As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Wasn’t the war still going on on Cyberton? The story was just following Optimus/Megatron.

Granted, it was so they could sell toys that transformed into Earth vehicles and electronics, but still.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Honestly I can't remember now, but I think you might be right. Think Shockwave was commanding the Decpticons on Cybertron and they were winning, or at least had control of the space bridge.

Edit:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/03/nycc-2019-transformers-syfy-wire-reveal-panel-397523

Oooh NYCC Reveal!!! They show what people are thinking is a prototype Zarak and Earth Mode Starscream. I'm not sure if I'll go for the Starscream, but drooling over a possible Scorponok. Although man, I want to get Omega Supreme... Bleh. Too many huge bots.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    One of the booths at NYCC has that ridiculous giant crowdfunding Unicron set up. Holy moly is he a big boy. Like I saw the video where he was being transformed, I saw him next to a human, but it's not the same as seeing him in person. Just the biggest of boys.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    One of the booths at NYCC has that ridiculous giant crowdfunding Unicron set up. Holy moly is he a big boy. Like I saw the video where he was being transformed, I saw him next to a human, but it's not the same as seeing him in person. Just the biggest of boys.

So you went and backed it right? Man, that is awesome you got to see it in person.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Images of Wheeljack, Cliffjumper, Hoist, Starscream (Earth), the Military Patrol and Soundbarrier are also up.

Soundbarrier is a battlemaster that turns into a shield.. but really into a ramp for the new playset mechanic.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/03/transformers-war-for-cybertron-earthrise-hoist-cliffjumper-wheeljack-ironworks-starscream-grapple-official-renders-and-hot-preoders-up-397830#more-397830

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i really like the earthrise stuff so far. the super weird detail and battle-damage stuff started to taper off in siege so the toys without it grew on me, but i am disappointed we didn't have more cybertronian things that didn't just look...well...as they did.

unrelated but the storm collectibles stuff as always looks great. and there will be a warden it looks like from gears of war

• Options
    I'm just bummed we didn't get Cybertronian Wheeljack or Bumblebee.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

So you went and backed it right? Man, that is awesome you got to see it in person.
    I am at what you might call an inflection point, where the lack of physical storage space, the grim realization that all material things are impermanent (see my post from some weeks ago about my old toys breaking down into fossil fuels), the re-evaluation of the value of things due to now having a kid, and just my own changing emotional landscape have caused me to nihilistically Marie Kondo my way through my collections. Of all things, not just toys. Currently, the idea of having to find space for something as large as a mid-sized dog makes me dry heave a little.

But this toy is absolutely a really impressive and amazing achievement. I'm definitely glad I stumbled across it, and could appreciate the sheer magnitude of it.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

I am at what you might call an inflection point, where the lack of physical storage space, the grim realization that all material things are impermanent (see my post from some weeks ago about my old toys breaking down into fossil fuels), the re-evaluation of the value of things due to now having a kid, and just my own changing emotional landscape have caused me to nihilistically Marie Kondo my way through my collections. Of all things, not just toys. Currently, the idea of having to find space for something as large as a mid-sized dog makes me dry heave a little.

But this toy is absolutely a really impressive and amazing achievement. I'm definitely glad I stumbled across it, and could appreciate the sheer magnitude of it.

Ahhh, well that is always a good thing (the reevaluation of things) and self control. I am currently hitting that wall where I have to start either thinning my collection or stop buying new stuff. I am used to living in clutter so it doesn't bother me much, but when you get married you have to think of others. So yeah, thinking of others when I buy stuff is keeping me in check. In fact, I'm thinking of cancelling some of my pre-orders just because I want to save space for possible future stuff.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Optimus, Cliffjumper and Starscream look real good.

Although I suspect Starscream might have hollow gaps in the forearms. Defintely seems to have them in the sides of his torso.

Cliffjumpers looks a lot like the first MP Bumblebee. so that'd be cool if they were the same size.

Wheeljack's arms look weird. The area of the forearms close to the elbows become thinner.

Grapple looks cool except for the hollow arm, thighs and feet

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    I was excited with Cliffjumper till I saw the real life version and the gaps have turned me off. I realize that it is a prototype version, but it bugged me. Funny you said Cliffjumper looks like the first version of MP G1 Bumblebee because I think the others also look similar as well. Prime, Starscream and Grapple look like cheaper MPs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Unicron made his funding goal with a day to spare.

• Options
    Unicron made his funding goal with a day to spare.

i mentioned this elsewhere but i'm glad it's getting made. it's really cool. not going to buy it, but still

• Options
    I know I promised photos of Transformers Barricade, but today I got my Amazon Japan order of Max's DX VF-1A. All I have to say is... I LOVE IT! Well ok, so I was slightly disappointed when I tried opening the box like the VF-31C and realizing that it opened like the Transformer Masterpieces instead. But once I got the trays out I fell in love with the VF-1 all over again. My wife laughed at me geeking out over all the paint details and the overall weight of it. I actually got it transformed by following the instructions and loved every second of it. Not sure if I got it 100% correct since the arms don't tab into anything for the shoulders. Also the joint where it attaches to the bar is confusing to me as well. But I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE EYE!!!! Oh my god, this is exactly like the painting on the front of my old Bandai VF-1A! That in itself is so worth it.

Transforming the DX VF-1A reminded me of the original VF-1A with their positioning of legs and such, but there are so many new improvements to that original design that I appreciate. The articulation, little details like the heat shield not being a piece you have to put on, see-through plastic pieces (like the eye, lights, etc.), and even a detailed cockpit with HUD. Someone on the TFW2005 forums told me earlier that I wouldn't find this version a super improvement to the original VF-1A and they were right. As much as the DX-VF-1A is a shining addition to my toy collection it didn't blow my socks off completely. I can't place my finger on it, but to me the original Bandai VF-1A is still the all time awesome VF-1 Valkyrie design.

My wife made a comment that I have to agree with. Standing the VF-1A next to the VF-31C shows how old the design is. The technological advances from then to now shows. The VF-31 is the current future of the Macross line while the VF-1 is the time machine taking me back to the 80s. I'm going to take both of them and find a place for them on my computer desk so I can fiddle with both of them.

I took some quick photos of it to share. Later I'll take some better photos of the other modes and stuff it comes with.

VF-1A_01.jpg
    VF-1A_02.jpg
    VF-1A_03.jpg

Plus I still owe you all here photos of Barricade. Plus I got Bluestreak and picked up a Mirage as well that needs some photos.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    So remember Big Firebird Arcee that caused a stir due to the concept art?

Turns out it doesn't have exposed nipples. So that's postive.

Still has ridiculous cleavage though

Coloured prototype pics gallery link just in case
    I think aside from the boobs, it looks alright. It seems to have a decent amount of articulation and the car cleans up alright.

It does however look to be a parts former based on the amount of detachable kibble.

It's a shame though there doesn't seems to be any indication of swapable chest that isn't terrible.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Oddly yeah, that Arcee doesn't look nearly as bad as some of the figures I've seen searching for Transformers on Japanese sites. I'm guessing the nipple thing was just a way for the designers to get attention to the toy and never planned on them for the final toy. So the question of the day is are you going to get it?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Did they seriously give her an alternate chestpiece with underboob

edit: Oh, that's not underboob that's just how it slots in. Still though, I can't tell the difference between the pieces.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Managed to snag a Black Series normal Mandalorian and carbonized Second Sister

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Has anybody heard if Hasbro is only going the vintage line for the 3.75" figures? It seems like they no longer have the regular line.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I probably won’t get that arcee due to the boobs. It just looks out of place

Although if I pretend it’s not arcee and some other kind of humanoid character like from tekkaman blade or bubblegum crisis it might be become more appealing but I just can’t not see it as the robot formerly known as arcee 😂

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Given the popularity of Frame Arm Girls and the like, I'm not surprised by the Firebird Arcee.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Given the popularity of Frame Arm Girls and the like, I'm not surprised by the Firebird Arcee.

I'm not falling for that trap and looking it up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Am I imagining things it was there a small led lit flower like the ones from the necroworld in IDW? I was googling around and couldn't find anything. I'm sure there are some fake flowers that could work as stand ins

• Options
    I have no idea what you're talking about WW.

• Options
    I looked up those flowers since I never knew about them. Sorry, I can't help since I never seen those before.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/product/variationdetails/54487

Just a heads up BBTS has TR Trypticons for $70.

• Options
    Also, if you’ve been having trouble sourcing Ectotron (or a second one so you can keep one MIB), BBTS is getting a shipment.

• Options
    Anyone know if the TFCC krok is any good? I was debating getting the Titans return version but I really am not a fan of the skullcruncher mold, not sure if the update to it with krok is any better

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Made the mistake of wandering through the toy section at my local target today.
    fk8lmxzgz8uv.jpg
    Kind of amusing that it only includes one instruction sheet for all three, but it makes sense, since all three are identical.

But the front of the instructions doesn't really clear it up very much as to which one is which...
    po6xpk7pm9ca.jpg

Edit: If you're curious, Ion is blue, Acid is green and Nova is yellow

see317 on
  • Options
    Got some stuff in the mail recently, so I guess it's time to MERGE FOR THE KILL

bYx86Bn.gif

Oh no, Brave City is under attack!
    vx1L64o.jpg

Whoever shall save them?

nWtoCLd.jpg

Oh, nevermind, I guess they're fucked.

So now that I've finally got him in my hot little hands, I'm a bit disappointed. I knew several of the individual figures would be lacking in articulation (often in ridiculously bad ways, like not being able to even bend their elbows), but even worse a few of the figures have such weak joints that they can't even hold up their weapons properly; which is why it's probably a good thing that they're likely to remain in combined form for the time being.

...that said, I have some beef with this combined mode; namely the arm joints are completely worthless. Both elbow joints are so weak they can't even properly hold their gun out (One is held by a screw that if I tighten any more, I'm pretty sure I'll strip the plastic, but I think I can fix it with some nail polish.. the other elbow is a pin joint though I have no idea how to tighten it.). On top of this, their shoulder rotation is kind of weak too.

Doing some research, and it looks like I should have just paid extra and gotten the Japanese version. Ah well. He still looks fantastic. Can't wait to have Omega knee him in the groin. Someday....

26I5RSe.jpg

Also nabbed Siege Shockwave on sale for $30. I wasn't going to grab him previously, but for $20 off, I couldn't help myself. (He's still on sale at Amazon, apparently!). The core figure is great, I'm actually liking the armored up version more than I thought I would.. the four arms is actually kind of a rare look for a Transformer. The sled you can make from the armor parts is neat, but I wish it pegged together better. Or better yet, I wish you could just build a drone or something out of it; make it a full weaponizer.

• Options
    Re: Siege Shockwave

Apparently it's a common problem that the pegs are loose in the sockets, and I've seen it suggested to use clear nail polish to thicken up the pegs in question.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    ARE
    ALL
    DEAD

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I so agree with the weapons sled for Shockwave. Luckily I passed on Shockwave and snagged the Shackwave instead. He looks much cooler with the red eye and in grey to me. But to be honest, I don't know why I picked him up other than it looked cool.

Edit: Sorry, he's called Galactic Man.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Shackwave sounds like the blacksploitation repaint of Shockwave.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Shackwave sounds like the blacksploitation repaint of Shockwave.

Not sure if you know the history behind the name so not assuming. Shackwave was the nickname because it was a grey version of Shockwave for Radio Shack. This the Shackwave name.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Good thing I did that Omega Supreme joke when I did, as mine finally got a delivery window :)

• Options
    So I was weak and got the X Transbots Taiho (Skids repaint to match the You're Under Arrest car and two figures). Mainly because I loved the car, ladies and cars. I took photos of the figures and car really quick. Haven't transformed it yet, but don't really care since I thought it was a cool police car. I need to print out a turbo scoop for it then it'll be perfect. Also clean off the paint from Miyuki's nose since that is annoying.

Here are some photos:

taiho_01.jpg
    taiho_02.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Here he comes to save the day
    HBcZcps.jpg

yiFpbBV.jpg
    (Pictured with Siege Shockwave for size comparison)

Got my Omega Supreme in and wow this is a nice figure. My only real complaint is he's quite the workout to transform. He has VERY stiff joints (which is good because of his size), some parts were a huge pain to get apart (pulling out the tank component especially) and those Earthrise style clips for his road components are HUGE paint in the ass to get together and take apart, which makes me a little worried for Earthrise.

qu8cdEE.jpg
    His transformation is actually really clever; his arms becoming a bigass rocket is actually kind of ingenious given how much extra size it adds to the rocket. (Seriously, that rocket is HUGE!). His base mode is neat enough (you can totally tell half of it is just him sitting down with his legs out, but oh well.) and his little tank is pretty neat too. You can actually shove micromasters all over him: in his rocket, in his tank and you can throw tons of them in his shin compartments in both base and robot mode.

2jJ8uaO.jpg
    Also he comes with a bunch of blast effects and man, these things are neat. I wish I could just buy a pack of them.

mEcPxjr.jpg
    I also finally got my Lancer, who's another version of the female autobot mold. Unfortunately, Orthia is just a mess of proportions, the newer figures don't fit onto the feet components properly (the hole is too big so they instantly fall off or slide around) and the whole thing barely holds together. Certainly not enough for me to convert Chromia into a fan-moded gun for her to wild. Probably gonna leave these guys separate. But hey, after 34 years, they've all got toys!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Some pics of my recent haul, minus Figma Rider of Black. I'll try to take a pic of it next weekend

Omega Supreme!

Omega Supreme is a huuuuge bot! I wasn't really able to take a good shot of him as my foam board isn't a big enough background. He also towers over Titan Predaking.

If I had one complain about him it would be his iddy-biddy upper arms. When you do a full 90 degree bend at the elbow it just looks ridiculous. Like he just has shoulders and giant forearms. Other than that though he's amazing.

P6lgVMB.jpg

Artfx J Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia.

I've been a bit interested in getting statues for a while now, but was reluctant due to the price and size. His guy is actually pretty big complained to something like a figma. And it's the same height as MP Ratchet, so basically between a Voyager and Leader in height I guess.

The main reason I got this as a test to see if it's worth getting into. And it is, as I've also pre-order my actual favorite character of My Hero Academia, Mina Ashido from Bellfine line of My Hero Academia Statues

sqnVDXQ.jpg
    wx56jRQ.jpg
    faBCHzA.jpg

SOC Dairugger/Vehicle Voltron

Trying to pose this guy was a pain. The movement in his hips is awkward due to the front and side hip skits always getting in the way. Despite the wheels on the feet collapsing up into the car, the wheels still make doing dynamic poses a bitch. I'm not sure if its because they still roll a bit or the tyres cause him to slip a bit, or even if its the hips not being strong enough to hold the poses, bout basically its very easy to give him the splits. He does have a full 90 degree bend at the knee and plenty of other points of articulation, it's just very awkward trying to handle him.

Also for some reason his left arm keeps coming out. Not sure if there's another locking mechanism or maybe the outward should joint is just too fucking tight. Seriously I feel like I'm going to break these joints.

Still, he does look cool.

Don't have of al it's accessories as I was lazy. Basically V-Voltron has a similar storage to Lion Voltron. Only his lets him store his hands underneath. To be honest though, I really hate displaying the accessories on these stands as they feel like a waste of shelf space. At least MP-10 Optimus and MP-44 Optimus's trailers can be used a stand to elevate other characters on the shelves.

EDIT: Just realised I forgot to fold in the wheels on the forearms. D'oh!

IVXQcim.jpg
    UFf8aJJ.jpg
    0UdE5TG.jpg

"Oh No! Abusive Dad's got his belt out! AND his Mercedes-Benz logo!"

S879yLi.jpg
    GJLreRY.jpg
    49wk0XL.jpg
    XyYmO8b.jpg
    qteXc7Q.jpg
    sFcsIpI.jpg
    Tvdk2CI.jpg
    VYKGNK6.jpg

"Oh no! Dad's got his Mercedes-Benz logo out again!"

lvQN9M9.jpg
    rlJCaE4.jpg
    zuqMwYT.jpg
    cwv1bS5.jpg

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Holy cow, thanks for the photos of Omega Supreme @Undead Scottsman and @Heatwave . Man, your shot of him with Devastator @Undead Scottsman makes me wonder if I really want one now. Back when he was first announced I wanted one in the worst way. But seeing how big he is I'm now questioning my decision since I have a Trypticon and Fortress Maximus standing on the floor as it is. Ah heck, knowing me once I see one for $80 or so I'll probably bite and regret it.

@Heatwave Man, I'm jealous of you having Dairugger (Voltron) already. I've read others complaining about the arm issue, but not the rolling hard to pose issue. Guess I don't care much since I wanted one ever since I was little. This reminds me that I need to take out my Lion Voltron to check out. The figure you got really is detailed like crazy. I have no idea who it is, but he really is colorful.

Edit: @Undead Scottsman I forgot to add that I agree that Orthia really isn't good looking combined. It honestly looks like an abomination, but I am keeping her combined for shelf space.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
This discussion has been closed.