As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The Knowing is one of my favorite albums of all time, but unfortunately nothing else I've heard from them grabbed me like it. This new one sounds like it might be more similar, so I'll definitely check it out.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    Not normally a huge fan of Novembers Doom but I have to say, I've got the promo for the new album and I like the sort of Katatonia and Pink Floyd influences they mix in, plus their doomier heavy parts feel more dynamic now with of a tempo range.

oooo i check out

obF2Wuw.png
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Öxxö Xööx, the weird French avant-garde metal band on a mission to use up the world's supply of umlauts in their made-up language, has a new album coming out - Ÿ

https://youtu.be/ENbwZgycPo4

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Öxxö Xööx, the weird French avant-garde metal band on a mission to use up the world's supply of umlauts in their made-up language, has a new album coming out - Ÿ

https://youtu.be/ENbwZgycPo4

More like

Ÿ N̈öẗ?

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

Nice. I’ll listen to pretty much anything even tangentially related to Igorrr.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Not normally a huge fan of Novembers Doom but I have to say, I've got the promo for the new album and I like the sort of Katatonia and Pink Floyd influences they mix in, plus their doomier heavy parts feel more dynamic now with of a tempo range.

I keep hoping they manage to put out an album that connects with a lot of people. I've really enjoyed their last few releases after kinda losing touch with them for a few years. Maybe this will be the one!

Paul joked on Facebook a few years ago that they should title their next album "Honorable Mention" since that's where their stuff tends to show up on end-of-the-year categorizations on various websites.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Ozzy Osbourne has had to delay the European leg of No More Tours 2 again due to ill-health. He insists he's not dying, just taking longer to recover than expected from a year of assorted illnesses and ailments (and surgery). The US leg is still going ahead as planned, at least at the moment, and the European dates will be rescheduled in due course.

Get well soon, Ozz.

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    He needs to stop.

My color is black to the blind
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    New Entrails, Profanatica, Screamer. Being a headbanger provides an endless embarrassment of riches. Beats the 90s.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    In The Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson is 50 years old today. A huge amount of the music that shows up in this thread has some roots leading back to that album.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Ozzy Osbourne has had to delay the European leg of No More Tours 2 again due to ill-health. He insists he's not dying, just taking longer to recover than expected from a year of assorted illnesses and ailments (and surgery). The US leg is still going ahead as planned, at least at the moment, and the European dates will be rescheduled in due course.

Get well soon, Ozz.

I remember buying a No More Tours concert t-shirt in like 1993.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2019
    They should just title the tour something a little more honest

Like “Ozzy needs money to cover his medical bills from all of his other touring” tour

Vanguard on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    New Entrails, Profanatica, Screamer. Being a headbanger provides an endless embarrassment of riches. Beats the 90s.

And new Ultha, Singularity and Signs of the Swarm

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    What’s the dumbest, shittiest grindcore I can post to balance out the prog from last page

Check it

https://youtu.be/EO2RtXcUrzY

Blackened doom, Italy

The new Vukari album is pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az4fqSbH3hg

Yo this fuckin kills btw

I just bought mp3s of the old noothgrush/corrupted split that 20 buck spin rereleased

Noothgrush still looms large in my mind from that era for hateful fuckin sludge

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Too bad it’s gone from shorts and tshirt weather to winter jacket weather where I am.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    It's 95 here today.

edited October 2019
    That's one of the first times I've ever agreed with Grim Kim! But agree I do!

Beautiful, dark, on-the-verge-of-raining 48 degrees here on the MA/NH border.

autothrall on
    edited October 2019
    Hey, was Lords of Chaos any good?

Like, $5 on iTunes good?

Descendant X on
    edited October 2019
    Hey, was Lords of Chaos any good?

Like, $5 on iTunes good?

Opinions vary.

I saw it at the cinema and pre-ordered the Blu-ray ASAP (the Arrow release in the UK is superb), and have watched it a couple more times since, so I'm very much in the "yes" camp.

Don't expect blow-by-blow levels of historical accuracy, or any focus on bands outside Mayhem and a bit of Burzum; it's very much a biopic story about Euro and Dead, and Euro and Varg, rather than the scene as a whole. All three of the central performances (and many of the supporting ones) are properly fantastic, and it balances out its darkness and horrific moments with some genuinely good and quite subtle humor that pokes fun at how seriously some of the characters can take themselves. It has stuck with me in a way that doesn't happen often, and I say that as something of a movie buff.

Also, real life Varg hates it, which is a pretty good recommendation. :wink:

Jazz on
    Shit, I don’t even care now if the movie sucks. I’ma spend that $5 just to spite Varg.

edited October 2019
    I wouldn't say it sucked at all, it just took a few liberties to make it seem more glamorous than it probably was (Varg sleeping with groupies, etc). Numerous parties represented in the film have come out about how it's not all true, although there are specific details the director got right, and as unreliable as we might find some of their accounts, I certainly believe some of it was botched as it is with every film adaptation.

autothrall on
    edited October 2019
    The tagline is bang on, isn't it: "Based on truth... lies... and what actually happened", reads the extended tagline as the movie opens.

Jonas Akerlund says he differentiates "truth" from "what actually happened" because everyone involved, or even interested in it, seems to have their own "truth", not least because it's been mythologised so much in the years since. Which makes a lot of sense.

The broad strokes are right ("what actually happened", there's enough of that that we know), and there are obvious adaptations made (Ann-Marit is a completely fictional character, for example). But approach it definitely as a movie and not a documentary, and I think it more than succeeds in what it sets out to do.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the rest of the scene on the periphery, but can also see how that could have easily bogged it down.

Jazz on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    There's another Leprous song out. I like it but it's also soooo poppy, and the rest of the band takes a bit of a backseat in this one again. Not my favourite by them. Initial reviews are saying this is better than their last album but not by much. I still liked their last album but it's never going to be my go to.

edited October 2019
    desc on
    I came across this audio of Opeth playing "The Twilight is My Robe" live in 1996 and it's pretty good! Mikael's clean vocals are a bit weak compared to what they are now, but I'd say that was mostly true on the Orchid album too. His harsh vocals were in top form, though. He definitely doesn't sound like this anymore when they play older stuff.

https://youtu.be/ka_HkyrTH3c

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    One of my favorite Opeth songs.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So, not a band, but definitely worth mentioning here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=758YGA4Rp3Y

This just came out on Steam and it's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. It almost feels like what you'd get if Nathan Explosion asked some indy devs to make a video game.

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So, not a band, but definitely worth mentioning here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=758YGA4Rp3Y

This just came out on Steam and it's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. It almost feels like what you'd get if Nathan Explosion asked some indy devs to make a video game.

I've had my eye on that for a while now. It's the guy's follow-up to Slain! - Back from Hell, which was also quite metal.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    desc wrote: »

I was at that show but got there too late for merch

Slain! was fun. I've still gotta crack into Valfaris but I'm still playing my Halloween marathon games.

Speaking of which, I just finished Dark Pictures: Man of Medan and there is a Khemmis tune in the intro!

Vanguard wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

I was at that show but got there too late for merch

i cri evr tiem ;_;

I saw At the Gates, Arch Enemy, and Amon Amarth last night. Also caught a bit of Grand Magus, who started playing while we were lined up outside the building and were 3/4ths of the way through their set by the time we got inside.

Good show overall. I'd never seen Arch Enemy before. I've not really followed them at all since Wages of Sin and even that album wasn't something I was a huge fan of. All I knew is that they didn't play "Beast of Man" which is always the first song I think of when I hear the band's name. Their current vocalist seems all right.

I'm still a big fan of At the Gates, but I think I've realized that their post-Slaughter of the Soul material just isn't terribly necessary for me, and I kinda get bored when they play those songs live. I'm glad I got to see them in 2012 when they played "Raped by the Light of Christ". I was kind of surprised that they played before Arch Enemy, but I guess AE has put out a lot more material.

Amon Amarth was Amon Amarth! I've seen them a few times now too, so I knew what to expect. It reminded me that I hadn't picked up their new album yet, so I went ahead and ordered it from Barnes & Noble since I had a gift card lying around.

I also ordered the first Grand Magus album and the last one from Corrosion of Confomity.

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    @autothrall I'm back from my trip so let me know if you need anything added to RYM.

The new Sarcasm album kicks some butt, it's as if you were still smack dab in the middle of the 90s Swedish melodic death metal revolution and this band had never disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mhU2XQX020

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The new Sarcasm album kicks some butt, it's as if you were still smack dab in the middle of the 90s Swedish melodic death metal revolution and this band had never disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mhU2XQX020

Holy shit this is 100% my jam

I've neglected to post my concert experiences here due to some ongoing personal life stuff but since I last checked in I saw the new The Faceless lineup and tbh they were pretty great live. My only criticism of the concert was that the people in the pit didn't know good pit etiquette and I got punched right in the nuts -_-

I caught Dragonforce a few days ago and man, there just ain't no pit like a power metal pit. Everyone is just having such a wholesome good time that like half the concert everyone is just arm in arm jumping around and just, damn, yeah, I fucking love power metal shows. Dragonforce was also pretty killer live. I remember the early days where they would catch shit for not being that good but these days the band has definitely leveled the fuck up and absolutely kill their stuff in person. When Fury of the Storm kicked in everyone lost their fucking minds and it sounded just so good. Also we had a mosh pit to a power metal version of Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On and it was the weirdest fucking pit I've ever been in but still an A+ experience.

Tomorrow is Sabaton and despite this being my second time seeing them my body still ain't ready cause I know it's gonna be a killer show.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.