As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I don't think so. If she's cut everybody else out as well, that's more concerning to me than the vaccine drama.

That statement of hers is really bizzare too, like manic bipolar bizzare.

My aunt, her mom, is a lifelong nurse, so I figured it was best to alert her and bow out. I really don’t know much about her since we’ve never been close. Hope she gets the physical, mental, and emotional help she need. At the very least for her kid’s sake.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Ugh, we were already in a toddler-ish phase with Oliver from around 16-18 months, but I think it's hitting for real now at 19 months with his acquisition of "mine". Every damn thing is "mine". I'm trying to acknowledge to him when his food or toys are legitimately his versus just about everything else, but he does not give two craps about my explanations.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I caught Little King when he toppled off the couch and he thanked me. Quite proud of that one.

So I went "wherever would you be without your dad eh", he considered that for a second ..."on the ground"

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Woo, short family holiday overnight in wine country!

...what is it about hotel trips that gives a 50% chance of projectile vomit within 12 hours of arrival?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

...what is it about hotel trips that gives a 50% chance of projectile vomit within 12 hours of arrival?

I'm certainly 1 for 2 on that account so far.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PHpltFcTSI

This is an older clip, but it was great watching his reaction to triplets. Anyone here have that them? I'm sure we have some twins, but wasn't sure about the big 3.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    Damian has croup. Someone come rescue me please.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Taramoor has triplets! Been thinking about them lately, actually.

Probably because I'm rereading Wheel of Time again.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My son is 20 weeks old today.

The four month sleep regression has hit him hard.

Initially started with him barely napping throughout the day and waking every 40 mins at night.

Currently he's waking every hour or so which I know isn't that unusual it's just that we'd had a couple of weeks of him waking once throughout the whole night.

Last night it was 2100 and he was just going crazy on the bed "running" and flinging his arms about.

Fortunately we've found some piano lullabies on YouTube that seem to really help him get to sleep.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    help i'm dying of cuteness overload

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

Home again. Fresh laundered sheets deployed to beds.

Corollary: what is it about clean sheets that invariably results in a bleeding nose at 5am?

*sigh*

Well, I guess I had all this holiday laundry to do anyway.

• Options
    I listen to the Co-optional Podcast where Genna Baine, Jesse Cox, Dodger and a guest occasionally talk about videogames. Dodger has a young kid with Pippin (they're both streamers) and its funny to see them going through the same shit as most of us here. She was super tired during an episode and everyone assumed it was because of a charity event she hosted, but it was because her kid was up all night crying instead. I think we've all been there: going to work, playing videogames, doing whatever... Fine. But its the kids that throw a wrench in whatever plans you had to get your energy back. Like, I can get by with 6 hrs of sleep, but only if I can just wake up on my own volition and not because a tiny human decides to freak out at 5 in the morning.

• Options
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Sapling seems to be going through a separation anxiety phase. Over the past week she's gotten progressively more clingy pretty much all the time. I'm just worried because most things say separation anxiety should be tapering off around 2 yr, not ramping up.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Leah got pink eye last week. Gave it to baby Aubree by the end of the week. Some how they have both remained very positive, energetic kids nearly the whole time. I’m exhausted, but at least the kids are happy.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Sapling seems to be going through a separation anxiety phase. Over the past week she's gotten progressively more clingy pretty much all the time. I'm just worried because most things say separation anxiety should be tapering off around 2 yr, not ramping up.

it comes and goes in stages.

Ellie mostly got over it around 2, but now at 3.5 there are still days/moments/times when she simply cannot fathom her father being out of her sight for more than a minute. Never mind that i'm right next to her. But if he goes away from her then it's the end of the world.

these things, they happen.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    D O U B L E D A D

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So, now that it is (canadian) thanksgiving, one channel is marathoning all the star wars, in chronological order. I was worried, since Mini-Muzz had no interest when the prequels played, but now that we're at ANH, she's watching with great intensity.

No...I'm not crying... got sand in my eye. It's coarse, and gets everywhere.

Edit: I forgot how good the OT is compared to the prequels, the dialogue is witty, but not cringy.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    I'm waiting for my son to get a bit older to show them Star Wars. Want to get that reveal reaction on video. And I'll be going with the 4, 5, 1-3, 6 ordering. Gives you the Vadar reveal without ruining how the whole thing ends, although it does ruin the Twins surprise.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I've always felt the Vader reveal more important to the the twins reveal, so it's gonna be 4-5-6, 1-2-3 for her when she actually can follow the plot.

I remember watching ANH as a kid, and being incredibly bored during the climax, because I didn't know what the assault of the Death Star was supposed to be. I also thought the planet Yavin (it dissapeared in the 1997 special edition) was the thing that they had to fight against, since it took up so much of the sky.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    21 months and Ripley has learned "owie" and just screams that at the top of her lungs anytime she wants just about anything .

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Both of my littles fake injuries as a method of getting out of trouble. And they don't even fake them well- they'll get confronted about negative behavior, and a leg injury from last month will *magically* return as a central concern, right-now ouch Dad ouch

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Seven hours.

Seven hours this one has been alive before trying to shit directly onto me.

She missed though. This time.

• Options
    Oh so that's what your previous post meant.

Congratulations @Mojo_Jojo !

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Seven hours.

Seven hours this one has been alive before trying to shit directly onto me.

She missed though. This time.

That's what, her first poop? She's got her whole life ahead of her to perfect her aim.

You're toast.

(congrats!)

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Her sister never got me, but I know I'm on borrowed time

• Options
    Sometimes winning at parenting is nothing more than your 3yo starts their vomiting well before midnight while you're still up & awake, you get them out of bed and most of the way to the kitchen enough that clean up is 2 minutes with a mop instead of 20 with carpet cleaner and/or stripping the bedsheets, and you just happened to be wearing an old banger Tee and not like a nostalgic concert one from your favourite band that broke up 20 years ago and you'll never be able to replace.

Yeah, that's winning.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm waiting for my son to get a bit older to show them Star Wars. Want to get that reveal reaction on video. And I'll be going with the 4, 5, 1-3, 6 ordering. Gives you the Vadar reveal without ruining how the whole thing ends, although it does ruin the Twins surprise.

I keep hoping the Phantom Menace cut that removes all the dumb scenes about midichlorians will eventually come out, because otherwise I usually do 4, 5, 2, 3, 6.

• Options
    I know I'm an outsider here, but I liked TPM. Sure, it had some cringe stuff, but it really wasn't that bad (at least to me). Part of the bigger problem (outside of no one telling Lucas "no") is that the movie was aimed for kids...which the 20+ Star Wars audience didn't like.

But whatever. It's been over 20 years now, so it's time to let go of the past. I'm sure my kids will relate to kid-Anakin and his Podracing ways. Sure, they'll probably look back and groan, but don't we all do that with movies from our childhood?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I actually don't mind TPM either. Most of my complaints are the lines they made Anakin say. Things like "Are you an angel?" and the yippees during pod racing are just painful, way worse than Jar Jar to me. I really like Qui Gon and Obi Wan together, Darth Maul was great, pod racing was fun and I liked the woman who played Anakin's mom. If they could go back and edit out some of the awkward lines and replace the offensive alien voices of the trade federation it would fix most of my issues.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Both of my littles fake injuries as a method of getting out of trouble. And they don't even fake them well- they'll get confronted about negative behavior, and a leg injury from last month will *magically* return as a central concern, right-now ouch Dad ouch

This is where we are. Kid is at school and doesn't understand something in math? "My stomach hurts".

Tired and doesn't want to go to bed? "My leg hurts".

Doesn't want to do homework? "I can't because my leg and knee are hurting and STOP TALKING ABOUT HOMEWORK!"

Oy vey.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So my father passed this morning peacefully. But I had Kate by myself so she went with me to their house. I made the decision to not let her see him even though he looked like he was sleeping although paler than normal. It’s been hard trying to explain what has transpired to her. She says she understands but then later will ask if grandpa will be there when we go back for dinner in a little bit. This is so much blah. I’m fine as my Dad and I never really got along and as his dementia took over he never was that mean man I dealt with growing up. Just sucks to explain to Kate as she really loved and enjoyed him. Even Saturday evening when he was basically non responsive and starting out in space, she climbed up in his hospital bed and laid beside him and sang him songs. I have many pictures of her and him that I will show her so she can remember him.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I"m sorry for your loss, and for Kate's loss.

I wish I had some helpful advice, but i don't. Just a whole lot of empathy

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    It just sucks trying to answer “Where did grandpa go?” The things I read this morning while trying to educate myself on dealing with death with preschoolers said not to dodge questions, be brief, share your emotions but not to use euphemisms. So that answer becomes more difficult and to be honest I can’t remember what I told her exactly.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    it's not the same as a grandparent, but we recently went through the same thing with our cat.

Ellie (3.5) understands that shadow got very sick and had to go to the Vet and then went to sleep forever. But saying that, she still includes Shadow in her list of "the family will do this" at times.

"Mommy will feed the dollies, and Daddy will cook the dolly's food, and Ellie will give them their milk bottles, and Shadow will give them night night cuddles"

And we just, we just let it go. It destroys us a little and we still hold back tears, but other than the occasional gentle reminder that Shadow isn't coming back, we just let her play.

And who knows, maybe Shadow is here in some way and is giving the dollies cuddles and Ellie can sense that.

Good luck, friend. I do not envy you on this journey. but we're hear to listen when you need to cry/vent.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I am so tired :(

He's got a bit of a cold/fever which has peaked today but he won't sleep unless being held.

It's almost midnight and he's currently splayed across my lap asleep.

Wife has a really bad cold herself so she's knackered too.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Helping my youngest with his hoodie zipper this morning and he just full blast coughs right in my face. He did apologize but UUUUUGGHH

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Helping my youngest with his hoodie zipper this morning and he just full blast coughs right in my face. He did apologize but UUUUUGGHH

This was about a year ago now: I was just getting over being sick, my son was just getting started with it, and I was bending to get him out of his food chair when he straight up sneezed in my face full on. I called it his brachiosaurus sneeze.

I got sick again, too.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I swear, Little Man brings home everything that enters that school, gets over it in one day, and my wife and I proceed to pass it back and forth for a week before the cycle starts up again

Middle Guy got a night light from a promo tent at the pumpkin patch we went to this weekend. I found out last night he isn't sleeping with the light actually plugged in- he's sleeping with it tucked under his arm, like a super uncomfortable stuffed animal (it isn't even toylike- the light itself is the symbol for our local children's hospital, this child makes no sense to me)

Also Tiny Wonder is still fighting us on, talking (it's not even that he can't, it's that he doesn't want the nook out of his mouth ever), but somehow he can now whistle like nobody's business, because of course