As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a good [job] thread, Elmo

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    I got Columbus day off as well. I like it and feel guilty at the same time

Just consider it a day off for my birthday. It's celebrated in two countries! They just call it Thanksgiving in Canada for some reason.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No Columbus Day here in Minnesota.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Whew, why is it when I'm leaving early that I get a ton of shit to do???

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Whew, why is it when I'm leaving early that I get a ton of shit to do???

We've already established people like giving you stuff

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    My office is next to a history teacher. She lectures, endlessly. I hear every word and some days it drives me insane.

She's talking about the Ogallala Aquifer in the central US. It's a gigantic aquifer, largest in the Americas. I knew this, I grew up in a place where it's a Big Deal. But all of this is background for the gems she dropped today.

Student: "Why is it called Ogallala? Where is that place?"
    Teacher: "Ogallala is not a place, it's just the name of the aquifer."
    Me (internally): "Ogallala is a town in Nebraska and the aquifer is named after it because it was the closest place to where the discovery was made."

Teacher: "The high plains are a desert, tumbleweeds and sand, and without the aquifer farming there would be impossible."
    Me (internally): "THERE IS NOT A SINGLE WORD OF THAT SENTENCE YOU JUST SAID THAT IS FACTUALLY CORRECT."

Steam
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    No Columbus Day here in Minnesota.

Yeah, people are bigger fans of the vikings up here.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    uhhh that teacher needs a talking to

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    My office is next to a history teacher. She lectures, endlessly. I hear every word and some days it drives me insane.

She's talking about the Ogallala Aquifer in the central US. It's a gigantic aquifer, largest in the Americas. I knew this, I grew up in a place where it's a Big Deal. But all of this is background for the gems she dropped today.

Me (internally): "Ogallala is a town in Nebraska and the aquifer is named after it because it was the closest place to where the discovery was made."

Teacher: "The high plains are a desert, tumbleweeds and sand, and without the aquifer farming there would be impossible."
    Me (internally): "THERE IS NOT A SINGLE WORD OF THAT SENTENCE YOU JUST SAID THAT IS FACTUALLY CORRECT."

PZ5fgdO.png

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I mean what are plains if not a wet desert, a flat mountain, a tall valley, a semi-dry swamp, an unsalted ocean, and/or a lavaless volcano?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Stephen Long, who led the first white people scientific exhibition in the 1820s through the area called the great planes the "Great American Desert."

But maybe she is just talking out of her ass.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Welp, it was announced on Friday that my office is moving to the city.

So I'm going to be essentially solid work from home unless needed for meetings.

fuck that noise.

So irritated now.

• Options
    Stephen Long, who led the first white people scientific exhibition in the 1820s through the area called the great planes the "Great American Desert."

I would give her that if she had ever explained that prior to the 19th century desert used to mean uninhabited lands devoid of trees, but in the 19th century the world evolved to the modern definition. Also she specified SAND!

The Great Plains were uninhabitable by the standards of the time. But they were by no stretch of the imagination a wasteland devoid of life. She had just been talking about the Transcontinental Railroad (quote: "It connected the East to the West, and it also connected the West back to the East!") so talking about how technology (like barbed wire!) changed what was seen as uninhabitable would have been logical. But that wasn't even touched on.

It also could have been a great way to talk about how language changes and adapts over time in terms of things like desert, and how it can have an effect on today (fuck you 2nd amendment) but nope.

Steam
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    California state workers don't have Columbus Day, fuck that holiday, off because we agreed to forgo it in favor of two floating holidays we can use whenever.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I mean what are plains if not a wet desert, a flat mountain, a tall valley, a semi-dry swamp, an unsalted ocean, and/or a lavaless volcano?

Before I finished parsing this, I flashed back to those "geographical features" illustrations which jams them all together, much like your typical video game overworld map.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

I would give her that if she had ever explained that prior to the 19th century desert used to mean uninhabited lands devoid of trees, but in the 19th century the world evolved to the modern definition. Also she specified SAND!

The Great Plains were uninhabitable by the standards of the time. But they were by no stretch of the imagination a wasteland devoid of life. She had just been talking about the Transcontinental Railroad (quote: "It connected the East to the West, and it also connected the West back to the East!") so talking about how technology (like barbed wire!) changed what was seen as uninhabitable would have been logical. But that wasn't even touched on.

It also could have been a great way to talk about how language changes and adapts over time in terms of things like desert, and how it can have an effect on today (fuck you 2nd amendment) but nope.

She probably wasn't talking about the sandhills portion of Nebraska, I'm guessing.

But, you know they ran into quicksand when building railroads. We all saw Blazing Saddles.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Today is Columbus (yuck) Day. I am not off however. We are open, and doing work, and our branches are doing transactions, but they are just not...processing. So tomorrow, I won't have any actual work to do, because all of that stuff won't process until tomorrow and won't be available in our system until Wednesday. So Wednesday is going to be crazy. but tomorrow? Nothing to do for any of us.

We still have to be here though.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

fuck that noise.

So irritated now.

That's incredibly frustrating.

• Options
    Has anyone ever purchased one of those lamps that comes on slowly over time to gently wake you up? Not necessarily for SAD but I hate being jolted awake in the pitch black dark now it's autumn.

All the ones I see for sale cost £££.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Has anyone ever purchased one of those lamps that comes on slowly over time to gently wake you up? Not necessarily for SAD but I hate being jolted awake in the pitch black dark now it's autumn.

I’ve used the Phillips wake up light for years. Love it during the dark time of the year. Usually wakes me up a few min before alarm too.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Some of those things are in sight of my house. The wet desert in a valley. the semi dry swamp and to the south, a deactive volcano {it spewed volcanic mud during the ice age as this area was a volcanic hell then}

They don't call it Columbus day here but indigenous peoples day. Still I remember when it first came up was when there was a girl in an art class ranted about how it was called Columbus day and his legacy

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I keep eyeing them but haven't gone for one yet. I think Eufy made a well reviewed knock off one.

FakeEdit: Which I can't find right now. You could do something real similar and more customizable with their smart bulbs and scheduling app though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

fuck that noise.

So irritated now.

I love working from home. But it was nice knowing that I had a desk with my things on it that I could call 'home' in the office.

I will be losing that now, and that just seems so very bleak and depressing. I just bought a new Funko Pop thing too.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

I’ve used the Phillips wake up light for years. Love it during the dark time of the year. Usually wakes me up a few min before alarm too.

I had a phillips one that eventually died, now I'm using some off brand one that isn't as good but still does the trick. Looking on amazon all the ones at about $40 seem to be probable variants on the one I got, so I'd say give that a go and see how you like it. It would NOT be good for SAD, I have a different and MUCH brighter lamp for that. Also no clue if the radio on it is any good, I just use the birdsong for the wake up alarm.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Looks like we're holding a strike vote, first week of November.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

What's really infuriating about this is that you can't get away with this shit in the age of the internet. Some kid is just going to search for the answer, and when they discover that you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about AND you're unwilling to admit it, then they are just going to become disillusioned or worse. Like, the best outcome here is that the kids believe you and they walk around with the wrong information in their heads. And that's the best outcome.

Just fucking admit you don't know and look it up. Jesus Christ.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I need to learn how to cook beef as a steak, not as strips or hamburger. I cooked my breakfast? (last thing I eat before sleep) and the inside was too read and I swear it was cold. Put it back onto the skillet with a deeper sear.

I go to sleep eagerly anticipating the toxic coworker snitching on me to HR.

Why yes, I did start early. I got special permission from a supervisor as I was covering an open shift on my day off and making up missed patrols. This was after the conversation we had about my missing hours and how that was a tremendous burden on my concentration

• Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll look into those and report back!

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I need to learn how to cook beef as a steak, not as strips or hamburger. I cooked my breakfast? (last thing I eat before sleep) and the inside was too read and I swear it was cold. Put it back onto the skillet with a deeper sear.

I go to sleep eagerly anticipating the toxic coworker snitching on me to HR.

Why yes, I did start early. I got special permission from a supervisor as I was covering an open shift on my day off and making up missed patrols. This was after the conversation we had about my missing hours and how that was a tremendous burden on my concentration

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-Steak-Is-Done-Using-the-Finger-Test

Seriously, the finger test is great. It's not perfect, but it's a fantastic rule of thumb.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Heh. I get it.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Had a one hour Skype interview for a robotics R&D role which I think went pretty well.
    Time to panic because I'm a fraud who has gotten every job I've ever had through a combination of bullshit and hiring ineptitude and this time I'll be found out imposter syndrome.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    now now, I understand that you are in fact a very talented imposter.

• Options
    Maybe I can con my brain by telling myself the real goal is to pull a Mr Ripley.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Imposto

an imposter who lays it on real thick

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Imposto

Chico ...

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Imposto

Chico ...

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Chico ...

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I just really do not want to go to work today.

I'm sitting down at a place counting minutes before I need to get back up and leave and fuck man

Damn

Dang

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Job thread I got some great news. The paperwork went through in record time, so I'll be able to work on the 21st, rather than be kinda funemployed for 10+ days.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

fuck that noise.

So irritated now.

I love working from home. But it was nice knowing that I had a desk with my things on it that I could call 'home' in the office.

I will be losing that now, and that just seems so very bleak and depressing. I just bought a new Funko Pop thing too.

Choose a coworker. Every time you get called in for a meeting, sneak one more of your office decorations onto their desk until you have completely colonized it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.