As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Catching up with VinnyVania. Boy, game seems like kind of a slog, especially with the boss fights. I don't remember Symphony fights being quite so long.

Vinny could stand to farm up the strength of some of his shards. Once I figured out the ones I liked, I farmed the crap out of them.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Weird way to spell Get On My Level

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Vinny's playstyle in Bloodstained doesn't always work very well to show what makes the game fun. I haven't watched the latest episode, but he's often pretty reluctant to do stuff like craft and eat food, play around with different shards, and level up the good shards. And it's understandable, because I can't imagine that is as fun to watch as it is to do. Few people want to watch people grind for levels or materials in a game.

It also doesn't help that there's a lot of time spent between gameplay sessions.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Vinny's also missing the strategy to tank bosses and just muscle through the game by buying/crafting nothing but pizzas. He's good enough at the boss fights that one or two big health items would get him through most of them on his first or second try.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yeah I just got the impression that he really needed to spend more time grinding, which would be a better thing to do off screen, except he can't really because of time constraints. I am surprised he doesn't test more of the shards though.

I will defend him and say that heretical grinder does seem really good. But I don't have a good flavor of a lot of the others.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Grinder got nerfed so it is not quite as good as used to be. Also, Vinny could be using attacks with more range or MP efficiency. Grinder effectively has the same range as his regular attacks.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The impression I got is that he prefers old school Castelvania games to the new ones, so I'm not surprised he wouldn't engage with the new mechanics they introduced.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think he's said that he wasn't really into the SOTN-style RPG trappings. Though I just watched ep 6 or 7 and he did say at one point he's enjoying Bloodstained.

But yeah, his habits in traditional castlevania games might be holding him back a bit in this one.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    That's the thing. The game does have classic Castlevania analogs if Vinny wants a more familiar moveset.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    This Godzilla fighting game in Ranking of Fighters has, out of nine characters, one that is completely broken and one that is completely worthless. There are also two Mechagodzilla monsters to choose from.
    And sure enough it just got placed very close to the bottom of the list.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Rehab wrote: »
    This Godzilla fighting game in Ranking of Fighters has, out of nine characters, one that is completely broken and one that is completely worthless. There are also two Mechagodzilla monsters to choose from.
    And sure enough it just got placed very close to the bottom of the list.

The game's version of the Godzilla theme is the best element.

Edit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-5gS08vlGc&list=PLB0xooEkKbSbbKJt3Ti4ducrFod-aYzSq&index=3

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm a little ahead of Vinny in Bloodstained, but did food and quest grinding, and the difference is astounding.

I also got Chaser Arrow to 9 which trivializes a lot of content if you have food mp buffs.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I'm a little ahead of Vinny in Bloodstained, but did food and quest grinding, and the difference is astounding.

I also got Chaser Arrow to 9 which trivializes a lot of content if you have food mp buffs.

I leveled up and used the lightning bolt one for pretty much the entire game with the same result. Lightning bolt for normal enemy areas, portrait wall thing for boss fights, basically brute forced normal mode at that point.

I kind of want to go back and do the harder modes, but I pretty much 100%'ed the game in my first playthrough, so I'm not sure how much fun that would actually be.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

I leveled up and used the lightning bolt one for pretty much the entire game with the same result. Lightning bolt for normal enemy areas, portrait wall thing for boss fights, basically brute forced normal mode at that point.

I kind of want to go back and do the harder modes, but I pretty much 100%'ed the game in my first playthrough, so I'm not sure how much fun that would actually be.

In hard mode, most of the bosses have a new attack or two, but that's the only significant difference.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Catching up with VinnyVania. Boy, game seems like kind of a slog, especially with the boss fights. I don't remember Symphony fights being quite so long.

It's because Vinnie is playing Bloodstained like it's Castlevania when it really isn't. Castlevania requires a fair bit of precision as you need to constantly be avoiding getting hit, etc. Bloodstained is more about stats and spamming smashing bosses with your sword. It's honestly more like Dead Cells.

Either way, I'm just there for the banter anyway so the longer it takes the better.

edit: I missed the fact that there was a whole other page of people already making this exact point.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Thread, I am catching up on Beastcasts.

Four weeks ago Dan said he thought Brexit was a music festival.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Thread, I am catching up on Beastcasts.

Four weeks ago Dan said he thought Brexit was a music festival.

Well, they've cancelled most of the acts, no one seems to be in charge, and it's just a bunch of chavs fumbling around in the dark, so accurate.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It's our very own Fyre Festival only we're not rich and we can't leave.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Re: Vinnystainia, the main thing is that he's kind of extremely impoverished precisely because he loves using Heretical Grinder so much.
    It's a pretty decent ability all the way up to the middle-end section of the game (where it starts to be overtaken damage-wise by other abilities that do better with burst damage or are more efficient with MP), but the problem is that the game only gives you money if you sell shards, break lanterns while at full MP or occasionally get money from refreshing blue chests. The way Vinny plays right now is that I'm pretty sure he hasn't sold a single shard, he's constantly not at full MP from heretically grinding and has rarely gotten money from blue chests, so until he starts changing any of those habits he'll continue to be flat broke and unless he commits heavily to grinding or hunting for specific loot the damage he puts out will mostly depend on the favour of the RNG gods - we might never see him get that 16/32 bit coin. (Red Umbrella is pretty good, though)

Of course, none of this really matters since people aren't watching Vinnystainia for mad optimized playthroughs or whatever.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    All those bridge building type games on the other hand, totally watched for the optimized playthrough.

Rehab on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I believe Dan knows a few British people and around the time of the Brexit vote, Dan asked on Twitter what Brexit is and got several answers. He should be well aware of what it is by now.

Also I stopped playing Bloodstained because I got stuck at that blood lady boss and none of my cheese tactics worked. Also I don't understand enough of the side mechanics like cooking and crafting to actually engage in them, which is probably my fault.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I believe Dan knows a few British people and around the time of the Brexit vote, Dan asked on Twitter what Brexit is and got several answers. He should be well aware of what it is by now.

Also I stopped playing Bloodstained because I got stuck at that blood lady boss and none of my cheese tactics worked. Also I don't understand enough of the side mechanics like cooking and crafting to actually engage in them, which is probably my fault.

Eh, I'll say that if you don't really care enough/engage a lot about any subject you eventually forget what you were told. Like Chemistry. Or Physics.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I agree. That said, I think it would also be smart of Dan to try to have an understanding of the Brexit issue beyond thinking it's a music festival. That being said, I'd say the same for anybody.

• Options
  • Options
    Chase that algorithm!

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I just realized I’m going to have to listen to Dan Ryckert argue for why Death Stranding is Story of the Year no matter how little he understands it or how many vagina bombs it has and it’s going to kill me and I’m going to die who wants my stuff.

• Options
    august wrote: »
    I just realized I’m going to have to listen to Dan Ryckert argue for why Death Stranding is Story of the Year no matter how little he understands it or how many vagina bombs it has and it’s going to kill me and I’m going to die who wants my stuff.

I have a feeling Death Stranding will be too detached from "Cool Guy Action Movie" stuff that Dan loves about Metal Gear and the gameplay will absolutely turn him off.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

I have a feeling Death Stranding will be too detached from "Cool Guy Action Movie" stuff that Dan loves about Metal Gear and the gameplay will absolutely turn him off.

Counterpoint: there is a guy called “Diehardman”

• Options
    I hate that vagina bombs are now a thing in videogames....

• Options

Do you have anything good?

• Options
    I'm . . . intrigued by the actual story of Death Stranding, there is just a lot of weirdness surrounding it obviously.

That is game is definitely going to make for a fun Quick Look one way or the other.

• Options
    I hate that vagina bombs are now a thing in videogames....

Could be worse. As a comics fan, I literally saw someone mention a haunted vagina just the other day.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I need to play MG5. Have it, just never started.
    Rehab wrote: »
    I'm . . . intrigued by the actual story of Death Stranding, there is just a lot of weirdness surrounding it obviously.

That is game is definitely going to make for a fun Quick Look one way or the other.

Maybe the Don't Shake the Baby will make a guest appearance...

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that Dan is going to hate Death Stranding. I'm not sure why exactly, it's just a feeling.

• Options
    There seems to be a lot to like in the game if you can embrace how numerous in number and punishing the systems are.

We've already seen inventory Tetris on another level, durability, having to shift your balance almost constantly, keeping Sam in good health and tending to things like sleep and hunger levels, keeping the baby happy, potential item scarcity, and probably more.

And across all games I would NOT like all of that but for this specific thing it actually seems kinda cool and oddly welcoming. Just like, yeah, given what you have to do shit should be hard, bleak, and oppressive.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I can't wait for him to play Death Stranding and hate it just as much as RDR2

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Press codes are out there so we can start speculating on Friday based on if he sounds depressed or excited on the podcast

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    He does love some weird dumb bullshit sometimes. Whether he can love weird dumb bullshit without Metal Gear's po-faced action movie nonsense is another, though.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    And apparently, Death Stranding's plot summary and ending are out. LOL...I think influencers are the worst when it comes to this stuff.

This discussion has been closed.