As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I just don't understand why people think this is a good idea. Like yeah, racism, but c'mon!

We learned about the Holocaust because the Nazis kept good records. Clearly the ICE learns from history.

I would suspect this is more incompetence leading to bad record keeping. Just from reading the reports about using it. It sounds like a buggy system they aren't always entering data into properly.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    One common thread in abuse here and with inmates in jails/prisons has been staff resenting that their charges get “free” healthcare when they and their families don’t and withholding care out of spite.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dostoevsky wrote:
    The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    UK couple with a 3-month-old baby visiting Canada took a wrong turn into the U.S. Some straight up horror movie shit ensued:
    A couple from England who was visiting Canada and took a wrong turn into the United States — swerving to avoid an animal in the road — has been detained with their 3-month-old baby and shipped to the Berks Detention Center in Leesport, Pa., according to their attorneys.

The baby boy has been subjected to frigid and filthy conditions, developing blotchy skin and what seems to be an eye infection, his mother wrote in a sworn statement. At one point the child was left naked and exposed for several hours in the cold jail, after all his clothes and blankets were taken for washing, she said.

All her child’s clothes and blankets were taken for washing, even new items, she said, and the center had no clothes small enough to fit. She tried to wash the child as best she could while sitting on a sofa, because the baby bathtub that was offered was filthy, she wrote.

“When I ask how am I supposed to keep my baby warm in this horrible cold, all they tell me is to put a hat on him. … They even took away one of his formula containers, which I had to beg for three days for them to return it to me.”

The blankets and sheets she was given smelled “like a dead dog,” Connors wrote, and she couldn’t use them to wrap her boy “for fear they haven’t been washed and my baby will become sick.”

The bathrooms are dirty and broken, she said.

At night, every 15 minutes, a staff person shines a flashlight into their room, awakening her and the baby, she said. She startles when the checks occur, because “I feel like someone is going to take my baby.”

An ICE officer told her that if the couple wished, they could allow the baby to be separated from his parents and taken to another facility. She refused.

“We have been treated like criminals here, stripped of our rights, and lied to. It is not right,” Connors wrote. “We have been traumatized. … This would never happen in the United Kingdom to U.S. citizens, or anyone else, because people there are treated with dignity.”

Link: https://www.inquirer.com/news/berks-detention-center-immigration-migrant-ice-border-patrol-family-20191014.html?fbclid=IwAR176x6GLDTmMnIx7L8Cc59gMxpMXySFRoWjNroJx0PycqDLUJptG2OyXBM

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    hello thread.

I just came here to state that I believe immigrating without filling out the proper paperwork should be a civil infraction. Pay ~$100, and actually fill out the paperwork, and you are good.

We need warm bodies, now, filling jobs and paying taxes. Sweet, sweet taxes; to pay for all these old people. Our debt is 100% GDP. Why are we turning people away?

Because the people in power are white nationalists trying to create an ethnostate.

White nationalists trying to create an ethno state where somehow work still gets done, and they dont need to pay slavery levels of guard labor and can still walk to the shops without being kidnapped if they so choose.

Here's a hint, that's not how an ethno state can work!

Fascists aren't rational, if you haven't noticed. Even if they got their dream come true, and America was filled with only white people, they would invent new standards, new bigotry, new others, because that's what their system is designed for. If there is no enemy they will manufacture one.

I believe the idea would ne to return attention back to Irish and Italians. Or some...other...historical minority.

Haven't the U.S. Polish only been counted as 'white' for about a hundred years?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    hello thread.

I just came here to state that I believe immigrating without filling out the proper paperwork should be a civil infraction. Pay ~$100, and actually fill out the paperwork, and you are good.

We need warm bodies, now, filling jobs and paying taxes. Sweet, sweet taxes; to pay for all these old people. Our debt is 100% GDP. Why are we turning people away?

Because the people in power are white nationalists trying to create an ethnostate.

White nationalists trying to create an ethno state where somehow work still gets done, and they dont need to pay slavery levels of guard labor and can still walk to the shops without being kidnapped if they so choose.

Fascists aren't rational, if you haven't noticed. Even if they got their dream come true, and America was filled with only white people, they would invent new standards, new bigotry, new others, because that's what their system is designed for. If there is no enemy they will manufacture one.

I believe the idea would ne to return attention back to Irish and Italians. Or some...other...historical minority.

Basically all Catholics.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    hello thread.

Basically all Catholics.

Yup. The Irish, too.
    Is it time for the Popeodile cartoons again?

Commander Zoom on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    That accidental border crossing story is nuts, why have secret border roads that you patrol but don't guard/fence?

Tastyfish on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    hello thread.

Basically all Catholics.

Yup. The Irish, too.
    Is it time for the Popeodile cartoons again?

Catholics are only recently on the 'good' list. Some were concerned that JFK would take orders from the Pope. The shift probably happened in 1973.

In the end, all that matters is relative usefulness. You are good when they want you to be and bad when they are done with you.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    That accidental border crossing story is nuts, why have secret border roads that you patrol but don't guard/fence?

Cruelty is the point

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited October 2019

Cruelty is the point

To Canadians and Britons!? How long would these border guards have been waiting in ambush?
    It's odd this hasn't been picked up by the British press too.

Tastyfish on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Cruelty is the point

To Canadians and Britons!? How long would these border guards have been waiting in ambush?

Awfully embarrassing to Boris.

edited October 2019

Cruelty is the point

Awfully embarrassing to Boris.

There's no way the Mail or Telegraph would resist this as a 'only in America' type story (this is prime Mail sidebar of shame material), let alone things like the Guardian or the Mirror.

Tastyfish on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It's on the UK front page of the DailyMail. It's starting to make the rounds.

Less a question of why have them and more a question of "why didn't CBP simply turn them around?"

But Wally answered that.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited October 2019
    So it has, so which one of us here is the Mail Journalist...

This is mad, how long til the title changes to "travel advisory, just don't go".

I don't think cruelty is the point here, it's the wrong group of people and the whole situation doesn't play into the whole 'defending the border' cliche.

Maybe it's just a mad broken system being applied both north and south, though it seems strange that this is the first family that's had an issue with lack of documents given that Canada has around 30 million vehicle crossings a year (and Mexico maybe 5 times that?) - but I think I'd almost put money now on there being some criminal connection.

They passed through three different places, contrary to how they were originally told (when they were going to be handed over to US relatives), to get them to a place where children disappear. At which point they're asked if they would like their child sent somewhere else. I think it's honestly harder to believe that no one has started to take advantage of this system for trafficking (since they've already re-homed some children).

[edit]Hit the BBC now
    The family statement is the basis for a legal complaint lodged by their lawyer with the US Department of Homeland Security inspector general.

US immigration authorities confirmed to the BBC that the couple were being held, but denied their allegations of mistreatment.

Tastyfish on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Less a question of why have them and more a question of "why didn't CBP simply turn them around?"

But Wally answered that.

Was one or more of the parents Indian, Pakistani, or brown in any way? If so that’s probably the reason

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

But Wally answered that.

Was one or more of the parents Indian, Pakistani, or brown in any way? If so that’s probably the reason

ICE is just staffed by monsters at this point now.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

But Wally answered that.

Yes but even monsters usually have a purpose, and these monsters have an awful lot of racism to get to. As I have said in other places, these people are often horrible bastards but they are doing that because they are utterly racist. Maybe now that's it's in the news they are treating them just as awfully as their other detainees to try and prove they aren't racist.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

But Wally answered that.

Yes but even monsters usually have a purpose, and these monsters have an awful lot of racism to get to. As I have said in other places, these people are often horrible bastards but they are doing that because they are utterly racist. Maybe now that's it's in the news they are treating them just as awfully as their other detainees to try and prove they aren't racist.

"First they came for..." is a meme for a reason. Fascists always expand their target list.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

But Wally answered that.

"First they came for..." is a meme for a reason. Fascists always expand their target list.

It’s less fascism and more authoritarian.

Breaking the rules must be punished, no matter the infraction. The more punitive the consequences the better.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    “You crossed an international border,” said the officer, who allegedly did not read the men their rights and ignored the family’s pleas that they had unknowingly crossed into the United States and never intended to enter the country during their trip, despite having the proper visas.

Wait, so they had US travel visas and CPB/ICE straight-up ignored them? Or does that just mean they had the right visas for Canada?

Up until now I sort of assumed ICE was disappearing people because most of the refugees have no documents and thus can't be traced, so they (ICE) figure they can get away with it. Pulling this shit on foreigners who aren't, for lack of a better term, invisible seems bizarre.

I don't know what Britain can realistically do to hurt us over this (close their borders to US citizens?) but I hope they raise hell. Don't let this go quietly.

They probably had a tourist visa(automatic with a UK passport) but didn’t have a stamp for entry on their passport. Which is the most shittiest of technicalities to imprison someone for, but there you go.

UK citizens can freely visit the USA with no visa under the visa waiver program. So this family has been held in a concentration camp for a week for no reason whatsoever.

Calica wrote: »
    “You crossed an international border,” said the officer, who allegedly did not read the men their rights and ignored the family’s pleas that they had unknowingly crossed into the United States and never intended to enter the country during their trip, despite having the proper visas.

I don't know what Britain can realistically do to hurt us over this (close their borders to US citizens?) but I hope they raise hell. Don't let this go quietly.

What can the UK do? No doubt strings will be pulled so this particular family are freed. No help to anyone else.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular

What can the UK do? No doubt strings will be pulled so this particular family are freed. No help to anyone else.

Issue a travel advisory re: the US, for one thing.

Refuse entry to US citizens? It wouldn't directly help anyone, but it would make a point.

Issue a travel advisory re: the US, for one thing.

Refuse entry to US citizens? It wouldn't directly help anyone, but it would make a point.

I've got to scoff at the thought of the Conservative party doing anything to annoy their dear old Trump who they are quite convinced will be offering them advantageous trade deals to replace the EU trade deals Any Day Now.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

But Wally answered that.

"They talk funny" has been a 'reason' for racist shitheels to be shitheels for as long as racism has been around.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    UK citizens can freely visit the USA with no visa under the visa waiver program. So this family has been held in a concentration camp for a week for no reason whatsoever.

The border between Canada and the U.S. was loosely guarded until 9/11, when the conservatives falsely pushed the idea that Canada had "let in" the terrorists. So, suddenly communities that were joined for literally centuries needed a passport to visit each other.

Combine this with the Border Guard and ICE recruiting heavily from virulent nationalists angry about 9/11 and racists who hate foreigners, and the border crossing process for everyone has become grimmer and grimmer. Local law enforcement is also radicalized and pumped full of propaganda about terrorist threats, so the old days of just pointing the tourists back across has transitioned to feeding them into the immigration bureaucracy.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Don't forget the fact that some fields of work are just going to attract power-trippers amped up on the fact that Their Word Is Law.

There was a stretch of time back in 2017 where a bunch of Canadian provinces stopped doing school trips over the border (something more or less routine) because they were getting tired of CBP personnel fabricating excuses to deny some of the kids entry more or less because they could.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Can I suggest a change of the thread title to something like "Travel Advisory - Just Don't Come Here"?

Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Don't forget the fact that some fields of work are just going to attract power-trippers amped up on the fact that Their Word Is Law.

There was a stretch of time back in 2017 where a bunch of Canadian provinces stopped doing school trips over the border (something more or less routine) because they were getting tired of CBP personnel fabricating excuses to deny some of the kids entry more or less because they could.

It's noticeably much worse for all travelers than it was pre-9/11, though. Before 9/11, the people manning the borders weren't always polite, but they didn't have the same law enforcement-wannaba energy that the modern Homeland Security assholes project.

edited October 2019

But Wally answered that.

Nope!

Bigger Brexit news of the day seems to have knocked it from the headlines though. But there's still the other family (the brother-in-law to the guys who were released) with their twins in detention.

Tastyfish on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I mean the concern used to be if you go to the US and your papers aren't right you'll be stuck on the next plane back

Now the concern is you might be stuck in a concentration camp, with your baby dying in your arms (and make no mistake, treatment like that kills babies)

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

It's noticeably much worse for all travelers than it was pre-9/11, though. Before 9/11, the people manning the borders weren't always polite, but they didn't have the same law enforcement-wannaba energy that the modern Homeland Security assholes project.

Yup. 9/11 made a bunch of them think they were the fucking front line in a war against terrorists sneaking into the country or some shit.

I'm going over the border to buy some cheap shoes and then smuggle them back across the border dude, just leave me the fuck alone.

shryke on
    Solar wrote: »
    I mean the concern used to be if you go to the US and your papers aren't right you'll be stuck on the next plane back

Now the concern is you might be stuck in a concentration camp, with your baby dying in your arms (and make no mistake, treatment like that kills babies)

Or your baby might be taken from you and adopted out/imprisoned/forced to work in a chicken house/sacrificed to moloch/whatever they are doing with them this month.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Or your baby might be taken from you and adopted out/imprisoned/forced to work in a chicken house/sacrificed to moloch/whatever they are doing with them this month.

Seeing how hard they were projecting with the Pizzagate shit..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Abducted. These babies aren't being adopted, they're being stolen.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ultimately I think there is a pretty long running and significant strain of violent and racial isolationism in parts of US political discourse where they do not want anyone coming to the US. The US is exceptional and anyone else is degenerate, Europeans are weak, immoral and old world in attitude, people who aren't white, well.

I mean we all laughed at Ron Swanson thinking Europe is pointless and anywhere outside the US isn't worth considering, when he looks miserable in London, it's an amusing joke. I think some people actually do think like that though. They think civilisation was founded in the Declaration of Independence, and anyone else from anywhere else is lesser.

American Exceptionalism and pledging allegiance to the flag in schools and all that is just blatant mainstream Nationalism and always has been. I'm not really surprised to hear about this behaviour directed towards white foreigners. I thought I would be, but I'm not.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Yeah, and that attitude is pretty apparent when you start trying to talk about how other countries do things and the person you're talking to basically says that the way America does things is not only the best but the only way things can ever be in America, no matter what.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    In news that should not surprise anyone, apparently child separation was much more extensive, and likely in violation of a judicial injunction, than previously reported.

https://www.courthousenews.com/feds-admit-1250-more-immigrant-children-were-separated-from-parents/

It's fucking sad that this alone wouldn't be enough to impeach the fucker.

This discussion has been closed.