As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You wanna pizza my [movies] thread?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Sometimes I sit back and think about how most sitcom characters would be actually insufferable and awful people to know if they were real

Except for that Ted Mosby. He'd be a gem I'm sure.

Oh yeah I love that guy, he's very cool

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Sometimes I sit back and think about how most sitcom characters would be actually insufferable and awful people to know if they were real

She's a comedic icon and should be universally loved, but you can thank Lucille Ball for setting that little trend.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

He'll read you Dante's Inferno in the original Italian.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the only sitcom character i could probably hang with is the sad stripper danny devito played in that one episode of friends

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Actually

Would it be worse being Wilson Wilson or Al borland?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    the only sitcom character i could probably hang with is the sad stripper danny devito played in that one episode of friends

What about Dan Conner?

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Oh so Ted Moesby is @Straightzi?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

Read? He has that shit memorised.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Like I haven't watched much Seinfeld but it seems like if I lived next to a nutjob next to Kramer I would have filed a restraining order after the first meeting

to say nothing of the rest of the cast

tynic wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    A lot of Barney's shit is so outrageous that it's basically fantasy.

The worst thing he did was have a baby with a woman he only ever referred to as a number.
    Problem is even if it is ridiculous, the more mundane stuff really hit for folks

I had a high school/early college friend who bought the actual Bro Code book they made and tried to pick up ladies like Barney all the goddamn time

He sucked!

But yeah the stuff they did with his non-character wife and seeing his daughter turning him instantly into a decent person was just hot garbage

The show oscillated wildly between presenting Barney as a sad, fucked-up, neurotic little man vs someone with an aspirational lifestyle whose 'conquests' somehow deserved it for being dumb enough to buy his bullshit. Casting NPH (who is a charisma powerhouse) demonstrated they really never intended to lean hard on the former character beat except for comedy flashbacks, which means there are probably still huge contingents of fans who take his PUA shit at least half-seriously and see him as some kind of ultra-masculine archetype.

They Walter White'd the character, basically.

By the time they figured out people were actually treating him like someone who should be admired and followed, they attempted to make him worse and worse, very quickly, to make sure everyone would take the hint.

But, like Walter White, many people just...never did.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

What about Dan Conner?

i don't think he'd wanna hang with me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

What about Dan Conner?

Remember when he knocked that dude out cold in the pool hall?

Great times.

Oh so Ted Moesby is @Straightzi?

Wow I'm pretty sure this counts as libel

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's been a thousand years since I watched HIMYM but my memory of the first season or so is that Barney was absolutely that one dude your friend knows from college who hasn't grown up or moved on, and your friend hasn't had the heart to get rid of him for sentimental legacy reasons, even though everyone else he currently hangs with hates the dude's guts.
    Him becoming close with the rest of the crew kind of left this "why do you guys keep hanging out with a legit sexual predator" question hanging in the air.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    On the one hand Wilson Wilson has to give Tim Taylor advice all the time... But has to live next to him. No escape.

On the other Tim nearly kills Al once a week...

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I would hang out with the crew from Happy Endings

It's been a thousand years since I watched HIMYM but my memory of the first season or so is that Barney was absolutely that one dude your friend knows from college who hasn't grown up or moved on, and your friend hasn't had the heart to get rid of him for sentimental legacy reasons, even though everyone else he currently hangs with hates the dude's guts.
    Him becoming close with the rest of the crew kind of left this "why do you guys keep hanging out with a legit sexual predator" question hanging in the air.

Wasn't his whole introduction to the group him pulling Ted in on one of his PUA attempts?

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Like I haven't watched much Seinfeld but it seems like if I lived next to a nutjob next to Kramer I would have filed a restraining order after the first meeting

to say nothing of the rest of the cast

This is basically the finale of Seinfeld.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Wasn't his whole introduction to the group him pulling Ted in on one of his PUA attempts?

Yeah I think there is even a voice over acknowledging he is a problem

It's just they then continued to treat him like he wasnt yknow

A sex criminal

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    probably, that rings a bell. Like, I didn't mean that analogy as literally the character's genesis, just that was the vibe you got - there's this dude your friend inexplicably hangs out with and you all hate but not enough to cut off YOUR friend and so you just awkwardly put up with it.
    Course when you get to the point that you need to actively warn any women who turn up about him, that's time for a talk.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'd hang out with Burt and Virginia Chance

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    On the one hand Wilson Wilson has to give Tim Taylor advice all the time... But has to live next to him. No escape.

On the other Tim nearly kills Al once a week...
    Man. Now i want a Home Improvement but Tool Time is a youtube show.

I'd hang out with Mabel Pines

I'd hang out with Jason Mendoza.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'd hang out with jane lane and bobby hill

I can't think of a single sitcom character I want to spend any time with.

... no wait, I'd hang with Bernard Black.
    actually I once dated someone whose life was probably about two wrong turns away from BEING Bernard Black.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The thing about Barney (like most problematic-for-laughs characters) is that he and his actions are so fucking absurd that it’s really difficult to damn them. Like, taking it seriously at all is laughable. He is absolutely a fantasy-land sociopath and not to be admired. Getting women to sleep with him through deception wasn’t funny; the ludicrous lengths he went to was the joke. Nothing about that character or show was in any way realistic or worthy of honest analysis. Any moments of gravitas were purely coincidental.

Show still made me cry laughing at times.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

saying this is grounds for arrest in every state other than Florida

Shorty wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

saying this is grounds for arrest in every state other than Florida

right

I can't think of a single sitcom character I want to spend any time with.

... no wait, I'd hang with Bernard Black.
    actually I once dated someone whose life was probably about two wrong turns away from BEING Bernard Black.

Oh I'd hang out with Bernard Black too

Just drinking wine, smoking, and complaining about things? That sounds great!

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    The thing about Barney (like most problematic-for-laughs characters) is that he and his actions are so fucking absurd that it’s really difficult to damn them. Like, taking it seriously at all is laughable. He is absolutely a fantasy-land sociopath and not to be admired. Getting women to sleep with him through deception wasn’t funny; the ludicrous lengths he went to was the joke. Nothing about that character or show was in any way realistic or worthy of honest analysis. Any moments of gravitas were purely coincidental.

Show still made me cry laughing at times.

They try to make you feel for him and treat him as a damaged but good person way too much for that to be true

The characters ending is absolutely going for gravitas

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I wouldn't be friends with Michelle Gomez' character in Green Wing, because I'm pretty sure Michelle Gomez' character in Green Wing has no friends, but I do kind of want her to take me under her tutelage.

oh I'd definitely hang out with Daisy Steiner, she and my fiancée are basically the same person anyway

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Just got out of Pain & Glory, which is really wonderful and woof Antonio Banderas is wearing his age well

I don’t know anything about Pedro Almodovar but I’m assuming it’s pretty autobiographical, and just lovely

Now I’m taking a walk before part two of my double feature, the exact tonal opposite: Gemini Man, in The Full Ang 120fps 3D

Preparing myself to get blasted in the central nervous system

6F32U1X.png
    Shorty wrote: »
    oh I'd definitely hang out with Daisy Steiner, she and my fiancée are basically the same person anyway

I'd be friends with Tim but I'd probably wonder why quite a lot.
    I already know a lot of Brians, now I think about it.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Probably the only sitcom characters that aren't gunna drive you up the wall are the Mark Brendanawiczes of the world

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The sitcom character I'd most like to hang out with is Steve Urkel.

That kid's wacky and we both like cheese!

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

What about Dan Conner?

Remember when he knocked that dude out cold in the pool hall?

Great times.

there was also that episode where Jackie's boyfriend hit her and Dan left and came back with his knuckles all jacked up and I'm pretty sure the episode ended with the cops arresting him for beating the shit out of the guy

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    oh boy

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.