As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Hopefully this means a Rick Dias Revive is in the works

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i would definitely like that, i have a lot of fondness for that design

uc3ufTB.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm not ready for another Build series to take all my money!
    Hopefully this means a Rick Dias Revive is in the works

That's been the trend, for sure.

Sometimes it just takes a while. The R-Jarja Revive didn't come out till like 2 years after the R-Gyagya, for example.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The Rick Dias is my absolute favorite mobile suit in any continuity. Gimme more chunky boi suits.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Apologies, but can I get a translation on that tweet?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My store is prepping their preorder listm notables for me is the FAZZ very ka, and a perfect strike perfect grade, that looks interesting...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Apologies, but can I get a translation on that tweet?

Gym booster Cannon based two beam rifle surplus missile launcher on the bottom of the aircraft

I'm such a fake gunpla builder. I started on Delta Kai FINALLY, and then stopped at step 3 because I can't find my yellow gunpla marker and I don't want to use stickers unless I absolutely have to.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Nah paint that shit. Those stickers are bad and Bandai should just make another yellow runner.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2019
    Very true. Luckily I found it. I put it away near my crafting supplies, not with my crafting supplies.

F0HDDbWh.jpg

Maaaan, do I wish I had something that matched that purple/blue.

Edit: I am not great at applying makeup, it turns out!

kWEsgADh.jpg

Athenor on
    Okay, it didn't turn out so bad. Looks fine from a distance. I just gotta walk away...

zi1UsUbh.jpg

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Hey Gunpla thread! I have been in this hobby since Saturday!

So my FLGS has just started getting Gundam stuff in stock, and over the weeked at PAXAUS they were doing Gundam workshops where you got a free Gundam so now I have this cute little boy who is taking over some space from all my wargaming models in the display cabinet:
    yPDPBZt.jpg?1
    I think he is a RX-93, but I didn't keep the instructions like a foooool.

Then I bumped into an old friend who is apparently really into Gunpla and when I expressed interest in getting another one he gave me his recommendation which I grabbed:
    J03AvBh.jpg?1

I am still an absolute neophyte but I can understand works like "Real Grade" and "has internal structure" and "pose-ability". I am pretty sure I've jumped in at the deeper end but I've been building model kits so I'll hopefully be ok. That said, if anyone has any tip[s for new players or resources for Gundam building 101 I would super appreciate it.

On a final note here are the special they had:
    9cdEVUY.jpg?1

Totally meaningless to me by my friend had a bit of a melt down and said it was super rare for a lot of them to be available outside of Japan and picked up the ZZ clear for himself.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    That’s a Strike Gundam from Gundam Seed you built, Seed May not be the best show but I still really dig the Strike’s design.

Also, whaaaaat, you get convention exclusives at PAX Australia? I think I only see Gundam kits at PAX South if some random vendor has brought them.

Thanks for the ID!
    And yeah from the Gundam aficionados I understand that these kind of exclusives are a bit of a big deal.
    I'm not fully up on it, but anything my local hobby store does, they go full throttle on.
    They had the largest booth/floor space at PAXAUS (The House of War for any other Aussies interested) and they have gone HAM on Gundam stuff recently. Apparently they did everything right to get special permission from Bandai Namco to sell the Con exclusives and had the local BN distributors/reps at the booth. They even were going to get a giant Gundam statue shipped over for the display but couldn't get the correct import permissions completed in time. A little bird tells me that they moved something like 40 grand worth of kits over the 3 days. It was crazy. They burnt through 200 free build kits on day 1 before they realized they were going to run out and started doing less sessions. They might be onto a bit of a money maker here.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    welcome to the club! Real Grades are pretty advanced as far as gunpla goes but if you have prior modelmaking experience and take your time following the manual you should be alright

here are two guides to get you started:

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-construction-guide
    http://goodguydangunpla.blogspot.com/2013/08/building-for-beginners-tips-and-tricks.html

you'll mainly want to invest in some good plastic nippers if you don't already have them

https://www.gunpla101.com/essential-tools-for-gunpla-building/

(i have two different Tamiya cutters for cutting out parts and then use an x-acto to clean nubs, I have some sandpapers too but you really only need to sand if you're planning on painting)

uc3ufTB.png
    Thanks for the guides, that's exactly what I needed. I think I'll have to look into getting a marker for lining as I'm not sure I want to just go for it using the old paintbrush. I'm all sorted on tools I think, put a new blade in my knife less than a week ago so it's all good to go.

(i have two different Tamiya cutters for cutting out parts and then use an x-acto to clean nubs, I have some sandpapers too but you really only need to sand if you're planning on painting)

Which Tamiya cutters do you use?

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    If your local gaming store is going all in with Gunpla then they probably got a stock of Gundam Markers. If not Amazon has a 3 pack that is good for most situations. Get a good eraser to wipe the excess off.

steam_sig.png

Which Tamiya cutters do you use?

Modeler's Side Cutter for thicker gates and separating front skirts, Sharp Pointed Side Cutters for thinner gates and further trimming before my final pass with the x-acto

oh also this is good information to know when starting out:

https://www.gunpla101.com/everything-wish-knew-stress-marks-started-building-gunpla/

the only thing the article doesn't mention is you can reduce 90% of stress discoloration by simply rubbing over it with your fingernail

uc3ufTB.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    @asher I think this kit is a fantastic starter that has everything except nippers and gundam markers and is inexpensive.

edited October 2019
    God help me, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on Perfect Grade Perfect Strike. I get to stack a lot of discounts if I do so.

Edit: Two poor life choices later...

Athenor on
    Not bad for an hour's work and being dead tired! Not shown in the second pic, I've got the shoulder and inner forearm done, just need to armor up the forearm, assemble the bicep, and put the hands on... and I'll be like 1/5 through it. :)

I get so nervous around the yellow paint, like I'm gonna splotch it or scrape it off or get it places I don't want. The panel lining I couldn't give a fuck about, but that yellow...

bf2rJxlh.jpg

T7w1C02h.jpg

Wooden toothpicks are pretty good at scratching off paint if you got the patience.

steam_sig.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Well I finally gathered the courage to start on the Sazabi today. I'll have a lot of clean-up to do, but it's a start.
    916wdi2r1ncj.jpg

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    I make leg!

pqOAWje.jpg?1

Thanks for suggestions on the tool kit Heffling but I'm good on tools for now. I'll hit up the FLGS to see if they have markers. I am having so much fun! So many parts in the one leg and they move, and the plates shift and and and...

It's pretty cool is what I'm saying.

The mobility of Gunpla, combined with the feeling of snapping together all the parts, is definitely what makes me love this hobby. It's also why I like the more complicated sets, so I get to see even more of the details.

Athenor wrote: »
    The mobility of Gunpla, combined with the feeling of snapping together all the parts, is definitely what makes me love this hobby. It's also why I like the more complicated sets, so I get to see even more of the details.

As an engineer, I really appreciate the engineering that goes into not only the kit design, but also stuff like the sprue design, packaging, and other elements.

For the full experience, track down a kit made in the 90's or earlier. Just to see how far gunpla has come in a short time.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    For the full experience, track down a kit made in the 90's or earlier. Just to see how far gunpla has come in a short time.

I figure there's gotta be a treasure trove of those old gundam wing kits somewhere.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682

I have. I love building some of the older kits as well. I recently built the MG Gundam Ground Type and the MG EZ-8, which came out in 1999 and 2000. I also built the 1/100 Heavyarms no-grade because I had built it back when I was 18 or so.

edited October 2019
    That Heavyarms holds up pretty well honestly, for what it is. The rest of that line, not so much.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I built a Deathscythe Hell back in oh 'bout '99 it were

Lost it in a move though

Heffling wrote: »

I have. I love building some of the older kits as well. I recently built the MG Gundam Ground Type and the MG EZ-8, which came out in 1999 and 2000. I also built the 1/100 Heavyarms no-grade because I had built it back when I was 18 or so.

So I was at The Gundam Base, in Tokyo a few weeks ago. I can't swear to it fully, but I'm reasonably sure that every single kit they've ever produced is available for purchase there. They deffo have some of the original show kits from the 70's, stuff that's molded in a single color and has maybe five points of articulation. (These kits are also incredibly cheap too, around 600 yen.) They're all organized by show, so there's an entire case of nothing but Gundam Wing kits, and so on.

Kind of kicking myself for only buying two kits while I was over there...

I hope they do reprints of the Age line sometime soon. Lot of good kits in there but current prices are just irresponsible.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Yeah I'm really enjoying all this detail and just how nicely it all goes together. I also like that it really doesn't need painting as I already have heaps of painting projects on the go. I mean I might panel line it if I feel so inclined. And maybe top coat it.

Trying to focus on the democratic debate and gunpla at the same time just wasn't working. I started screwing up with painting up a hydraulic piston (decided for gunmetal instead of silver, which might stand out more).. and decided to stop, and let it dry.

SMZuButh.jpg

USA Gundam Store and me the e-mail I have been.l waiting for. Mr Premium Flat is back in stock and my resupply is on the way.

steam_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    alright i preordered that industrial designer rx-78. I think i was 14 the last time i built one of these

Another very light night.

Stupid comment one: He's got Legs, but he don't know how to use them....

Stupid comment two: These hips don't fly!

2PyMOoBh.jpg