As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You wanna pizza my [movies] thread?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If I was going to hang out with a sitcom character it would be Ben Wyatt and I would totally play the hell out of some Cones of Dunshire with him.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'd probably hang out with Boyle and just talk about food all day.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Man, I hate how into Bombshell I am, but that cast is fucking stupid good.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    If I was going to hang out with a sitcom character it would be Ben Wyatt and I would totally play the hell out of some Cones of Dunshire with him.

I'd get on with Ben as long as nobody brought up Game of Thrones.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’d hang out with Shawn and Gus from Psyche.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Shawn would be insufferable if he was real

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Today I watched Sion Sono's The Forest of Love, which came to Netflix a few days ago

I've been trying to find out what to say for a while now? I think I have it though
    ...this was...this was a lot?? I'm sure if you're even somewhat familiar with Sion Sono and his work, you expected that before you hit Play. Before today I'd only seen Coldfish and Why Don't You Play In Hell?, and even I expected it

If you watch The Forest of Love, you get way more than you bargained for. Far more than you could have expected. If the year didn't already have Midsommar, it'd be my uncontested film of 2019. And before I go any further, I must say there are two films I can remember now that I consider genuinely great but wondered, question, and still do doubt if I can completely recommend them. Before it was only Lars Von Trier's The House That Jack Built. Now I add Sion Sono's The Forest of Love to that list

This is 2.5 hours that lack much if any relent. The most calming and peaceful moments you get are at the beginning when "the loner virgin Shin, while taking in the wonders of Tokyo, gets introduced to two would-be filmmakers, who become friends and decide to make a film together"

I tell you this, and I tell you "a killer's on the loose, the filmmakers suspect it's a con man named Murata, and they decide to make a film about it in hopes the authenticity will legitimize them enough they can win a film festival prize". I tell you those plot details only because over the following 2 hours after both of those are established, not only do you begin to distrust anything else you see from anyone onscreen, but you begin to distrust even those details too

In the midst of it all, all the chaos you expect and all the sanity you don't, is abuse, a lesbian Romeo and Juliet story (in play form and in life), suicides and attempted suicides, electrocutions, broken families, lies and truths (and lies that sound like truths and truths that sound like lies) [and even lies that end up becoming truths], a bank scene that goes from surreal black comedy to uncomfortable horror at basically the blink of an eye, and a 3-minute long extended scene of people learning how to properly cut up and spread out a body in order to hide evidence

The beginning says it's based on true events, but by the end you're left wondering how much of it was on a true crime, and how much of it was on own experiences. If Annihilation was the most perfect film about depression I've ever seen, and Midsommar had the most authentic depiction of grief and depression I've ever seen on-screen, I can't say I've seen a more realistic example of toxic relationship play out in a film than I experienced through the entire second half of The Forest of Love. Whether it's utterly throwing yourself at someone who's around because they're there, trusting someone because you've got nothing left to believe in, not trying to leave when the door's open because you don't know anything or anyone else on the outside, or just not even trying because you don't feel you deserve happiness if it's not in the form of him

And at the end, you're not always going to escape it

I found myself hitting Pause a lot. Even before the end credits I found myself crying a lot. The Forest of Love isn't for everyone. Hell, I could believe Sono only made this for himself. And like I said, I don't even know if I feel comfortable recommending it regardless. But if you're not completely turned off by everything mentioned here, I will say I think this deserves a chance. I'm not experienced enough in delving through his filmography to say if The Forest of Love is indeed Sion Sono's masterpiece. I am sure I won't it's a film I won't forget (for better and/or for worse) anytime soon though

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'd have a cookout with Cody from Step by Step

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited October 2019
    Alan Alda on M*A*S*H. I’d be friends with him.

Fawst on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Shawn would be insufferable if he was real

Yeah but Gus is there to soften it and I’d be in on the con so it would be fine.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I feel like going fishing with Major Dad could be fun

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Wait! Y'all, we're idiots.

Why wouldn't we just hang out at Cheers?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg

Ugh, full of tourists.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Well they do a terrible job pouring beers there, but they do have free bar snacks.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm so close to being Cliff at Cheers it's kind of depressing

tynic wrote: »

Ugh, full of tourists.

Hmm. Well, are we hanging out with sitcom characters in our life? Or in theirs?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    I think I assumed our life. The sheer wackiness level of sitcom land would kill most normal people.

I’m already near Boston, Cheers makes sense.

I think I assumed our life. The sheer wackiness level of sitcom land would kill most normal people.

Ok yeah, in that case Cheers is out.

I return to my previous fly fishing with Major Dad and road trip with Cody plan

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

something tells me i'd be ok

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Gustav wrote: »

something tells me i'd be ok

You'd find it a massive relief.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Sometimes I sit back and think about how most sitcom characters would be actually insufferable and awful people to know if they were real

I watched a TV show that was basically about this and how the "Lisa Simpson" of the show was developing real emotional problems as a result!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Wait a sec... I’d hang out with Chandler. I’m already a real life version of him as far as sense of humor and sarcasm go. Let’s be insufferable together, Bing!

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    if you spent more than three seconds with chandler you'd intimately understand why he had to buy all his friends

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I did nooooot like Gemini Man

I KINDA liked the story, but the dialogue is skin-peelingly bad and all the performances just feel lost

It’s only worth seeing if you can get the full experience, I really can’t see recommending it for any other purpose

6F32U1X.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I did nooooot like Gemini Man

I KINDA liked the story, but the dialogue is skin-peelingly bad and all the performances just feel lost

It’s only worth seeing if you can get the full experience, I really can’t see recommending it for any other purpose

how about that water though

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I ended up not doing it yesterday, but I've got tomorrow off so I'm planning on seeing Gemini Man in HFR+3D because that's literally the only way it is at all of interest to me, so after it leaves theaters that's basically it, I'll never want to watch it again for any reason

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    if I want to get fucking DOWN then Margot and Elliot from Magicians

if I just want to chill, Turk (JD can look on from an outside window and be sad)

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I would hang out with Hot Chidi

2x39jD4.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Wow, this thread went to some places.

I would hang out with Donatello from Ninja Turtles and that’s literally it for all of fiction.

the tmnt live in the sewer and it is very unbelievable that they could be stealthy ninjas whilst smelling like the shit they wade in literally every day

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    the tmnt live in the sewer and it is very unbelievable that they could be stealthy ninjas whilst smelling like the shit they wade in literally every day

you kiddin', that's the perfect smell camouflage in New York

how dare you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    am I wrong

3clipse wrote: »
    am I wrong

nope

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    how dare you

That’s what you get for tryin’a wave that realism dick.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    how dare you

The only dick he waves stars Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams

how dare you

god damn you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

how dare you

that's a fucking pull

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    how dare you

god damn you

oh yeah, you're right. you don't seem like a shaver

the only dick he waves is the hairy bird

This discussion has been closed.