As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2019
    and morrison, I assume, asked "how high?"

tynic on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Thus the ego-stroking state visit is explained.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Not at all surprised to see the bootlicker's in the liberal government here trying to dive head first into a corrupt and clearly criminal US Administration. Could I be any more shocked and surprised than I already am?

Nah.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Thus the ego-stroking state visit is explained.

Well he also had to visit that box factory and maccas of the future*.

*insert Endagine Maccas joke

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    I don't know, I wouldn't be shy about calling Morrison a bootlick but this looks like a big nothingburger to me. Clickbait, really.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    Politically it's a nothingburger, yeah. Embarrassing, but probably less so than giving millions in drought relief to flooded areas (or should be). It's mostly just kind of cringey.

I'm just waiting to see how fast they throw Downer under the bus for doing the only competent work of his life.

• Options

Downer on the way to the underside of a bus

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    <twitter>
    Downer on the way to the underside of a bus

Ironically, for doing the best thing I think he's ever done.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :S
    I had assumed that Downer had already seen repercussions back in 2016.

• Options

Cruelty is all they have. Also the social services minister got busted saying there's no need to increase newstart as the extra money would just line the pockets of drug dealers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah christ, now we've got QAnon.

The husband of one of Morrison's advisors is basically Australia's biggest QA nut.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/oct/05/qanon-conspiracy-theorist-friends-australian-prime-minister-scott-morrison?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    looks like it's our turn to be governed by the roiling virus of the alt-right. Because the regular right were such a fucking joy these past five years.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Even in NZ there's a few of them. Though I haven't seen any in politics yet.

• Options

This thread if tweets is a whole lot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ah christ, now we've got QAnon.

The husband of one of Morrison's advisors is basically Australia's biggest QA nut.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/oct/05/qanon-conspiracy-theorist-friends-australian-prime-minister-scott-morrison?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Well that explains why he's started gibbering on about the "globalist UN agenda".

• Options

He had no need to say a damn word. He's so far up Trump's butthole.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    he should just buy a MAGA hat and be done with it.

• Options
    Also, you know how a month ago Murdoch started testing the waters for anti trans nonsense and hatred? Well

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I don't know why I find all the workshopped and orchestrated Murdoch propaganda so much more offensive than casual spontaneous bigotry, but I do.

fake edit: Well, no, I know exactly why it's more offensive- partly because it's much, much harder to fight, and partly because it's disingenuous. It's a coldly calculated weaponisation of existing undercurrents of hate and violence, which will be enacted by others but are fomented and set loose by people who will never, ever be called to answer for their actions.

tynic on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Because at least bigots have principles. Shitty ones, but at least it's an ethos. The Murdoch stuff is 1984's gaining power for the sake of power by blaming the other, with 'other' subject to change as necessary or convenient.
    You might be able to work with a bigot, maybe even change their mind on things, but someone whose decided that they're OK producing Five Minute Hate material is just a scorpion looking for a frog.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Also, to expand on that, a "true believer" is generating hate because they're misguided. And if you can get that through to them why it's wrong, there's a chance for them.

Whereas a charlatan is hurting people for political power and/or money. They know it's wrong, they just don't care.

It's morals (bad as they may be), against the immoral.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Looks like ScoMo is learning from Trump. His office emailed their talking points to the media.

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Our economy is utterly fucked.

Can we FINALLY be fucking done with "The LNP are best for Australia's economy" as a fucking argument?

They've been in power for six years, and while there is a global wariness at the moment, if we're coming in worse than Greece, then damn, they've fucked up good and proper.

Well, they probably haven't fucked up. While I doubt they want a bad economy, I bet the people in charge are properly hedged against it, and it'll mostly just be the poor and middle-class that get fucked proper.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I doubt the LNP being better for the economy myth will ever go away.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a nice concise rebuttal of the myth? I know plenty of people who believe it and I don't have the stamina to argue with any of them.

• Options
    Just googling ‘lnp better at budget myth’ comes up with a lot of articles. I’d go through some and make suggestions but I’m at work and don’t have time.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Just googling ‘lnp better at budget myth’ comes up with a lot of articles. I’d go through some and make suggestions but I’m at work and don’t have time.

I've tried that before, and just tried then. There's an awful lot of colour commentary added, a few statistics spread through paragraphs of crap. And if you're willing to cherrypick statistics they can say anything you want them to.

This is the best I could find, but look at that headline.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Mostly it’s just they think deficit bad surplus good.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Whilst 95% of all media in the country is screaming about how terrible Labor are at managing the economy in every article on the subject, the myth will continue to live.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I don't know.
    I imagine if there's a recession on the Liberal's watch, after they thought they weren't going to win the election and rigged the economy to blow, then that would be slightly hard for the news to paper over.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I don't know.
    I imagine if there's a recession on the Liberal's watch, after they thought they weren't going to win the election and rigged the economy to blow, then that would be slightly hard for the news to paper over.

They do it in the U.S. and the U.K.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    I don't know.

"Look at the horrible legacy labour left us with that continues to cause economic disasters even five years out. Better cut more from the NDIS!"
    If you have no shame and don't care about reality, there's nothing you can't spin.

• Options
    Yep. They'll just insist it'd have been EVEN WORSE under Labor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/oct/22/morning-mail-brexit-vote-denied-palmer-mega-mine-netanyahu-rebuffed?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=soc_568&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1571689115
    A Clive Palmer-controlled company has applied for a mining lease for a new coalmine four times the size of Adani’s in Queensland’s Galilee Basin. The Galilee Coal project – formerly called China First – has not progressed since it gained federal environmental approval in late 2013, but notification that Waratah Coal has renewed its 2011 application was issued by Queensland’s coal assessment hub on 4 October. The proposed mine is about 100km from Adani’s Carmichael project and would require many of its own pieces of supporting infrastructure to operate
    Good lord.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I literally just covered my face with both hands. FFS

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I just realised Josh Frydenburg is actually treasurer. Good lord.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Can I counter point with a bit of good news?

Last week, the company that I work for had the Member for Bunbury over in WA, Don Punch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Punch) attend a signing ceremony to build a 50 megawatt solar plant in the Kemerton Strategic Industrial area.

We're working with China energy to develop more solar and supporting battery power in the area, with an agreement signed to develop 1 gigawatt of solar and battery to replace the Muja coal power station which is slated to close down in 2024.

That will represent 25% of the energy generation requirements for WA in 3 years and we hope to get it up to 50% in 6.

Add to that - we also want to develop the Berri Creek solar power plant, which is 1.3 gigawatts of power generation in the Darling Downs, looking to support most of Brisbane with solar power as well.

It's not as fast as we'd all like, but it's happening.

This discussion has been closed.