As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    I feel like the PS2 games have slowed to a crawl, and there's a ton of games in their back catalog that they haven't brought to PS4.

Probably just due to the PS4 nearing retirement. Like how MS have ended the flow of Xbox & 360 games on the X1, as they've shifted their BC efforts over to Scarlett.

I don't think it's due to the PS4's age. They haven't released a PS2 game on PS4 since 2017, and they only did 4 that entire year (the Jak games, probably hoping to feed off some of that Naughty Dog nostalgia from the Crash trilogy that year).

I just think there's this narrative that Sony hates BC because they constantly pump out remakes/remasters, but they really chilled out on those.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Fair warning to anyone interested in Death Stranding: game is out in reviewers hands already and maybe some non-reviewers? So I would be especially wary of stepping in mine-fields (I had Persona 5 spoiled for me in a trending Gordon Ramsay video). Also review embargo is a week before launch so they are either really confident in this one or are automatons built by Kojima.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    EDIT: Apologies, I was getting threads confused. That being said, LucidSound also makes great PS4 compatible headsets.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Looks like they launched the PS5 website, but it seems a bit on the sparse side.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Whoops! Wrong thread. You may go about your business.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I love that tons of folks jumped into watch a GDC presentation expecting E3 lol.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Roe wrote: »

That second link is the Xbox One X's specs (PS4 Pro's MS counterpart), not the next gen one. The PS5 article you linked briefly goes over the next Xbox's specs in a paragraph below the PS5 bullet points, and they sound broadly comparable.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I totally forgot that stream was this morning. Watching it now.

Mark Cerny looks and sounds like a child psychologist.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    I totally forgot that stream was this morning. Watching it now.

Mark Cerny looks and sounds like a child psychologist.

I think that's what you want in your broad-reaching video game ecosystem head.

• Options
    The 3D audio tech seems interesting. I've had mixed experiences with it, but when it works, it's pretty cool. Sounds like the PS5 will have profiles like the Audeze Mobius software for different users.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Pretty hyped for PS5, just placed a pre-order. Agree on the 3D audio being really exciting, bit vary of the need for calibration for my ears.

Also, immersive audio sounds like it would be great for VR, if Sony want to couture down that venue.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It'll definitely be nice to replace my original PS4.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »

That second link is the Xbox One X's specs (PS4 Pro's MS counterpart), not the next gen one. The PS5 article you linked briefly goes over the next Xbox's specs in a paragraph below the PS5 bullet points, and they sound broadly comparable.

Updated, Thanks.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Sadly tech specs for consoles doesn't really get me excited. Consoles are their own beast and it's hard to really quantify +X Teraflops into something tangible. Most of the important stuff was already released like SSD, HDMI 2.1, etc.

What I really want is some game play demo's. I'm trying to get back into God of War (not sure why I have trouble finishing those games) and it's just amazing to look at visually. I remember Horizon ZD was similar. So I'm curious to see what kind of jump we are talking about with next gen games. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be pretty minor. Ray tracing seems like the big thing but we know from PC that it takes a huge toll on the hardware. What level of ray tracing will we be looking at for the PS5/XboxN? Can it be optimized for consoles to run full RT at 4K/120? Beyond that, are we going to see some improvements in AI or character modeling in general? Those are the things I'm pretty interested in. Hopefully we'll hear more around that this summer.

Also curious to see how supply ends up for the holidays. With the pandemic, I could see a reduced number of available consoles for holiday 2020.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I think 1440p/120 and 4K/60 are the big touch points for consoles this generation. Those were resoundingly the territory of PC-only last generation so It'll be cool to see consoles capable of it. Especially with modern high end TV's getting 120hz/VRR support. It also means that PC's will likely start pushing 4K/120 here pretty soon.

There is no way either console pushes 4K/120 in most games, with or without RT being involved. The 2080 Ti on the PC side can't even do that today without sacrificing a lot of visual fidelity and that's what both consoles basically have in them, something around a 2080 Ti equivalent GPU.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    These consoles won't be pushing 4k/120hz even with Raytracing off, that's for sure.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I am in full support of this "hey, fuck loading times" movement they've got going on

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    I am in full support of this "hey, fuck loading times" movement they've got going on

The N64 was ahead of its time.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Microsoft is also on the "fuck load times" train. I think this is a natural consequence of graphics tech reaching a point where graphical improvements are less and less flashy. They are starting to build power in to other parts of the system which I think is good. It's some of the primary places PC's have been ahead of the consoles for a while. Fast storage, more fast RAM, faster CPU cores etc. Consoles are starting to lasso in some of the same stuff because just pushing more polygons doesn't cut it anymore.

It's one of the reasons I still love consoles even though I have a top end PC. I think consoles still set the floor for what's possible in games and I think that floor is important. Adding these kinds of features to the base set of capabilities that gamers can expect is only good. Rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Microsoft is also on the "fuck load times" train. I think this is a natural consequence of graphics tech reaching a point where graphical improvements are less and less flashy. They are starting to build power in to other parts of the system which I think is good. It's some of the primary places PC's have been ahead of the consoles for a while. Fast storage, more fast RAM, faster CPU cores etc. Consoles are starting to lasso in some of the same stuff because just pushing more polygons doesn't cut it anymore.

It's one of the reasons I still love consoles even though I have a top end PC. I think consoles still set the floor for what's possible in games and I think that floor is important. Adding these kinds of features to the base set of capabilities that gamers can expect is only good. Rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

The last two gens had certain games trying for unattainable features (4k) and skimping on bare necessities (framerate consistency, netcode, player count). I'd love it if the new consoles got console games running great again and PCs focused on stupid graphics bullshit instead (raytracing blah blah).

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I see VR compatibility as a bigger thing for the next generation of consoles than I do shooting for 4k/120, or even 4k/60. For one thing, the jump from 720p/30 to 1080p/60 is way more visually evident than getting up to 4k, particularly since there are still loads of people who don't even have 4k monitors/TVs. For another thing, VR compatibility means being able to lock people into the hardware via the further purchase of VR gear, and the experience of VR is far more interesting and impressive than simply another step up in resolution and framerate (4k/120 looks great, but VR feels like a totally different experience than playing on a flat screen).

I would not be surprised to see a PS5 VR announcement soon, as well as something similar for whatever the next Xbox is called.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    Pretty hyped for PS5, just placed a pre-order. Agree on the 3D audio being really exciting, bit vary of the need for calibration for my ears.

Also, immersive audio sounds like it would be great for VR, if Sony want to couture down that venue.

Where did you preorder this?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I see VR compatibility as a bigger thing for the next generation of consoles than I do shooting for 4k/120, or even 4k/60. For one thing, the jump from 720p/30 to 1080p/60 is way more visually evident than getting up to 4k, particularly since there are still loads of people who don't even have 4k monitors/TVs. For another thing, VR compatibility means being able to lock people into the hardware via the further purchase of VR gear, and the experience of VR is far more interesting and impressive than simply another step up in resolution and framerate (4k/120 looks great, but VR feels like a totally different experience than playing on a flat screen).

I would not be surprised to see a PS5 VR announcement soon, as well as something similar for whatever the next Xbox is called.

Good HDR is a way more obvious improvement than 4k.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

The N64 was ahead of its time.

Yeah by like 4 million years to where we grow a 3rd hand...

i kid but i loved the n64 controller. It is literally the only controller that has the trigger where it should be instead of 2 inches higher like on everything else.

I don't remember seeing anything about wireless capability and wired internet. I hope one of them isn't going to faceplant into stupidville and make something wireless only.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm in Sweden, placed preorder at www.webhallen.com

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm in Sweden, placed preorder at www.webhallen.com

Damn Swiss. First they get good Health Care. Then they make Ikea. And now this!?

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

This is why I tend to upgrade my video cards around the time new consoles come out or 1 year later. Since most games are multi-platform these days, the lowest platform is really dictating the base graphical options. Gone are the days of Crysis and building a multi million dollar game to push PC's to their limits.

I'd love to see the PS6 and next Xbox include a dedicated AI processor, something like PhysX tried years back. As we're reaching the slower limits on graphics, it would be nice if someone would come up with an Unreal Engine of sorts for AI.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Good HDR is a way more obvious improvement than 4k.

We'll finally get true 10-bit HDR at high framerates too since both consoles support HDMI 2.1. I expect next gen games to actually ship their assets in high-bit HDR formats and tone map down to SDR rather than the other way around which is common today.

I'm curious to see if they both ship with a 48gbps HDMI cable since currently full bandwidth cables are stupidly expensive.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Have they said if PS4 backwards compatibility extends to digital purchases just carrying over? I'm like 90% download-only thanks to the complete lack of physical stores anywhere near me, so this is gonna be a deal-breaker. If I'm just carrying the whole library across, that's close to a day-one purchase just for the load times.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    As far as I'm aware, there's next to no difference between a disc and digital version of a game once the files are all installed on the HDD. A game will check if the disc in in the machine when you start, but then 2 minutes later stops spinning it entirely. Heck, I don't think any PS4 disc games do any disc streaming, they're all just glorified install discs in the end. Basically this is a longabout way of saying I'm entirely confident that digital games will carry over.

The real wild card is this "top 100 games" list. That suggests BC isn't going to be 100%. Or maybe it'll be "We can't guarantee this game won't act all hinkey on you, so buyer beware" Y'know, the whole 99.999% thing because saying 100% would make them technically liable. My gut reaction is... don't immediately toss your PS4 in case there are some games that aren't going to make the jump or until we're sure it's a 99.999% deal.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm more wary of IP crap getting in the way of digital carryover than I am of whether or not it can be done. The carryover is as simple as checking your account to see if you've bought the game, but we all know that most publishers are greedy to the point of happily screwing over consumers so it would be pretty likely that some of them are going to go "no, you have to rebuy that game on a new system, even if it's identical".

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm more wary of IP crap getting in the way of digital carryover than I am of whether or not it can be done. The carryover is as simple as checking your account to see if you've bought the game, but we all know that most publishers are greedy to the point of happily screwing over consumers so it would be pretty likely that some of them are going to go "no, you have to rebuy that game on a new system, even if it's identical".

I hope that by this point game developers, publishers, and console makers have learned how to write licensing agreements that makes it harder to lose a game entirely. Not saying it is impossible but with video games being as big as they are there is no reason why IP law should prevent the carry over of digital purchases from console to console.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »

I hope that by this point game developers, publishers, and console makers have learned how to write licensing agreements that makes it harder to lose a game entirely. Not saying it is impossible but with video games being as big as they are there is no reason why IP law should prevent the carry over of digital purchases from console to console.

No reasonable reason, yeah. But I can absolutely see most publishers digging in their heels and saying "just because you bought the game on one system doesn't mean you have a right to play it on the next system", particularly now that remakes and remasters have gained traction. Heck, if it were up to some publishers we'd have to pay per minute gameplay, but you would have to buy the minutes in preset chunks.

• Options
    I'm happy Sony's finally catching up with 3D audio. Despite having support for it on bluray films (not UHD, because no PS4 plays UHD, which kind of takes some of the steam out from that), Sony never brought Dolby Atmos or any other 3D audio solution over to actual Playstation 4 games. Xbox One got this years ago, much less PC.

Actually owning a PS4, I was hoping Dolby Atmos would come over to games eventually, but at least they haven't completely forgotten it for the future.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Have they said if PS4 backwards compatibility extends to digital purchases just carrying over? I'm like 90% download-only thanks to the complete lack of physical stores anywhere near me, so this is gonna be a deal-breaker. If I'm just carrying the whole library across, that's close to a day-one purchase just for the load times.

They haven't said it, but for example if you had Journey on the PS3, when it came out for PS4 it was automatically added to your PS4 library. This of course was a decision from the developer, but the capability for the store to automatically give the license does exist, even when they are actually two different games.

So I guess we will just see our PS4 library automatically, as a PS4 game. I do know some devs have already said that if they release a PS5 version of a PS4 game, you'll get an upgrade to it for free, but that's developer specific too.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    All your digital PS4, PS3, PSP and PSVita games are tied to your PSN account, so there shouldn't be any problems in the back end. So, in theory, it should work such that any supported PS4 game will simply appear in your PS5's owned game library.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    All your digital PS4, PS3, PSP and PSVita games are tied to your PSN account, so there shouldn't be any problems in the back end. So, in theory, it should work such that any supported PS4 game will simply appear in your PS5's owned game library.

Ps1 too

Since I had a PSP Go I have an absolute ton of digital ps1 and psp titles as well as my entire vita library. I’d love if thatbstuff became compatible, but I’m not holding my breath or anything

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    There's no reason the PS1 catalogue shouldn't be compatible. Emulation was trivial years ago.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    There's no reason the PS1 catalogue shouldn't be compatible. Emulation was trivial years ago.

There's no reason the PS1 catalog shouldn't be compatible with the PS4, but it is. I mean, shit, it was playable on a PSP and yet somehow not on a PS4?

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.