As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Honestly I just think Canadian polling is total shit.
    Just vote for the best people you think can stop the CPC in your riding.

The granular nature of ridings definitely makes seat counts tricky to project, especially from national polls. There's the possibility that the Con numbers are being slightly inflated by ridings they already have in Alberta and Saskatchewan, where they're going to hold those ridings with 110% of the vote.
    Meanwhile, you have some ridings in Atlantic Canada that the Liberals are very likely to hold. But things like the Green surge here, and less enthusiasm for Trudeau than in 2015, mean that the margins will be smaller. They're going to get more ridings with ~40%, rather than the 60-70%+ they saw in some Atlantic ridings last time around.

With factors like this all across the country, it becomes very difficult to do seat projections. Especially with four or five parties contending for seats in many areas. At the same time, it can be tricky getting enough of a sample size in one specific riding for a survey to be worth anything.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »
    ... just wish he had pushed harder to still have electoral reform on his party's platform or got the job done of getting rid of FPTP while he had a majority, like specifically back IRV with a sunset clause referendum if that is their favourite.

It's like Brexit. You have a majority in favor of some kind of change... but there's not enough solid support for any particular alternative to make it a winning issue.

That's why I think its wise that the NDP are backing a particular alternative (MMP) and wish other parties had done something similar for IRV and STV.

Which cuts out some of the support from people who want reform but not MMP... and even if you still have majority support, it's not intense enough to persuade people to vote for that one issue (see: LDs backing Revoke).

This is the frustrating thing about referendum questions, I swear I saw one that instructed people to pick one of the following methods, with 3 or 4 being some form of non-FPTP system and FPTP as well. The vote came back with FPTP getting less than 50% of the vote and everything else getting less than FPTP so they just concluded that's the system they're sticking with when something like 70% of the people didn't want it. Kind of a frustrating snapshot of how my riding splits the vote and PC manages to squeeze in because they've got 35% of the vote compared to 32% NDP, 30% Liberal and misc parties with the rest.

steam_sig.png
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    If we can avoid a CPC majority, good.

If we can avoid a CPC minority, even better.

If we can also avoid a LPC majority, even better.

I mean ideal situation for me is the NDP riding a surprise wave of enthusiasm to all 338 seats.

Someone pointed out that this feels very much like the 2011 (?) provincial election in AB, where the Wild Rose were polling high enough that we all kind-of rallied behind the PCs. The chant of the night was 'Status quo! Status quo!', and yes, that rings some bells.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Someone pointed out that this feels very much like the 2011 (?) provincial election in AB, where the Wild Rose were polling high enough that we all kind-of rallied behind the PCs. The chant of the night was 'Status quo! Status quo!', and yes, that rings some bells.

Wildrose also scared the crap out of a lot of people in the last week or so of the election with their lake of fire moment and I think there was something else in there as well to scare people away from them. Just need Rob Ford to come out of the woodwork, make a couple of quotable quotes and completely torpedo the PCs in Ontario.

steam_sig.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to Doug Ford continuing his reign of terror as soon as the federal election is done and he is unmuzzled

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Man, I love articles like this.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-a-coalition-government-isnt-the-canadian-way

Especially since we inherited out political system from the brits who essentially just came out of a period of coalition and has happened multiple times in the past.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Man, I love articles like this.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-a-coalition-government-isnt-the-canadian-way

Especially since we inherited out political system from the brits who essentially just came out of a period of coalition and has happened multiple times in the past.

Haven’t read it, but I’ll assume it’s retreading the same ground Harper did back when opposition parties were talking about coalition.

Edit: yeah, kinda.

Also, notably no listed author, not that I could see

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    My mom was working at the advance polls and had some interesting encounters. Two people were very interested in voting out Trudeau (since he plans to take away their guns) and were very upset that he wasn't on the ballot itself so they could vote against him. They didn't seem to understand that they were voting for the local candidate rather than the prime minister. A woman was confused by the appearance of the PPC on the ballot and was annoyed that the poll workers wouldn't tell her who they were.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Teriferin wrote: »
    My mom was working at the advance polls and had some interesting encounters. Two people were very interested in voting out Trudeau (since he plans to take away their guns) and were very upset that he wasn't on the ballot itself so they could vote against him. They didn't seem to understand that they were voting for the local candidate rather than the prime minister. A woman was confused by the appearance of the PPC on the ballot and was annoyed that the poll workers wouldn't tell her who they were.

This makes me sad :(

sig.gif
    Richy wrote: »

I think we would all be deeply depressed if we know what the actual average level of political awareness and knowledge was in Canada.

There are absolutely scores of people in Canada who vote LPC in one election and CPC in the next for no other reason than ‘to give us a change’, and who could not cite a single policy by either.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Canada just beat the US in soccer for the first time in 34 years. Just want all the other Canadians here to know that. I’m pretty pumped about it.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

I think we would all be deeply depressed if we know what the actual average level of political awareness and knowledge was in Canada.

There are absolutely scores of people in Canada who vote LPC in one election and CPC in the next for no other reason than ‘to give us a change’, and who could not cite a single policy by either.

Every time I hear someone here complain about the federal Liberals because they don't like how our premier has handled education, it makes me a little more depressed about politics in this country.
    I guess at least that's a dumb thing that works in all directions, with Ford hurting the CPC in Ontario.

Also, every time I hear professional political journalists refer to the current federal conservatives as the PCs.

Every time I hear someone here complain about the federal Liberals because they don't like how our premier has handled education, it makes me a little more depressed about politics in this country.
    I guess at least that's a dumb thing that works in all directions, with Ford hurting the CPC in Ontario.

Also, every time I hear professional political journalists refer to the current federal conservatives as the PCs.

I do think there’s a stronger argument for Ford, given that Scheer’s openly stated they shared the same goals. But yeah, our population seems to base a lot of its political decision making on something other than reality.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Has Trudeau ever said he was planning on anything more than tweaking Gun Control? I have a couple of coworkers and family who are certain that any day now, Trudeau and his cronies will swoop down and take all their guns away.

They get slightly peeved when I ask them if any of their guns have been taken, each time I see them in person.

Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Has Trudeau ever said he was planning on anything more than tweaking Gun Control? I have a couple of coworkers and family who are certain that any day now, Trudeau and his cronies will swoop down and take all their guns away.

They get slightly peeved when I ask them if any of their guns have been taken, each time I see them in person.

Typical right-wing gun craziness.

In fact I heard the opposite, people mocking Trudeau's promise to ban automatic weapons because automatic weapons are already banned in Canada. I honestly don't know enough about gun policy to know if this is true or not.

sig.gif
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

In fact I heard the opposite, people mocking Trudeau's promise to ban automatic weapons because automatic weapons are already banned in Canada. I honestly don't know enough about gun policy to know if this is true or not.

That was my take on it as well, when I heard him talking about that I was like.. do we have an automatic weapon issue in Canada? You cant get that stuff here (well legally right?)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I looked up my NDP nominee in my riding (Ottawa/Vanier). Young woman whose website and flyers contain nothing but criticisms against Trudeau and Scheer, with literally no information on the NDP's actual platforms and what her policy priorities are. I wanted to feel like I had an alternative to voting Red this year, but I can't say I have much confidence in my local NDP's ability to lead on anything aside from "at least we're not the other guys". Dissapointing. I'll be voting red.

In other news, my wife spoke to her mother and was frustrated to find that it appears my MIL was pressured into her family into voting blue. When my wife asked why, the answer was "I don't follow politics and I didn't want to piss them off". I questioned why my MIL thought that who she voted for was anyone's business but her own and also why, if she doesn't care about politics, is she always bitching about the government? So frustrated.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Canada just beat the US in soccer for the first time in 34 years. Just want all the other Canadians here to know that. I’m pretty pumped about it.

Not just beat them, but controlled that game. Alphonso Davies is going to be a legitimate star.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Visiting family in rural PEI over Thanksgiving, we got talking about politics. It came out that one of my cousins wasn’t planning on voting, and we all sort of ganged up on him. “Between school and hockey, I don’t have the time!” he said.

His brother pointed out that he has time for video games. One cousin pointed out people in Hong Kong were basically risking their lives for freedoms like this. I started listing out the parties and giving them one line “this is what they’re about.” My grandfather told him to just walk into the booth and vote for the red party, and that the orange party would also be acceptable, but he’d be disowned otherwise.

I appreciate my family.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    My riding in West Winnipeg has a funny thing happening. In 2015 the liberals unseated an 11 year conservative incumbent MP (Steven Fletcher). Fletcher was then kicked out of the conservative party and tried his hand and failed at provincial politics. This election he has switched to the PPC. There is also a new conservative running in the riding against the current liberal MP.

Fletcher is running his old conservative signs across the area with the conservative part coloured over, however the sign has the old "re-elect" text from when they were posted back in 2015. I see tonnes of the Steven Fletcher signs everywhere as well lots of conservative signs for the new con MP. I'm certain this is going to confuse the hell out of people. My father in-laws neighbours who are Indian immigrants have the Steven Fletcher sign up on their lawn and I am convinced it's because he is just a known name in the area. I'll be curious to see how the votes split between Fletcher and the new conservative MP.

Hopefully it all leads to the liberal MP keeping his seat.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Hah! I grew up in Crestview and now live in Charleswood and my parents are in Headingley.

Did you manage to early vote? Between the blizzard and getting ready for thanksgiving I didn’t manage to, and now I’m kicking myself

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Unfortunately no early voting for me. The blizzard practically destroyed my street. Though luckily our power stayed on. I spent most of the weekend cleaning up trees and snow.

I'm in Westwood! My in-laws live in Charleswood and my parents are in Fort Garry.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Visiting family in rural PEI over Thanksgiving, we got talking about politics. It came out that one of my cousins wasn’t planning on voting, and we all sort of ganged up on him. “Between school and hockey, I don’t have the time!” he said.

His brother pointed out that he has time for video games. One cousin pointed out people in Hong Kong were basically risking their lives for freedoms like this. I started listing out the parties and giving them one line “this is what they’re about.” My grandfather told him to just walk into the booth and vote for the red party, and that the orange party would also be acceptable, but he’d be disowned otherwise.

I appreciate my family.

Got into a FB argument with a guy I went to HS with 15 years ago that was a total bro at the time and apparently has not changed. He was taking it upon himself to criticize Trudeau on a mutual's post encouraging people to get out and vote. When I pressed him on his comment he informed me and the rest of the thread that he wasn't going to vote because "They're all criminals anyway and he'd rather go snowboarding".

Few things get me more ragey than when people proudly proclaim they don't vote for incredibly stupid reasons they're using to lampshade the fact that they're too stupid to care.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I do think there’s a stronger argument for Ford, given that Scheer’s openly stated they shared the same goals. But yeah, our population seems to base a lot of its political decision making on something other than reality.

This is not Canada specific honestly. Studies of how voters behave and make their decisions are kinda depressing honestly.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Not sure this is really cool, to be honest. I don't think a former US president should be suggesting who people should vote for in Canada (or any other country)

:so_raven:
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Not sure this is really cool, to be honest. I don't think a former US president should be suggesting who people should vote for in Canada (or any other country)

Hmm, interesting question. While there is no doubt that an effective endorsement from Obama may seem like foreign interference, the fact remains that, as influential as he is, Obama is currently a private citizen and holds no public office. Legally speaking, I believe he's just a private citizen voicing an opinion, so I don't believe this would amount to interference, in a legal sense.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531

Hmm, interesting question. While there is no doubt that an effective endorsement from Obama may seem like foreign interference, the fact remains that, as influential as he is, Obama is currently a private citizen and holds no public office. Legally speaking, I believe he's just a private citizen voicing an opinion, so I don't believe this would amount to interference, in a legal sense.

I thought that once you became POTUS you never returned to civilian life?

I kind of agree that an endorsement like that shouldn't be allowed. Or, in a perfect world, people should probably realize that an endorsement like that is completely empty.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

I feel like this is more of a celebrity endorsement. Still, celebrity of a foreign country doesn't feel good, but I'm not sure there's much to be done about it...

Also, to quickly circle back...
    darkmayo wrote: »

That was my take on it as well, when I heard him talking about that I was like.. do we have an automatic weapon issue in Canada? You cant get that stuff here (well legally right?)

The proposed ban is on semi-automatic "assault rifle style" (CBC article link). It is typical right-wing gun craziness, but the rub is in the wording. "“...Ban all military-style assault rifles, including the AR-15.” It's not about the rifle itself though, it's about the semi-automatic function, and a nebulous "military-style" assault weapon.

I own a semi-automatic assault rifle, a Russian SKS. Is it incredibly fun to shoot at a range? Yes! Do I enjoy owning it? Yes! Does it have any inherent value as a hunting weapon or as a "tool" (as hunters attempt to claim to keep their guns)? FUCK NO. Personally, I'm all for getting rid of semi-automatic rifles, full stop (quit bandying about with the "assault weapon" moniker). I support a buyback.

Right wingers aren't getting worked up over something that is already banned. It's getting worked up about something that might get banned, that's fun to own, and allows them to keep a misguided "defend my castle" fantasy.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

I appreciate my family.

Your grandpa is a commie?

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I don't want any foreign leader weighing in on our elections. Obama or Trump.
    Figure out your own country first.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

thanks obama

(also it's fine, he's a former president expressing free speech, he can do whatever he wants. if he was in power ehh)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Post Trump world. Say and do whatever you want. Publicly support whomever. No consequences anymore. Cats and dogs living with each other etc...

edited October 2019
    Another set of polls. Mostly showing the Liberals and Conservatives in a dead heat, except Angus Reid which, true to form, has the Liberals down 4 points

Which is actually better than it was! So upwards trend? Once again, no one has any idea what the election will look like.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I liked Obama a lot, and Trudeau well enough but I would have preferred a more circumspect tweet like “As president I enjoyed working with Justin Trudeau and wish him luck in his upcoming election”

Otherwise I feel out of power politicians and celebrities are fine to enjoy all the same free speech the rest of us have.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

I appreciate my family.

Liberals are red,
    Conservatives are blue,
    The NDP is orange,
    I voted! Have you?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

I appreciate my family.

Liberals are red,
    Conservatives are blue,
    The NDP is orange,
    I voted! Have you?

It's weird for Americans because our leftist party is blue and conservative party is red.

Which happens to be the exact opposite for the rest of the anglosphere.

steam_sig.png
  • BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

I kind of agree that an endorsement like that shouldn't be allowed. Or, in a perfect world, people should probably realize that an endorsement like that is completely empty.

Shouldn't be allowed? Are you expecting the free speech police to storm across the border and stick socks in his mouth? Anyone can freely comment on the election -- they need to be fair and free, and that involves being able to withstand outside input. He's not hacking voting machines, or funneling money to the LPC to support US interests (at least, I don't have any ground to believe that), he's just stating his favourable personal experience with Trudeau, that their political interests align, and that he thinks Trudeau is good for Canada.

As usual, Beaverton has the best take on this issue:
    Obama betrays fellow countryman

sig.gif
    Blarghy wrote: »

Shouldn't be allowed? Are you expecting the free speech police to storm across the border and stick socks in his mouth? Anyone can freely comment on the election -- they need to be fair and free, and that involves being able to withstand outside input. He's not hacking voting machines, or funneling money to the LPC to support US interests (at least, I don't have any ground to believe that), he's just stating his favourable personal experience with Trudeau, that their political interests align, and that he thinks Trudeau is good for Canada.

Ok, pump your brakes a bit. "Isn't appropriate" is perhaps a better phrasing I should have used. I'm obviously not making some sort of broad judgement on free speech.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.