As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I re-upped and am up to 29 with double xp and not that much play time, after the re-up.

I need to start playing with people in the thread since my regular friends abandoned me for Borderlands.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I just realized that, in singleplayer if you're revving the chainsaw lancer...Juveniles won't attack you, but kind of circle you and belligerently hiss until another enemy knocks your lancer down.

That's fucking brilliant.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mechanical wrote: »
    This latest hive seems dumb. The premier strategy is just haul ass and retry as many times as it takes to just get to the end fighting zero enemies.

That may be more faithful to the "lore" of the game mode I guess though

It'll also get you a worse time in most circumstances since you're not getting the tags or the kill bounties.

it's weird because i know the mode is supposed to be a "high score" thing...well low score? whatever, everyone knows what i mean. i have yet to go in trying to actually compete for a leaderboard position. if the team doesn't do something catastrophically dumb immediately following the first encounter i consider it a blessing. actually completing the hive? that's damn near miraculous
    I really cannot fathom what was going through the Coalition's collective minds when they came up with the idea of executions as cosmetics.... and made almost all of the unlockable ones WORSE than the defaults.

Like, they're all "We took this fairly boring execution from the Enforcer or Marksa and added it to weapons like the Breaker mace, which has a fantastic default execution."

EDIT: The Swarm character models are all like this too; the defaults are the cooler looking "Elite" versions and the harder to acquire ones are the basic models. What the heck?

i actually think the new boltok one is pretty dumb. it is more damning that you cannot curb stomp. that's as iconic as the lancer.

sort of related but the the throat slice execution an unlockable?
    @WingedWeasel

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    This latest hive seems dumb. The premier strategy is just haul ass and retry as many times as it takes to just get to the end fighting zero enemies.

It'll also get you a worse time in most circumstances since you're not getting the tags or the kill bounties.

it's weird because i know the mode is supposed to be a "high score" thing...well low score? whatever, everyone knows what i mean. i have yet to go in trying to actually compete for a leaderboard position. if the team doesn't do something catastrophically dumb immediately following the first encounter i consider it a blessing. actually completing the hive? that's damn near miraculous
    I really cannot fathom what was going through the Coalition's collective minds when they came up with the idea of executions as cosmetics.... and made almost all of the unlockable ones WORSE than the defaults.

Like, they're all "We took this fairly boring execution from the Enforcer or Marksa and added it to weapons like the Breaker mace, which has a fantastic default execution."

EDIT: The Swarm character models are all like this too; the defaults are the cooler looking "Elite" versions and the harder to acquire ones are the basic models. What the heck?

i actually think the new boltok one is pretty dumb. it is more damning that you cannot curb stomp. that's as iconic as the lancer.

@WingedWeasel

Saw that earlier today. I personally prefer some other iterations of it but I'm glad that it's getting added

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

@WingedWeasel

Video games are pretty weird. This tweet is literally "check out this short snuff film GIF... it's fanservice!"

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Honestly I think they originally left it out intentionally because it's kind of a controversial thing to have in a video game, mostly since that was back when violent things were the "rule of cool." Even back in 2006, the most common association with the 'curb stomp' in media was with American History X, where the curb stomp in question is a hate crime.

Idk it's been taboo from the start, so it's probably a hard line to walk between "what fans what" vs "modern day sensibilities." Gears has admirably tried to adapt to the times, but it's still a game about turning everything in front of you into ground beef using a shotgun. So you either give the fans what the want or rather, reinvent the wheel. Kind of like how God of War did.

The issue is they also have to please the multiplayer fans too, who probably don't want too much in the way of drastic gameplay changes. It's always felt like just nailing down the netcode, engine and gameplay over time was Epic's strength when they helmed the franchise. Gears 3 was rock solid compared to 5, which while ambitious and better story-wise, actually felt less polished than 4...

• Options
    I think they get away with it because it's monsters and action heroes doing it to each other, rather than normal people doing it to normal people.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Pretty much how all violence has worked forever. Do it to the baddies, it's OK.

• Options
    God, thought I had fixed the game just deciding to lock my PC up in Act 3/4, but sadly I was just getting lucky it seems. Every patch I get my hopes up. Good thing gamepass let me find this shit.

• Options
    Heh, gotta love the guy who quit out of this escape match because they were dead.. right after I hit the switch to close the doors when there were barely any enemies coming.

Totally won that match.

• Options
    Finished out my Tour of Duty today. Overall, I can't say I recommend it. The rewards aren't great, though the grind wasn't awful (if you spaced it out over 3 months instead of a month and change.). Dunno if I'll do the next one. (If they changed things up and made the ranks Locust ranks like Uzil instead of General, I might be convinced to do this again.)

Oh well, I guess I have a couple of months to decide. Maybe I'll finish out the rest of these medals. (Aside from the mastering hives one, I don't think I'll be able to get that even if I had maxxed out characters.)

I checked the in-game news thing, which was sad because A. It hasn't been updated since launch as far as I can tell and B. Mentions how there will be "new characters to earn" in october, which is damn near half over and we haven't heard word one about it. Hopefully their post-launch roadmap wasn't too ambitious.

• Options
    Honestly every time i turn around I read about people trashing gears 5. Granted most are on the competitive side so they don't like a lot of things that have been added, some I get, some I don't. Still there are complaints outside the multiplayer that are pretty common as well, just doesn't seem to be going well for the coalition

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's the biggest, most successful Game Pass launch of all time. All those players of course have a chance to complain.

It did launch buggy and they do deserve criticism for that, though.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    o0o0pgj77gnq.png

Hilarious.

And, in case you're wondering/don't feel like reading the thread as to why it's funny and warranted:
    The game is already ruined when it's an obvious loss because I got the shit team that insists on struggling and dragging out escalation after losing the first couple rounds and going all negative cause the other team is stacked or there some fuckwit that's much better than the rest of the lobby. The matches I left were shit anyway, and fuck TC for forcing us to play ranked for that fucking medal.

(Via Reddit, via Trueachievements, not kotaku)

Also:

edit: It was via TA, it matters because achievement hunters abused the MM in Gears 4 horrendously because their achievements were/are awful. Really waiting on the Seriously "Episode 2" shoe to drop.

edit2: further digging was a warning ban, but still:

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    As someone who has ragequitted my share of Overwatch matches (my solution is now "I don't play Overwatch against humans unless I have no other choice."), but buys GOW games with the multiplayer as an afterthought....really kind of hard to sympathize with him.

Like...obviously I'm a neophyte, but from his actual complaint, does he not understand how multiplayer works? There will be someone better, I especially understand that. Could he not get that medal or just play social games in general?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    In his defense, the ranked/matchmaking tasks required when pursuing Gears achievements are lame, and usually resulted in people being in there just for the achievement/medal and not for the gameplay. Multiplayer achievements are generally awful though, so yeah.

It looks like the tour just required 10 Escalation match wins though, so for a person to go to that extreme (18 out of 21 games quit) is lame too. But it's not like TC didn't create a situation that promotes misbehaviour by their achievements and all, nor will they not repeat this same issue every time after the fact. But it was like before TC too, so... they're not exactly reinventing the wheel.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    It's not like it's a mystery at this point that Gears achievements are always super grindy. Just because you want to 100% a game does not mean you're justified in ruining the game for everyone else. Yeah sure, it does suck trying to catch em all but it's hardly a necessity.

• Options
    It's not like it's a mystery at this point that Gears achievements are always super grindy. Just because you want to 100% a game does not mean you're justified in ruining the game for everyone else. Yeah sure, it does suck trying to catch em all but it's hardly a necessity.

Yeah, the Overwatch (and pretty much every other multiplayer) experience has taught me that the overall population experience really really takes precedent over any individual player, especially if that player is trying to get a specific medal and then proceeded to quit 18 out of 21 matches in a day.

Ranked matches. I've quite a couple social matches over Overwatch in one day and taken the punishment--you know, where there's no actual ranking coming out of it and it "doesn't matter" according to the community.

On it's face, it absolutely seems draconian--except that he can still play social, and that he likely has fucked up a whole bunch of other matches for other people (18 in one day alone), who don't deserve it. But I'm way over my head trying to determine what a fitting punishment ought to be.

• Options
    edited October 2019

Oh, absolutely. While my perspective is focused on the achievements, the medals are also tied to in-game rewards for the Tour. The Versus gets an emote/expression. People sandbag in gametypes they don't play/like in other games for ingame stuff too. Gambit comes to mind in Destiny 2.

This is just the first time in recent years at least, that I've really seen a dev really push some hardcore punishments out about it, even though that just seemed to be an eye-opener for everyone that was chain quitting in ranked.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Apparently the trick for the invincible Scion escape map is to just lock him in an ammo room.

Edit: Speak of the devil..

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Apparently the trick for the invincible Scion escape map is to just lock him in an ammo room.

Safest way, anyway. Still gotta watch the grunts at higher difficulty levels with that damage mod though, they'll tear you a new one with a good burst.

• Options
    So I'm playing the invincible sire map on Elite, but my team is just trying to get to the exit as fast as possible and we inevitably fail to outrun the scion, so one person gives up after a few tries and quits. Other person is playing Emile while I'm playing Keegan (basically worthless outside of being an ammo bucket)

Other guy sticks around, so I figure we could give it a couple shots if I can do the room trick... only I realize I have no flashbangs so that ain't going to work. We die a few more times and I figure the guy would quit, but he sticks around... so I stick around, because I don't want to be the one who leaves first and I'm curious see how long he'll stay. We proceed to throw our heads at every conceivable angel, but we just can't make decent headway. It's pretty obvious we just don't have the firepower or the time to do it the right way. I think we might have been able to make it to a distant room, find a flashbang and do the trick, but neither of us are micced, so I doubt we could have coordinated. But he didn't give up, so I didn't either, as if we had entered into some unspoken blood pact to never be the first one to leave, as we banged out heads against this obviously unbeatable situation. Probably at least an hour of attempts that lasted for no more than a minute or two.

Finally he just kinda tries to sprint to the exit, which I was about to scoff at, until I realize we had both forgotten about Emile's shield dome ability. Out of sheer luck we managed to get through the first large group of enemies... and in it turned out getting through the second is easier dodge due to being able to run through a little outcove. We got outside! And promptly died. But we got outside! We might actually be able to do this!

Cue more of this mad sprinting as we try to dodge out ways outside, and somehow deal with the shitload of crap we dreg up following us out. We get close one time but I made the mistake of trying to save him instead of letting him die and we got stuck in the doors and/or eaten. Another time we got outside and managed to drop a scion, but I just couldn't finish the second one in time.

Finally. FINALLY we luck out and manage to get no scions on the back porch, just a couple of robots and a elite drone to kill and just barely kill them all.

I think I went from level 75-82.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    So I'm playing the invincible sire map on Elite, but my team is just trying to get to the exit as fast as possible and we inevitably fail to outrun the scion, so one person gives up after a few tries and quits. Other person is playing Emile while I'm playing Keegan (basically worthless outside of being an ammo bucket)

Keegan's actually got a pretty good generalized toolkit. That 50% damage boost on the Hammerburst is no joke once it's leveled and at higher levels you've also got access to bleed damage with explosives, plus on top of that if you're marking targets you're helping the rest of your team's cooldowns. Not very flashy, but utilitarian.

• Options
    New character reveal time!
    NEW CHARACTERS
    New Characters will arrive with Title Update 1.5 on Wednesday!

Keep an eye out for a full announcement tomorrow, where we’ll reveal the entire lineup of Characters coming in the update along with a first-look trailer.

:rotate:
    TU1.5 UPDATE NOTES
    Title Update 1.5 falls out our usual monthly cadence of Title Updates to add gameplay and functionality to support the new Characters, making it smaller than our usual Title Updates.

FEATURES
    New Characters
    CHANGES AND FIXES
    Re-Ups will now also show in Scoreboards, Matchmaking Lobbies, the Social Panel and in the Post Match flow
    Re-Ups no longer show 3 Re-Ups higher than you are in lobbies
    Tour of Duty Medals now show their Stars value again
    Re-Rolled Objectives will no longer award the same objective
    Quitters in Ranked will now have a much reduced impact on Skill Rating calculations for other players in the lobby
    Fixed a bug causing the Gnasher to use PVE tuning values for bullet magnetism range
    Fixed a bug causing the Gnasher to still have bullet magnetism while ADS while Aim Assist is disabled
    Fixed a bug causing bullet magnetism to still occur when using the double zoom on any weapon while Aim Assist is disabled
    Bunker: Jack can now fly more consistently in the underground areas behind the ladders
    Exhibit: Improved KOTH Spawns
    Exhibit: In Escalation, the two center line placement diamonds no longer overlap
    Forge: Incinerator now deals 1 million damage, reliably killing any creature or boss inside
    Forge: The Incinerator no longer destroys any power taps or fortifications inside
    Forge: Updated the location of some Power Taps
    Reclaimed: Updated the location of some Power Taps
    Harbor: AI can now correctly path into spawns
    Bleeding damage will no longer be applied to the Matriarch unless she is shot in her weak point
    Explosive Hijack no longer damages fortifications
    Frag Grenades and Lancer GL Grenades now count towards the Get 15 Explosive Weapon Kills Tour Objective
    Bumper scrolling through Characters in Escape and Horde lobbies will now allow you to tab through Characters regardless of duplicates present.
    Tour of Duty: Power Hoarder Medal and Power Tour Objectives now include Power Tap, Forge and shared pickup gains rather than just your own pickups
    Fixed an issue that could cause only a single placement award to be granted even though a user is tiered in multiple modes
    Fixed an issue that could sometimes cause Quickplay playlists to skip the voting phase after the end of a match
    Fixed an issue causing Character descriptions to display too low down in the Customization screen
    Fixed an issue that could cause the Host to enter first person view in Campaign under certain conditions
    Fixed an issue where clicking Mark followed by Zoom too quickly would cause zoom to not initiate
    Re-Up 20 now shows the correct roman numerals
    Minor bug fixes and improvements
    Unfortunately, a last minute issue was discovered with blocking Flashbangs working through cover in the hours prior to submitting this update to certification. Due to this, we were unable to resolve this as planned for Title Update 1.5, and we hope to resolve it in time for our next Title Update.

We have another update on the way in early November to add further improvements and bug fixes. Stay tuned for more information over the coming weeks.

New escape room is a 1-level map with a high-speed venom crawl, and new versus mode is faster version of arms race.

• Options
    Basically if they don't add a Carmine or Dizzy Reddit will explode

• Options
    Basically if they don't add a Carmine or Dizzy Reddit will explode

They'll do Baird, Cole and Paduk before they do Dizzy, IMO. Those 3 and Carmine are the ones I'm expecting.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I want Lizzy Carmine, she was so cool :<

• Options
    The forums have been weird lately. Not showing new posts so hopefully this isn't a repeat

• Options
    Wow who was asking to play as Deebees

• Options
    Who was asking to play a generic COG? You could have at least made it Lizzy Carmine or something.

• Options
    Who was asking to play a generic COG? You could have at least made it Lizzy Carmine or something.

Can't they just do skins for all the Carmine there tho

Not saying they will, but they can

• Options
    The Coalition seems pretty out of it. No one cares about any of those characters, I email about the game freezing the PC and they ask about the internet connection, they never did fix 4, character system is a step back etc.

I'll settle for the game working, though, all they have to do.

• Options
    Like, that lineup is so disappointing that I'm not sure I'm going to bother to "earn" the characters (whatever that means).

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The Coalition seems pretty out of it. No one cares about any of those characters, I email about the game freezing the PC and they ask about the internet connection, they never did fix 4, character system is a step back etc.

I'll settle for the game working, though, all they have to do.

You still can't play the game on PC? That's a bummer. DF can rant and rave about the technical aspects of the PC port, but those don't really matter if you can't play them.

I think I'll probably go ahead with my plan to buy a physical Xbox One release--maybe there's "no slowdown in Horde mode on PC", but the game's worked flawlessly on console since the initial pre-launch insanity.

• Options
    Act 3 and 4 are unplayable on PC for me (and at least a few others). Locks the entire PC up most of the time. Act 1 and 2 and multiplayer modes are fine. So it's them, not us.

I am sure others have it work fine as if it was universal they'd have fixed it by now. Or who knows.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Act 3 and 4 are unplayable on PC for me (and at least a few others). Locks the entire PC up most of the time. Act 1 and 2 and multiplayer modes are fine. So it's them, not us.

I am sure others have it work fine as if it was universal they'd have fixed it by now. Or who knows.

That really sucks. I've generally avoided the PC version simply because my machine is getting on there in the years, even if I do have a GTX 1080ti. "Unreliable PC Ports" are still a pretty common thing this generation, look at train wrecks like No Man's Sky.

Console version is flawless (or as flawless as games get--even the buggy period was pretty manageable), probably because of the shit-storm that would result otherwise.

That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Especially since I've barely played the multiplayer, but I'm on Act 2 of my second playthrough now. :sad:

EDIT: It's infuriating to hear "Oh, I'm not having any bugs, so you must not be either/you're doing it wrong." I recently switched to Firefox (briefly) and was annoyed by Hybrid Sleep issues in Windows 10 causing hanging, and the response was a little too much "Oh, I've never heard of that problem before, and I've been using this for x years." "Here's a thread with people complaining browser hanging going back to 2012." "Hmmm...I don't know, I've never of it before." Who are you going to believe, me, or your own memories?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Folks on Reddit are saying for that new Terminator: Dark Fate character pack (2 characters, $20), the characters (at least Grace) has unique abilities/cards for Horde and Escape.

Can't be earned, must be bought. Ugh. I guess that's the price we pay for outside IP related content.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    IT'S A FUCKING AD FOR A MOVIE! THEY'RE LITERALLY MAKING YOU PAY FOR ADVERTISING!

The whole point of this kind of shit is that it's free content paid for by whoever is trying to promote the movie or whatever.

• Options
    This game is like a case study in how to lose a community

• Options
    Wait, you can't use Deebee in Horde or Escape? Is it just that character or all of them? That seems so weird