As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I found 3D touch to be massively annoying

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Recently got an apple watch series 3, noticed that there's a hollow gps indicator always on my iphone ever since I paired it with my watch. Seems to be because of the weather complication/widget thing on my watch face.

There's no way to get rid of the gps indicator if you want to use a weather widget on your watch face then?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Experimented a bit and concluded that the Watch 5 definitely has enough battery to use it a full day so I don't have to take it off for charging while sleeping, I can just charge it a bit after waking up and then for a bit when home from work.

On that note, anyone have some sleep-monitoring app for the watch to recommend?

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Experimented a bit and concluded that the Watch 5 definitely has enough battery to use it a full day so I don't have to take it off for charging while sleeping, I can just charge it a bit after waking up and then for a bit when home from work.

On that note, anyone have some sleep-monitoring app for the watch to recommend?

Sleep++ was an ok Free app. I use AutoSleep and it seems to work great for me.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I too have a 7 that's basically in perfect shape, so I've not been compelled to upgrade. But, now the Lightning port is starting to shit out. I've cleaned it out as best as I can, but 3 years of use has probably just worn it out. I wonder if it'd be worth having Apple just replace the port. I really don't want a payment plan.

Mercade on
    Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Crossposting from Help/Advice:

I have a 3rd or 4th gen iPod (not glass wheel but not an iPod Touch) with a lot of music on it and I'd love to get that music onto my phone, which is an iPhone SE. How do I do this? Is there a way to do it without using any third party programs? I read something about putting the iPod into 'disk mode' and futzing with hidden files but I'd like a second opinion before I dive in with that option.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »

I have a 3rd or 4th gen iPod (not glass wheel but not an iPod Touch) with a lot of music on it and I'd love to get that music onto my phone, which is an iPhone SE. How do I do this? Is there a way to do it without using any third party programs? I read something about putting the iPod into 'disk mode' and futzing with hidden files but I'd like a second opinion before I dive in with that option.

Is the music no longer available on the PC that loaded the ipod originally?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Is the music no longer available on the PC that loaded the ipod originally?

Negative. I'm 2-3 laptops away from when I initially got the iPod and loaded it up.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think the most straightforward course of action would be to copy all the songs from the iPod to iTunes? From there you can add them directly to your phone, or throw $25 at iTunes Match and upload the library so you can stream it/download it from anywhere.

• Options
    I think the most straightforward course of action would be to copy all the songs from the iPod to iTunes? From there you can add them directly to your phone, or throw $25 at iTunes Match and upload the library so you can stream it/download it from anywhere.

Am I able to drag stuff straight from my iPod to iTunes on my laptop or do I have to use a third party program or something to get the music off my iPod?

• Options

Am I able to drag stuff straight from my iPod to iTunes on my laptop or do I have to use a third party program or something to get the music off my iPod?

Yes you should be able to either drag or there is a function in there to upload all your music, it's been a while since I've had to have my music synched across all my devices.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'm reasonably sure that iTunes used to have a function to say "replace local contents with iPod contents", but I can't tell you if that is still there or not.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Yeah, it’s been a while, and I do remember some wonkiness around pairing devices and losing content on occasion. Might even be how I wound up with Apple Match.

Still, if you haven’t given it a shot yet, highly recommended. I feel like the issues I’m referring to were mostly gone by the time I went full wireless.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I updated my iPad to 13.2 and there’s things I like and things I don’t.

Things I like: smaller icons, mostly better internet navigation.

Things I don’t: selecting text still sucks, and I’ve accidentally opened up safari in a new window(as opposed to a new tab) a few times by accident and I couldn’t figure out how to close the window without going back to the home screen and closing out safari entirely.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    As a result of a random conversation at work I'm probably selling my old iPad Air 2 - feb2017 to a colleague. It seemed like a decent opportunity to do a random upgrade what with sales now and stuff. I'm thinking I will get somewhere around $150 for it, buddy-price looking at the second hand value here.

I 100% use it to browse and watch video apps in my couch or bed. Looking at the current models it seems like the only noticeable difference between the iPad and Air 3 is speed? I'm thinking the current regular iPad model is probably the right upgrade for me. I don't really think my current one is acting slow to begin with, I intend to use it in the same way I do now.

Does that sound reasonable?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    As a result of a random conversation at work I'm probably selling my old iPad Air 2 - feb2017 to a colleague. It seemed like a decent opportunity to do a random upgrade what with sales now and stuff. I'm thinking I will get somewhere around $150 for it, buddy-price looking at the second hand value here.

I 100% use it to browse and watch video apps in my couch or bed. Looking at the current models it seems like the only noticeable difference between the iPad and Air 3 is speed? I'm thinking the current regular iPad model is probably the right upgrade for me. I don't really think my current one is acting slow to begin with, I intend to use it in the same way I do now.

The Air 2 is going to be a night and day difference to any current model. That thing is... Slow. The Pros are nuts (I really like the 11") but if you don't want to spend on it, the basic modern iPad should do you well enough.

I will say, though, that the current Air has a bit more modern chip in; A12 vs the A10 in the basic iPad. I would personally, if not going Pro, look that way, but again, holy shit will any of these be faster than what you got.

Disclaimer: I tend to spend on my upgrades like this, but only very infrequently; my judgement is informed by a wish to future-proof as much as I possibly can following that pattern.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

The Air 2 is going to be a night and day difference to any current model. That thing is... Slow. The Pros are nuts (I really like the 11") but if you don't want to spend on it, the basic modern iPad should do you well enough.

I will say, though, that the current Air has a bit more modern chip in; A12 vs the A10 in the basic iPad. I would personally, if not going Pro, look that way, but again, holy shit will any of these be faster than what you got.

Disclaimer: I tend to spend on my upgrades like this, but only very infrequently; my judgement is informed by a wish to future-proof as much as I possibly can following that pattern.

That sounds great, I’ll most likely go with the regular 10” iPad then. It’ll basically just be a neat opportunity to do a performance upgrade. I’m totally satisfied using it the way I do now, pencil support might be nice if I check that out at some point though.

We went to the store now and checked out the models. God damn the pro is nice but I can’t motivate the cost with what I do with it. :P

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hmm. Exactly how great is the sound in Airpods Pro? I'm happy with my Jabra 65T Active Elite, but I can get the Airpods for $cheap through work right now.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Hmm. Exactly how great is the sound in Airpods Pro? I'm happy with my Jabra 65T Active Elite, but I can get the Airpods for $cheap through work right now.

I don't think it's much better than the Jabras. I think the biggest thing with the pros is the noise cancellation.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I picked up an iPhone 11 on Thursday. I feel like FaceID is one of the coolest things Apple has put into a phone.

The notch is a little more intrusive than I thought it would be though, especially given that Samsung put the speaker above the screen and the front camera in a small circle on the screen on the S10.

I think I may like Mrs. Facepunch’s S10 more than my 11. The horror!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Goddammit, Apple didn’t make a leather case for the 11. Can anyone recommend a good case that won’t add a lot of bulk to the phone?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Well crap. I love those things.

I found this guy: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HNUU2ZM/A/decoded-leather-card-case-for-iphone-11 and it doesn't look too awful. I'd never use that card slot though.

Edit: 11, not 11 Pro, right? I do see Apple-brand leather cases for the Pro.

dporowski on
  • Options

I found this guy: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HNUU2ZM/A/decoded-leather-card-case-for-iphone-11 and it doesn't look too awful. I'd never use that card slot though.

Yeah, 11. That case looks good, but I wanted to get one sooner rather than later so I went out and bought an Otterbox Symmetry. Doesn’t add too much bulk and doesn’t look like hell.

• Options

Yeah, 11. That case looks good, but I wanted to get one sooner rather than later so I went out and bought an Otterbox Symmetry. Doesn’t add too much bulk and doesn’t look like hell.

I'm close enough to an Apple store that uh, they'll deliver within 2 hours. Free. Anything.

This may have been expensive in the past.

• Options
    Yeah, that would have been pretty devastating to my finances as well.

As it is, the earliest I could have had that particular case delivered was the week after next, and I don’t have that kind of patience.

• Options
    Oh yeah no, I'd be too worried I'd drop the thing in the meantime. Not happening.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I got Apple Music with my Verizon plan but I've yet to touch it. I've been using Tidal for awhile and really like it's interface more. How do folks manage music with Apple Music? I don't have iTunes and don't really want to download it. I saw this (https://beta.music.apple.com/us/browse), has anyone tried it? I think that would make it a lot easier to get moving over since I could have 2 browsers open to copy playlists over.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I got Apple Music with my Verizon plan but I've yet to touch it. I've been using Tidal for awhile and really like it's interface more. How do folks manage music with Apple Music? I don't have iTunes and don't really want to download it. I saw this (https://beta.music.apple.com/us/browse), has anyone tried it? I think that would make it a lot easier to get moving over since I could have 2 browsers open to copy playlists over.

Honestly, I generally don't; the smart/"your" playlist station things are so good that I'm almost always using one of them.

Otherwise, the music app (they broke iTunes into chunks) currently looks exactly like that site's UI, so given how "perfectly fine" I find the former, I bet you'll be fine with that thing.

Edit: Oh, and smart playlists are pretty solid too, if you're married to manual. Basically builds a query and populates the playlist based on results, dynamically, for when you don't feel like drag and drop.

dporowski on
  • Options
    I'll give it a shot. The main reason I was swapping over was that Tidal was missing more video game OST's than apple music. Also I heard you could load your own MP3's into apple music which would go a long way. I still use MUSI a lot since unfortunately youtube and it's not nearly as good quality just has all the content.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to talk with my wife about getting an iPhone for our daughter. She'll be starting middle school in the Fall and we will need ways to get a hold of her. I was starting to look at iPhone 8 (and up) refurb/used. Is that a good generation to start? I know the iPhone 6 had (still has?) battery problems, so I'm trying to avoid those.

We're still mulling over budget for the handset, so consider this extremely high level.

My wife and I use Android, but all of her friends use Apple devices to chat via iMessage (and she has an iPad for home use).

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The 6 as a device didn't have battery problems, the generation of batteries it shipped with had problems. Any refurbed 6 should have a new battery and be safe from that.

• Options
    My iPhone 6s plus is still going strong. The battery isn't amazing when playing mobile games but for just normal web browsing and such it's ok. I still have it due to the 3.5mm port haha.

I'm getting an iPhone 8 for work here soon, so I can compare the 2. I don't have kids but I'd imagine the battery is pretty important so I'd shoot for a newer model.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    An iPhone 8 is plenty enough for a middle-schooler (that's what our 14-year-old uses). I'd even say an iPhone 7 would be fine honestly. Earlier is okay, but with the newer iOS updates you may start running into some performance issues, though maybe that's not as big a deal if it's their first phone.

Best advice I can give is either go very cheap, or get a very good case and screen protector for it. She WILL drop it, no matter how careful she is, and it will break if she doesn't have a good case on it. Hell, our daughter broke the screen on her previous phone twice, even with an otterbox on it. I don't know how the hell she did it.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    My 15 year old is using the plain iPhone 7, and my wife and I are still using our 7Plus and not having problems.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I’ve got a 7 Plus and aside from needing a new battery at one point and having a now-below par camera, it works great.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Are any of you getting an SSL error when trying to stream music on Apple Music today? I’ve been having the error and support is telling me I may have to do a full reset on my phone.

• Options
    Are any of you getting an SSL error when trying to stream music on Apple Music today? I’ve been having the error and support is telling me I may have to do a full reset on my phone.

Nope. However, are you up to date on your OS? That kind of error goes right along with that sort of symptom I've found.

• Options
    Everything was up to date. I ended up having to reset my phone, which was fantastic because the first time I tried to restore from a backup it didn't take. Everything is working now, but what a pain in the ass.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've had an iPhone 6s for about three years and I'm thinking about upgrading to an XR within the next half year or so. Is there a better time for such an acquisition? Is there a time during the year when it's more likely that prices will go down?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    You may want to wait until after they announce the SE2/iPhone 9 in March. It will likely replace the XR as the affordable new option.

can you feel the struggle within?