As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[South Park]? They still make that?

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Fractured But Whole's ending is very abrupt and catches you off guard. I literally thought "What? That's it? Is this real?" but then after letting it sink in for a minute I realized how perfectly South Park the ending was.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Yeah I just beat it and I stand by my statement.

It was fun though. Didn't think i'd come out of this hoping they make another but here we are.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Are you going to try either of the DLC's?

The characters and classes they add are retroactively added to every save you have and are added right to the game from the beginning so you can choose Netherborne or Final Girl as your first class.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I already didn't change my loadout at all about halfway through the game so I don't think i'd make much use of that. I didn't bother with the challenge mode one and I didn't want to do story stuff halfway through but now i'm kinda done with it so I don't know if i'll bother going back.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-18/-south-park-nears-500-million-deal-for-u-s-streaming-rights
    The show’s creators and media giant Viacom Inc. expect to share between $450 million and $500 million by selling the streaming rights to the animated comedy ... The value of popular TV reruns has skyrocketed, fueled by new streaming platforms seeking programming that can lure subscribers and provide an edge over rivals. Viacom and “South Park” creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone expect the multiyear deal to net more than double what Hulu paid in 2015.

*faints*

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The real question is how many dozens of services they'll split the different seasons onto.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    As long as I can watch new episodes for one week no matter what.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    As long as I can watch new episodes for one week no matter what.

Then the really real question is how many streaming services they'll split each new episode into.

We've already got shows and multi-part films with episodes split between multiple services, the assholes who keep splitting things up need to step up their game if they really want to fuck consumers over.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Adam "Ruins Everything" Conover made an interesting observation on the streaming deal:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So far this season has just been fine, with some highlights being Cartman's heart attack and Butters with the mummy last episode. And Randy's story has kind of been shit, but then I found out that Trey actually had a divorce happen earlier this year and maybe all the Tegridy stuff is him trying to work through it, it almost seems like it could be that way with the family being Matt and the other writers/animation heads and Trey being Randy. And when I found out about the divorce it makes the Butters/Mummy stuff seem like it might have hit close to home for Trey.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    The mummy’s douchbag selfies were amazing

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Yeah Apple literally can't afford to piss off China lest they lose access to all their factories

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Yeah Apple literally can't afford to piss off China lest they lose access to all their factories

Bien gracias, y tu?

That last episode was one of the worst ones in the show's history, down there with Million Little Fibers. More than anything it gave me a weird zombie simpsons vibe. Just lazy Trump jokes in an era where they're just getting stale and bland already and it still feels more like the show is upset that election ruined their season three years ago, this weird and failed attempt to make Randy not learn anything and keep hitting Tegridy into the ground, and just bring back the Whites for weak modern Simpsons/Family kind of jokes. The only smile was at the very end with the season finale joke but at this point I don't know if it's an actual break in the season because it's a few episodes too soon for an already small season schedule or what. Like come on Trey, either detox or go full hookers and coke bender or something, you're stuck in this weird miasma middle ground this year. Despicable Me 3 did this to you, didn't they? Do you need a hug?

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I read an interesting article a few days ago that the creators are abandoning the kids' plot lines largely in favor of Randy, much like the Simpsons switched from Bart to Homer years ago. I guess as older people Matt and Trey's humor has changed.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I read an interesting article a few days ago that the creators are abandoning the kids' plot lines largely in favor of Randy, much like the Simpsons switched from Bart to Homer years ago. I guess as older people Matt and Trey's humor has changed.

I'm guessing they don't identify with the kids as much as they did in the 90s.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the meta aspects of everyone saying they're sick of Tegridy Farms and wanting things to go back to normal. And the child detention center/dog kennel jokes were pretty brutal too. But overall yeah I like it more when the kids are the focus of the story.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So I was thrown off by last week's episode being "Season Finale" but apparently it wasn't actually the season finale as there is a new episode on right now.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    So I was thrown off by last week's episode being "Season Finale" but apparently it wasn't actually the season finale as there is a new episode on right now.

It was just the finale of the first season of Tegridy Farms, and season 2 starts now.

H9f4bVe.png
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Finally get to see Macho Man Randy Savage on South park.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm just wondering when the show is going to break my heart politically. So far this season they've come down on my side of essentially every issue, in some ways reversing past positions or writing, essentially, apologies into episodes.

How long can it last?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    I dunno, there was some weird gender essentialism in this episode. The whole "boys and girls play board games differently" argument was really shaky to me. In my D&D party, the women actually tend to be the ones who prefer roleplaying, and the men typically care more about rules-lawyering and stats. But I've met plenty of men and women with a wide variety of play-styles.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think it was a weird move to end a long series of jokes about trans-women with a call for nuance from a man who essentially assaulted a trans-woman (albeit a real straw caricature of a trans-woman).

I’d like to meet them halfway here, but they’ve handled trans issues incredibly poorly over the years. The guys have evolved substantially on some issues, but I don’t know if this is one of them.

I dunno, there was some weird gender essentialism in this episode. The whole "boys and girls play board games differently" argument was really shaky to me. In my D&D party, the women actually tend to be the ones who prefer roleplaying, and the men typically care more about rules-lawyering and stats. But I've met plenty of men and women with a wide variety of play-styles.

I don't know about that. Stan seemed to know his shit but was going along with Cartman's crap to stay a part of that social group. Besides that it was clearly a bullshit argument to keep the girls out of their group, that backfired on them spectacularly. People follow their clearly dumb and wrong leaders all the time.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I think it was a weird move to end a long series of jokes about trans-women with a call for nuance from a man who essentially assaulted a trans-woman (albeit a real straw caricature of a trans-woman).

I’d like to meet them halfway here, but they’ve handled trans issues incredibly poorly over the years. The guys have evolved substantially on some issues, but I don’t know if this is one of them.

If PC Principal had assaulted them because they were trans, sure, I get your point. But trans-gender folk shouldn't be immune to being called out for being dicks or assholes. PC Principal lightly shoved them purely because they were being an asshole. I don't think that precludes PC Principal being allowed to call for nuance about this particular trans conversation.

I think that was the point of showing the PC Babies not crying. They get that PC Principal wasn't being a transphobe, he was being an asshole-phobe.

ObiFett on
    edited November 2019
    Agreed about the point they were trying to make, but not the point I feel they actually made. There was a single trans character in the episode, and they were a ridiculous asshole caricature designed solely to make PC Principal’s position and actions seem reasonable.

I think the issue they framed this under (trans-women in women’s athletic competitions) is absolutely an area deserving nuanced consideration, and also fraught with potential for offense and miscommunication.

But you don’t start that conversation by framing trans-women solely as entitled aggrieved people using societal recognition as a bludgeon, especially when it’s following on the backs of characters like Mr./Mrs. Garrison, Randy wanting to be a dolphin, Cartman claiming to be trans for personal bathroom benefits, and their portrayal of Caitlyn Jenner (my opinions on actual Jenner set aside, here).

Weirdly I’d say that while PC Principal wasn’t being transphobic, the episode as a whole was. Heather/Savage didn’t face any meaningful oppression or pushback - society bent over backwards to appease her, which is an insane take on the current state of the world. At least with Jenner there’s the element of power and wealth insulating her from the reality of most trans-people, but this episode wasn’t about that, it was about how ridiculous tolerance is when taken to extremes, aimed at one of the most vulnerable groups of people in society.

OneAngryPossum on
    Agreed about the point they were trying to make, but not the point I feel they actually made. There was a single trans character in the episode, and they were a ridiculous asshole caricature designed solely to make PC Principal’s position and actions seem reasonable.

I think the issue they framed this under (trans-women in women’s athletic competitions) is absolutely an area deserving nuanced consideration, and also fraught with potential for offense and miscommunication.

But you don’t start that conversation by framing trans-women solely as entitled aggrieved people using societal recognition as a bludgeon, especially when it’s following on the backs of characters like Mr./Mrs. Garrison, Randy wanting to be a dolphin, Cartman claiming you be trans for personal bathroom benefits, and their portrayal of Caitlyn Jenner (my opinions on actual Jenner set aside, here).

Weirdly I’d say that while PC Principal wasn’t being transphobic, the episode as a whole was. Heather/Savage didn’t face any meaningful oppression or pushback - society bent over backwards to appease her, which is an insane take on the current state of the world. At least with Jenner there’s the element of power and wealth insulating her from the reality of most trans-people, but this episode wasn’t about that, it was about how ridiculous tolerance is when taken to extremes, aimed at one of the most vulnerable groups of people in society.

I dont think episode was framing trans-women in general as being entitled aggrieved people. This particular person was, sure. But there was a second trans person in the show you probably didn't even notice. And they seemed just as unhappy that this asshole existed as everyone else.

While the show portrayed the media and the clearly tolerant PC family as bending over backwards to appease her, they didn't show "society". This was supposed to be a portrayal of tolerant people dealing with someone abusing that tolerance and how that should be handled/discussed. Showing the bigots would have been confusing the issue.

edited November 2019
    ObiFett wrote: »

But you don’t start that conversation by framing trans-women solely as entitled aggrieved people using societal recognition as a bludgeon, especially when it’s following on the backs of characters like Mr./Mrs. Garrison, Randy wanting to be a dolphin, Cartman claiming you be trans for personal bathroom benefits, and their portrayal of Caitlyn Jenner (my opinions on actual Jenner set aside, here).

I dont think episode was framing trans-women in general as being entitled aggrieved people. This particular person was, sure. But there was a second trans person in the show you probably didn't even notice. And they seemed just as unhappy that this asshole existed as everyone else.

While the show portrayed the media and the clearly tolerant PC family as bending over backwards to appease her, they didn't show "society". This was supposed to be a portrayal of tolerant people dealing with someone abusing that tolerance and how that should be handled/discussed. Showing the bigots would have been confusing the issue.

Apparently I did - Do you mean the MMA fighter sitting there during Savage’s interview who said nothing? Because that’s a pretty limp inclusion, if so, and I doubt her presence was meant charitably. If anything Fallon Fox is the likely target of their ire, considering Heather/Savage viciously beating her opponent was used to make a point against trans-women early in the episode. How people handle that is a worthwhile discussion, but not the discussion they had.

That said, I definitely missed that, so I appreciate you pointing it out.

As to how generally this was meant to be interpreted, I’m sure they would argue that it shouldn’t be generalized at all. But this is the issue they chose, the framework they chose to address it in, and the answer they provided. PC Principal became a pariah for openly questioning their straw man, ludicrous portrayal of a transgender person (the latest in a long line stretching across decades).

That’s the story they told, and then they asked for nuance. They didn’t present a story with any nuance, and I don’t think they’ve earned an overly charitable reading.

Edit: Essentially, the story centered around how even their over-the-top “PC” character wasn’t tolerant enough for today’s treatment of trans issues. Things have gone too far even for the extremists!

OneAngryPossum on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    PC Principal became a pariah for openly questioning their straw man

No one treated PC Principal like a pariah even after the shove. PC Principal isolated himself, worried over what the PC Babies might think of him.

emnmnme wrote: »
    PC Principal became a pariah for openly questioning their straw man

No one treated PC Principal like a pariah even after the shove. PC Principal isolated himself, worried over what the PC Babies might think of him.

There was an article in the paper about his “intolerance”, so it wasn’t entirely his choice.

edited November 2019
    ObiFett wrote: »

Apparently I did - Do you mean the MMA fighter sitting there during Savage’s interview who said nothing? Because that’s a pretty limp inclusion, if so, and I doubt her presence was meant charitably. If anything Fallon Fox is the likely target of their ire, considering Heather/Savage viciously beating her opponent was used to make a point against trans-women early in the episode. How people handle that is a worthwhile discussion, but not the discussion they had.

That said, I definitely missed that, so I appreciate you pointing it out.

As to how generally this was meant to be interpreted, I’m sure they would argue that it shouldn’t be generalized at all. But this is the issue they chose, the framework they chose to address it in, and the answer they provided. PC Principal became a pariah for openly questioning their straw man, ludicrous portrayal of a transgender person (the latest in a long line stretching across decades).

That’s the story they told, and then they asked for nuance. They didn’t present a story with any nuance, and I don’t think they’ve earned an overly charitable reading.

Edit: Essentially, the story centered around how even their over-the-top “PC” character wasn’t tolerant enough for today’s treatment of trans issues. Things have gone too far even for the extremists!

I guess I read the episode differently. I'm not saying you're wrong for how you took the show, but I think considering they left out any bigots and the show itself was framed as a "PC Babies" show, I think the intended choir they were preaching to was the PC crowd. Its framed as a show about PC people for PC people. They weren't trying to talk to bigots. They weren't trying to talk to anyone who wasn't generally tolerant. So in that case, they didn't need to try and teach that audience about what the average transgender person is like. The lesson or point of the show isn't tolerance of transgenders, thats an assumed base level way of thinking for their targeted audience in this episode from the get-go.

So from that standpoint, it seems like they were trying to talk to the tolerant crowd about
    - A Plot: What should be done with those who abuse tolerance? Should it be ok to address them and maybe even confront assholes if they are part of a marginalized community? How do you handle being called a -phobe when you do confront those types of people?
    - B Plot: Kicking people out of groups because of their gender is clearly bad, as evidenced by Cartman doing it (this may have been the only real part of the episode meant to speak to bigots). Like clearly don't kick people out of stuff purely because of their gender. BUT. What if we portray girls as being generally smarter or harder working than boys? Is that an ok stereotype? Why or why not? Did you even notice that was being portrayed? How does that compare to generalizing that men are generally stronger than women?

Overall, I got less of an icky anti-trans vibe from this episode than the ones you quoted. I thought it was less about trans-people than it was pointing out that nuance has to exist in our discussion of trans and gender issues in general. Again, mostly speaking to those who are already tolerant.

edit: I guess I'm saying the nuance wasn't supposed to be about transgender acceptance. Its obvious we should accept them. The nuance was about other things. Specifically what I talked about above.

ObiFett on
    I just don't think that "A man could, hypothetically, pretend to be trans just to be an asshole and dunk on his ex" is as nuanced of a take as Matt & Trey seem to think, because AFAIK nothing like that has ever happened in real life. I don't think this episode was anti-trans, I just think it was very muddled and unclear what their actual point was.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The boys/girls boardgame thing I think was intended to be ridiculous and satirize gender essentialism, but they didn't really get there with it.

The bad faith trans athlete strawman is shitty when there's no other trans characters at all given a voice, but the specific events of the episode didn't cross over into transphobia except by omission.

I think it just barely scraped by, but I'd understand disliking it. Like, I don't disagree with their politics here in a meaningful way but I don't think they gave the subject matter the care it deserved. I didn't care for the gag with Heather's penis flopping around either, since the people who would find it most funny are shitbags.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man, girls' board-game club was awesome.

H9f4bVe.png
    That was the best episode of the season, with good A and B plots. And with the subject I think whatever you want to read into the subject is fine because it doesn't really push one way or the other, they were just going more for humor. Could have been a better parody of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla with Strong Woman, and I always love the digs at the PC Babies (something along the lines of "they already made up their minds before anyone said anything"), and no Randy really helped. Even if it's for a week the respite was good.

I wasn't sure if they realized they were doing a parody of Godzilla.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Just watched "one for the ladies".

It's extra funny to me, i guess, since I've struggled with IBS for 16 years now after purging my microbiome with antibiotics, and my doctors still refuse to try the transplant.

steam_sig.png
  • RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    My takeaway from the whole Tom Brady thing is that he's full of shit and everyone apparently wants a piece of it.

Speaking for myself, the Dune references were funny even to someone who isn't familiar with Dune at all. Do all the characters in Dune have such long drawn out inner monologues?

Raiju on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    My takeaway from the whole Tom Brady thing is that he's full of shit and everyone apparently wants a piece of it.

Speaking for myself, the Dune references were funny even to someone who isn't familiar with Dune at all. Do all the characters in Dune have such long drawn out inner monologues?

Yes. The book has a lot of internal monologues, and the movies either go for voice over monologues or try to add secondary characters to turn them into dialogues.

I'm liking these Randy free episodes, and they aren't trying to string a narrative along for multiple episodes. Feels a little more like classic South Park, less like manufactured binge watch dreck.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg