As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    My gut is, right now, telling me Liberal majority driven largely by people afraid of the CPC and ‘coming home’ to vote Liberal.

My brain, and hindbrain, are both telling me CPC minority because that is what I expressly don’t want, so I’m going to assume we get it because then I can deal emotionally with Prime Minister Scheer.

I cannot wait until it’s over. I remember fondly the days I didn’t check CBC and 338 religiously.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    vsove wrote: »
    My gut is, right now, telling me Liberal majority driven largely by people afraid of the CPC and ‘coming home’ to vote Liberal.

My brain, and hindbrain, are both telling me CPC minority because that is what I expressly don’t want, so I’m going to assume we get it because then I can deal emotionally with Prime Minister Scheer.

I cannot wait until it’s over. I remember fondly the days I didn’t check CBC and 338 religiously.

your gut is wrong

I will be dumbfounded if it's not a minority of some sort

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    John Oliver covered the whole outside celebrities endorsing Canadian politicians for the last election, apparently there's a fine that Elections Canada could levy, but they've never done so.

https://youtu.be/0V5ckcTSYu8

Starts around 12:00, along with a Mike Meyers cameo.

steam_sig.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think there's a metric ton of justification for people to feel morally good about voting anti-Liberal. From voter reform failure to the corruption and blackface shit, and stuff in between.

As for what that will actually mean, who knows. Go and vote NDP or Green if it makes you feel good, but realistically if they don't have a chance in the area you live, you're essentially throwing your vote away. And a thrown away vote is often than not a Conservative vote, whether you like it or not.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I think anti-trudeau sentiment causes a liberal minority .

Hardtarget wrote: »

your gut is wrong

I will be dumbfounded if it's not a minority of some sort

It is likely I am just flashing back to the 2012 Alberta election. The Wildrose were polling 2-15 points ahead right up until election night, and then a bunch of people got nervous enough about a Wildrose government that they jumped back and voted PC.

I also think my gut is wrong, and we're in for a minority government. But this really does feel similar.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    Not sure this is really cool, to be honest. I don't think a former US president should be suggesting who people should vote for in Canada (or any other country)

thanks obama

(also it's fine, he's a former president expressing free speech, he can do whatever he wants. if he was in power ehh)

Well of course it's free speech.

Nowhere was I saying he should be prevented from saying what he wants to, I don't think its a responsible thing for him to do. Even though I'd greatly prefer a Liberal government of any sort to a CPC government.

:so_raven:
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Visiting family in rural PEI over Thanksgiving, we got talking about politics. It came out that one of my cousins wasn’t planning on voting, and we all sort of ganged up on him. “Between school and hockey, I don’t have the time!” he said.

His brother pointed out that he has time for video games. One cousin pointed out people in Hong Kong were basically risking their lives for freedoms like this. I started listing out the parties and giving them one line “this is what they’re about.” My grandfather told him to just walk into the booth and vote for the red party, and that the orange party would also be acceptable, but he’d be disowned otherwise.

I appreciate my family.

Your grandpa is a commie?

Liberals are red,
    Conservatives are blue,
    The NDP is orange,
    I voted! Have you?

It's weird for Americans because our leftist party is blue and conservative party is red.

Which happens to be the exact opposite for the rest of the anglosphere.

And it was completely arbitrary! :lol: Thanks American news media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syw-2cBi5v8

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    I had been thinking the Obama endorsement wasn’t worth much but boy howdy the reaction from the right suggests it might actually matter.

Are there really people who weren’t going to vote Liberal who are now thinking ‘well, if Obama likes him...’

I guess it kind of makes sense? I’m just having a hard time imagining that person.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    As usual, Beaverton has the best take on this issue:
    Obama betrays fellow countryman

Speaking of the US... The media finally pointed out that either Scheer lied about the last time he renewed his US passport, or he broke the law; potentially several times.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I had been thinking the Obama endorsement wasn’t worth much but boy howdy the reaction from the right suggests it might actually matter.

Are there really people who weren’t going to vote Liberal who are now thinking ‘well, if Obama likes him...’

I guess it kind of makes sense? I’m just having a hard time imagining that person.

I'm right there with you, I can't imagine how it could sway a single vote. But then again, celebrity endorsements do work, we have a million marketing campaigns that prove it.

sig.gif
    Same here, I don't know anyone who's vote would be changed by this but the talk radio and news is going apeshit.

"Did the liberals pay for this endorsement!!!?!!!"
    "meddling!!"

Etc.

I'm right there with you, I can't imagine how it could sway a single vote. But then again, celebrity endorsements do work, we have a million marketing campaigns that prove it.

I guess being Extremely Online has tainted my perception of how loved Obama is. Most of my circles are very down on him as an ultra centrist war criminal, but I get that isn’t actually the common perception.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Same here, I don't know anyone who's vote would be changed by this but the talk radio and news is going apeshit.

"Did the liberals pay for this endorsement!!!?!!!"
    "meddling!!"

Etc.

Yeah, I’ve seen people suggest he should be fined for election interference, and both Trudeau and Obama are the top trending topics on Twitter right now.

Wild. I have thus far properly guessed the impact of exactly zero events this election, so clearly I have no fucking idea what I’m talking about.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I would bet the largest reaction is people who weren't gonna vote Liberal in the first place not voting Liberal even louder on facebook because Obama said he liked him and Obama must be opposed in all things.

I guess being Extremely Online has tainted my perception of how loved Obama is. Most of my circles are very down on him as an ultra centrist war criminal, but I get that isn’t actually the common perception.

Obama is super popular and with good reason.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I think there's a metric ton of justification for people to feel morally good about voting anti-Liberal. From voter reform failure to the corruption and blackface shit, and stuff in between.

As for what that will actually mean, who knows. Go and vote NDP or Green if it makes you feel good, but realistically if they don't have a chance in the area you live, you're essentially throwing your vote away. And a thrown away vote is often than not a Conservative vote, whether you like it or not.

My exact dilemma.

Normally I would vote strategically. But this time, I can't.

shryke wrote: »

Obama is super popular and with good reason.

I largely travel in very left circles, where the opinion of Obama has soured significantly. But it’s easy to forget that isn’t the average person’s opinion, even among people on the left who just aren’t as Online.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    You know, if this Obama endorsement motivates a few voters and infuriates the right, I'll call that a win-win.

sig.gif
    I don't want an angry conservative. I want a lazy, disillusioned, leaning ppc, scheer sucks let's go hunting, conservative.

Angry racists organize.

I really like Obama but I wish he'd stayed out of it. Maybe someone will be motivated to vote but maybe it'll be people with harmful viewpoints.

I'd rather those folks just stay home to be honest.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I don't want an angry conservative. I want a lazy, disillusioned, leaning ppc, scheer sucks let's go hunting, conservative.

Angry racists organize.

I really like Obama but I wish he'd stayed out of it. Maybe someone will be motivated to vote but maybe it'll be people with harmful viewpoints.

I'd rather those folks just stay home to be honest.

The Angry Racists were already voting.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I don't think Obama weighing in sets a very good precedent and I don't look forward to having the shoe on the other foot down the line

Also don't like the idea of American Presidents giving their blessings to our PMs

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I feel like the largest actual impact from the Obama endorsement will be on people who were learning Liberal, but likely to stay home. A lot of people really like Obama, and I could see this getting a few of those otherwise non-voters to the polls.
    As has been said, the people most up in arms about this were already voting for not-Trudeau.

I'm not sure how I feel about this in the larger context, but I do think Obama will have thought over the optics, and the pros and cons, before weighing in like this, and didn't make the decision lightly.

TubularLuggage on
    Honestly, the right has been organizing pan-nationally for a long time now. The Left is shitting the bed on that front.

I will say, anecdotal, but I've been a bit encouraged by a shift in sentiment among less enthusiastic electors around here. A lot of people who likely would have stayed home in past years, who instead are openly talking about how it's important, even if they aren't excited by any of the options, many of whom seem to be making an effort to cast a somewhat informed vote.
    Admittedly, I think part of why it's encouraging is that it's often accompanied by shrugging support for the Liberals, or a comment about not liking Scheer.

Obviously deeper engagement is usually preferable, and this is purely anecdotal, but it does feel different than past elections in that sense.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Honestly, the right has been organizing pan-nationally for a long time now. The Left is shitting the bed on that front.

This is especially frustrating given that they were 4 Internationales. They even made a song.

The right wing success at convincing people they have more in common with those living a completely different life than with those facing the same struggle, just because they reside in the same arbitrary lines as the first group, remains one of their greatest victory.
    It even worked on some idiots like Corbyn.

And with 4 days to go, the CPC seems to have slowed down their fall, while the LPC has not. This is starting to give the CPC an edge nearing the margin of error. This is not good.

sig.gif
    And with 4 days to go, the CPC seems to have slowed down their fall, while the LPC has not. This is starting to give the CPC an edge nearing the margin of error. This is not good.

If you go to the specific polls, I’m actually seeing something different. There’s an Angus Reid poll that’s pulling down the Liberal numbers a fair bit - but even that one has the Liberals polling the same as they did a week ago, while the Cons are down a point. Every other poll from yesterday has the Liberals ahead again.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Visiting family in rural PEI over Thanksgiving, we got talking about politics. It came out that one of my cousins wasn’t planning on voting, and we all sort of ganged up on him. “Between school and hockey, I don’t have the time!” he said.

His brother pointed out that he has time for video games. One cousin pointed out people in Hong Kong were basically risking their lives for freedoms like this. I started listing out the parties and giving them one line “this is what they’re about.” My grandfather told him to just walk into the booth and vote for the red party, and that the orange party would also be acceptable, but he’d be disowned otherwise.

I appreciate my family.

Your grandpa is a commie?

Liberals are red,
    Conservatives are blue,
    The NDP is orange,
    I voted! Have you?

I did, and the commies were at the bottom of the ballot and they're red as well.

I did see that local american doesn't understand parliament system.

Nosf on
    It's also worth noting, a lot of people have already voted;
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/advance-poll-turnout-surges-1.5321915

We'll see what impact this has on overall turnout, but early voting was up about 29% from four years ago, with over 4.7 million votes already cast. That's more than 26.7% of 2015's final turnout number.
    It's impossible to say exactly what this means in the end, but at least for now I choose to see it as encouraging.

edited October 2019
    It's pretty fucking disheartening to read each time that a third of the country didn't bother to make it out and vote.

Nosf on
    I will say, I do like that some outlets have actually been putting effort into explaining minority governments and coalitions and such to the general public. It's certainly the case that a lot of people who don't follow politics as closely as we do don't quite have a handle on some of this. It's nice to have sources out there informing people that there are a number of valid options out there, that coalitions are a viable option and not undemocratic or unconstitutional like the Cons say, and that it's more complicated than just which one party has the biggest numbers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-votes-2019-minority-government-coalition-1.5323836

It's only undemocratic or unconstitutional if it doesn't work for them.

We'll see what impact this has on overall turnout, but early voting was up about 29% from four years ago, with over 4.7 million votes already cast. That's more than 26.7% of 2015's final turnout number.
    It's impossible to say exactly what this means in the end, but at least for now I choose to see it as encouraging.

High turnout numbers are usually bad news for conservatives.

sig.gif
    It's pretty fucking disheartening to read each time that a third of the country didn't bother to make it out and vote.

I mean, I’m voting because I always do, but the Con in my riding is polling at 73%. My vote for the NDP will literally mean nothing in the grand scheme.

Now if we had PR, that’d be a different story altogether.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

High turnout numbers are usually bad news for conservatives.

That being said, it's important not to confuse high turnout with high early turnout. A not-insignificant portion of that could be people who voted last time getting it done earlier, rather than implying higher enthusiasm, etc.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

I mean, I’m voting because I always do, but the Con in my riding is polling at 73%. My vote for the NDP will literally mean nothing in the grand scheme.

Now if we had PR, that’d be a different story altogether.

There are definitely issues with voting that are endemic- family pressuring other family members to vote, disinformation, fraud etc.

But at least half the issues are just the shitty system we continue to use.

I'm disappointed the Liberals didn't change the system when they had a chance, but they tried to build a consensus and found that there was no consensus, and chose not to just implement whatever favoured them most... which I can't really argue with. What we need is leadership on the issue to get rid of the FPTP stupidity we have into something the majority of Canadians can agree on... I just don't see that in any of the parties' platforms.

Maybe hold a FPTP referrendum, where whatever system has the most votes wins, even if it's like 20%...?

• breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    I hate how the conservatives ramp up the rhetoric over the party with the most seats makes a government. IT's not our system, there's nothing about a single elected party to rule them all. But it gains traction because it seems like common sense, vilifies coalition, even though that is more representative of the voting populace.
    I wish I knew where it came from, the PCs in NB used it over and over again after the provincial election.
    so frustrating that they are able to influence and change the rules to their liking, with little to no basis.
    scheer-modern-canadian-convention-

I hate how the conservatives ramp up the rhetoric over the party with the most seats makes a government. IT's not our system, there's nothing about a single elected party to rule them all. But it gains traction because it seems like common sense, vilifies coalition, even though that is more representative of the voting populace.
    I wish I knew where it came from, the PCs in NB used it over and over again after the provincial election.
    so frustrating that they are able to influence and change the rules to their liking, with little to no basis.
    scheer-modern-canadian-convention-

it comes from consuming 50 years of american media and a declining interest in how our system of government works.
    People literally believe you elect the PM and there was even an example in this thread where someone in another riding was looking for Trudeau's name.

I wish I knew what it would take to fix it. All I can do is educate my kids and encourage them to vote.
    I bring them both to the polls so they can see us do it and can ask questions.

It feels a bit hopeless sometimes.

Watching the CBC poll tracker is a form of masochism.

Now 60/40 probability of a Liberal win, with chances of a Liberal majority at 11% and a Con majority down to 2%.

Which once again means - who the fuck knows what’s going to happen.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
This discussion has been closed.