As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movie] Thread brought to you by Ang Lee in 120 FPS

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
There's a huge and hilarious OP here but you have to have special equipment to see it.

Sorry

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    48 fps or I feed

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    From the last thread
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Robert Eggers' next film is, indeed, The Northman. Alexander Skarsgaard approached Eggers with the initial idea, and will produce
    A grounded story set in Iceland at the turn of the 10th century, centering on a Nordic prince (Alex) who seeks revenge for the death of his dad (Bill Skarsgaard is in talks to join the film for this role)
    If talks progress and deals are made, Nicole Kidman will play the mom
    Talks are at various stages with Willem Dafoe and Anya Taylor-Joy to join the cast as well

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    i'll fuckin watch it

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Grounded, 10th century, Iceland = this is gonna be one chilly grim motherfucker, probably.
    Hell yeah I'll watch it.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wait, is this live-action Vinland Saga?

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Out of some strange twist of fate The Lighthouse is showing at my local theater. I am shook.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ugh whatever it was the last thread but my point was that the scene in Midsommar is a rape scene, not an "awkward sex scene" and framing it that way is very gross.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Ugh whatever it was the last thread but my point was that the scene in Midsommar is a rape scene, not an "awkward sex scene" and framing it that way is very gross.
    I don't agree it's that black and white.
    He shows up there to have sex
    He feels conflicted about it, and they hand him some drugs to loosen up
    He says yolo and chugs it and goes to have sex
    Although it's certainly fraught. And before anyone gets really mad at me I went to the bathroom a few times during the movie so maybe I missed something

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

You know what? You're right it is. I didn't really think about it because it's not so overt but it definitely is not consenting.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Although it's certainly fraught. And before anyone gets really mad at me I went to the bathroom a few times during the movie so maybe I missed something

I think he goes there for sex but when they drug him they take away his ability to consent.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I would have to rewatch the movie (which I do not want to do) to really get into it, but Midsommar stuff:
    First off, the whole situation is super coercive. I mean, we're talking about an environment where the cult controls all access - if Christian refuses to have sex, it's not like he can just catch a cab and go back to Stockholm. Their village is their rules, and he's already seen them kill people in accordance with those rules, so who is to say how severe the punishment could be for refusal.

Second, I definitely did not see him taking the drugs as willingly as you did. Partially because of the whole situation - he was handed a drug cocktail, not knowing exactly what was in it, and expected to consume it. Even if he is drinking it willingly, he doesn't know what's in it or what they are intending for him going forward - he might think that this is the same garden variety hallucinogens as earlier in the movie, which it does not seem to be.

Finally, he had what I took to be some clear reticence during the scene itself, at which point he was physically forced by one of the women to continue the act.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    HBO Max has acquired the streaming rights for all of Studio Ghibli's films

CYpGAPn.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Welp, +1 subscription for me

Blankzilla wrote: »

I was already getting it but this just means I'm getting it more.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

I would have to rewatch the movie (which I do not want to do) to really get into it, but Midsommar stuff:
    First off, the whole situation is super coercive. I mean, we're talking about an environment where the cult controls all access - if Christian refuses to have sex, it's not like he can just catch a cab and go back to Stockholm. Their village is their rules, and he's already seen them kill people in accordance with those rules, so who is to say how severe the punishment could be for refusal.

Second, I definitely did not see him taking the drugs as willingly as you did. Partially because of the whole situation - he was handed a drug cocktail, not knowing exactly what was in it, and expected to consume it. Even if he is drinking it willingly, he doesn't know what's in it or what they are intending for him going forward - he might think that this is the same garden variety hallucinogens as earlier in the movie, which it does not seem to be.

Finally, he had what I took to be some clear reticence during the scene itself, at which point he was physically forced by one of the women to continue the act.
    if i am remembering the order of events right it's:

drug cocktail
    then dinner
    then being lured to the barn after things have kicked in

he had already lost the ability to consent before he even decided to have sex

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

That's kind of hilarious considering that news item going around just a couple days ago saying Ghibli didn't think they'd ever put their movies on a streaming service.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Yeah those are good points. That makes me not really like the movie even more. Ugh

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

That's kind of hilarious considering that news item going around just a couple days ago saying Ghibli didn't think they'd ever put their movies on a streaming service.
    Either they are just incredible trolls or WB offered a truly outrageous amount of money

CYpGAPn.png
    edited October 2019

that is legitimately stunning

and this article was horrendously timed

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
    Yeah those are good points. That makes me not really like the movie even more. Ugh

Yeah I loved Hereditary but I am pretty dang tepid on Midsommar

Ari Aster's next movie is going to be a biiiig question for me

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

Looks like they took it down

I think he goes there for sex but when they drug him they take away his ability to consent.

In the director's cut he allegedly has a lot more agency in that decision and even makes his own advances towards her earlier in the film.
    The director's cut also apparently makes it much more clear that he and Florence Pugh's character are in an absolutely toxic relationship with him being blatantly emotionally abusive to her. Not that that makes it better but it does change the dynamic enough to be of note imo.

Bucketman wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »

Looks like they took it down

Nah i just screwed up the link

aGPmIBD.jpg
    edited October 2019
    Midsommar
    It sounds like the director's cut might have been a better film, because I did not come away from Midsommar feeling at all good about Florence Pugh's character

She wasn't as bad as the rest of them, but her relationship with Christian and the way that she treated him felt fucked up to me

And especially as a movie that the director has straight said represented a break up of his own, this threw some flags in the air for me

Straightzi on
    Really? That's interesting.
    I identified pretty strongly with her character. I do think she was a bit of an enabler but ultimately feel that she was victimized more than anybody else in the film via her sister, boyfriend/his friends.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I assume they backed a gigantic dump truck full of money to studio ghibli

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I identified pretty strongly with her character. I do think she was a bit of an enabler but ultimately feel that she was victimized more than anybody else in the film via her sister, boyfriend/his friends.

I think that is the standard/desired effect. And I could see how the movie would be a very different experience for you if that were the case.

My partner and I were leaning over to each other and talking about what a piece of work she was from the very beginning.

i walked out of midsommar feeling pretty positively about it, but the more i let it marinate, the more i've come to dislike it

like i've said before, seeing interviews with the guy definitely didn't help things, but i get that portion's more on me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

edited October 2019

hmmm.
    The rape was one of those things that to me actually added considerable depth when I thought about the movie afterwards, much like the multifaceted racism. Swap out Christian's role for a woman and it's obviously a hideous violation of consent. So the fact that people read the scene as 'awkward sex' is, to me, an interesting reflection on how our society thinks about power, sex, and consent.
    Now I don't wanna project any of that onto Aster unless he's explicitly stated that's what he was going for, but regardless of intention, I find it another fascinating thread to pull on when I think about Midsommar as a whole.

That kind of framework analysis is an element of the meta-aspect of movies that I find enjoyable above and beyond what's actually on screen, which in turn influences how I feel about the experience of seeing them. It's possible I loved Midsommar in part because of all the problematic elements, because it gave me something really meaty to chew over later.

tynic on
    oh hey loving movies because of their flaws

can't relate

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I think that is the standard/desired effect. And I could see how the movie would be a very different experience for you if that were the case.

My partner and I were leaning over to each other and talking about what a piece of work she was from the very beginning.

I think perception of her character is something that's gonna be heavily influenced by the baggage you bring to the movie. FWIW I thought she was extremely sympathetic and while it was a toxic relationship with heavy codependence on her end that both of them should have ended long ago, even in the cut I saw it was obvious Christian was a gaslighting abusive piece of shit.

i walked out of midsommar feeling pretty positively about it, but the more i let it marinate, the more i've come to dislike it

like i've said before, seeing interviews with the guy definitely didn't help things, but i get that portion's more on me

I definitely really liked it and still feel strongly that it's a great movie but have almost no desire to ever see it again.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

can't relate

what's a movie

Shorty wrote: »

can't relate

what's a movie

a podcast with pictures

6vjsgrerts6r.png

can't relate

what's a movie

a podcast with pictures

no, no, that's a powerpoint.

edited October 2019
    tynic wrote: »

I think perception of her character is something that's gonna be heavily influenced by the baggage you bring to the movie. FWIW I thought she was extremely sympathetic and while it was a toxic relationship with heavy codependence on her end that both of them should have ended long ago, even in the cut I saw it was obvious Christian was a gaslighting abusive piece of shit.

Midsommar
    Yeah I saw Dani and Christian as deeply codependent people who were essentially doing the same thing to one another in slightly different ways, only for one to be framed as the film's hero and the other as its greatest monster.

Which I think could be an interesting tack to take with a movie if it was done with that intentional end, but Midsommar did not feel like that movie.

Straightzi on
    edited October 2019

hmmm.
    The rape was one of those things that to me actually added considerable depth when I thought about the movie afterwards, much like the multifaceted racism. Swap out Christian's role for a woman and it's obviously a hideous violation of consent. So the fact that people read the scene as 'awkward sex' is, to me, an interesting reflection on how our society thinks about power, sex, and consent.
    Now I don't wanna project any of that onto Aster unless he's explicitly stated that's what he was going for, but regardless of intention, I find it another fascinating thread to pull on when I think about Midsommar as a whole.

That kind of framework analysis is an element of the meta-aspect of movies that I find enjoyable above and beyond what's actually on screen, which in turn influences how I feel about the experience of seeing them. It's possible I loved Midsommar in part because of all the problematic elements, because it gave me something really meaty to chew over later.

I think it's an interesting conversation to have and also I know it is a conversation I have felt like I have had to have a lot of times since the movie came out. So some of my distaste for it at this point is absolutely a form of weariness.

Straightzi on

can't relate

what's a movie

a podcast with pictures

no, no, that's a powerpoint.

no a powerpoint is a nickelodeon on the computer

6vjsgrerts6r.png

edited October 2019
    On a personal level, I can relate to the idea that having parents die and close family go through severe mental health issues is gonna make you cling onto whatever support structures you have, even when it's clearly not healthy. So that was the framework I was coming from wrt Dani's emotional state.
    Basically the film managed to hit a lot of personal buttons for me, which is definitely not gonna be representative for everyone.

tynic on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Movies? Like the ones I got rootin' around in this here pen?

This discussion has been closed.