As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [Phalla] draws near! Day 8▶Boing!

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Thankyou @38thDoe
    Pleas run more and don’t forget to ping me so I can sign up!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I really didn't want to voice my suspicion of Egos but I would have had I lived one more day. The host calling for emergency replacements in the main phalla thread made me metagame Egos was likely Mafia or a special.

It just feels crappy to go after a replacement for no fault of their own.

I was wrong about Mama, but otherwise had really good mafia radar.

Never ever trust an outed survival neutral. If they are willing to tell you their win con, consider it. But outed survival neutrals are just another mafia since the mafia can leverage them all game. Plus, as this game shows, mafia often hide behind it when they get cornered.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Heh. So I voted for all 3 of the mafia in the first 3 days! 8-)

If it werent for my inactivity I might have been able to do more... sorry guys!

I guess there’s a reason I haven’t Phallq’d in forever... being a parent working full time is just too much background noise :(

Thanks for running, @38thDoe !

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Heh. So I voted for all 3 of the mafia in the first 3 days! 8-)

If it werent for my inactivity I might have been able to do more... sorry guys!

I guess there’s a reason I haven’t Phallq’d in forever... being a parent working full time is just too much background noise :(

Thanks for running, 38thDoe !

Yeah, I did most of my Phalla-ing this game in the hour before lunch at work :P
    Assuran wrote: »
    I really didn't want to voice my suspicion of Egos but I would have had I lived one more day. The host calling for emergency replacements in the main phalla thread made me metagame Egos was likely Mafia or a special.

I was wrong about Mama, but otherwise had really good mafia radar.

Never ever trust an outed survival neutral. If they are willing to tell you their win con, consider it. But outed survival neutrals are just another mafia since the mafia can leverage them all game. Plus, as this game shows, mafia often hide behind it when they get cornered.

I don't understand. I survival neutral was willing to tell you their win con.... "survive"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    http://dragonbutts.proboards.com/

I think I unlocked it. Trying to find the correct settings is tough.

So yeah this was kind of an unhill battle for us imo.

We only had 4 members. But we had a conversion ability! But the conversion had to be voluntary I think. But that didn't matter because Paku took it and got voted out day 1 :rotate:

I could survive one hit, Green could Cripple people, And Jpants had some spells. None of us could use items though. And we could guard one location per mafia member.

I think we would have done better if we didnt end up in the voting crosshairs so early but thems the breaks. Village played super well. GG guys.

From the mafia boards
    38th wrote:
    Green tried to cripple Egos but fell in love with Egos instead. Green will die if Egos Dies.

Yeah OK that's hilarious

Steam profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    @Bedlam and @MrPaku
    To set things straight, the vote count got me looking at Bedlam to start with, but then -every- Bedlam post rubbed me the wrong way when reviewing.
    Everyone else on the list seemed fine, and if Bedlam had not seemed suspect in review, I would've dropped the list entirely, after cooling off Sir Fab late day 2

So yeah, a lot of those reasons were minor; pushing me, voting Aura after day 1, being on the list, not exploring with the rest of the village/getting the result of day 1 wrong in thread, stating we needed to stack up.
    But it was just the quantity of being on the wrong side of multiple things that made me suspect that it was deliberate foul play.

discrider on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

So in this instance it wouldn't have mattered what I got.
    I didn't really read my role or have an understanding of the questing game when I called for a replacement.
    That was when I realized I had signed up for phalla and was getting a bunch of posts from the bookmarked thread.
    I'm embarrassed I couldn't participate, but happy Egos got a good game out of it!

VayBJ4e.png
    mrpaku wrote: »
    For the curious, my "super mysterious vote tally" was due to writing it sideways across a receipt with a broken crayon while getting attacked by a toddler in the brief time I had in between driving chores. I was on cold medicine and I honestly couldn't even remember who besides JPants was on my own team when I wrote it. By the time I got back to my phone and realized I'd put myself in the only real crosshairs there were, that was pretty much it. Proud of team bad guys for nearly pulling it off despite my immediately handicapping them

Reading the kids thread and clearly I had it backwards.
    You want other people to have kids to win at phalla, cute photos avoiding day 1s aside.

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    I would have liked to have helped someone explore a dark place. Alas, killed before I could cast Radiant on someone who could actually use it. At least the two people I did cast Radiant on were actually villagers. And at least one of my suspicions turned out to be correct, which is a vast improvement over my usual 0% of suspicions turning out to be correct.

Thanks for running the game @38thDoe !

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    38thDoe

What was the form in the darkness that killed me?

(nevermind, found it in the orders).

Assuran on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Thanks for running 38th and i gotta say good job on nearly pulling it out fellow mafia! I think that might be the worst luck i've ever seen starting out as mafia: 4/26 players, Lose our one time convert (target has option to accept or reject) to a Day 1, getting lovered by the first target of another. Rough start! I think without that we wouldn't have had to play so fast and loose and would have had a much better shot. But that's Phalla!

Apologies to @MamaWolf and @Romantic Undead and anyone else i might have bothered with my attempts to stay alive. For the most part I will stand by whatever logic i used to defend myself (Even as mafia I try to argue as I would as a villager) but I might have gotten a little excited during some of the exchanges.

I hope 38th is able to post some design docs/thoughts later... I'd love to see all the mechanics at play here.

@Egos did you have a kill? I only saw 1 or 2 kills we couldn't ID so I wasn't sure if you were SK or village special until the very end (about when Bedlam died I internally called the game as Host Victory or SK victory depending on which you were).

Locus wrote: »
    I would have liked to have helped someone explore a dark place. Alas, killed before I could cast Radiant on someone who could actually use it. At least the two people I did cast Radiant on were actually villagers. And at least one of my suspicions turned out to be correct, which is a vast improvement over my usual 0% of suspicions turning out to be correct.

Gizzy telling me you cast a spell on her that let her explore is the reason you got whacked that very night.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    What was all that falling off of bridges business? People trying to explore Charlock without a Rainbow Drop?

edited October 2019

Your radiance helped get me an item that gave me +1 vote manip as a passive ability (so crippling me didn’t affect me, I still had vote manip)

There were a couple of times it came realllly close to a tie because of that.

Gizzy on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »

Gizzy telling me you cast a spell on her that let her explore is the reason you got whacked that very night.

Aaaaaah! Too much trust! That's the tricky part about soft networks! More info is, in general, better for the village, but you gotta be real careful how you share that information.

For example, saying "I have just learned that there is <mechanic x>" still conveys information without exposing anyone, but saying "so and so used <mechanic x> on me" is exposing both yourself (if the mechanic was helpful) and so-and-so as threats to the mafia.

Oh, and another note I'd like to make about being a villager (*gets on his soapbox*).

I understand why people think being assigned a villager role is boring, but I disagree! Being a villager is freeing!

Remember, Phalla isn't about surviving to the end, it's about helping your faction win! When you're a villager, your role is to play interference and distract the mafia from taking out your specials. That was my goal on day one! If I make a spectacle of myself and wave my arms around going "look at me everyone!" I'm keeping the Mafia's eyes off of our specials! That said, there is a danger: If I annoy the village and it votes me out, then I have failed and made myself too much of a spectacle to the point of making myself look suspicious, but if I get the mafia to kill me, that's a win! The mafia will kill someone every night. Every night they kill a vanillager is a night they're NOT killing a special, which gives the seer another day to network, the vig to kill a mafia, or the guard to find out who they need to protect!

To sum up: if you're a villager, your goal is to get yourself killed by the mafia (or SK, if there is one)! If you managed to do that, then you are a good vanillager!

I mean, I suppose an argument can be made that a barely-active vanillager can also serve as chaff for the mafia, but that's boring and, in my opinion, unsportsmanlike. If you only play Phalla in the hopes you'll get a special role and check out as soon as you don't, that's a lame and selfish reason to play. It's a team game, folks! If the village had won this game (and we almost did!), then that would have been a win for me, even if I died! (*gets off the soapbox*)

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    edited October 2019

Nope he was dead before I told you - thus I saw no harm in sharing. I would not have shared his name if he was still alive.

Gizzy on
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Thankyou @38thDoe

Your radiance helped get me an item that gave me +1 vote manip as a passive ability (so crippling me didn’t affect me, I still had vote manip)

If I hadn't have moved off of Auralynx the day I died there would have been a tie that took out me AND GREEN!!

Aaaaaah! Too much trust! That's the tricky part about soft networks! More info is, in general, better for the village, but you gotta be real careful how you share that information.

For example, saying "I have just learned that there is <mechanic x>" still conveys information without exposing anyone, but saying "so and so used <mechanic x> on me" is exposing both yourself (if the mechanic was helpful) and so-and-so as threats to the mafia.

Maybe I shouldn’t have shared his name - but he was already dead when I shared it. I was not the cause of Locus death.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

Oh, and another note I'd like to make about being a villager (*gets on his soapbox*).

I understand why people think being assigned a villager role is boring, but I disagree! Being a villager is freeing!

Remember, Phalla isn't about surviving to the end, it's about helping your faction win! When you're a villager, your role is to play interference and distract the mafia from taking out your specials. That was my goal on day one! If I make a spectacle of myself and wave my arms around going "look at me everyone!" I'm keeping the Mafia's eyes off of our specials! That said, there is a danger: If I annoy the village and it votes me out, then I have failed and made myself too much of a spectacle to the point of making myself look suspicious, but if I get the mafia to kill me, that's a win! The mafia will kill someone every night. Every night they kill a vanillager is a night they're NOT killing a special, which gives the seer another day to network, the vig to kill a mafia, or the guard to find out who they need to protect!

To sum up: if you're a villager, your goal is to get yourself killed by the mafia (or SK, if there is one)! If you managed to do that, then you are a good vanillager!

I mean, I suppose an argument can be made that a barely-active vanillager can also serve as chaff for the mafia, but that's boring and, in my opinion, unsportsmanlike. If you only play Phalla in the hopes you'll get a special role and check out as soon as you don't, that's a lame and selfish reason to play. It's a team game, folks! If the village had won this game (and we almost did!), then that would have been a win for me, even if I died! (*gets off the soapbox*)

Hurray! I was the most successful villager!

@mrpaku shall I assume the day one was revenge for last game? Thought it was weird you didn't grudge vote me.

HA! There was vote manip! That justifies like, half my votes this game :P

Steam profile

Nope he was dead before I told you - thus I saw no harm in sharing. I would not have shared his name if he was still alive.
    Yeah, mafia proboards said I died because I was suspicious of Green. Nice try deflecting my future grudge vote onto Gizzy, but I will remember this JPants!!! :P

(I will probably not remember this.)

Maybe I shouldn’t have shared his name - but he was already dead when I shared it. I was not the cause of Locus death.

Sorry, you are correct and my brain she is not so good. Locus got hit for being on Green's tail, the next day you told me that and i remember thinking how lucky that worked out that way.

edited October 2019
    Thankyou @38thDoe

If I hadn't have moved off of Auralynx the day I died there would have been a tie that took out me AND GREEN!!

Actually you and bedlam - too bad, too bad

Gizzy on
    Wow, ok. i am just being wrong left and right here. Ignore all the specifics I spout as they are likely wrong!

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »

@mrpaku shall I assume the day one was revenge for last game? Thought it was weird you didn't grudge vote me.

That decision got made by my team before I'd even properly accessed the bad guy forum, I think. My only real contribution to this game was to jump on what seemed like the weakest role when it became apparent I was a dead man, and try not to take anyone with me

Also, I agree with Romantic about the fun and utility potential of villagers, but *man* does it get frustrating attempting to be an active villager and feeling like you're intentionally painting a big red target on yourself. I was actually really looking forward to this game to get a fresh perspective on how the other side operates, and learning how not to be suspicious as a bad guy (apparently, I am just naturally always suspicious)

That decision got made by my team before I'd even properly accessed the bad guy forum, I think. My only real contribution to this game was to jump on what seemed like the weakest role when it became apparent I was a dead man, and try not to take anyone with me

Also, I agree with Romantic about the fun and utility potential of villagers, but *man* does it get frustrating attempting to be an active villager and feeling like you're intentionally painting a big red target on yourself. I was actually really looking forward to this game to get a fresh perspective on how the other side operates, and learning how not to be suspicious as a bad guy (apparently, I am just naturally always suspicious)

Day 1's are hard cause you don't actually have to be suspicious to get the spotlight on you. And most people know that Day 1 isn't really based off much, so they're fine hoping on to any wagon pretty much.

I think Day 1 is the most dangerous day for non-village for that reason. Also for discrider and, when they played, grunt's ghost.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    What was all that falling off of bridges business? People trying to explore Charlock without a Rainbow Drop?

I wasn’t traveling the day I did that because I was inactive and missed the vote/orders that day.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    Also apologies to the village , I actually agreed with a lot of @Assuran ‘s logic hah . Zombie Hero was the only intentional villager kill, and that was meant more to even the field after Paku got offed so earlier

You very likely saved me either $5 for DQ1 on switch or $60 for the most recent DQ on switch. It was sorely tempted for awhile and that temptation was removed after i was eliminated so early.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Also apologies to the village , I actually agreed with a lot of Assuran ‘s logic hah . Zombie Hero was the only intentional villager kill, and that was meant more to even the field after Paku got offed so earlier

You very likely saved me either $5 for DQ1 on switch or $60 for the most recent DQ on switch. It was sorely tempted for awhile and that temptation was removed after i was eliminated so early.

I don't think DQ1 holds up, but DQ4 should still be pretty good. Most DQ games get grindy as you approach the endgame, in my limited experience and faltering memory.

Also the story of most DQ games is not great. The early parts of DQ7 were interesting, but the endgame got pretty bad as I recall (not helped by the grind kicking in)

Last DQ I played was 8, don't know if they've gotten better since then. I downloaded the demo for 11-S, haven't gotten around to it yet though.

I have never been Day 1'd

Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    I have never been Day 1'd

You just need to be less trustworthy then :rotate:

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

You should know by now that I'd do the same thing for any role. I put a decent amount of time and work into these and hate having inactivus decide a game. I was calling for more replacements in the main thread because we were down to one replacement and I was staring at 5+ inactives at that time.

That was Egos' making people kill themselves. Exploration never even injured anyone. More on that later.

So the theory is that if everyone is a talkative villager trying to organize, the mafia can't kill you all and the village gets organized. If you are the only one then the village still benefits from the organization but you probably die if the mafia doesn't have anyone else obvious to kill.
    Also apologies to the village , I actually agreed with a lot of Assuran ‘s logic hah . Zombie Hero was the only intentional villager kill, and that was meant more to even the field after Paku got offed so earlier

I don't think DQ1 holds up, but DQ4 should still be pretty good. Most DQ games get grindy as you approach the endgame, in my limited experience and faltering memory.

Also the story of most DQ games is not great. The early parts of DQ7 were interesting, but the endgame got pretty bad as I recall (not helped by the grind kicking in)

Last DQ I played was 8, don't know if they've gotten better since then. I downloaded the demo for 11-S, haven't gotten around to it yet though.

DQ1 is from a different era, where you had to enter a command to move up or down stairs because what if you just walked on the stairs for fun? 2 is really hard. 3 is fun as I recall. 4 is really well done. I haven't played any others excepting Rocket Slime and the pokemon analogue Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Having recently (by recently I mean within the past 5 years) re-played the first four Dragon Quest games, I'll concur that the original Dragon Quest does not hold up at all. Dragon Quest IV remains fun.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @38THDoe Thanks for hosting, it was fun playing again, and this was a neat game. Kept me guessing until the end. The mechanics for the Princess were particularly clever.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Could more than person have fallen in love with Egos?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Nope. I’ll post host notes tomorrow afternoon I hope. This week has been crazy at work and at home. Apologies for the delay.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Host Notes:

Well Hopefully better late than never. This game came from wanting to do something a bit more complex but I was unsure of how many people we could get. More on that at the end. I wanted to do an exploration mini game but didn't want the mafia to steal the items, so I let them try and spread out and guard items. Mafia knew which items were taken so they could bluff that either they were stopped from exploring or that they had acquired any item that was out. I'm not sure it was as fun as exploring though, maybe I'll try a system where both sides can explore. Spam filter speed and lack of a coherent spreadsheet for exploration results really slowed me down on the earlier nights when everyone was alive and needed a response each night.

Roles for this game:
    You are...

The Dragon Lord and Associates

So for 16 generations this one family has ruled the known world. It's a bit much really. Fortunately you now have the hordes of monsters Casus Belli, and that is really all it takes. You’ve sent your top men to recover the Ball of Light. You aren’t quite sure how it works, but it is supposed to banish monsters. Now that their super weapon is out of play, it's just a matter of culling their numbers until they go along with a change in the local ruling class. And then monsters and humans will enjoy a golden age together. Probably. Monsters have to eat of course.

You have the following abilities:

Group Kill - Pick one target to be removed from the game.

Guard - You may each pick one area to guard. This will prevent heroes from acquiring items from the areas you guard. Additionally, if the number of heroes in an area is much less than the number of monsters in an area one of the heroes could be injured or even killed. The areas are: Charlock Castle, North Cave, Rimildar, Swamp Cave, Mountain Cave, The Grave, Hauksness.

Here are the roles, let me know who is taking each one. See the OP for the default role.

Dragon Lord: You are the man with the plan. The leader of the monsters.

Ability: (one time) Split the world in half - Your target will get a choice to join your side.

Red Dragon: You are the most powerful of all the dragons.

Ability: Cripple - You may maul a hero so viciously that they will be unable to use items for the rest of the game.

Wizard: You like to say you are the brains of the bunch, at least when the Dragon Lord can’t hear you.

Abilities: One per Night
    Sleep - You may stop someone from acting tonight.
    Stopspell - Prevent a target from casting a spell for two days.
    Hurt - Severly injure someone preventing them from exploring.

Demon Knight: You have fought for longer than any other creature. Your bones have finally decayed to dust, leaving only your malevolent shadow.

Ability:
    Passive (one time) you will dodge the first ability sent your way.

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to your rule and outnumber the villagers.

You are...

King Lorik XVI

You are the King of Castle Tantagel. You like to sit around in your throne room and command others to do things. You are so good at it, you have one of the fanciest hats in the world.

Abilities: Crown - +1 Vote You may trade this item away, but then you wouldn’t be a king now would you?

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to the village.

You are...

Princess Gwaelin

Your father is King of the known world, but he refuses to name you as heir to the throne due to your gender. Then the Dragon Lord had the audacity to kidnap you and lock you in a cave. You’ve decided that perhaps you would be the only good ruler in the world. You have an amazing ability to force people to do what you want, and you are so beautiful that people should fall in line. As soon as you take out enough people to show them the consequences.

Abilities:

Gwaelin’s love (passive) - The first person to target you will fall in love with you and will die if you are killed.

But Thou Must - Command a target to kill themselves.

Win condition: Eliminate everyone except you and your lover.

You are...

Pretender

Yup, you aren’t an heir to some ancient hero. You are just another unemployed pretender hoping to fake it until you make it.

Ability:
    Explore - You may travel to and explore an area. The trip will not be easy. You will be risking injury or even death to have the chance to obtain an item. The areas are: North Cave, Charlock Castle, Rimildar, Swamp Cave, Mountain Cave, The Grave, Hauksness. Some areas will require certain spells or items to successfully explore.

Additionally, one pretender started with: Heal, Hurt, Stopspell, Radiant, and Sleep. All spells as above in the Wizard section, however a hurt mafia would be unable to use their power or guard. Radiant could self-target and provided torchlight for two nights on the target. The village was very reluctant to use any spells except for Radiant which was used almost every night. The village was also reluctant to use their one shot guards and kills excepting Cythraul. I understand that a one shot guard that breaks even if it isn't needed feels weak, but to do otherwise directly proves the guard worked which real guards don't even get.

The mafia could guard locations and prevent all exploration. If there was a 1:1 ratio of mafia to explorers explorers would be injured automatically. If there was 2:1 or greater mafia could get an extra kill. The mafia had some bad luck this game however and was never really able to bring numbers to bear, although they did a great job at preventing exploring in general. Most locations required a torch to explore which was very likely to be acquired by visiting a location that required it. There were also a few treasures that could be grabbed without a torch across all the dungeons. Each dungeon had few items in them, the mafia was able to block a lot of the best items from coming out by being in the right place at the right time. Up to one villager a night could get a level up, granting a new spell.

The Dragonlord's conversion was pretty weak requiring consent, but depending on the situation should be attractive to a serial killer or people who like being converted. Mafia averaged 1.5 kills a night which seemed about right.

BTW @H3Knuckles The Dragonlord can also cast Stopspell.

Here are some numbers for the last few games I’ve run:

26 players for DQ
    24 players for FFI

26 players for Faxanadu
    18 players for Jurassic Hunger
    33 players for Fortune of Fools

So number of players seems relatively stable 18-33. Still a good audience for any game although it might be hard work to pull in the big numbers for a space pirates size game. I hope to do another game soon if I get the time but of course I don't want to step on anyone else's toes that might want to host. I might want to do a DW II game or maybe a 1.5 that deals with slimenia. Then again its equally likely to be some other random old game/tv show/movie that I happen to have watched recently. If anyone has any suggestions or things they liked didn't like feel free to share them.

Again sorry it took me so long to post this. Was a busy week.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Host Notes:

Well Hopefully better late than never. This game came from wanting to do something a bit more complex but I was unsure of how many people we could get. More on that at the end. I wanted to do an exploration mini game but didn't want the mafia to steal the items, so I let them try and spread out and guard items. Mafia knew which items were taken so they could bluff that either they were stopped from exploring or that they had acquired any item that was out. I'm not sure it was as fun as exploring though, maybe I'll try a system where both sides can explore. Spam filter speed and lack of a coherent spreadsheet for exploration results really slowed me down on the earlier nights when everyone was alive and needed a response each night.

Roles for this game:
    You are...

The Dragon Lord and Associates

So for 16 generations this one family has ruled the known world. It's a bit much really. Fortunately you now have the hordes of monsters Casus Belli, and that is really all it takes. You’ve sent your top men to recover the Ball of Light. You aren’t quite sure how it works, but it is supposed to banish monsters. Now that their super weapon is out of play, it's just a matter of culling their numbers until they go along with a change in the local ruling class. And then monsters and humans will enjoy a golden age together. Probably. Monsters have to eat of course.

You have the following abilities:

Group Kill - Pick one target to be removed from the game.

Guard - You may each pick one area to guard. This will prevent heroes from acquiring items from the areas you guard. Additionally, if the number of heroes in an area is much less than the number of monsters in an area one of the heroes could be injured or even killed. The areas are: Charlock Castle, North Cave, Rimildar, Swamp Cave, Mountain Cave, The Grave, Hauksness.

Here are the roles, let me know who is taking each one. See the OP for the default role.

Dragon Lord: You are the man with the plan. The leader of the monsters.

Ability: (one time) Split the world in half - Your target will get a choice to join your side.

Red Dragon: You are the most powerful of all the dragons.

Ability: Cripple - You may maul a hero so viciously that they will be unable to use items for the rest of the game.

Wizard: You like to say you are the brains of the bunch, at least when the Dragon Lord can’t hear you.

Abilities: One per Night
    Sleep - You may stop someone from acting tonight.
    Stopspell - Prevent a target from casting a spell for two days.
    Hurt - Severly injure someone preventing them from exploring.

Demon Knight: You have fought for longer than any other creature. Your bones have finally decayed to dust, leaving only your malevolent shadow.

Ability:
    Passive (one time) you will dodge the first ability sent your way.

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to your rule and outnumber the villagers.

You are...

King Lorik XVI

You are the King of Castle Tantagel. You like to sit around in your throne room and command others to do things. You are so good at it, you have one of the fanciest hats in the world.

Abilities: Crown - +1 Vote You may trade this item away, but then you wouldn’t be a king now would you?

You are...

Princess Gwaelin

Your father is King of the known world, but he refuses to name you as heir to the throne due to your gender. Then the Dragon Lord had the audacity to kidnap you and lock you in a cave. You’ve decided that perhaps you would be the only good ruler in the world. You have an amazing ability to force people to do what you want, and you are so beautiful that people should fall in line. As soon as you take out enough people to show them the consequences.

Abilities:

Gwaelin’s love (passive) - The first person to target you will fall in love with you and will die if you are killed.

But Thou Must - Command a target to kill themselves.

Win condition: Eliminate everyone except you and your lover.

You are...

Pretender

Yup, you aren’t an heir to some ancient hero. You are just another unemployed pretender hoping to fake it until you make it.

Ability:
    Explore - You may travel to and explore an area. The trip will not be easy. You will be risking injury or even death to have the chance to obtain an item. The areas are: North Cave, Charlock Castle, Rimildar, Swamp Cave, Mountain Cave, The Grave, Hauksness. Some areas will require certain spells or items to successfully explore.

Additionally, one pretender started with: Heal, Hurt, Stopspell, Radiant, and Sleep. All spells as above in the Wizard section, however a hurt mafia would be unable to use their power or guard. Radiant could self-target and provided torchlight for two nights on the target. The village was very reluctant to use any spells except for Radiant which was used almost every night. The village was also reluctant to use their one shot guards and kills excepting Cythraul. I understand that a one shot guard that breaks even if it isn't needed feels weak, but to do otherwise directly proves the guard worked which real guards don't even get.

The mafia could guard locations and prevent all exploration. If there was a 1:1 ratio of mafia to explorers explorers would be injured automatically. If there was 2:1 or greater mafia could get an extra kill. The mafia had some bad luck this game however and was never really able to bring numbers to bear, although they did a great job at preventing exploring in general. Most locations required a torch to explore which was very likely to be acquired by visiting a location that required it. There were also a few treasures that could be grabbed without a torch across all the dungeons. Each dungeon had few items in them, the mafia was able to block a lot of the best items from coming out by being in the right place at the right time. Up to one villager a night could get a level up, granting a new spell.

The Dragonlord's conversion was pretty weak requiring consent, but depending on the situation should be attractive to a serial killer or people who like being converted. Mafia averaged 1.5 kills a night which seemed about right.

BTW @H3Knuckles The Dragonlord can also cast Stopspell.

Here are some numbers for the last few games I’ve run:

26 players for DQ
    24 players for FFI

26 players for Faxanadu
    18 players for Jurassic Hunger
    33 players for Fortune of Fools

So number of players seems relatively stable 18-33. Still a good audience for any game although it might be hard work to pull in the big numbers for a space pirates size game. I hope to do another game soon if I get the time but of course I don't want to step on anyone else's toes that might want to host. I might want to do a DW II game or maybe a 1.5 that deals with slimenia. Then again its equally likely to be some other random old game/tv show/movie that I happen to have watched recently. If anyone has any suggestions or things they liked didn't like feel free to share them.

Again sorry it took me so long to post this. Was a busy week.

Yeah... I realized a few days later I was forgetting the spell name was changed to "Fizzle" in the rereleases, and so there's a couple monsters on that list that can cast it. Was kinda hoping no one would remember my mistake, lol.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png