As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Holy crap, there's a new Dawn of War Expansion (WH40K)

• Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    The Emperor is basically a vegetable. The irony being that if they would let him die, he would be reborn and humanity would be a-okay.

Also, the SS campaign looks like the DC campaign but with improvements.

Yeah, but if they let him die, they can't navigate the warp anymore. Then the countless imperium worlds get cut off, rampant slaughter ensues and the remaining worlds fall into a good old chaos orgy. All this while teen emperor struggles with his parents, the social challenges of the modern inquisition school system and the ravages of demi-god puberty.

Track Nine on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You don't KNOW if he'll be reborn though. Its just a theory. The most popular one but still a theory none the less. Killing him basically means they'll have to restart the Imperium again, 10,000 years of struggle and conflict made nothing. Not to mention the fact that he could be reborn ANYWHERE, and chaos will do everything it can to destroy or worst corrupt him.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Track Nine wrote: »
    The Emperor is basically a vegetable. The irony being that if they would let him die, he would be reborn and humanity would be a-okay.

Also, the SS campaign looks like the DC campaign but with improvements.

Yeah, but if they let him die, they can't navigate the warp anymore. Then the countless imperium worlds get cut off, rampant slaughter ensues and the remaining worlds fall into a good old chaos orgy. All this while teen emperor struggles with his parents, the social challenges of the modern inquisition school system and the ravages of demi-god puberty.
    But if they never told anyone that "whoops the Emperor died my bad guys", no one would notice. Then an all power man would come around and unite man until his spoiled son-clone tries to kill him again.

Another plus to that is that humanity would stop making underlings look horrifying.
    Zzulu wrote: »
    They're just a big slobbering mess of soulless people who will destroy everything in their way if it is marked as even the slightest inconvenience to them.
    I don't think it's fair to judge humanity by its military. Unlike most of the other 40k races, humans actually have some average Joes. I mean, sure, they're all flavours of Joe Ignorant Xenophobic Religious Fanatic, but you can't exactly blame them for that.
    Necrons, Orkz, and Chaos are the only people who really don't have normal people. And I'm not even sure about Chaos.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What's ironic is that the Emperor basically wanted the exact opposite of what these idiots are doing.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Tom AtoTom Ato Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Emperor never wanted to be worshipped and he wanted to put an end to religion and zealotry. It was his hope that logic and science would allow humanity to turn away from superstition and from Chaos. Basically, he thought he could beat the Chaos Gods by keeping people from believing in them. And it probably would have worked if his emo son Horus hadn't had a hissy fit because 'Daddy doesn't love me enough' and decided to sell his soul to Dark Gods in order to destroy everything that humanity had worked so hard to achieve.

The moral of the story is: never have super powered clone children of living gods as sons.

Tom Ato on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For emphasis, I think these pictures show off just how far from "humanity" the empire forces constantly stray. They have about as much regard for life as chaos do, and they are equally fanatical;

NSFW -
    [pic] AWESOMENESS INCARNATE [/pic]

They're just a big slobbering mess of soulless people who will destroy everything in their way if it is marked as even the slightest inconvenience to them.

There anymore of these..?

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited January 2008
    But if they never told anyone that "whoops the Emperor died my bad guys", no one would notice. Then an all power man would come around and unite man until his spoiled son-clone tries to kill him again.

Another plus to that is that humanity would stop making underlings look horrifying.

I think the guys flying the ships through the warp might notice when the only beacon they have - which they are completely dependant upon in order to navigate the warp - vanishes. It'll be like Titanic with excessive daemon rape.

Then all the distant imperium worlds are stranded and left to fend for themselves against a whole lot of angry xenos and easily corrupted dictatorships.

And of course theres the very good chance that the witch hunters will mistake baby emperor for a posessed daemon child - then you've got to go through I don't know how many cycles of burning and rebirthing until the emperor is finally either reborn on a world that would normally require warp travel to reach, or is reborn as a demi-god squig.

Track Nine on
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Necrons, Orkz, and Chaos are the only people who really don't have normal people. And I'm not even sure about Chaos.
    Tyranids? Dark Eldar? Tau, sure, they're okay, and they have the additional sympathy factor of being newcomers and sort of underdogs. And, while Eldar do have normal folks, a normal Eldar is much more cultured, enlightened, and capable than an average human. Obviously they have their own problems to deal with, but I'm pretty sure life is better on a Craftworld.

Grid System on
  • Vash108Vash108 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was surprised with the Dark Eldar I found them to be pretty fun to play. I guess my only real complaint is lack of turrets, which I know is kinda made up for by those AOE push back towers. Either way I can't wait for it to come out. DOW has been a great series so far and one of my favorite RTS, and I look forward to DoW2 I hear they will have Nids.

Vash108 on
    Vash10830042743.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Laughing God is the only god in WH40k that matters.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What I want to know is why the TYRANIDS are not in this game.

WHY

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
    edited January 2008
    Because Tyranids are too awesome for us to handle.

And they need something for the next expansion/DoW2

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

WHY

Not a strong enough game engine to make them justice. They're contemplating tyranids for dow2
    For emphasis, I think these pictures show off just how far from "humanity" the empire forces constantly stray. They have about as much regard for life as chaos do, and they are equally fanatical;

NSFW -

Of course there is son. In the codexes of every race/army you can find a bunch of artwork

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited January 2008

I think the guys flying the ships through the warp might notice when the only beacon they have - which they are completely dependant upon in order to navigate the warp - vanishes. It'll be like Titanic with excessive daemon rape.

Then all the distant imperium worlds are stranded and left to fend for themselves against a whole lot of angry xenos and easily corrupted dictatorships.

And of course theres the very good chance that the witch hunters will mistake baby emperor for a posessed daemon child - then you've got to go through I don't know how many cycles of burning and rebirthing until the emperor is finally either reborn on a world that would normally require warp travel to reach, or is reborn as a demi-god squig.
    That's the thing, though. If the believe that there's a beacon, then poof, there's magically a beacon. That's why religion in 40k is so neat.

And yeah, Cegorach is the best.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

NSFW -

In the Codex army books, plus the main rulebook is chock full of them.

It's the reason I bought the 4th edition rulebook in the first place, and never got into 40k until they started including artwork like that. I mean how was I supposed to be intrigued by goofy generic early-90s RPG sketches of dumpy comic book characters prevalent in 2nd edition and all the bland sterile stuff in 3rd?

Those last statements don't apply to John Blanche's art, which asides from using the odd/incohesive design elements back in the day, was almost always awesome.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fuck you man the 2nd ed books are absolutely full of awesome art. Maybe some of it isn't as 'realistic' as the modern stuff, but its still absolutely full to the brim with character.

I'm going to have to go GIS the orks second edition codex cover.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

WHY

Not a strong enough game engine to make them justice.

What does this even mean? Like, the game can't render chitin, or creatures with 6 appendages? Tyranids aren't really any more of a horde army than Orks in DoW, or IG.

Orogogus on
    edited January 2008
    Tyranids are nothing like the Orks.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited January 2008
    translates as: We need a killer hook to make sure you will DEFINITELY buy the second game.

DodgeBlan on

edited January 2008
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with stuff like not being able to render them and/or oh god so many.

And how would they even work? eat ____, ____, or ____ to get _____?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I look forward to DoW2. DoW is one of my favourite RTS games of all time.

They should just stop whoring out expansions now and get that sequel out, complete with tyranids and new fancy violent graphics.:x

And how would they even work?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/5405/tyranid-mod

I have not played it myself.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tyranids are nothing like the Orks.

Uh... I'm trying to identify the source of confusion here, and I'm not sure where it is. I guess I'll try to rephrase.

Why can't the game engine support Tyranids? It doesn't seem like the Tyranids would have many more models in play than other armies which throw a lot of bodies onto the field, like Orks or Imperial Guard. And there's only so many troops you can fit on the screen at once, or realistically control as a human player in a squad-oriented game.
    Goomba wrote:
    And how would they even work? eat ____, ____, or ____ to get _____?
    Well, this I could see, but you wouldn't usually call mechanics like that a limitation of the game engine, which is what I always hear about Tyranids in DoW.

Orogogus on
    edited January 2008
    But when units die, they turn into corpses. A servitor is the same as a chaplain.

But on the engine aspect, besides the corpses, they really have been specific. Just that the engine wouldn't do them justice.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

That's the thing, though. If the believe that there's a beacon, then poof, there's magically a beacon. That's why religion in 40k is so neat.

If you're saying that the Emperor could die, they could trash the Golden Throne and send the choir home and the Astronomicon would still be there - well, you're pretty much just making shit up.

august on
    edited January 2008
    august wrote: »

If you're saying that the Emperor could die, they could trash the Golden Throne and send the choir home and the Astronomicon would still be there - well, you're pretty much just making shit up.
    I am not. As long as enough people believe in it, it exists. If the made a big deal about how the Emperor died then, yeah, of course shit's going to hit the fan.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I pretty much hate the humans in 40k. The only plus side is the bad ass armor designs for Space Marines.
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Also this "Tau must be good guys" is why alot of veterans didn't agree with their addition. But what you have to remember is that is the greater good at the expensive of anything. If you complete the Tau campaign on DC they
    Kill alot of the human populace and steralise the rest because the're too disruptive to society.

They aren't 100% what we would consider good but they are the, uh, most good.
    At least they don't want to wipe out all other species and instead are willing to let other species into their community. From the Tau Codex it sounds like if it wasn't for the whole cannibalism part of the Kroots culture they would be considered societal equals to the Tau. It also makes it sound as the the Tau are trying to bend the other racist to be more like them. On top of that the Tau seek out other races similar to them to include in their little happy hug time group. Some of the races are just hired mercenaries with special trade deals, though. I don't know if they are considered part of the community or not.

As for the end of DC...
    I guess I somehow missed the part where they mentioned sterilizing the humans they didn't kill. I do remember them putting humans into reeducation camps and allowing graduates to join the Tau.
    I saw some cool Human Tau conversions on the official webpage that modders made after reading a short story about humans who fight for the Tau.

Accualt on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

WHY

Because they have to wait for Blizzard to show them how to do it with the Zerg in SC2 before they can copy it.

The_Scarab on
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

WHY

Because they have to wait for Blizzard to show them how to do it with the Zerg in SC2 before they can copy it.

I bet Relic felt that.

DodgeBlan on

edited January 2008
    I'll be pretty dissapointed if when the Tyranids do finally roll around you're using 'gaunts to capture points.

DodgeBlan on

edited January 2008
    I am not. As long as enough people believe in it, it exists. If the made a big deal about how the Emperor died then, yeah, of course shit's going to hit the fan.

Whatever colour'd for fail.

Entities and manifestations in the warp occur as a result of the culmination of psychic energy, not beliefs. Hence the Chaos gods are the manifestation of millenia of build-up of various forms of psychic energy resulting from certain beings behaviour and emotions. It's really not a magic place where things become real just because people want to believe in them. I'm sure a whole lot of Eldar believed their gods were almighty and at that moment when Slaanesh came to life, all at once wanted to believe in something that would stop him.. no dice.

Track Nine on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It wont be for a while will it? IIRC Relic are doing Homeworld 3 next concurrently with COH expansions (I think a russian/pacific x-pac was all but confirmed right?)

The_Scarab on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    august wrote: »

Sure you're not confusing humies with Orkz, man? Because while human faith is great...

Don't think it's enough to compensate for the lack of Jesus.

doug_grammar on
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

WHY

Fuck, I hated how Relic coppied the way Reapers, sorry, I mean Assault Marines, worked. Fucking lame.

And no, the pyskers combined energy and knowledge would be enough to keep it going. I didn't mean that if enough random citizens believed that the Astromincon existed it would continue to, I meant if the pyskers did.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Don't know man, it takes around five thousand puny little psykers to keep vegetable jesus alive.

A few librarians here and there aren't going to be able to make up for it.

Also they're psykers they'll feel it all the way up their ass once the Emperor dies.

doug_grammar on
    edited January 2008
    vegetable jesus

Ah, it's funny because it's true

<3 40k

Track Nine on
    edited January 2008
    Despite the fact that I'm right and smarter than all of you combined, I vote that we ignore this topic and actually play the game.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's more like 10,000 psykers keep the Astronomicon going, while several more a day are annihilated directly by the Emperor to sustain him. Reportedly He's required to 'channel' the beacon but it's still possible the presense of the Choir itself is what maintains its image in the warp. Now the more certain issue would be the inability to make more astro-telepaths without him, leading to the collapse in interstellar communication and making coordinated Naval/Guard actions and proper chain of supply from agricultural and forge worlds. That in itself would cripple the Imperium.

And now we know!
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Fuck you man the 2nd ed books are absolutely full of awesome John Blanche art. Maybe some of it isn't as artistic as the modern stuff, but its still absolutely full to the brim with non-John blanche art.

Codex Imperialis had some good character sketches (the main Imperial Guardsman image is awesome, I don't know why they never made an IG mini anythnig liek it for years, let alone a main plastic line), but man, so much other stuff was dull or amature; even the cover was hokey. the problem is too much of it tries to be too realistic; even Blanche said it took him years to lay off the details and be more abstract with his pieces, which you can see on the SoB codex or the 3rd Edition cover.

I kept seeing over the years all these static, over-detailed battle scenes with invariably some clean-cut cardboard hero in the middle with his osha-striped weapon held overhead, flemenco-style, and I'd think "man, this looks so overblown and sanctimonious for basically relying on a cornball 'hoorah! we're marines!' attitude. they really need a more coherent style."

They started to get on the right track overall around 2003, I think.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited January 2008
    So in the new demo the AI actually tries to take the crit back.

Not very well, but it does and I salute it's efforts.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    It's more like 10,000 psykers keep the Astronomicon going, while several more a day are annihilated directly by the Emperor to sustain him. Reportedly He's required to 'channel' the beacon but it's still possible the presense of the Choir itself is what maintains its image in the warp. Now the more certain issue would be the inability to make more astro-telepaths without him, leading to the collapse in interstellar communication and making coordinated Naval/Guard actions and proper chain of supply from agricultural and forge worlds. That in itself would cripple the Imperium.

And now we know!
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Fuck you man the 2nd ed books are absolutely full of awesome John Blanche art. Maybe some of it isn't as artistic as the modern stuff, but its still absolutely full to the brim with non-John blanche art.

Codex Imperialis had some good character sketches (the main Imperial Guardsman image is awesome, I don't know why they never made an IG mini anythnig liek it for years, let alone a main plastic line), but man, so much other stuff was dull or amature; even the cover was hokey. the problem is too much of it tries to be too realistic; even Blanche said it took him years to lay off the details and be more abstract with his pieces, which you can see on the SoB codex or the 3rd Edition cover.

I kept seeing over the years all these static, over-detailed battle scenes with invariably some clean-cut cardboard hero in the middle with his osha-striped weapon held overhead, flemenco-style, and I'd think "man, this looks so overblown and sanctimonious for basically relying on a cornball 'hoorah! we're marines!' attitude. they really need a more coherent style."

They started to get on the right track overall around 2003, I think.

I see where you are coming from.

But when I look at the modern covers- the new orks for example- I always think 'where is the energy?'
    They just seem to lack any vibrancy. Its like they are trying to hard to be real, when they should just be 40k?

However the modern tyranid art is leagues ahead of the old shit.

DodgeBlan on

edited January 2008
    See, I find the recent art to be less realistic; The Ork Codex cover, though real in basic structure and anatomy, relies a lot on impressionism for its overall look, with layout, color palette and an abstraction of detail to direct the energy of the image. On the other hand, so much of the big scenic pieces from the early '90s work seem to attempt a much more literal or even categorical depiction of everything present (albeit often comic-like in outlining and shading), and deriving energy simply from packing as much detail and business as possible. Almost always they center upon one giant guy in the middle and successively smaller stuff trailing away like an anthill, and all sorts of contrasting guns & equipment sticking out like sore thumbs to break up the image. It doesn't give shape or movement to the piece as a whole.

I look at every cover between Imperialis and Sisters of Battle and it all feels like a collage of technical diagrams and bio photos. Except Imperial Guard, that one's just absurdly drab (It's like First Blood, but more like Worst Blood).

Now 3rd Edition, there's a source of bland hyper-realistic art with neither exacting detail nor impressionism. Just compare the old Dark Angels Codex to the new one and consider they're by the same guy.

(And let's not discuss the situation that was 1st/Rogue Trader's art)

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif