As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fight your brain and/or a child in [Disco Elysium]

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Kim doesn't like pinball and it wounds me

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Kim is a true bro

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Goddamnit, I bought it, I played it 4 hours in one sitting and I would like to play more, but it's time to go to bed soon.

Im trying to roleplay Sam Vimes, if he had even more depression than he already had at the start of his first book. 2 / 2 / 4 / 4, my signature skill is Shivers, but it was not very usdeful so far.

I failed to shoot the body down, and just hit it's chest. I feel like Kim is disappointed in me, and now I am even more disappointed with myself...

Also, I learned a little about my character's past - I regret learning about it, and I prefered not knowing.

• Options
    this is the first time in a long time where I've played an RPG and actually had to make deals with myself where I'm all "ok after this interview I definitely have to go to bed"

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    this is the first time in a long time where I've played an RPG and actually had to make deals with myself where I'm all "ok after this interview I definitely have to go to bed"

I stayed up way too fuckin' late last night playing this

But I mean, that body wasn't gonna shove ITSELF in a polar-bear-shaped freezer

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got this installed on one of the library vr laptops so I was playing this while supervising the library after school. Thank god for cloud saves!

Also my entire goal in this game now is to now disappoint Kim.

Or at least keep the disappointment to a minimum.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I stayed up way too fuckin' late last night playing this

But I mean, that body wasn't gonna shove ITSELF in a polar-bear-shaped freezer

OH FUCK.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I got this installed on one of the library vr laptops so I was playing this while supervising the library after school. Thank god for cloud saves!

Also my entire goal in this game now is to now disappoint Kim.

Or at least keep the disappointment to a minimum.

"Kim, I just took a little speed. I hope you aren't mad. It was for professional reasons."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Good news: I found my badge!

Bad news: I found another corpse.

Unexpected news: I think I found Batman?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kim has gone out of town for a few hours and I THOUGHT I would get up to shenanigans, but instead I'm terrified of what might happen without my safety net. I've mainly been, like, reading to pass the time.

• Options
    Kim tried to buy drugs off some one and it was adorable

I was legit asking to party but he thought I was being super sleuth and I've proven one insane tangent so he's committed to the bit it's amazing

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    What do you guys think would make for a Dale Cooper, inasmuch as that's even possible

I'm thinking putting points into Inland Empire (obv), Empathy, Visual Calculus, Composure, and Hand-Eye Coordination

• Options
    Okay I need help. I accidentally clicked past a note that talks about the location of the key to the blue door in the hotel.
    The note was in the room behind that blue door. It said something about plants under a window. Can anyone tell me what the note said or just where that key is?

• Options
    Okay I need help. I accidentally clicked past a note that talks about the location of the key to the blue door in the hotel.
    The note was in the room behind that blue door. It said something about plants under a window. Can anyone tell me what the note said or just where that key is?
    it just says the spare key is by the window in the Union box dunno if that changes the white perception challenge but that's what it says/where it is

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    it just says the spare key is by the window in the Union box dunno if that changes the white perception challenge but that's what it says/where it is

Thanks!

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    What do you guys think would make for a Dale Cooper, inasmuch as that's even possible

I'm thinking putting points into Inland Empire (obv), Empathy, Visual Calculus, Composure, and Hand-Eye Coordination

Lots of Inland Empire and Conceptualization!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Due to... Circumstances... I'm down to -5 logic... Shit is getting weird

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Does everyone else just run around with the plastic bag in their hands in case there is a bottle to pick up?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Does everyone else just run around with the plastic bag in their hands in case there is a bottle to pick up?
    yes
    gotta get rent money somehow

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

I do bag and flashlight

I have a Thought that gives me a dime whenever I click a green bubble, and the flashlight reveals new things, so I'm just RAKING in the small change

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I have puked every time I approached the body. I think I am actually done being distracted and can go try again now that I raised my endurance up awhile ago.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    How significant is the passage of time? I noticed with each question a minute passes, and that stresses me out.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    How significant is the passage of time? I noticed with each question a minute passes, and that stresses me out.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. The in-game speed isn't one-to-one with real-time, but it is pretty slow, and the dialogue speed is more like 20 seconds for each choice. I'm at like 18 hours already and only halfway through day 3. I've also heard that in general, you'll have more options opening up as time passes, not less.

I actually really like the way time works in game. A lot of rpgs I'll spend all day just reading through everything they throw at me. Shadowrun Hong Kong, a game I love, was terrible about this. I'd spend a hour listening to the life story of side characters, and totally lose focus on what I was suppose to be doing. Here, I've got that gentle reminder, usually in the form of Kim asking "What are you doing?", to keep me focused. I'd love to hear more about your ghost insects, but how is it going to help us get that body out of the tree? We could keep searching this abandoned building, but the chances of finding my gun there are pretty slim. I could get in a shouting match with a racist trucker, but I need to talk to my nemesis Garte and his cruel-hearted goddess Capitalism or else I'm out on the street tonight.

The game has also been real good about making whichever choice you go with rewarding. Going on a ghost bug hunt didn't get the body down, but it did help answer some questions about the crime scene. My gun wasn't in the building, but *a* gun was. And a lucky pair of d20s! I haven't been kicked out of my room, yet, but there's probably cool stuff happening if you do!

The FAQ they put up says losers will see content winners never will. And that you can get through the game without ever even looking at the body in the tree. So you should be good to play whatever way you want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I think the best thing this game does is never tell you the outcome when you click a choice but also make it very clear when you being a dipshit in dialogue has tanked your success chance at a test.

The whole design is to bury you in an avalanche so much so that you can't just do the RPG thing of clicking on literally every option and it creates a refreshing sense of freedom.

That and the fact that your character (THE OFFICER, WHO IS THE LAW *Jazz Hands*) is clearly such an irredeemable asshole that being bad at your job is fine. Like even the thoughts about 'good' stuff like being a feminist are framed in your guy fundamentally not understanding what it means or why he's doing it.

Also my officer is The Last True Adherent of Communism, Some How a Feminist and Some Kind of Super Star.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    That all sounds great but you'll take my 9mm finger guns from my cold dead hands.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I have puked every time I approached the body. I think I am actually done being distracted and can go try again now that I raised my endurance up awhile ago.

You also don't have to get the body down. Exploring the town will open up other options to deal with the body!

I ran into the first "boss fight" of the game last night. It was everything I hoped it would be. I'm having a blast with this. The skill system is really interesting and the quest log is very good at telling you what exactly you need to do next for each task.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    Just did speed with a 12 year old this game is good

• Options
    can't wait to play it some more when I come down off this speed

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Just did speed with a 12 year old this game is good

I tried to do this while Kim was around and he was FIRM in his displeasure

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I understand why you wanted me to be Sorrycop, I just don't wanna be Sorrycop

• Options

I am Sorrycop. Sometimes you just got to own something.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

I expect that I will remain Sorrycop until I stop running into a whole bunch of shit that I legitimately ought to be sorry about, which will be a challenge given the "cop" part.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    shalmelo wrote: »

I expect that I will remain Sorrycop until I stop running into a whole bunch of shit that I legitimately ought to be sorry about, which will be a challenge given the "cop" part.

My favorite conversations so far have been when the antagonists start legitimately calling me out on my shit for "just doing my job" as a cop and I, the player, have to be like...fuck, they kind of have a point

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    yeah flashlight and bag combo!

also I'm pretty sure the body will be hanging forever. But my amazing stardom and powers of deduction will ensure I prevail in cracking the case!

• Options
    Anyone else running high inland Empire and shivers and talk to Joyce yet?

Shits wild

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Aw man, my copotype is Sorry Cop.

I really wanted to be Superstar Cop. Can I switch copotypes later? Can I multiclass copotypes!?!?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    *Impossible*8% chance to force my face to stop the crazy grimace.

Me: So you are saying there is a chance?

Rolls the dice

Crit Success first try!

FUCK YES.

Now I just look like a sad sack and not an insane creeper sand sack.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I decided to give my character a 5 Intelligence and 4 Strength, so he's very smart and pretty strong but is not very good about this whole "emotions" thing and has the agility of a brick coated in maple syrup.

I gave him "Encylopedia" for his signature skill, and it's been a great choice so far. Getting distracted by random minutia I happen to remember and correcting both my partner and small children on details that are technically wrong but ultimately insignificant has been very funny.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I already want to do an all strength and speed runthrough

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I already want to do an all strength and speed runthrough

It says a lot about how well designed this game is that every combination seems like it would be very entertaining

IKknkhU.gif