As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Joker] Dead Man Joaquin

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
ucxe2tss1ayd.jpg

JOKER is a movie directed by Todd Phillips of The Hangover films, starring Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck, a man based on the character Joker from DC Comics. Heavily influenced by other films such as Taxi Driver and Falling Down, it depicts the fall of a man as the world around him ignores him.

https://youtu.be/-_DJEzZk2pc
https://youtu.be/nTVdN6s3rXY

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Shit that's a good title pun

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Shit that's a good title pun

It’s excellent because even if you don’t know that Joaquin is pronounced “Wah-keen” which sounds like “walking,” the typical phonetic mispronunciation based on the spelling would probably be “Joe-ah-kihn” which sounds like “joking” which also works for the Joker.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    0kb0sgko5smz.jpeg

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Realized days after seeing this movie that in this continuity
    The police, a talk show's writing room and likely more people in the public know Joker's original name and identity.

Kinda makes it less mysterious

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    The police, a talk show's writing room and likely more people in the public know Joker's original name and identity.

he can't be the actual supervillain Joker anyway. Bruce is like 8 and Arthur is in his 40s. By the time batman exists he would be 60+, trivial to apprehend and contain.

I think it makes more sense for Arthur to be the proto supervillain and inspire the actual Joker

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options

I assume it's messier than that given
    the many clown themed murders that same night

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2019
    Let's make an effort to make this thread not-shitty than its predecessor; the Joaquin to the Jared, if you will. Talk about the movie - and for god's sakes maybe try to have something interesting and personal to say, instead of a take borrowed from somewhere else on the internet - and not about your fellow posters.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I assume it's messier than that given
    the many clown themed murders that same night
    I mean, yeah but they have a solid lead on a possible suspect. There's something to go from for a detective. Not that it helps anyone, Joker is Joker by then.... but it's less mysterious.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I just saw it and I am super happy with the end result. Good film, good acting, and the only detractions for me are mostly external to the film, namely the arguments being had external to the movie due to ::waves hands in reality's general direction::, and one plot point in general.
    Having Joker be even slightly involved in the death of the Waynes is pretty jacked up, and that along with the pearl necklace moment it just felt jarring in a film that was trying to do something different but ended up retreading the same old thing in the end.

But that one moment aside, I loved it. It was an homage to some better films, sure... but that does not diminish the care put into the craft or the good performances given. Joaquin acted his ass off in this film and I was uncomfortable throughout.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I agree that watching it made me uncomfortable, entirely due to Phoenix 's acting

I was convinced he had scoliosis hallway through although it disappears when he's most in his element (e.g., the post-killing dances) which I thought was an interesting way of depicting how cramped and broken he is in society's role for him vs the freedom he feels when he assumes the role

His portrayal is so total in his mannerisms and body movements that I really got lost in him

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    He does a good job in every scene of making you think he's just about to snap and kill someone.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The way the film portrays that world's treatment of mental health also makes it seem unlikely that Joker would just be kept "locked up" in Arkham Asylum or whatever.

If they weren't spending the money on out-patient treatment for the guy before, they sure as shit ain't feeding and housing him for the next several decades after he's committed multiple homicides.

RT800 on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    The way the film portrays that world's treatment of mental health also makes it seem unlikely that Joker would just be kept "locked up" in Arkham Asylum or whatever.

If they weren't spending the money on out-patient treatment for the guy before, they sure as shit ain't feeding and housing him for the next several decades after he's committed multiple homicides.
    It also may be why Arkham Asylum seams like a revolving door.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    zepherin wrote: »

It's really sad how as a kid we all were like "why would they simply not keep the Joker locked up / in treatment?" and that as an adult the answer was and had been all along simply that we would never fund social services to that extent.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I just saw it and I am super happy with the end result. Good film, good acting, and the only detractions for me are mostly external to the film, namely the arguments being had external to the movie due to ::waves hands in reality's general direction::, and one plot point in general.
    Having Joker be even slightly involved in the death of the Waynes is pretty jacked up, and that along with the pearl necklace moment it just felt jarring in a film that was trying to do something different but ended up retreading the same old thing in the end.

But that one moment aside, I loved it. It was an homage to some better films, sure... but that does not diminish the care put into the craft or the good performances given. Joaquin acted his ass off in this film and I was uncomfortable throughout.

I am mad at myself for the amount that that scene overwhelmed my initial reaction (like, the 'ride home with friends' convo I dwelled on that for some reason. it annoyed me.) but I like the movie more as time goes on.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    On seeing this movie for myself yesterday, I have to concede Joker got under my skin in a way that a lot of movies I've watched didn't or couldn't. Possibly part of this for me was seeing some of the things he wrote in that journal of his such as this:
    What is the worst part of having a mental illness? It's that everyone expects you to act as if you don't

There were a lot of uncomfortable things to say in this movie, about how society abandons its most vulnerable, about mental illness in general and then, possibly to the movies detriment, about how the mentally ill can themselves become violent. There is a lot of different ways of interpreting this movie, but I wholeheartedly reject a lot of the initial criticism from some left leaning sources about this movie inspiring killers/incel culture. Indeed, I've not watched such a virulently "Eat the rich" movie as Joker for a long time. If there is any antagonist in this movie, it's the rich and powerful of society who just don't seem to do anything right by the most vulnerable people in the movie.

By far the most poignant scene in the movie to me was when he has all his funding and help taken away from him when the mental health services are completely cut. When the person supposed to be helping him included herself in her frank assessment of the situation with "They don't give a fuck about you and they don't give a fuck about me" that was truly powerful. Everyone lost in that situation and it was only a matter of time before things just escalated.

There were a lot of magnificent shots in this movie and the soundtrack can only be described as completely haunting.

In the end I still haven't decided if I liked or hated this movie at this moment. It says a lot of uncomfortable things about the nature of suffering from mental illnesses, but I can't decide if it undermines that by making his backstory so extreme then leaning on that for why he snaps to mass killing* says some terrible things too. Especially when we live in a world where a man like Arthur is infinitely more of a danger to himself, which in fairness they did demonstrate in several ways, than to anyone else who isn't him.

I need to think about this movie more and in that way, it was a triumph.
    The three guys on the subway, in every way, were arguable justified self-defense and trauma catching up to him

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So, wild theory based on how much of what we see in the movie turns out to just be Arthur's imagination/hallucinations.
    I think basically the last act is just more hallucination. We see him climb into the fridge, we hear the fridge door latch so we know it's one of the old ones they don't make any more because you can't open them from the inside. It makes sense that Penny would have a fridge from the 50s.

The next thing that happens, if I'm remembering the movie right, is that he is mysteriously out of the fridge and gets an inexplicable phone call from the Murray show talking about how people loved the clip of him and Murray wants to have him on the program.

Everything after entering the fridge I am leaning towards just being in his head. He doesn't go on the Murray Show, he doesn't spark a revolution, he just suffocates in a fridge and the chase down a blank white hallway is just his last moments before death.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Eddy wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

It's really sad how as a kid we all were like "why would they simply not keep the Joker locked up / in treatment?" and that as an adult the answer was and had been all along simply that we would never fund social services to that extent.
    And he could never be sent to Gotham Prison because of his insanity, and Batman doesn’t provide evidence of a crime. Most of the time when the Joker (or really most of the criminals in Gotham) commits a crime they just get beat up, tied up and dropped off.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Watched this tonight. Fantastic performance by Phoenix, but ultimately I felt like the film was rendered relatively toothless by the time period and setting it in a fictional world. Yes, it was solidly representing very real and very horrifying attitudes and problems, but the setting of the film also makes it far too easy for viewers to dismiss the situation as a 70s or comic book sort of thing. I can somewhat see that as being intentional, though, in order to prevent the movie from being warped into an ugly kind of manifesto for modern people to use to justify some ugly stuff. The movie makes it pretty clear that the suffering is bad and so is the violence that results, which is the sort of things that some people overlook to take the message they want out of the movie.

The stuff with the Wayne's was the worst part of the movie for me. Felt very distracting, like they were trying too hard to establish that all this takes place in Gotham and is thus really related to the Joker. They could have pulled the Gotham and Wayne references and the movie wouldn't have wasted effort leaning on the Batman stuff at all, and instead been it's own solid piece.

In the end, I appreciated the movie but felt myself really wishing they'd gone the distance to put together a piece that couldn't rely on the time period or fictional setting as insulation. I say this as somebody who has had to deal with the outright criminal shortcomings of the treatment of individuals with mental issues for over a decade now; I want people to be presented with the stark reality of the consequences of trying to bury the mentally ill and to be extremely uncomfortable with that reality.

Also disappointed that Phoenix did a great Joker in the end (not that he starts out badly, just that the character he grows into by the end is not what we have at the start), but timeline stuff means we'll probably never get his Joker alongside a decent Batman. This is the closest yet to having something like Joker from animated Batman series, but it's a pretty unique and unsettling take. Very good Joker laugh; making it a neurosis thing made it increasingly uncomfortable to see, particularly in the knowledge that we know Arthur can't stop the laughing and it actively pains him.

Worthwhile watch, but it could've been more and I'm also wondering if WB will be able to actually make anything useful from this or if they'll just churn out another DC disaster.

• Options
    There's pretty much a 0% chance of a direct sequel. Maybe they could hint at it or use it as a backdrop for a Batman Reboot, but I high-key doubt it. They'd probably have to get Phoenix or Phillips to sign off on it which I don't think either are. Best case scenario is that Phillips is given another directing gig under the DC banner, if you want more from him.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    timeline stuff means we'll probably never get his Joker alongside a decent Batman.
    I doubt Phoenix would be interested but, like, there's nothing stopping them from making a new movie, starring his Joker, that isn't a sequel. Mark Hamill plays the Joker in several different projects that aren't in continuity with each other

wandering on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Saw the movie and enjoyed it. As disturbing as some of it was, I was glad that they skipped over some extra cringe inducing scenes like the
    stand-up routine. We know he's going to flop going in, no need to drag out the agony.
    Also had a good post-movie conversation about just how much of the events were in his head other than the stuff that was very plainly spelled out as such in the movie. I think the
    car crash that results in the Joker standing on the hood of the car and basking in the adulation of the crowd was all in his head, and I'm borderline on the end of the second social worker scene when she says that they don't care about people like him or her.

Like everyone else is saying, Joaquin acts his ass off in the movie.

I don't want a Batman movie that has this Joker in it, I think the movie is perfect as an one and done... but if someone came up with a Batman script that used this character I would at least be intrigued with what they had come up with.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    It would be interesting to see a Joker that's maybe less obsessed with beating Batman, but who does have reason to go after Bruce Wayne.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    As a Taxi Driver remake, I thought this movie was alright, but it didn't really work for me as a Joker origin story. To me the Joker needs to be an enigma and a mastermind, and this guy was neither. The attempts to tie this story into the Batman universe were the clumsiest parts of the movie. I think Joaquin did a great job with the material but his character doesn't quite scan as the Joker to me, though there were flashes of it at the end. I dunno, overall I thought this movie was trying to be two things at once and it didn't quite gel.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So, saw this yesterday. The first act was just incredible. The movie did a great job of introducing us to this broken man with severe issues who's just doing the best he can with what he's got. I was legit tearing up a bit seeing this guy just struggle with everything. However, once they started looping in Thomas Wayne as this total jerk, the riots, the Batman connections, etc. I feel like it falls apart a fair bit. It doesn't help that the movie did a lot of tell not show with Gotham's economic issues. Whereas in something like Falling Down they do a lot of showing not telling here they just do news reports on a TV and got so bogged down with Batman stuff that they never give the actually important parts of the movie time to develop. It picks up again towards the end once they refocus on just Arthur but by then the foundation of the climax hasn't been given the needed time to set. It also doesn't help that Arthur, while nuts, didn't actually plan much of anything. He gets credit for things put on him but he's largely just a guy stumbling through everything happening around him. That said, Joaquin's acting really was fucking phenomenal. Even when the material wasn't the best he clearly poured himself into this role and was spellbinding to watch the whole way through.

It's worth a watch, but I don't think it's something I'd say is a must watch in the theater.

This is making me watch Taxi Driver for the first time though just so I can have that comparison to what is apparently the source material.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png