As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    PROTIP:When giving the police a false name, it helps to not have your actual name tattooed on your neck:
    Mattoon police arrested a 36-year-old Illinois man for giving officers a fake name, despite having his real name tattooed on his neck.

Matthew C. Bushman, of Mansfield, had a warrant out for his arrest when officers booked him on Oct. 11 for obstructing justice. A police mugshot shows the “Matty B” tattoo across his throat.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's the end of an era, the end of an age

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

On the one hand it's about fucking time

On the other hand *pours our a single drink of a 40*

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I wonder how much it's going to cost to raise that railbed.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Of course the road is not closed yet so there is always a chance for another truck or some moron with a rental thinking their is bragging rights in being the bridge's last truck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

The people over at r/11foot8 will be devestated.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    For those who still want to watch stupid trucks failing to go under a bridge, there is...another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-UugI0JoA

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am deeply curious about who finally agreed to pay the bill. Maybe the same company insuring the rail line/bridge also insured many of the victims trucks and they were tired of paying both ways? I doubt we will ever know the truth but I would have loved to be in on that meeting.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    In my area there was a crossing about 100 feet from a major intersection that kept causing huge traffic snarls every time a train passed. (This area has a ton of at-grade crossings)

They eventually got tired of this and dug out an underpass. It surely cost tens of millions but it was worth it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Wait do you raise the rail or lower the underpass

• Options
    Wait do you raise the rail or lower the underpass

They're raising the rail, because apparently that's cheaper than lowering the underpass (since there is a sewage pipe under there and lowering that one would require lowering the whole sewage system.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    The most recent crash hit it REAL hard, like it actually lifted the rails briefly and I don't think I've ever seen one do that before. I wonder if that had anything to do with it

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    The most recent crash hit it REAL hard, like it actually lifted the rails briefly and I don't think I've ever seen one do that before. I wonder if that had anything to do with it

Yeah, that probably has everything to do with it. Once the repair bill hits a significant percentage of the cost to raise the bridge you might as well raise it.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

It's about damn time.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd have fined every person who hit it and put it towards paying to raise it. Once the number of idiots hits critical mass, you have a funded solution.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I feel that the only proper way to send off the bridge is with a 21 U-Haul salute.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I feel that the only proper way to send off the bridge is with a 21 U-Haul salute.

Quick, someone cut together a "greatest hits" video, with the 1812 overture as a soundtrack

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Sad girl remix of "Highway to Hell"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Sad girl remix of "Highway to Hell"

The ghost of Bon Scott now wants to kick your ass.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    As a ghost, his foot would go right through my ass and be

Deep in the Hole

(Yes, I know that was when the lead singer was Brian Johnson, so that reference might be considered to be Breaking the Rules)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    As a ghost, his foot would go right through my ass and be

Deep in the Hole

(Yes, I know that was when the lead singer was Brian Johnson, so that reference might be considered to be Breaking the Rules)

Bravo, I was more just insinuating him being a native Scotsman raised in Austrailia and prone to violence.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I hope they raise it and then new taller trucks start smashing into it

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Build another 11-8 bridge somewhere that isn't used for anything, just as a tourist attraction without the risk of damaging train tracks.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Sometimes the internet comment section actually does it's job:

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I've read about the features around the bridge and it saps my hope for the future that it still got hit.

There's bars that will hit your vehicle like in drive thru windows, and if you trigger one here light changes to red and a sign lights up that says, "OVER HEIGHT MUST TURN!" This is why in videos so many vehicles are running a red light before hitting it - you either have to run he light or sit for like five minutes with a flashing sign telling you that you're going to hit the bridge before the system decides if you're that determined to crank up your insurance who are they to judge.

Hevach on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The system sometimes fails though because you can hit the bar and pass it, ending the overheight warning, while sitting at the red light. Then it turns green with no warning.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There kind of comes a point though where it doesn't matter how well designed your prevention system is if it's still being bypassed to this degree. At a point the worry shifts to the drivers around these accidents, the ones slamming on their brakes so they don't slam into the now suddenly stopped truck. At the end of the day, the universal truth is that this overpass is still incredibly poorly designed and a danger, and no amount of added warnings and protections have worked.

It's a shame, but there's a litany of evidence that shows nothing they were doing was actually working.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I've read about the features around the bridge and it saps my hope for the future that it still got hit.

There's bars that will hit your vehicle like in drive thru windows, and if you trigger one here light changes to red and a sign lights up that says, "OVER HEIGHT MUST TURN!" This is why in videos so many vehicles are running a red light before hitting it - you either have to run he light or sit for like five minutes with a flashing sign telling you that you're going to hit the bridge before the system decides if you're that determined to crank up your insurance who are they to judge.

On the other hand, you get enough people doing something, and somebody's going to mess it up. That's why those stickers on fruit are made to be edible. Raising the height to the standard 12' was always the correct solution, it's just that there's wasn't the money for it until now.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

On the other hand, you get enough people doing something, and somebody's going to mess it up. That's why those stickers on fruit are made to be edible. Raising the height to the standard 12' was always the correct solution, it's just that there's wasn't the money for it until now.

What? And here I've been wasting time peeling the stickers off my apples like a fool.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

What? And here I've been wasting time peeling the stickers off my apples like a fool.

They aren't edible just non toxic.

In other words it's going to taste like plastic and you'll poop them out :P

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I now have a lifelong ambition to poop out a turd with a perfectly placed fruit sticker on its side

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    :bigfrown:

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I now have a lifelong ambition to poop out a turd with a perfectly placed fruit sticker on its side

A friend of mine had a spaniel that did this with a mars bar, just written right on the side there

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Science has discovered what "well, actually" would look like in an animal form:

• Options
    "Look, bellbird. I don't know exactly how I'm going to tell you this. But while you were talking to that chick you had some....stuff hanging from your nose"

• Options
    The New York Times has more on the bellbird, and the jokes write themselves:
    Dr. Podos hopes to see whether such behavior actually helps male birds get mates.
    “We never saw copulation — we never saw what a really good male does,” he said. “The ones we saw might have just been losers.”

• Options
    Dr. Podos hopes to see whether such behavior actually helps male birds get mates.
    “We never saw copulation — we never saw what a really good male does,” he said. “The ones we saw might have just been losers.”

Dr. Podos?

The bellbirds are being studied by one of the ferrets from Beastmaster?!

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The comments? Or whatever it is called in Twitter land are fucking gold.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Dr. Podos?

The bellbirds are being studied by one of the ferrets from Beastmaster?!

Maybe it's your goal in life to be carried around in a leather bag by a half naked, oiled up barbarian in a loin cloth, but Dr. Podo had plans.

This discussion has been closed.