As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2B Or Not 2B [Nier: Automata]

1434445464749»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've been told the hardest part of hard mode is the start of the game. I actually still haven't made it to the first save point in the few times I tried that because godDAMN. What a difficulty spike.

I also realized it's been about a year since I played through the game in its entirety. Bless. Will always have fond memories of this experience and this thread really helped some of that out.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The intro is really the only point in the game where you'll be as far as you are from the ability to save (or even just recover your corpse, which is a thing you're only allowed to do after the intro) while so close to death. I wouldn't begrudge even a proper gitgudder dropping to Normal just for the intro sequence before going back to Hard.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Automata xover coming in the summer to Final Fantasy 14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfE8wngnQg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    every time I see Yoko Taro speak I can’t believe anyone let him make a video game

I can’t believe anyone let him in an office building

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    he's legit one of my favorite game devs

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Kingdom Hearts ain't got shit on Automata.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    He is a final fantasy, now.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    So I'm about two years late, but I've joined the "holy shit, this game" club. Sadly, I beat it a few days ago, so you don't get to see my increasingly shocked reactions as I play through it. I had a few theories I wanted to bounce off of everyone, but it's 2 am for me, so more of a tomorrow thing.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    How many endings have you seen

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

There is only one ending
    E

:P

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »

Everything but Y.
    No, I didn't do The Thing. Yet.

• Options
    So here's something I'm wondering. Route C spoilers.
    One thing I was wondering is why the machines in the Amusement Park and Pascal's Village went all zombie.

N2 and the Tower presumably had something to do with it, since the Amusement Park went bad shortly after one of the Resource things appear there. But Jackass' report suggests something else. It mentioned that the central objective in the Machine Core was to "defeat the enemy." So when machines find their "treasure" they disconnect from the network to find their own identity, like Pascal's villagers and the Forest King's knights. But what if the central objective doesn't go away? For most of the disconnected machines, they find a way to still be aggressive within the framework of their new ideology. The Forest King's knights are defending their territory and protecting their king, the religious machines want everyone to die and "become as gods," etc.

But the fair and village machines are completely non-aggressive. What if, after enough time, defying that core requirement is what caused them to revert to a mindless, aggressive form regardless of the network connection? The "children," presumably being newer produced machines, didn't have the time to go aggressive, and machines that reach a higher level of cognition, like Pascal and the first Forest King, are advanced enough to ignore the requirement, but otherwise, maybe the violence was inevitable?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    One thing I was wondering is why the machines in the Amusement Park and Pascal's Village went all zombie.

N2 and the Tower presumably had something to do with it, since the Amusement Park went bad shortly after one of the Resource things appear there. But Jackass' report suggests something else. It mentioned that the central objective in the Machine Core was to "defeat the enemy." So when machines find their "treasure" they disconnect from the network to find their own identity, like Pascal's villagers and the Forest King's knights. But what if the central objective doesn't go away? For most of the disconnected machines, they find a way to still be aggressive within the framework of their new ideology. The Forest King's knights are defending their territory and protecting their king, the religious machines want everyone to die and "become as gods," etc.

But the fair and village machines are completely non-aggressive. What if, after enough time, defying that core requirement is what caused them to revert to a mindless, aggressive form regardless of the network connection? The "children," presumably being newer produced machines, didn't have the time to go aggressive, and machines that reach a higher level of cognition, like Pascal and the first Forest King, are advanced enough to ignore the requirement, but otherwise, maybe the violence was inevitable?
    I can't speak to the amusement park ones, but I think Pascal's villiage just got old fashioned invaded by zombiebots, not turned into them.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Cosplay shenanigans but contains spoilers for anyone in progress or that hasn't finished the game yet.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    please don't post lewd images

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    The DLC photo in reply is the best thing.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

I can't speak to the amusement park ones, but I think Pascal's villiage just got old fashioned invaded by zombiebots, not turned into them.
    Maybe, there were some before the others, and a bunch didn't turn.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    With the Final Fantasy XIV collab happening (unbelievably), I finally, after starting this in 2017, finished the game. I cried after [E] credits, gonna admit it. 2B, 9S, A2, I really came to love those three.

Without a doubt my favourite game, period. Unlike so many games, it's an auteur product; this is Yoko Taro's vision, exactly as he intended it to be. It's a little flawed sometimes, a little rough here and there, but that's part of playing his game. This isn't some action game with a theme pasted over the top, but something created around the ideas it wants to express, examining them from different angles, and with every portion of the game (other than fishing) contributing to the whole in surprising ways. The music, art, its eerie world, and a general sense of the unknown in everything, it all added up into something I really think ought to be experienced for the ideas it presents about humanity.

I can't recommend this game highly enough.

Bravo, Yoko Taro.

Suriko on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Consider, for a moment, that Nier Automata almost didn't exist. Not because of delays, financial issues, or bugs, but purely because Yoko Taro doesn't like getting up early.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Wrong protagonist, dont care

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Wrong protagonist, dont care

Yeah if the Remake focuses completely on the Brother version but doesn't change much else... that will not be better.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    So, I thought I'd see how Automata game runs on PS5. On PS4 it was 900p and Pro was 1080p with AA, with both mostly hitting 60FPS but with drops and some hitching.

But before I even started, something weird is going on. I'll put it in spoilers since it involves the true ending

I still have the black screen, as I sent off my data to help someone else. But, I also have a game save file? I know for a fact that my save was deleted, I wouldn't have the black screen if not. And I just checked back in this thread, and the save is dated January 22nd 2018, a few days before I beat the game. In the save I'm after ending B, which is where I would have been then. I can't understand how a save made after the game wiped everything made it up into the PS+ save cloud, but it also has a game save from before that. It should be one or ther other. I guess it, cloud saved that old save, but never updated the cloud after I beat it? But then how do have the black screen? Odd.

But hey the game runs great at 1080p60 and I can't see any hitching or drops no matter how big a fight I get in to, though I only fiddled with it for half an hour. I'm not sure if the HDR always being on is having any effect. I read some games actually look worse with it on on PS5, but if it's doing anything it's not much.

EDIT - Not gonna bump for this, but, anyone got a spare $3000?

https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_GB/search/MASTERLINE

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    So, finally made it to this in my games backlog.

The story really undersells itself for about 20 hours, which feels like a crazy thing to have to say. The gameplay really carries what seems like the first half of this whole experience (all of route A, a good chunk of route B). I wonder how many people spent 15-20 hours playing Route A, and just walked away like, "Okay. Neat."

Because now I'm in (not finished) Route C, and... damn.

Oh, and yes I (early Route C)
    Fell in that goddamn pit.

Senna1 on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Everyone does, it seems like

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So I did Ending C, and got the DLC. And now I'm wondering if I actually want to grind to level 99 to do the DLC arenas and bonus fights, or if I want to go and finish the story. Problem is that I know enough about endings D and E to (spoilers)
    know that once I've done those, I'm out. So coming back later for the DLC stuff when I feel like grinding isn't much of an option.