As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I went to college with Mark. Love that he’s carving out a niche with his remake stuff.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I still kind of feel bad about helping Tarry Town happen. I discovered the area it'd be built on a long time before I started the quest, and thought this random shrine in the middle of a wooded, natural promenade was the coolest shit, that BotW was the sort of game that would just have something like that out there for you to stumble upon.

Learning that it was actually just a set piece that would be deforested and built over sucked a bit.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I still kind of feel bad about helping Tarry Town happen. I discovered the area it'd be built on a long time before I started the quest, and thought this random shrine in the middle of a wooded, natural promenade was the coolest shit, that BotW was the sort of game that would just have something like that out there for you to stumble upon.

Learning that it was actually just a set piece that would be deforested and built over sucked a bit.

It totally still is the kind of game that just has stuff like that out there for you to stumble upon, though.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Indeed, you stumbled upon it!

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Also, the Tarry Town questline is excellent.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I never found Tarrey Town.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    About 1/3 to halfway through my exploration of the map, I had run out of obvious shrines, towers, easier quests, etc, and I just slowly started looking things up until at the end I had a guide open at all times near the end there.

Which, more or less, is how I found Tarrey Town.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Aistan wrote: »
    I never found Tarrey Town.
    Tarrey Town is the friends we made along the way.

I'm not being facetious.

edited October 2019
    I never found Tarrey Town. Then again, I put over 100 hours into the game and apparently only competed 19%?! Yeah Nintendo, please don't make BotW2 another massive game. I just can't anymore.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I never found Tarrey Town. Then again, I put over 100 hours into the game and apparently only competed 19%?! Yeah Nintendo, please don't make BotW2 another massive game. I just can't anymore.

Most of that % is Koroks and not worth it.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

It totally still is the kind of game that just has stuff like that out there for you to stumble upon, though.

I mean, yeah, you don't need to defend BotW from me. It's definitely in like my top 3 for game of the decade. I was just musing on this one thing I ended up being faked out on :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't know about the house you could buy until maybe 3/4 the way through when a friend told me about it. He had found it immediately upon going to that town for the story quest.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah, Tarrey Town was one of the very first things I ended up doing in the game, because I found the house early, and if there's one thing I love, it's games where you get to build you own town.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    I probably would have enjoyed Tarrey Town if I had found it. Shame they made a game with all this cool stuff in it and then never told the player where any of it was.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I probably would have enjoyed Tarrey Town if I had found it. Shame they made a game with all this cool stuff in it and then never told the player where any of it was.

Ok, so…
    for real spoiler, in case you don’t actually know already:
    Tarrey Town doesn’t exist when the game begins, so you can only find the future site the inhabitants choose for it. Actually building Tarrey Town is a quest line you can pick up from one of the NPCs that you can buy a house from.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Ok, so…
    for real spoiler, in case you don’t actually know already:
    Tarrey Town doesn’t exist when the game begins, so you can only find the future site the inhabitants choose for it. Actually building Tarrey Town is a quest line you can pick up from one of the NPCs that you can buy a house from.

And it is only active after
    You buy the house, then talk to the character that's going to leave for Akkala.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Terry Town (or rather, the area that would become Terry Town) wasn't hard to find if you spent any reasonable time exploring the Akala region. It very much stands out geographically.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Rehab wrote: »
    Terry Town (or rather, the area that would become Terry Town) wasn't hard to find if you spent any reasonable time exploring the Akala region. It very much stands out geographically.

Yeah geographically it's built
    Pretty much next to the Fairy Fountain in Akala

Road Block on
    Oh I spent a ton of time up there. Even saw the site itself probably and thought "huh that's neat". But because I never saw the dude who starts it I didn't get to do the quest.

Breath of the Wild has a big open world and wants you to go out and find your own fun in it then barely does anything to lead you to any of it. I mean I don't want to complain about not finding the combat tutorial dungeon until several dozens of hours into the game again, but the game is that for the entire playtime.

Oh I spent a ton of time up there. Even saw the site itself probably and thought "huh that's neat". But because I never saw the dude who starts it I didn't get to do the quest.

Breath of the Wild has a big open world and wants you to go out and find your own fun in it then barely does anything to lead you to any of it. I mean I don't want to complain about not finding the combat tutorial dungeon until several dozens of hours into the game again, but the game is that for the entire playtime.

There's a combat tutorial dungeon?

Huh.

And yes, this is my biggest problem with the game, where quests would give you some random hint that you were supposed to puzzle out, and the quest marker would remain at the point of the quest instead of moving near to the point you were meant to go. I mean, it would have been nice if the marker moved even after you got closer to the quest point, it didn't need to be "glowing dot to move to" like other open world games, I get it. I know that some folks really hate that.

But BotW went out of its way to not tell you what to do, and sometimes it was just a wild (heheh) guess where to go.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    For me I never found that lady's shield surfing minigame on my own.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

There's a combat tutorial dungeon?

Huh.

There is a shrine in Kakariko Village. You fight a weak guardian scout and the game tells you how to do things like dodge and parry it's attacks.

NNID: Rehab0
    I never found the statue that lets you swap stamina/health, the horse god, the royal or stalhorse, the shield surfing minigame, and a whole lot more I only found out about listening to the Book of Madora BotW episodes.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    That heart/stamina swapping statue, I recall a kid leading you right to it if you agree to see to cool thing he found?

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I was watching the Completionist's review on Link's Awakening and was surprised that he mentioned a possible fix to the fps issues I haven't seen anywhere else online. He says to power down the switch completely and turn it back on before playing the game. Something about sleep mode and the system's RAM acting all weird if you never turn off your switch. Tried it myself and it does seem to eliminate the most noticeable frame hiccups.

You can hear his explanation around 7:25 in the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viA_cnvl74g

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    RE: missing stuff in BOTW

I spent about 150 unguided hours with the game, and I know there are a few minor things left in there waiting for me (because NPCs told me!!!! I Just haven't found it yet!), but I definitely feel like I saw the bulk of the game AND a fair amount of that time was me running in circles around the wilderness being an idiot and cooking weird stuff. BOTW is not guided and telegraphed on the level of a game like TP or OOT, but almost all of the notable finds in that game are telegraphed or an NPC will tell you about them or there are hints in the landscape...the game isn't obtuse in it's efforts to hide stuff, it wants you to go there! But there's a lot of stuff and not everyone has the 100+ hours it takes to see it all. So I think not seeing all the game has to offer is fine and in fact part of the charm of the game and a testament to how well populated the world map is, but I've also seen an uptick in opinions that the game is "too free form" compared to previous entries etc. and I think that's all just wrong! (Obviously this is all very subjective, opinions, etc.)

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    BotW has far better signposting than OoT and I will die on this hill.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    BotW has far better signposting than OoT and I will die on this hill.

I dunno, I found almost everything in OOT without any assistance. There were loads of things in BotW that they seemed to think they'd been "red text" obvious about where I still had to look it up.

Then again, OOT's world was small enough that even if a riddle wasn't easy, it wasn't hard to puzzle it out.

I'm still pissed about the Jabu Jabu fish thing, tbh. That's some old-school adventure game logic and stonewalled me so early in the game it left an awful taste in my mouth.

Not helped by the fact that when I looked it up and did it, I got rewarded with a pretty dang bad dungeon.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    so playing through Links Awekening which i've never played before. I had to use help on the eagle tower because my brain refused to come up with the solution to one of the pillars. Finally got to turtle rock and i'm close to getting the boss key and i am short a key and everywhere on my map is filled in except the rooms behind the door that i need the key...cripes.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    so playing through Links Awekening which i've never played before. I had to use help on the eagle tower because my brain refused to come up with the solution to one of the pillars. Finally got to turtle rock and i'm close to getting the boss key and i am short a key and everywhere on my map is filled in except the rooms behind the door that i need the key...cripes.

Turtle Rock has a lot of bomb walls to get around. Maybe you missed some?

edited October 2019
    Walked into my daughter's room and saw this...

fudbniz20vgq.jpg

....seems legit.
    qck0m9opxkv5.jpg
    k2inieohf719.jpg
    38cbyzrugla8.jpg

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I took a hard stance on BOTW regarding guides, let's plays or anything that would ruin a surprise.

I wanted to discover everything for myself, and only looked up small things like the proper technique for taming horses. Near the end, I needed a little help finding the last 5 or 10 shrines. Very satisfying.

On the other hand, I'm now playing Oracle of Ages for the first time and I need my hand to be held here.

In theory, it should be easy: can't find the way? Change the time period!

In practice, I'm finding it annoying and am using a guide pretty much immediately.

I had Oracle of Seasons when it was new, I don't remember having this issue just finding out where to go.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I think it's because you can run into anywhere at anytime in BotW that allows you to not need guides. No matter where you go, even if completely lost and off the map, you may run into an npc or shrine or miniboss. You never feel "stuck".

The oracle games on the other hand (and this may be tainted because I didn't care for them) felt more limited and single-path where if you didn't know where you needed to go or what to do, you just stopped dead. I haven't played them recently, so this is just old memories from way back then.

I just started my second play through of BotW last night. Technically I started a second play on the WiiU, but it broke and now I'm borrowing a switch cart. May need to get the DLC because I want that horse armor ASAP. (How crazy is that?) Rushed the plateau so I could get off and have full exploration ability. May go back and explore it later because I followed the story beats the first time I played, and never really explored it until the DLC content sends you back and there's a lot I never saw.
    Love this game. I spent the whole plateau with a stick and shorts, killing about 5 bokoblins because they got in my way. Just perfect flexibility in game play.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    I just watched the Unraveled video in which Brian David Gilbert assembles the definitive Zelda timeline:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-25c8Rsobw
    Have our resident Zelda scholars weighed in on this? The video's a year old by now, so it's possible that a conversation happened and I missed it.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

That must have taken amazing restraint.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Both A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time came out on this day in 1991 and 1998 respectively. Both are considered to be in the top-5 Zelda titles of all-time. Happy 28th and 21st anniversaries!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    November 21st is the Japanese release, it came out on the 23rd in North America.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.