As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who Watches HBO's [Watchmen]?

PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, manAh, jeezRegistered User regular
We do, presumably!

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I tempered my expectations going in but that first episode was surprisingly good!

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    this Lindelof guy sure seems like he can write TV I tell you what

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Man some exceptionally confident world building.

Also all about some half assed schlubby superheroes who barely tried on costumes

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    When they said "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" I leaned in and whispered "That's Watchmen"

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Man some exceptionally confident world building.

Also all about some half assed schlubby superheroes who barely tried on costumes

love a show that can just casually show a guy seriously asking questions about the nature of lethal force in policing while wearing a giant panda head and goes "these two things are just as important, keep up motherfucker"

6F32U1X.png
    so, okay, some world building questions based on some asides in the pilot
    first of all, it seems like ALL firearms were restricted by Redford? I’m wondering how much of that had to do with the cops getting attacked on White Night, where they weren’t able to defend themselves? just spitballing there, though

the squid storms are probably from Veidt trying to keep the illusion alive

and Veidt’s servants are...clones, or genetically engineered, probably? seems like the logical conclusion from the genetic engineering he did in the book

maaaan there’s a lot going on here

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    That cold open, which centers real-life superhero Bass Reeves AND the Tulsa race riot, was incredible

What it didn't outright say, but seems like MIGHT be relevant in the long term, is that the plane flying overhead was flown by cops, and the cops were dropping firebombs on an affluent black community.

I think this show's gonna go to some weird, interesting places

(Also it's weird that this is Tulsa, whose northeast quadrant overlaps with the Cherokee Nation, and we haven't seen ANY indigenous people, but whatever.

Well, that one kid might be native. Seems like he and his sister were both adopted. We'll see.)

while I was watching it I felt almost a little underwhelmed since the hype from the critics I follow had been SO huge

but gosh this is sitting in the ol' brainbox real well and has gone up in my estimation with basically every passing second

6F32U1X.png
    One bit of candy for TV nerds is that Lindelof wanted to do a certain thing in the Lost pilot, and backed off from it, but did it here

Oh shit I hadn’t made that connection

aGPmIBD.jpg
    One bit of candy for TV nerds is that Lindelof wanted to do a certain thing in the Lost pilot, and backed off from it, but did it here

I am forgetting what this is in reference to
    originally wanting Jack to die, and now putting that on Don Johnson?

also new question is if this should just be an open spoilers thread cause there's gonna be A LOT TO TALK ABOUT

6F32U1X.png
    re: the end of ep 1
    so as far as the old guy who claims he killed Judd goes

nobody in the Watchmen universe has superpowers other than Dr Manhattan, right? there’s no way he’s somehow a superhero?

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I take it that Veidt's
    Squid story has mostly held up so far based on the interrogation question "Do you believe interdimensional attacks are a hoax by the government?"
    Also is her kid's model
    the same as the buildings Manhattan manifests on Mars?
    Kind of in a waiting pattern on where things are going as far as white supremacy v police story.

akajaybay on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

nobody in the Watchmen universe has superpowers other than Dr Manhattan, right? there’s no way he’s somehow a superhero?
    there were implications of potential psychic stuff in the GN but it was purposefully very ambiguous

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

As far as is known, no. That's why
    it's met with skepticism almost immediately that 1) he did it and 2) he did it alone

I appreciate that a probable percentage of the drive behind this show was Lindelof going "man, Regina King kinda got left out of the final season of The Leftovers, better get her something good to make up for it"

6F32U1X.png
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    So Don Johnson
    is he Nite Owl? Would the ages work? He's got the ship, there's an owl mug in his office, a former vigilante becoming the police chief makes sense and it ties into the comic with his death kicking off a whole load of shit.

Anyway, loved the pilot, in for this shit. And it's gonna be super fucking weird because I live in Tulsa!

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So, uhhh, the interdimensional attacks are a hoax though

So
    Veidt definitely faked his death huh? Saw a newspaper headline saying he died very briefly.

Also I imagine the Kalvary uses the New Frontier publishing Rorschach’s journals as gospel basically

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Is this going off the movie ending with Dr.Manhattan or the comic ending with the creature?

Comic ending. Lot of squid signs and the squid rain

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I’m not watching, but respectfully, very curious about the consensus once the show’s like three episodes deep.

Sleep wrote: »

Like you guys get what that possibly means we're headed towards with the kalvalry holding this as a core tenant right?

Like there's a potential, "the kalvalry are right", path we might get walked down here that I'm not totally interested in.

Gustav wrote: »
    So
    Veidt definitely faked his death huh? Saw a newspaper headline saying he died very briefly.

Also I imagine the Kalvary uses the New Frontier publishing Rorschach’s journals as gospel basically
    The headline said he was declared LEGALLY dead, which implies a "death in absentia" situation. I think he just disappeared.

I highly doubt we are getting the Kalvary is good angle at all.

I highly suspect that we are getting the cops are not on the level either though.

aGPmIBD.jpg

Like you guys get what that possibly means we're headed towards with the kalvalry holding this as a core tenant right?

Like there's a potential, "the kalvalry are right", path we might get walked down here that I'm not totally interested in.

Having them be right about one thing but that not excusing their monstrous behavior/other beliefs would completely fit with the nature of their founder

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I have the feeling that the officer Involved shooting at the start of this episode wasn’t just an accident.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Having them be right about one thing but that not excusing their monstrous behavior/other beliefs would completely fit with the nature of their founder

The status quo is horrible but the rebels are monsters is 100 percent in line with Watchmen’s world view. That’s especially true when talking about Veidt and Rorschach.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    So this show takes place in the present time, but the rad Carpenter-esque soundtrack keeps tugging at my brainsponge and placing it back in the 80s (which is when the original Watchmen took place in). I dunno if that's intentional or not, but it does give a strange, discombobulated feeling to it, at least to me.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    When the soundtrack came on I immediately thought "this sounds a lot like Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross"

Lo and behold, Reznor/Ross in the credits

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    So this show takes place in the present time, but the rad Carpenter-esque soundtrack keeps tugging at my brainsponge and placing it back in the 80s (which is when the original Watchmen took place in). I dunno if that's intentional or not, but it does give a strange, discombobulated feeling to it, at least to me.

Nothing is more late 2010s than an 80s synthpop soundtrack.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That shot at the end of the cold open with the kid standing there is going to stick with me for awhile.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    So Don Johnson
    is he Nite Owl? Would the ages work? He's got the ship, there's an owl mug in his office, a former vigilante becoming the police chief makes sense and it ties into the comic with his death kicking off a whole load of shit.

Anyway, loved the pilot, in for this shit. And it's gonna be super fucking weird because I live in Tulsa!

I took it as
    Nite Owl provided some ships or the specs for the ships to the police. It went by quick but it had police markings on it and stuff. It's possible though. I would think if it were actually his he'd have piloted.

Something I missed entirely and feel foolish for:
    Seventh Cavalry was Custer's unit.

Okay, I am now mollified about the show's thus-far lack of native shit. There's no way it's not coming.

And with subtitles they are running it as Seventh Kalvary.

Also the images of Custer popped up in the interrogation pod when Looking Glass said it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    The pod was a super dystopia move just thoroughly unsettling. I dig it.

The AV Club's writeup on the pilot is very, very good. Caught a lot of shit I didn't, has a unique perspective on stuff. It feels like oldschool AVClub, which I intend as a large compliment. Their TV coverage has been trending towards recap, but this is actual deep-dive criticism. I'd nearly forgotten how much I miss it.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The idea that this show is unashamedly pro-cop seems to be gaining some traction and I'm having a real tough time seeing why

DJ Eebs wrote: »
    The idea that this show is unashamedly pro-cop seems to be gaining some traction and I'm having a real tough time seeing why
    The Seventh Kalvary video essentially mirroring the cops watching it seemed like a giveaway to me

and I dunno. The extrajudicial kidnapping and torture.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

The only thing I can think is if you lack the subtlety to understand gray and think that every show has a black and white good guy and a bad guy... Well, the cops were technically the good guys?