As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat UTI Problems

user2629366user2629366 Registered User new member
My 3y/o male cat was diagnosed with a UTI on September 22nd. That visit he got the Convenia shot. The last time he was in (oct. 10) the vet said his urine was basically clear/normal besides a little bacteria so he gave him a two week pill prescription of Zeniquin. He only has about 2/3 pills left and he is still urinating in inappropriate places. He gets wet food every morning with some powder we ordered online to help it go away, he has dry kibble thats specifically for uti’s, and he always has fresh water. I don’t know if he turned it into a behavioral thing since its been almost a month, or if it got worse. I may take him to a different vet for a second opinion because my other cat also has a uti and when they gave her the convenia shot shes been worse since then and formed diabetic symptoms and now needs insulin twice a day which shes never needed before. Should I change the litter to see if he’s associating that with pain? I bought a new box to see if thatd work but dumb me bought the same litter instead of changing it.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    You'll want to ask your vet about this, but back when one of our cats (also 3 yo at the time) had a UTI, the vet said that for a cat that young to get a UTI it was usually a sign of something other than just a UTI. Our vet suggested anxiety, and since our cat actually displays signs of anxiety we tried anti-anxiety medication before the antibiotics. Now in our case that turned out to be wrong and the antibiotics were the actual right call, but this is something you might get into with your vet.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I actually just had to drop off my other cat for more testing and I talked to her about it. I was told to go ahead and try to change the litter, finish his antibiotics, and if he’s still urinating everywhere to take him back. I’ll ask about doing bloodwork the next time he’s in but she said that the urinalysis was mostly clear besides a couple of bacteria sediments but no signs of stones or anything. Our old cat food is what gave both our cats the UTI and neither of them can seem to get rid of it.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Nothing we can tell you will help as far as diagnosis. You need to talk with a vet. It could be anything from him developing crystals (a precursor to stones) to a symptom of a totally different issue, to bacteria from him licking himself getting in there due to some twist of fate.

What I can recommend is picking up a 6ft x 4ft x 4ft dog kennel crate while he is frequently urinating. When a male cat gets spastic from a UTI, they will pee on everything, often by accident, while standing. And unless you know what they peed on you will have a hard as hell time cleaning up and getting your home back to normal. A large dog crate will give the cat enough room to wait it out comfortably for a day or two while tests are being done and give them a comfy place to wait it out.

• Options
    I actually have a decent sized closet that I’m keeping him in and I have the entire floor in there covered with puppy pads so I can see how often he is urinating. I may or may not put a cone on him to stop him from licking himself.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it could be an associative thing. the uti hurt when he peed in the box, so using the box means pain.

camo_sig.png