As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

AridholAridhol Daddliest CatchRegistered User regular
edited March 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
Swash is missing in action so I'll do my best.

Canada is a massive country full of amazing people who sometimes hate each other. These are there stories.

There is an election happening today and we will see if Canada can stem the tide of right wing populism or if we'll fall for cheap gas and lower taxes.

Who is in the mix?

Liberal:
Justin Trudeau

The incumbent. Broke a few promise but the country has marched along reasonably well under his tenure.
Centre-left, pro pipeline, provide jobs and take care of families

adc9ntnl8c42.jpg

Conservative (CPC)
Andrew Scheer

Conservative Automaton built to lower your taxes and cut spending on everything Canadians need. What Indigenous people? Oil is good. Lies a bunch.

ymdn2yx369ys.jpg

NDP:
Jagmeet Singh

Just started campaigning this week. Workers rights, environmental protection, green jobs, No chance at forming govt.

jqgdn53f1yc5.jpg

Green:
Elizabeth May

The environment stupid. Green jobs, environmental focus, leave the oil in the ground, no piplelines,.

ww6eb2rpzifv.jpg

PPC:
Maxime Bernier

Anti immigration, scared of new people who don't "act Canadian", not much policy outside of keeping Canada White.

6743aedeeayi.jpg

Bloc:
Yves-François Blanchet

Who gives a shit.
6qcg8zxzjejb.jpg

Regardless of your political interest or persuasion, GO VOTE. Don't waste the opportunity you have been given.

Aridhol on

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Trying to determine if omitting Scheer was a deliberate decision or not

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Bonus points for Letterkenny references!

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I mean, if we end up with that formal NDP-Liberal coalition that was floated as a possibility a few weeks ago, wouldn't that give the NDP a small technical chance at forming government?

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    In the same way my hand has a small chance in forming my body, I suppose

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    I mean, if we end up with that formal NDP-Liberal coalition that was floated as a possibility a few weeks ago, wouldn't that give the NDP a small technical chance at forming government?

It would be liberal led. There is zero chance of a NDP prime minister.

I voted with the wife and kids this morning and it was completely dead. Like no one but us dead.
    I hope that is not indicative for turnout.
    Voted Liberal and I think I convinced my wife but she's probably lying to me and voted NDP like always.

Aridhol on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I think an Liberal-NDP coalition/supply agreement would be my preferred outcome. Wouldn't mind if they had to bring the Greens into the mix too, but not likely to be necessary. I do wonder in a coalition, how many cabinet posts the NDP would be looking at, and which ones they would want to have.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I think an Liberal-NDP coalition/supply agreement would be my preferred outcome. Wouldn't mind if they had to bring the Greens into the mix too, but not likely to be necessary. I do wonder in a coalition, how many cabinet posts the NDP would be looking at, and which ones they would want to have.

I suspect environment and labour would be towards the top of the list of desired cabinet posts, along with economic development, and probably multiculturalism. It would probably suit the Liberals to give them aboriginal affairs as well, but that’s because of the strong possibility that it could be a poison pill.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Voted this morning, first thing. The polling station was busy with all the boxes having people at them when I arrived.

Hopefully they weren’t all voting CPC.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I voted first thing this morning, and there was already a line. Hell, I beat the Liberal Volunteers that were putting a 'remember to vote' sticker on my door, because I registered with them.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Andrew Scheer really reminds me of Uncle Fester.

• Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    I voted on my way to work. I live in Elizabeth May's riding (Saanich-Gulf Islands), so I doubt my vote will tip the scales in any particular direction, but there has been a fairly strong Conservative presence here in the past, so I'm not taking things for granted.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Andrew Scheer out campaigning on the airwaves this morning:

"But Mr. Scheer, when asked why you're spreading false information about your opponents, like among other false statements, saying the Liberals will decriminalise hard drugs, and saying that the Liberals and NDP will raise GST, when they say that's a lie, you can't draw conclusions when the hard facts don't back up what your saying. So, you've explained your reasoning to Canadians but my question to you this morning is: how do you explain to your five children, from toddler to teenage, that it is OK to lead a dirty campaign based on information that is not entirely true, and constant attacks on your opponents?"

"Well, of course I reject the premise of that question."

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Andrew Scheer out campaigning on the airwaves this morning:

"But Mr. Scheer, when asked why you're spreading false information about your opponents, like among other false statements, saying the Liberals will decriminalise hard drugs, and saying that the Liberals and NDP will raise GST, when they say that's a lie, you can't draw conclusions when the hard facts don't back up what your saying. So, you've explained your reasoning to Canadians but my question to you this morning is: how do you explain to your five children, from toddler to teenage, that it is OK to lead a dirty campaign based on information that is not entirely true, and constant attacks on your opponents?"

"Well, of course I reject the premise of that question."

Man I want to punch that weasel faced little prick

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    I went and voted and was very disappointed. Literally no one there but us.
    I'm hoping it's just too early :/

Well, whatever happens I love you all and I hope we end up with a govt. that stems the tide of populism and hate.

What are people's go to sources for election coverage?

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Well, whatever happens I love you all and I hope we end up with a govt. that stems the tide of populism and hate.

The bottom of a bottle until the next morning.. then I turn on the computer and will find out who won.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    9 and a half hours left to vote in Ontario!

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

Isn't the most likely outcome either a Liberal Government or Liberal Coalition? I mean, of course nothing is a given, but still

edited October 2019
    moniker wrote: »

Isn't the most likely outcome either a Liberal Government or Liberal Coalition? I mean, of course nothing is a given, but still

Well, yes, but Canadian polling is shit so I won't rule out a CPC gov't. I am hoping that we end up with stability but I won't bank on in 2019.

Aridhol on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Best of luck, folks. I'll be rooting for you.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

the CBC website usually has a pretty good live tracker if you want to give your heart rate a few good spikes this evening.

steam_sig.png
    Daimar wrote: »

the CBC website usually has a pretty good live tracker if you want to give your heart rate a few good spikes this evening.

I'm a sadist. I'll put on talk radio, CBC and twitter.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I'll try to hold out as long as I can before checking, so that I don't stress myself out too much with inconclusive early results.
    Which means I'll probably check by 8:05 pm Atlantic time.

When do the polls close in the Maritimes?

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I forget, do they still withhold the Maritime results until after the BC polls close?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I thought voting hours were aligned throughout the nation?

sig.gif
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    I forget, do they still withhold the Maritime results until after the BC polls close?

No, it's all fair game as soon as the polls close. Closing times are staggered so most provinces all end at the same time... we get the Atlantic preview and Pacific postscript.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Voting Hours Across Canada:

https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=faq&dir=votinghours&document=index&lang=e

:so_raven:
    edited October 2019

It looks like 8:30 pm Atlantic (thanks for the link, Corvus). I had assumed 8:00.

It does look like they've staggered them, so Quebec to Alberta will mostly close at the same time.

Edit: So we'll get Newfoundland (8:30 NFLD time, 7:00 eastern), then half an hour later we get the Maritimes. Then two hours after that we get Quebec to Alberta. Half an hour after that, BC.

TubularLuggage on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    That seems odd rather than just having a consistent 8:30-8:30 local time (or whatever) and just embargo results if you want to release them at the same time

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'll try to hold out as long as I can before checking, so that I don't stress myself out too much with inconclusive early results.
    My partner is working the polls today, so she'll be out until late-o'clock. Want to grab a beer? XD

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    That seems odd rather than just having a consistent 8:30-8:30 local time (or whatever) and just embargo results if you want to release them at the same time

They tried that... back in the Chrétien era I think. IIRC it got shot down as a violation of freedom of the press.

sig.gif
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I voted for the Liberal incumbent in a riding that has gone Liberal I believe literally forever.

...and if I wake up in the morning tomorrow to Prime Minister Sheer, I will be SO sad.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    while trying to fix a web account issue on Saturday Shaw accidentally broke my TV Boxes and now I don't have TV anymore.

It is now Monday and we still have no TV.

I barely watch TV anymore so if i can't watch election stuff tonight i'm going to be so fucking pissed

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I’ll probably just wake up tomorrow and find out who my new bosses are rather than worrying myself all evening.

The last time I spent my evening in front of a screen watching an election was 2016. Didn’t feel like watching a horror that night. Think I’ll watch a proper horror movie this evening to steel my nerves.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    My partner is working the polls today, so she'll be out until late-o'clock. Want to grab a beer? XD

That's not a bad idea.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Pretty sure my riding is switching from Liberal to NDP today.

Overall, I got them nerves...

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Going to go vote after work, go home and ignore the election until 1AM.

I suggest emotionally preparing yourself for a CPC majority so that no matter what happens, it will never be worse than that.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • talmeirtalmeir Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    I voted for the Liberal incumbent in a riding that has gone Liberal I believe literally forever.

...and if I wake up in the morning tomorrow to Prime Minister Sheer, I will be SO sad.

... Is this when I tell you how I voted? :biggrin: Honestly, in our riding it is pretty much locked down. Granted that polling in Canada is not the most reliable (regionalism? bias?), the most likely outcomes are a) Conservative minority, or b) Liberal minority. I don't see any official coalition forming - modern politicians are generally allergic to other flavours of Kool-Aid.

I don't want a majority government of any kind, at this point. I do know that House of Commons is going to be a cesspit for the next little while. *sigh*

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    No chance for anything but conservative in rural Sask. Makes voting feel bad and a waste of time.