As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Outer Worlds] Like New Vegas but with the color green

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited October 2019 in Games and Technology
vEugB2wh.png

Come to Halcyon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXgd_8rtZ2M

I just found out about this game last night and it's like catnip for me. The Outer Worlds is a role playing game by Obsidian, creators of best Fallout. Travel between colonies on alien worlds using wit, stealth, guns, brawn, or whatever else you want to survive.

Game trailers show it rife with crazy weapons. The creators emphasized they focused on multiple approached for nearly every main story quest. It's got a fun aesthetic that reminds me of Bioshock mixed with The Old Republic.

The only downside is my wife is a fiend for games with good stories, loved new Vegas, and I'm probably about to lose my PS4.

I am excited for this game.

Quid on

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Thread title: seriously. I'm really excited about the pedigree and concept, but this seems to have fallen off the radar.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Thread title: seriously. I'm really excited about the pedigree and concept, but this seems to have fallen off the radar.

My wife was jonesing for a new game to play and just happened to stumble across it. It's crazy to me how little notice an Obsidian RPG seems to be getting.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Wow, I was vaguely aware of this but not that it was this soon.

I was just thinking of doing another new vegas run, too.

I wonder if I should wait a bit though... I tend to play these games when they come out, then never play the DLC because I don’t feel like playing through the main game again - still haven’t played through the last couple of POE2 DLC, Old world blues, or Nuka World for Fallout 4 for this reason.

Jealous Deva on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    When people found out it was Epic exclusive interest kinda took a nose dive.

I admit I am waiting patiently for the Steam release. Game looks dope. Hopefully it is dope.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Got it pre-loaded on my Xbox. Game Pass day one? Well, it'd be rude not to check it out, right? :)

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

My wife was jonesing for a new game to play and just happened to stumble across it. It's crazy to me how little notice an Obsidian RPG seems to be getting.

It is sort of a AA game, they’ve said themselves it doesn’t have the scope or budget of New Vegas (let alone the license).

This is definitely a bigger thing than all the isometric stuff they’ve done recently, though, and possibly a precursor to the Microsoft buyout and the resources from that which could benefit them down the road.

I will probably check it out. In fallout I always made a high speech/science/energy weapons character, and it seems like you can more or less do that here.

Quick look, with the devs:

https://youtu.be/_GFrZgko5pw

Launch trailer:

https://youtu.be/EPbrKXda6RI

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    When people found out it was Epic exclusive interest kinda took a nose dive.

I admit I am waiting patiently for the Steam release. Game looks dope. Hopefully it is dope.

I was about to do the same, but it's on the Microsoft Windows store too. It's also available in their Gamepass thingy, which means for $1 I can play it for a month. That's certainly cheap enough for me to try out, and it completely avoids EGS.

• Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I’m super jazzed for this one. Seems to be the spiritual successor to both New Vegas and Mass Effect, and I need something to tide me over until Cyberpunk and Bloodlines 2.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Any reviews? Seems weird to not have any four days from release.

Maybe next week.

edited October 2019
    22nd is the embargo supposedly

There’s been some previews, like the giant bomb thing

Alucard6986 on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

I've watched a youtube not-quite-an-LP of it. It looked pretty interesting and it's got my attention.Whoops...wrong game. Too many The Outer W-word games...

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Dunno how accurate this is to the final game but here is a character build planner

https://nukesdragons.com/outer-worlds/character

@jdarksun

https://youtu.be/PY5rZkE8oaI

This guy has a good review. There are definite shortcomings but the RPG aspect is ace.

• Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    That was a super helpful "non-review" and actually confirms that this is a game for me. I like this style of game a ton but generally wait years to buy them because Bethesda makes such buggy and broken games. Current builds shown seem pretty stable.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm definitely getting this game on launch, it looks really good

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    That was a super helpful "non-review" and actually confirms that this is a game for me. I like this style of game a ton but generally wait years to buy them because Bethesda makes such buggy and broken games. Current builds shown seem pretty stable.

You're in luck because it isn't a Bethesda product!

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    One day I'll remember which one is Outer Worlds and which one is Outer Wilds.

Boy, I bet Outer Wilds is glad they came to market first, huh?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I'm definitely getting this game on launch, it looks really good

I bought it on the PlayStation store.

Now to play the waiting game.

• RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I am getting this at launch. I'm still playing Borderlands 3 so it will crunch my playtime some. I avoided spoilers other than the trailer because I want to go in ignorant but I'm pretty pumped. It looks like it will be worth replaying to try different quest methods and I love games worth a second playthrough.

as an aside I have some friends who refuse to load the Epic store. I've picked up a ton of free games from their weekly giveaway I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise. Operencia stands out. I don't really understand their position.

They gave away surviving mars. I know its a blatant bribe and they are just loss-leading, but Surviving Mars

I used the epic store for outer wilds back when it was exclusive, it did not kill me

But I will probably grab this on PSN.

I really like the Epic store. They give away games every couple weeks, so I just log in and grab the free stuff. Including Surviving Mars! But I'm also playing Satisfactory and Control.

But I'm grabbing Outer Worlds through Xbox Game Pass on PC, because, $1. Come on.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular

It is sort of a AA game, they’ve said themselves it doesn’t have the scope or budget of New Vegas (let alone the license).

This is definitely a bigger thing than all the isometric stuff they’ve done recently, though, and possibly a precursor to the Microsoft buyout and the resources from that which could benefit them down the road.

I will probably check it out. In fallout I always made a high speech/science/energy weapons character, and it seems like you can more or less do that here.

Launch trailer:

Quick look -> Over one hour long.

Something doesn't seem right here...

I was intrigued by the trailer and heard the Xbox Game Pass basically adds the game pass to all your existing Gold account time for $1 so I figured I'd pick that up and try this out. The trailer looked like a weird mix of Fallout, Borderlands and Bioshock. Which I figured had a decent chance of being good.

Plus it's by the New Vegas people who had the best modern Fallout.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I hope many more people end up playing Outer Wilds on accident because of this game

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Launch trailer:

Quick look -> Over one hour long.

Something doesn't seem right here...

I was intrigued by the trailer and heard the Xbox Game Pass basically adds the game pass to all your existing Gold account time for $1 so I figured I'd pick that up and try this out. The trailer looked like a weird mix of Fallout, Borderlands and Bioshock. Which I figured had a decent chance of being good.

That's the one-time ultimate game pass upgrade, which merges your existing (console) Game Pass subscription time along with Xbox Live Gold subscription time into console+PC game pass (as they are technically separate now). So, 6 months of Xbox Live gold + 6 months of Game Pass running concurrently + $1 becomes 1 year of Game Pass Ultimate. 2 months of Gold and 0 months of Game Pass become 2 months of Game Pass Ultimate (unless they changed that).

For anyone else who's wondering how the upgrade works. There's an explanation in the first post of the Xbox thread too.

Yes, it is super-complicated. Yes, the names don't help. Yes, it is a absurdly good deal that only exists because, like Netflix, Disney+, etc., Microsoft assumes you'll forget to turn-off auto-renewal or won't care by then.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular

I think there's a good amount of New Vegas people on this game, but the leads are Fallout OG folks through and through.

With that said the game is apparently good.
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I really like the Epic store. They give away games every couple weeks, so I just log in and grab the free stuff. Including Surviving Mars! But I'm also playing Satisfactory and Control.

But I'm grabbing Outer Worlds through Xbox Game Pass on PC, because, $1. Come on.

Yeah I'll be getting this on PC too; the 60FPS gameplay they've shown looks really good.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    The ArsTechnica review is out . Apparently, it's everything it was billed to be, a classic Obsidian RPG in the vein of New Vegas.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Complaining that Giant Bomb Quick Looks take too long is a tale as old as time

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited October 2019
    The reviews that are dropping are really great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTWpSNELLok

"Obsidian, a developer that's made sequels to both BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic, and Bethesda's Fallout 3, has merged these two distinctive flavors and they taste great together. I wouldn't quite call this space frontier themed adventures the best of both worlds, but it's a creative and well-made take that's both familiar and new all at once."

jdarksun on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So I am told this is gonna be on PC game pass as well? I have game pass Ultimate, so I should be good to download and go on friday? And perhaps earlier, if I can preload it?

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So I am told this is gonna be on PC game pass as well? I have game pass Ultimate, so I should be good to download and go on friday? And perhaps earlier, if I can preload it?

It releases at 7PM EDT on Thursday. So you can of course get it Friday as well. And yes the preload is already up. 37GB.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    It's at 86 on Metacritic right now, which is even better than New Vegas. (On that one Bethesda screwed them out of a bonus tied to a Metacritic goal they missed by one point, if I'm remembering right.)

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Complaining that Giant Bomb Quick Looks take too long is a tale as old as time

Time to reset the clock!!

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Gonna have to comb through the reviews to see how it runs on a base PS4. Very excited to give this a spin but just a titch hesitant given Obsidians general history with launch performance issues.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    Gonna have to comb through the reviews to see how it runs on a base PS4. Very excited to give this a spin but just a titch hesitant given Obsidians general history with launch performance issues.

Given there's a Switch version, I'd guess the base PS4 isn't the platform to worry about.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I wouldnt mind if Obsidian took over the Skyrim/Fallout genre because good lord, Bethesda refuses to stop using that crap engine and it feels like they arent really trying anymore.

What engine is Outer Worlds running on?

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Unreal 4

edited October 2019
    I think it's safe to say this is gonna be great. Thanks to my buddy Erin The Red for showing me this tweet!

jdarksun on
    edited October 2019
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind if Obsidian took over the Skyrim/Fallout genre because good lord, Bethesda refuses to stop using that crap engine and it feels like they arent really trying anymore.

What engine is Outer Worlds running on?

Nah, Bethsoft just needs to stop doing Fallout stuff and return to Elder Scrolls which is what they are actually good at.

They would have been a lot better off if they had just punted Fallout 4 off to Obsidian or some other competent developer and done two more TES games based on the Skyrim Engine instead.

Jealous Deva on