As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

DirtyDirty Registered User regular
edited April 2021 in Games and Technology
-

Dirty on

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The surge 2 also dropped this month. I was excited about it since I enjoyed the first and thought there was a lot of potential for a series. Apparently they didn't really learn anything between the games though. I still will probably pick it up on sale but these are busy times and it slipped down the queue. Hopefully Nioh 2 can give me another souls experience and improve on the first. Personally still hyped for Doom and not much else this year.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm a million hyped for Doom, and maybe in for Modern Warfare. Don't know of anything else coming this year that I'm in for. I'll probably pick up Code Vein on the cheap eventually? I guess I'm curious to see more about The Outer Worlds. None of those are exclusives though heh.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    My PSN is pretty easy, RidleySaria. I don’t play too many games online. Mostly Borderlands and occasionally Diablo 3, Don’t Starve or Dragon’s Crown.

Not really in to the competitive stuff.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'm Stabbity_Style on PSN, but yeah, I don't really play any multiplayer stuff. Mostly just the single player console exclusives and whatever PS+ games I happen to get.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Hey, there's some good PS news for Android users. Remote Play is coming this week to all Android phones/tablets running 5.0 or higher (and is no longer exclusive to Sony brand phones). I know this has been available on iPhone/iPad for a while now, but not all of us are the cool kids with the Apple products.

This is also part of firmware 7.00 coming out of beta into official release. The only other notable feature is the changes to Party Chat. More people in chat, better audio quality, and in the US only, chat transcription.

edit: I did overlook some bad news. While you only need Android 5.0 to use Remote Play, you need to be Android 10 to use your Dual Shock 4 via bluetooth. So apparently, I'm still not fancy enough for proper support. I don't even get why the requirement is so high.

Dirty on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    PSN handle is Witchsight, sometimes I can be convinced to Apex but I am best as a meat shield.
    Honestly its been a relief to go back to single player games lately. No one is trying to murder me and loot my corpse, its quite lovely.

I picked up Hand of Fate 2 last week when it was half price, kind of like a deck building faux-boardgame set in your generic fantasy realm. Its been fun actually!
    Ive got my eye on Armello now too, apparently it goes on sale quite often, and has the same sort of board game style gameplay... But with anthropomorphic woodland creatures. Win win!

Witchsight.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Armello is fun stuff as long as you go in knowing it's entirely random.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    So Indivisible came out today and is good!

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »

I'm anxious to hear more about the supposed technical issues with quiet audio and stuttering. Also, the let's plays I've seen sure make it seem like it takes a long time to whittle down monsters(that seems fine), while the monsters do piddling damage against the players so it looks awfully easy.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Shenl742 wrote: »

I'm anxious to hear more about the supposed technical issues with quiet audio and stuttering. Also, the let's plays I've seen sure make it seem like it takes a long time to whittle down monsters(that seems fine), while the monsters do piddling damage against the players so it looks awfully easy.

The damage is only piddling if you time your blocks properly, otherwise you get wrecked.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Yeah it feels a little unbalanced at first. Learning how to perfect to block and upgrading your attack/defense with these red stone collectibles really expand your options. And beating the boss in the third area also tripled the bars of my super meter, which should give some added fun.
    Also, every character you recruit has their own special mechanics/quarks. And learning them really helps

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Don't see how this hurts us here in the states but it is crap to fire people and remove the local talent. Being able to get a feel for how something will sell/perform for a smaller local region can really help build a strong base. This does seem like hubris Sony though. Maybe Sony is in bad financial straits but I don't see how.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    furlion wrote: »

Don't see how this hurts us here in the states but it is crap to fire people and remove the local talent. Being able to get a feel for how something will sell/perform for a smaller local region can really help build a strong base. This does seem like hubris Sony though. Maybe Sony is in bad financial straits but I don't see how.

No, they're doing spiffy at the moment.

Which makes the shakeups really weird. It almost seems like they're expecting the PS5 to have a shaky start so they're trimming the fat before they're forced to. Or maybe leadership just wants to consolidate power/engage in office politics and that's having harsh effects. It's going to be hard to tell until we find out just how ludicrous/non-ludicrous the PS5 will be.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, provided games continue to come out on and/or be available on the PS4, I'm not paying for a new console. We just got a Switch, I'm not suddenly going to shell out more cash within a year or so just to have the latest version of the Playstation.

I doubt I'm the very model of a Playstation fan, too. I figure they'll be just fine. I'm just not seeing a need right this moment.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    If I get a half decent trade in offer on my Pro, I'll be all over it - I'd been keeping an eye out for a good special on a 4K UHD player anyway, I can wait for this.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Anyone messed around with the new expansion of Remote Play + controller support to all Android 10 devices? It almost makes me want an Android tablet. It could give some life to the "classic collection" releases and all the lo-fi indie games that have flooded PSN. They look terrible on the TV but would be pretty good on a tablet.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Is it out yet? I went looking the other day and the updated Remote ply client wasn't available for download (yet). Doesn't really matter to me as this weekend is PAX and I'm not going to be home until Tuesday anyway...

26904.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Very likely could just be a financial move to counter any problems Brexit could pose, potentially.

*Fuck China.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Is it out yet? I went looking the other day and the updated Remote ply client wasn't available for download (yet). Doesn't really matter to me as this weekend is PAX and I'm not going to be home until Tuesday anyway...

I used it Tuesday night for a second to try out AC Odyssey and it worked fine enough.

Justice wrote: »
    Anyone messed around with the new expansion of Remote Play + controller support to all Android 10 devices? It almost makes me want an Android tablet. It could give some life to the "classic collection" releases and all the lo-fi indie games that have flooded PSN. They look terrible on the TV but would be pretty good on a tablet.

I installed the Remote Play app on my Galaxy phone, but I didn't fool around with it long, as I wasn't planning on really using it until the official controller support came in (my phone still hasn't gotten Android 10). But the image quality and responsiveness felt pretty good. It really depends on how good your home network is, and even then, it's not the best for games that require really precise timing. Something like Sekiro can be pretty frustrating, but I was playing Dishonored, which is much more forgiving, and that was perfectly playable.

I've been using my Vita, so I'm looking forward to a compact Remote Play option that still gives me all the buttons. Some of the Vita controls for PS4 games are ... cumbersome.

Just throwing out a recommendation for anyone wanting to Remote Play on their phone now, get one of those smart clips that holds your phone above your controller. The one I got from Nyko seems to be no longer available, but there are plenty of knockoffs that I'm sure are just as good.

Or pick up a stand for your phone so you can place it in front of you! I've been looking to get one so I can watch some Hulu shows and now I have an added reason.

edited October 2019
    Dirty wrote: »
    Just throwing out a recommendation for anyone wanting to Remote Play on their phone now, get one of those smart clips that holds your phone above your controller. The one I got from Nyko seems to be no longer available, but there are plenty of knockoffs that I'm sure are just as good.

Did not know that existed! That sounds awesome, basically like having a real mobile game system rather than just a gimpy hybrid.

I'm totally looking for one of those tonight.

Justice on
    On second though, I'm not going to be updating this thread after all. If somebody wants to start a new thread for the purpose of being able to update the thread title, go right ahead.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

I got frustrated with it, having Android 8 devices and the pain of setting up another account to use the tablet as a streamed screen or whatever. Maybe the experience is ONLY designed for version 10 devices, but everything about it feels shoehorned rather than designed, unless a touchscreen control scheme is actually functional to a bigger swath of users I can imagine.

camo_sig2.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Just finished Iconoclasts...it was....not very good. I liked the gameplay but the story, dialogue, level design, unlockables all of it around the actual gameplay was kinda bad and boring. The story and dialogue were horrible.

Made me sad because I loved the SNES aesthetic.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Just finished Iconoclasts...it was....not very good. I liked the gameplay but the story, dialogue, level design, unlockables all of it around the actual gameplay was kinda bad and boring. The story and dialogue were horrible.

I don't think I could even say it was "bad". It was complete nonsense. To quote Lisa Simpsons, "I know those words, but that sign makes no sense". I feel kind of bad saying that, because I guess one guy did the whole thing, and I think someone said that English might not be his first language. An awesome accomplishment, but as far as actually reading the dialog... what?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

I don't think I could even say it was "bad". It was complete nonsense. To quote Lisa Simpsons, "I know those words, but that sign makes no sense". I feel kind of bad saying that, because I guess one guy did the whole thing, and I think someone said that English might not be his first language. An awesome accomplishment, but as far as actually reading the dialog... what?

That is probably the best way of putting it. The dialogue and story made absolutely no sense. It was total nonsense rubbish.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Really? I really enjoyed the story and dialogue :<

Stabbity_Style.png
    Any recommendations on those phone clips for controllers?? Need something cheap.

Big Classy wrote: »
    Any recommendations on those phone clips for controllers?? Need something cheap.

On Amazon it looks like they're all the same piece of Chinese plastic for as low as $8. The search term is "ps4 phone clip."

Also excited for Doom. Anyone recommend a multiplayer FPS for quick shooting? Criteria: (1) not Destiny 2, played it into the ground and the loadscreens are wow; (2) FPS; and (3) not military-themed.

I see that PUBG is around, but I keep thinking I'll just be insta-sniped by 18-year-olds who've been playing since they were 13-year-olds.

That might just be a risk inherent in the genre, though.

Titanfall 2 still has people playing, doesn't it? You can pick it up cheap and have a good time with it.

urahonky wrote: »
    Titanfall 2 still has people playing, doesn't it? You can pick it up cheap and have a good time with it.

Good thought! I borrowed and played through either 1 or 2 from a friend and enjoyed it a surprising amount.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    For us weebs with decent amounts of culture, Trails of Cold Steel 3 is officially out as of today.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Quiotu wrote: »
    For us weebs with decent amounts of culture, Trails of Cold Steel 3 is officially out as of today.

Mannnn. I dunno if I wanna jump in on a PS4 version or wait for a PC version with speed-up options and the ability to continue my save from ToCS 2.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I never got around to starting the first one since I plowed through TitS 1 and didn’t have time to finish the second one, and didn’t wanna get spoiled on stuff

Did they release the sequels on Vita?

Big Classy wrote: »

On Amazon it looks like they're all the same piece of Chinese plastic for as low as $8. The search term is "ps4 phone clip."

Ordered a cheap little clip thing off amazon, cheers! Should be here for tomorrow so will post impressions on how useful it is!