As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Secret Santa 2019!

CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
edited October 2019 in Critical Failures
Critical Failure's Secret Santa 2019!

>Who Is This For?
CF is a haven for all sorts of tabletop gamers and hobbyists, including role-players, miniature gamers, board gamers, and more. If you see yourself as part of the CF community, this Secret Santa event is for you.

>Awesome! What are the rules?
Names will be taken until 2359GMT ON FRIDAY 8th NOVEMBER, at which point no further names will be accepted. Names will then be picked at random and assigned to individuals, with PMs sent out by Monday, 11th November with the name of your Santee (the person you will be gifting). Remember the point of this event is that you are a Secret Santa, so please don't go spouting off to all and sundry. Based on the preferences that your recipient will post when they register to be a part of the event, you will then be prompted buy/convert/paint/whatever you deem suitable for a gift.

You will then be able to collect or work on whatever is being sent. The deadline for your recipient to get their gift is going to be 31st January 2020 - that hopefully leaves you with plenty of time to put together whatever it is and get it sent out. THIS DOES NOT MEAN TO START THINKING ABOUT MAYBE BUYING A GIFT A WEEK BEFORE THE FINISH, YOU SILLY GEESE. If anyone fails to provide a gift within a reasonable time (or at all), they will be summarily barred from the next event - or possibly worse. Past events have gone (in general) without a hitch and I'd like it to stay that way. Order sooner rather than later so you don't get screwed by some store/shipping/natural disasters.

>What would constitute a suitable gift?
This is where we unfortunately get subjective. I'd like to think we all have the good common sense to pick good gifts in this regard. For guidelines, I'd suggest something like $15 (or $20-ish with shipping) as a minimum. The minimum price on the gift is there to prevent someone from sending like a single arm, half a body or the random pages that fell out of someone's D20 OGL book. If you wish to do so then by all means go as far above this minimum limit as you want, it'd be awesome to see that sort of thing on the whole. We have had some fantastic gifts in previous years and remember that giving is just as important as receiving (however don't feel that you need to spend the GDP of a small island to take part)! You will basically be held to the honor system (and the threat of being pointed at and beaten with internet-sticks) to ensure that the person who you are gifting does not feel cheated. By all means, send a titan to your Santee if you wish!

Gift recommendation are a combination of what you're capable of, and what your Santee wants. A PnP gamer who's never touched bare pewter is probably not the right person to give a complete Cryx strike force too. On the other hand, they might greatly appreciate receiving a nicely painted rendition of their PC from their long-running forum game, or the latest expansion sourcebook in their setting of choice.

Popular gifts in the past include single miniatures, books, board games, or accessories, so long as they meet the $15 minimum requirement. However, there's no need to feel obligated to get someone a complete set of Kingdom Death: Monster, for example, just because they express an interest in it (then again, no one can stop it if you do…). Be careful though - it's no use having an amazing plan if your Santee never actually gets the gift. Don't go crazy and end up never getting anything sent.

>I live in [insert country no-one has ever heard of]. Can I participate?
ABSOLUTELY! Ideally, we would get a few people from all over to participate. To make sending the gifts easier if we get enough international participants I will organize everyone into categories based on location while drawing the names to try and keep international mailing to a minimum. This cannot be guaranteed though so keep in mind postage and check weights, etc. before buying gifts.

>How do I sign up?
Entries are not considered official until I (@CF SANTA) receive a PM from you containing the following:

1. Your name
2. Your address Please include a country so I don't have to guess
2a. Your email address
3. What games you collect / play, or what you would like to see in a gift
4: Suggestions - 'I play Exalted' doesn't help your Santa much in narrowing down what would be a good gift. Saying something like, 'I play Exalted and have been looking at getting Dreams of the First Age, Graceful Wicked Masques, or Scroll of Heroes' gives your Santa an idea of what you wants, and helps Santa if he's not familiar with your chosen system.

If you do not send this PM, you will not be entered in the event! - DO NOT SEND ME A PM JUST SAYING "I'M IN"

Even if you participated in the last event, your personal information has not been kept. Also, when your Santa gets your information they receive it in the form of THE SAME MESSAGE YOU SEND ME. I literally forward your contact information and model preferences to the person giving you your gift, so the reason to make you all jump through the hoops of filling the information out is so that I have something to supply to your Santa. I also want to make sure I have up-to-date information.

When you sign up, please put some money aside for the gift right then! If you do not have funds do not sign up. If you do not have funds do not sign up. The overwhelming majority of previous excuses that we get are from people not having enough money to actually purchase a gift for their Santee. I realize most of you won't know at the time of sign-up who you're getting or what you're going to be gifting, but it's not unreasonable to put twenty-ish dollars aside for the event right at the offset.

>How do you assign Santas?
Utilizing super-secret scientific method and a crack team of Elves we assemble the Santa Master List™ at a classified military installation fourteen fathoms down in the general vicinity of the Marianas Trench.

It's all done in one completely random shot. I don't tamper with it in any way, though I do take some requests into consideration in setting the names in the box up (For example if there are enough Santa's we may do regional draws... depends on the numbers. If you have a real problem with postage let me know and I may be able to tweak this a bit).

>What do I do when I send/receive my gift?
A few suggestions for sending the gift:

* Include your name (forum name) so people have some idea of who is sending them this wondrous bounty! It really shouldn't be all that hard to just write your handle on a piece of paper and throw it in.
* Consider using Delivery Confirmation/Tracking so you can track your package and make sure it gets there.
* Check in with your recipient via PM a few days after sending to confirm receipt if you don't hear anything.

Also, some guidelines for receiving the gift:
* Let your Santa know it arrived! One less thing they have to worry about.
* VERY VERY IMPORTANT: Post in the thread that the package arrived, and show off what you got!
* Take some damn pictures! Your Santa probably worked very hard on the gift, and we're all dying to see what's being exchanged.

One last final point: While lurkers are welcome to participate, I reserve the right to use absolute discretion in ruling people out of participation. If you have absolutely zero posts or a bare minimum number and you register on the boards to try and take part in this, I probably won't let you participate. Past events have shown that these users have been the most likely to vanish off the board never to be seen again, or otherwise skip on their end of participation.

And if you DO try to mess around with the system, Santa will have your address (and a crew of trained killer reindeer).

santasig.jpg
Echo on

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Woo! Thank you @CF SANTA !

Signed up!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I was wondering when this was going to go up. Woo!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Woo signed up!

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yay, it's that time of year again! I'll start working on my signup PM.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Gonna have to think about my signup :D

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Excellent. I've been checking the forum every few days for this for the last three weeks.
    Y'all, I'm going to sign up my partner without telling her, so whichever of you gets "me" this year, we're going to have some fun together~ <3

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I missed this last year, for the first time since the Of Dice and Men secret Santa exchanges started, because I got complacent and was only reading my bookmarked threads and not keeping track of new ones. :p Not making that mistake this year!

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Yay!! Just making some last moment adjustments!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Oh I'm totally in. I had a ton of fun last year. I'll cook up a PM sometime tonight.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    PM sent! Can't wait to do some gifting :smile:

My BGG list: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Denada

Denada on
    Hey guys!

I need some assistance! I am trying to make a Boardgamegeek list to help let my Santa know what games I have. Does anyone know how I could link to the wishlist?

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    edited October 2019
    Are you adding them to your collection or making a geeklist?

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ArcSyn

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    I am making the list, but I wasn't sure if I just copy and paste the link or if there was something I click on to share like Amazon wish lists and such.

edited October 2019
    MamaWolf wrote: »
    I am making the list, but I wasn't sure if I just copy and paste the link or if there was something I click on to share like Amazon wish lists and such.

Should be able to just copy the URL.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/263308/show-us-your-spiel19-loot

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    MamaWolf wrote: »

Should be able to just copy the URL.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/263308/show-us-your-spiel19-loot

Ok. Thank you

Finally got around to sending the signup email. Happy, happy~

PM sent! I'm so pumped for this year!!

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DO3O00C.png
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    PM sent! MamaWolf's BGG list applies for both of us.

• CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
    Signups end tonight! I'll be working on PMs over the weekend, so stay tuned.

santasig.jpg
    I gotta get on my pm

• CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
    All PMs are out!
    Let me know if something looks out of whack

santasig.jpg
    Not to tip my hand, but I'm exceptionally happy with who I get to Santa for~

Unrelated, it dawns on me that for proper unboxing procedures, whenever gifts have been sent to "me", you should let me know (and maybe potentially address the box to me so I can hand it off? DM me and we can coordinate if desired) so that the better half doesn't just open the mystery box they receive and "WTF is this?" without documenting the occasion.

It has begun!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Target acquired. Stalking commencing.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Target acquired. Stalking commencing.

You know, normally I'd let that pass, but with the avatar change it's a little ominous, dude.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Hello, I want to gift a board game.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Plans, they are a brewing!

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Ohoho, tis the season, good luck gifting everyone.

Inquiring about tea and chocolate, eh? I might not be making this any easier for you, but ...
    Between the two of us we like pretty much any tea unless you're going out of your way to find something wacky (or it's got a strong black licorice flavor, I guess?). We keep a solid stock around, so don't feel a need to go too big here. I know that I personally wouldn't mind a bit of something non-caffeinated, because shit hits me hard anywhere after 4PM. :P She honestly does like damn near anything, but would definitely enjoy something festive with a bit of spice. Pick your poison (or don't! I really just threw this in as a padding suggestion if you have some local tea you enjoy yourself).
    I'd wager chocolate is a lot easier, though still in the same ballpark of "hard to go wrong." She's less a fan of dark chocolates, but I enjoy them plenty so it's fine if there are some in the mix. Nobody is allergic to nuts, so that's fine. Non-fruity stuff likely preferred over fruity stuff? Liquor or tea-infused both enjoyed.

... Yeah, that was probably no help at all, eh?
    Just have fun with it - we're cheery, appreciative Canadians. ;)

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Awww dammit I completely missed this.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
      I wanted to send this out early this year, since last time I didn't end up getting it out until late!

MISSILES AWAY.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
      Koreg wrote: »
      I wanted to send this out early this year, since last time I didn't end up getting it out until late!

MISSILES AWAY.

Damn setting the bar high this year!

Steam ID: Webguy20
      Origin ID: Discgolfer27
      Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
      Got sick and busy, so I wasn't able to put something together in time. Looking forward to seeing all the cool gifting though!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
      xasOsmv.gif

My Santa struck swiftly and with tremendous accuracy. More details tomorrow once I have a chance to get proper pics together; I didn't actually discover the package until just before I left for game night.

Betrayal: Legacy is pretty fun, fwiw!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

So I had a pretty busy Friday and didn't even notice this had gotten here til last night, as mentioned! @Koreg sent a PM to make sure everything had arrived yesterday, which I noticed yet later in the evening just before I left; pardon the delay on your deserved recognition!

Loot spread in spoiler:
      nezmsx3w97t1.jpg

Thanks for this on-point set of add-ons and the book! I'd gotten a look at Evolution: Climate at PAX Unplugged last year and it's a distinct improvement on vanilla Evolution, so the conversion kit will come in handy. Should probably still be able to fit everything in the one box after I consolidate a bit, as well, which is always a plus. Shades of Tezla I've already got, but Mage Knight remains a favorite, so again, laser-targeted picks. I've read at least one of the Garrett novels at some point as well - checked it out of a library when I was younger, as I'm a Glen Cook fan - and they're pretty solid proto-Urban Fantasy yarns; another good pick!

Sonar - which I initially thought was its big brother Captain Sonar - I don't quite know what to make of. I thought the original could use some streamlining, so I guess I get my wish! I'll get it to the table ASAP and let everyone know how it goes.

Much appreciated, and good work setting the bar going forward!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I’m not saying everyone should go check their front door because a box is waiting there, but....

Steam ID
      Twitch Page