As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I know that Adi Shankar is a huge SOTN fan, but he's also been quoted as saying that one of his favorite elements of Castlevania is the element of following the Belmont family and their grudge match with Drac down through the ages, so I kind of don't expect them to just drop the Belmonts in favor of Alucard, fan-and-producer favorite though he is.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Belmonts' Bizarre Adventures plz.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I know that Adi Shankar is a huge SOTN fan, but he's also been quoted as saying that one of his favorite elements of Castlevania is the element of following the Belmont family and their grudge match with Drac down through the ages, so I kind of don't expect them to just drop the Belmonts in favor of Alucard, fan-and-producer favorite though he is.

I'm okay with this if we get Shanoa at some point, because they could get some good stuff out of that. Even if she's not a Belmont (though technically there ARE Belmonts in the game).

Though that one is kind of a... "oops, turns out vampires can outlast human bloodlines when they refuse to stay dead" type of thing.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That was more of a thing where the events of SOTN somehow cursed the Belmonts to not be able to do the Dracula thing until 1999. They still were around (hence Julius), but couldn’t use the whip.

Which was, in hindsight, kind of a dumb plot point.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    That was more of a thing where the events of SOTN somehow cursed the Belmonts to not be able to do the Dracula thing until 1999. They still were around (hence Julius), but couldn’t use the whip.

Ah. I'd just figured it was a diluted bloodline type problem, since half the villagers have Belmonts in their family tree. Or you could just say they got chased out and are currently chilling somewhere outside of Europe for a few generations until the heat dies down.

Either way I want OoE to get a season.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I like the concept of B Team Hunters who don't even get all the powers of the Belmonts having to save the day anyway. That could make for a good season of the show (maybe team up Shanoa with some of the other B team hunters like Nathan Graves) once we're very comfortable with the idea of Belmonts being the force against evil.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    I 100% expect Dracula to show up before the end of season 3.

• Options

I like the concept of B Team Hunters who don't even get all the powers of the Belmonts having to save the day anyway. That could make for a good season of the show (maybe team up Shanoa with some of the other B team hunters like Nathan Graves) once we're very comfortable with the idea of Belmonts being the force against evil.

Oh I do like the idea of these other hunters. It is just a bit silly that they wrote them in by having the Belmonts be cursed to not use the whip, is all.

• Options

I don't think you can make Shanoa's story work as well if you start bringing in other hunters. The ending especially needs her to be taking on Dracula alone I think.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    No reason she can't be alone in the end even with a dozen other people with her. Drac can eat them all etc.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I don't think you can make Shanoa's story work as well if you start bringing in other hunters. The ending especially needs her to be taking on Dracula alone I think.

If we're talking Graves being her teammate, the finale could be Shanoa vs Dracula and Graves vs his old teammate, now a traitor. Each in their own battle.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The hell with the rest, I just want to see more of Sypha destroying all comers.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    My wife has been enjoying Bloodstained, although she got stuck on Zangetsu for days. She's going to have a rough time with Bloodless.

I've been replaying Aria of Sorrow. I haven't played this game in at least 15 years. Still great! Of course, this time I'm replaying it to get achievements, none of which seem too difficult. But I don't think I've ever actually played through the entire game as Julius, so I might be speaking too soon here.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So I just beat the churches badass for a 2nd time, zakuratu or whatever his name is, and have been completely lost.

Just googled what I'm supposed to do.

How the fuck was I supposed to figure that out?

Edit and now I had to Google what to do. How am I to know where to look for a red moon? Do they expect me to backtrack all of the map?

Loving the game but this end is a but much.

RickRude on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    So I just beat the churches badass for a 2nd time, zakuratu or whatever his name is, and have been completely lost.

Just googled what I'm supposed to do.

How the fuck was I supposed to figure that out?

Edit and now I had to Google what to do. How am I to know where to look for a red moon? Do they expect me to backtrack all of the map?

Loving the game but this end is a but much.

The first thing is a bit wonky to figure out unaided (I hear it's easier if you've played the castlevanias to have experienced similar things), but the second was straightforward at least, since I remembered back when first passing through that room that man this thing looks super ominous, and the context is pretty obvious once you're past the first thing.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I got to that point and remembered that I’d seen the thing, but not where it was, so I put tbr game down for a bit. That was in the launch month, IIRC.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    It's be one thing if there was something in the archives you have or a character mentioning. Maybe I could have figured out the red moon thing at first as it seems.you can make a few boss fights way easier by inverting the fight . Not sure on that one but maybe you hit the moon accidentally. The bosses I used it on
    [Zangzutzo and the Vegas gambling dude[/spoiler]

Edit NM it appears there is a hint if you tall to the merchant

RickRude on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I remember going through the red moon room multiple times so that part didn't trip me up. Figuring out where to go and how to get there when it was time to start exploring underwater, though, that part is fuckin obtuse.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Belmonts' Bizarre Adventures plz.

this is really the only option

• Options
    Any need to know tips for starting Bloodstained? Stuff missable? If so, what to make sure to snag?

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    There really isn't anything that can be missed in Bloodstained which can't be retrieved later -- you can always backtrack to any area later. There are two or three spots in the mid- to late-game where the path forward isn't entirely obvious, but you don't need to worry about those until you're several hours in.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Any need to know tips for starting Bloodstained? Stuff missable? If so, what to make sure to snag?

As is true for all Metroidvanias, don't waste time exploring until you find the Double Jump ability.

• Options
    Thanks for the info. Worked out the double jump thing quick. Game could have mentioned the suspend function, though.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info. Worked out the double jump thing quick. Game could have mentioned the suspend function, though.

There's a suspend function? That I wish I had known about.

• Options
    Maybe they added it later as it's is kind of hard to miss once you go to quit the game for the first time (since they hide both options in the same the place). But it was a needless bit of "Where's the save point?!" at one point.

• Options

Every time your get a new weapon do app sorts of stuff with the dpad and then hit x. There's quite a few street fighter style moves some weapons have.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Every time your get a new weapon do app sorts of stuff with the dpad and then hit x. There's quite a few street fighter style moves some weapons have.

Said moves will also be listed in various bookcases around the map, putting them in a place you can look them up.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I keep using weapons that don't seem to have any moves (claymore and long sword spring to mind), but keeping my eye out now. Possibly I am not finding the right sequence too.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I keep using weapons that don't seem to have any moves (claymore and long sword spring to mind), but keeping my eye out now. Possibly I am not finding the right sequence too.

If you use a weapon's move enough, you can master it and use it with other weapons of the same type.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    This ass who puts his sword on fire is making me wish I could put it on easy. Guess I need to level up more.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Zangetsu walls pretty much everyone, so don't feel too bad about it. There's pretty much no getting past him without finding the spots where you can get a swing in safely.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    My wife made it to Bloodless. At one point she remarked that "this boss is cheap as hell!" Looking forward to her discovering
    phase 2, when she self-heals

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Zangetsu walls pretty much everyone, so don't feel too bad about it. There's pretty much no getting past him without finding the spots where you can get a swing in safely.

Yeah, pretty much once I worked out his pattern a little more and that I could mash attack to get a few extra hits in (and got a few more levels...) he went down. I think I should probably stock up on healing potions too. It probably help.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

If you use a weapon's move enough, you can master it and use it with other weapons of the same type.

Why did i not know this. Damnit

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

Yeah, pretty much once I worked out his pattern a little more and that I could mash attack to get a few extra hits in (and got a few more levels...) he went down. I think I should probably stock up on healing potions too. It probably help.

Also: Ethers and High-Ethers. Compared to your average Castlevania, your weapon doesn't do a lot of damage by comparison to your magic, and you don't have to heal nearly as much when the boss dies twice as fast.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Huh. I’m not particularly good at Bloodstained but had no problem beating Zangetsu on my first try. Same thing happened to me with the Diggernaught boss on Metroid Samus Returns.

Tough bosses bow before me!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    He hit twice as hard as I did, total cheater!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Oh god, there's more jumping upgrades after double jump? Learn to grab a ledge, Miriam!

Edit: And after learning that and back tracking to all the dead ends I finally look up what I am missing and it's DUCKING gah!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Huh. I’m not particularly good at Bloodstained but had no problem beating Zangetsu on my first try. Same thing happened to me with the Diggernaught boss on Metroid Samus Returns.

Tough bosses bow before me!

Diggernaught boss fight was pretty easy. It's just pretty much just watching for and exploiting patterns which is basically side scroller boss fights 101.

Now Diggernaught escape? That was utter bullshit.

• Options
    Oh what the hell game ("Ending" spoiler):
    It's not cool having a false ending with save points only. There goes that time. Suppose I have to kill/save Gebel with something special or something. In retrospect should have seen that coming since he didn't run away and he was way easier than the 8-bit boss that had just destroyed me a few minutes before, speaking of wasted time. For shame, game.

Outer Worlds is coming out, I don't have time as it is!