As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Low hot water pressure

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
Before anyone says it - I will look into a plumber but I wanted to see if there were any simple checks I could do.

Basically, the hot water pressure is very poor in my house. It's an older house but all the pipes have been replaced in the last few years with PVC and copper pipes.

We are utilizing a tankless water heater as we don't own the house and the land lord is basically in love with utilizing the technology. The problem is, the water pressure is so low after a certain point that it won't trigger the heater. Utilizing the kitchen sink itself is not enough flow to heat the water, for example.

So I was just looking to see if anyone had any suggestions before I call a plumber. The landlord seems unsure of what's going on after he looked at it.

Also, weird note - the sprayer (?) for the kitchen sink is odd. If using the cold lever and using the sprayer, the water completely stops coming out of the faucet. If using the hot lever it doesn't shut off at all (and the spray is even weaker).

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It sounds like all the water pressure in the house is low. Is there a filtrating system and/or a pressure tank in the house?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I'll have to check and get back to you.

My girlfriend is thinking it must be the tankless heater because the cold water temp is multiple times stronger. Unfortunately I know very little about the mechanics.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    No worries I’m not any kind of an expert just throwing out ideas for where the problem might be

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

My girlfriend is thinking it must be the tankless heater because the cold water temp is multiple times stronger. Unfortunately I know very little about the mechanics.

If you have a tankless water heater, they can develop significant scale/calcium deposits on the heating element if not routinely maintained. This can absolutely restrict flow.

A plumber is likely able to attempt to flush/clean the heater, but this CAN have unintended side-effects (like leaks after cleaning) depending on the severity. Sometimes cleaning works great, other times it can mean the replacement of the heater.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    BouwsT wrote: »

If you have a tankless water heater, they can develop significant scale/calcium deposits on the heating element if not routinely maintained. This can absolutely restrict flow.

A plumber is likely able to attempt to flush/clean the heater, but this CAN have unintended side-effects (like leaks after cleaning) depending on the severity. Sometimes cleaning works great, other times it can mean the replacement of the heater.
    Although, if there is a huge flow issue, the water heater may have to be replaced anyways.

See if the tankless water heater is under warranty. They usually have a 5 or 10 year warranty. If it is older than 10 years, maybe just plan on having to replace it.

zepherin on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tankless heaters do have minimum temperatures they need from ground in order to maintain proper temperature and pressure. But if you've had it for a year or two already it might need some maintenance. If this is the first year, you probably have an underpowered unit, or you might need 2 in series to get the water temp up high enough to use it properly.

It sounds like someone fucked up your plumbing to be honest, especially with how that sink and sprayer is working.

Was this a handyman special or did the landlord actually have a certified/registered plumber come in and do the work?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    First, I'd imagine.

Also, I just found out the "just replaced the pipes" meant over 6+ years ago.

Edit: Girlfriend said the heater has been here since she got here in 2013 and hasn't been worked on since then.

Magus` on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Replaced the pipes could mean so many things, as well

Probably just replaced the faucet supply lines and exposed hookups to the tankless water heater because digging up concrete pads and having plumbers rip out drywall isn't something I'd expect someone who uses a handyman to pay for.

Without yearly maintenance water heaters, heat/ac, washer/dryer drains and exhaust, chimenys, etc etc etc are kind of dangerous to the residents and the appliances themselves will have a greatly diminished lifespan/efficacy.

• Options
    And this is the first time you've noticed pressure drop in the past 6 years?

It's likely in need of some maintenance. Tankless should last you greater than or equal to about 20 years.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I've only lived here for two months.

I'm not sure when my GF first noticed it. Some time ago, I would think.

• Options
    AmygaAmyga Registered User new member
    Like others have mentioned, tankless system need to be flushed and descaled annually. That’s most likely your problem.

• Options
    Haven't been back to look at it, but the landlord basically called me stupid for talking about maintenance since his was fine.

Using a sump pump may not work if he didn't utilizing pressure valves for the input and output. I'll have to check when I'm back home tomorrow.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Haven't been back to look at it, but the landlord basically called me stupid for talking about maintenance since his was fine.

Using a sump pump may not work if he didn't utilizing pressure valves for the input and output. I'll have to check when I'm back home tomorrow.
    Sump pump isn’t the right kind of pump for this. A sump pump is for inside a sump pit.

You would be looking for an in line pump. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076TGWYDK/ref=psdcmw_554568_t1_B07J41JBFL

• Options
    You do have to be careful with recirculating pumps because they don't work very well with tankless hot water heaters either.

But the kit to perform maintenance on scale buildup of tankless hot water heaters is like $150.

A plumber really needs to be called to address this. Your hot water heater is likely maybe a year or two from failure at this point and you don't want your landlord to shit on you for that (document your correspondence in a notebook with date/time and his response (print out emails and text messages) in case he tries to keep the deposit).

If you're doing this via phone just keep a log of when you're calling, about what, and his response as close to word for word as you can get. Record it if it's legal in your state.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Any idea what that might cost? Ballpark.

Also, he didn't put in isolation valves when he installed it because of course.

Magus` on
  • Options

It will cost you nothing. It's not the renters duty to maintain the property or pay for maintenance.

• Options

~$200

What's the ground water temperature at where you live? Anything lower than 40f might be too much of a rise for that hot water heater without it being in series with another.

Check this link:
    https://www.bradleycorp.com/image/6528/groundwater-temperature.png

• Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »

It will cost you nothing. It's not the renters duty to maintain the property or pay for maintenance.

The relationship, if you will, is that the landlord is the husband of my GF's aunt so I'm not even sure there is a lease.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Should absolutely get a lease and I still wouldn't pay for it. You don't pay maintenance, repairs or improvements on a rental because you don't own it.

If there's an agreement you arrange for a plumber and have the owner billed, that's as far as it should go. Even that is being generous.

dispatch.o on