As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Durable messenger bag recommendations

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
Hi all. My bag of holding is fraying at the edges and in looking for a replacement.

I need two things:
Durability
A way to affix pins to the front flap.

I checked on amazon quick and it doesn’t look like most Messenger bags there have pockets on the front flaps.
Anyone got recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I've had my Manhattan Portage bag for, jeez, 20 years now. It's still in great shape. Basic double compartment bag with a zip pocket under the flap in front.

Example: https://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/product/view/id/508/s/hanover-messenger-bag/

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    I have had this Mobile Edge Messenger bag for a year now and it has held up very well. lots of room. It has a netted pocket under the front flap.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I've had my Manhattan Portage bag for, jeez, 20 years now. It's still in great shape. Basic double compartment bag with a zip pocket under the flap in front.

Example: https://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/product/view/id/508/s/hanover-messenger-bag/

But does the flap itself have a pocket? I need to be able to put pins there. Otherwise looks very good.
    I have had this Mobile Edge Messenger bag for a year now and it has held up very well. lots of room. It has a netted pocket under the front flap.

Same question. It doesn’t look like I can reach into the flap from the pic.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Looks like no extra pockets on mine. Of course, this was a long time ago, so who knows what the current model looks like. =) Good luck!

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    I assume you are asking if you can pierce the front flap with a pin and have the back of that pin be concealed inside of a pocket? The back of the flap has a large zippered, netted pocket that you could put an A size sheet of paper inside of. You absolutely could put pins through the flap. However, the pocket is thin netting and not another sheet of canvas. I admit that I have never tried to put a pin on a messenger bag, so not sure the exact protocol. You can always return the bag if you don't like it.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Timbuk2s generally hold up to a decade or so of abuse per bag, so I can throw a reco for that.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I assume you are asking if you can pierce the front flap with a pin and have the back of that pin be concealed inside of a pocket? The back of the flap has a large zippered, netted pocket that you could put an A size sheet of paper inside of. You absolutely could put pins through the flap. However, the pocket is thin netting and not another sheet of canvas. I admit that I have never tried to put a pin on a messenger bag, so not sure the exact protocol. You can always return the bag if you don't like it.

That sounds promising. Thanks.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Also a big fan of Timbuk2 stuff. Bunch of different models and most models come in 2 or more sizes, which is nice. They are a bit pricier, but I know last year their black Friday sale was like 50% off so, if you can wait.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Also a big fan of Timbuk2 stuff. Bunch of different models and most models come in 2 or more sizes, which is nice. They are a bit pricier, but I know last year their black Friday sale was like 50% off so, if you can wait.

They look nice but the main ones i saw did not appear to have a pin-friendly front flap.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    My front flap definitely has a pocket in it, but not sure what model it is

• Options
    I gone and went with the Mobile Edge Messenger bag.

It seemed good, large enough and the price isn't too high.

I'll let you folks know if it's good!