As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New desk chair

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
Howdy folks!

I'm in need of a new desk chair for my home office and looking for recommendations on one.

Here's what I'd like:

- Under $200
- High back
- Fabric, preferred
- Adjustable arms
- Relatively durable

Those aren't hard restrictions, just my preferences.

I've seen chairs get all sorts of high and low reviews so I'm not sure what to trust.

For reference, I'm 5'8"ish, 175lbs. I mostly play games and am on my computer 1-2 hours a night. It's not heavy usage, but it is consistent.

If you have any thoughts, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I did an Amazon basic chair and wasn't necessarily disappointed. I've always just bought a cheap chair every year. Recently I bought a Herman Miller Arron and it's incredible. I tried to justify it as worth it because of the 12 year warranty. It's essentially the same as repurchasing a new 100$ chair every year. Except my herniated disc doesn't cause agony after an hour in the Herman Miller.

I suggest an Amazon Basic chair or finding the surplus store for your local major University.

Edit: Some healthcare systems and hospital organizations have surplus sale as well. It's usually kind of a pain in the ass to find the information but you can find $300 desk sets for $10 if you can haul it away. Because things are always shifting in big universities and hospitals, there's always tons of almost new office stuff that theyre trying to get rid of.

Example: OSU store https://fa.oregonstate.edu/surplus/public-sales/osused-store

Edit2: I see a nice steelcase chair that would be $500 for $15 in that slide show.

dispatch.o on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Go sit in some chairs. I would suggest going to Ikea, but there is of course also other places.

You may also want to look for places that off load office surplus equipment, however those around here (Denmark) that I know of are likely not to any use for you.

Also - remember to get a chair with wheels that fit your type of floor ie. hard floor or carpet.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    If you keep an eye on the local news and see a story about an office going out of business you can try calling up and asking if they are offloading their furniture. I got a Herman Miller Embody that didn't even have it's warranty card filled out yet for like $250 that way.

steam_sig.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Howdy folks!

I'm in need of a new desk chair for my home office and looking for recommendations on one.

Here's what I'd like:

- Under $200
    - High back
    - Fabric, preferred
    - Adjustable arms
    - Relatively durable

I've seen chairs get all sorts of high and low reviews so I'm not sure what to trust.

For reference, I'm 5'8"ish, 175lbs. I mostly play games and am on my computer 1-2 hours a night. It's not heavy usage, but it is consistent.

Thanks in advance!

If you're only using it 1-2 hours a day something in the $80-$150 range from Office Depot/Office Max/any other office supply store will likely last you for years with an added bonus of you can sit down in it in the store and see if you like it before you buy it.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Honestly Staples and Office [Word] have surprisingly good chairs for your intended use case/requirements. Even their "gaming" chairs drop under $200 on sale.

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    We have these in our office and conference room, and they're not too terribly expensive. They're comfortable without breaking the bank.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Got a chair!

I have the same one in my office at work and I like it so I figured I'd just get another one.

Go ahead and lock this up.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Howdy folks!

Here's what I'd like:

- Under $200
    - High back
    - Fabric, preferred
    - Adjustable arms
    - Relatively durable

Thanks in advance!

Kinda need to know a few other things when picking out a chair like how you like to sit. It's oddly a very personal thing.. do you prefer a deeper chair that you can lounge in, put your leg up on the desk, do you like the arms to be touching your sides, or do you want a nice wide space..do you want to be able to lean back, or a firm stiff back?

Like I prefer an oversized comfy chair that I can pull my legs up and sit crosslegged in when i feel like it, or lay back with one leg up on the desk while im watching a video. I bought one of the big and tall chairs (I don't think it was lazy boy brand but i might be wrong) meant for heavier people and I like the room and flexibility it gives me. Also depends on where your keyboard sits on the desk compared to your armrests. I swear finding a good chair is as hard as finding a matress you like without actually sleeping in it first.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum