As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Seahawks game with some classic seattle whether we rarely see anymore.

Edit: and a classic Carol challenging reality. Jet fuel cant melt pass interference!

If this doesnt fail i will be shocked. I feel its more likely it becomes OPI because of the turned facemask

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Would you have thought New Orleans would go 5-0 without Drew Brees?

Sure. Bridgewater isn't terrible.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ugh this is turning into an ugly game

Hold onto the damn ball

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Chhaaaaaarrrge!

*fumble*

Chhaaaaaarrrge!

*fumble, recover by Titans*

Kinda sums both teams up. Chargers snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, and Titans only win due to the incompetence of their opposition.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I thought Chicago was supposed to have a fearsome defense?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited October 2019
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I thought Chicago was supposed to have a fearsome defense?

I don't think any defense can do that much when your offense's only real contribution is a field goal*.

Sure, maybe they could have prevented more against a Brees-less Saints. But there's got to be an enthusiasm hit when you know that nothing you're doing will matter because you know the other half of your team is hot garbage.

EDIT: Not including that garbage time TD.

MorganV on
    Saints special teams is getting hammered on kick returns during practice this coming week.

Saints special teams is getting hammered on kick returns during practice this coming week.

I dunno. There's only so much you can do against the best kickoff returner (though not punts) currently active.

Sure, you can hope for more, but it's not like Patterson is some schlub.

Sometimes you just have to accept that a great player can make a great play.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    That game had two punt blocks (one for a TD) by the Saints, one kickoff return for the Bears, one punt return for a TD called back on a flag and one successful onside (with a second that only failed because of possession rules). So, they're gonna get rewarded and punished in varying amounts.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    MorganV wrote: »

I dunno. There's only so much you can do against the best kickoff returner (though not punts) currently active.

Sure, you can hope for more, but it's not like Patterson is some schlub.

Sometimes you just have to accept that a great player can make a great play.

I meant covering onside kicks....

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Free Jumbo Jack!

Fuck you, Chris. Fallon is not James Brown.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    oh man
    I'm already excited for Bengals/Dolphins Week 16 Tua-Bowl

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    After all, Dallas is America's Team!

For the last time, a nickname you give yourself is invalid

That’s not true
    -Thunder Pelvis

TIL Apparently "lightning crotch" is a nickname for a real medical condition (stabbing pains women get, usually during pregnancy).

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    oh man
    I'm already excited for Bengals/Dolphins Week 16 Tua-Bowl
    Remember, it's probably going to be on Nickelodeon.

sig.gif
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    49ers win 6-0 in the rain. Finish game with a sack and slip and slide

I thought they kicked a 3rd FG?
    Youre right they did. Despite being a slog it was fun to watch. Field was probably an inch of water on top of the mud

Honestly given how drenched that game was that it was low scoring is not too unexpected. Can't throw for shit in it can't run routes can't get traction to do any kind of cut backs so it's just in your face high school football.

So nice of the Pats to end this game in the first fifteen. I have a whole night in front of me.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    I think Darnold has more interceptions than receptions

wbBv3fj.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Man, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Belichick just bust out laughing like that.

edited October 2019
    This game is/was hilarious.

Edit; for reference its 33-0 and the jets muff a fair catch to give the ball back to the pats

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

This kind of made me like them for a second until you realize it's the equivalent of a grown man in a kid's karate class.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

This kind of made me like them for a second until you realize it's the equivalent of a grown man in a kid's karate class.

My favorite comment points out that Bellichick has probably had that loophole in his back pocket for years, knowing it would only work once, and he burned it just to fuck with the Jets at the end of a blowout.

That’s a level of petty I can only respect.

Niners trade for WR Emmanuel Sanders.
    San Francisco is sending third- and fourth-round draft picks in the 2020 draft to Denver, who are also including a 2020 fifth-round pick with Sanders in the deal, the sources said.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Ain't no rule says a grown man can't be in a kid's karate class!

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Niners trade for WR Emmanuel Sanders.
    San Francisco is sending third- and fourth-round draft picks in the 2020 draft to Denver, who are also including a 2020 fifth-round pick with Sanders in the deal, the sources said.
    The "Fuck the '72 Dolphins" bowl between the 18-0 Pats and 49ers is going to be EPIC.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    49ers gotta play the seahawks twice. I would be shocked if they went 2-0 there.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »

Why? At least once per game, Carroll will make or agree with the dumbest possible playcall. It's entirely possible that they lose two games they could've easily won.

Why? At least once per game, Carroll will make or agree with the dumbest possible playcall. It's entirely possible that they lose two games they could've easily won.

cause the 49ers haven't played a super brutal schedule so they aren't as good as they seem and russell wilson is extremely good at football and odds are will overcome carroll's idiocy at least once.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Man, the Niners are not even sniffing 16-0. Probably let a gigantic fart rip against Carolina this week. Two games against Seattle, plus Green Bay, New Orleans, and Baltimore.

The defense looks great and all (finally!), but 4-6 the rest of the way would not shock me.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    If the Pats had last years OL I would feel pretty optimistic about 16 or 19-0. The D is one of the 5 best this century IMO and they are the top scoring team (in part due to defensive scores) so I am not complaining. But Ravens Chiefs Cowboys Texans Bills and Eagles should give a tougher fight and one will probably edge them out.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    i wouldn't be too concerned about the eagles.

aeNqQM9.jpg

cause the 49ers haven't played a super brutal schedule so they aren't as good as they seem and russell wilson is extremely good at football and odds are will overcome carroll's idiocy at least once.

The Hawks have a better record than they should. Wilson is amazing but the rest of the team...

Plus its not like our schedule has been good...

We beat the bengals by 1... at home, the steelers by 2, the cardinals by 17, Rams by 1... at home, and the browns by 4. We should have lost at leaat two of those games if not for dumb luck.

The Rams are the best team on that list and they got drubbed by the 9ers (though they dead beat the Saints who only squeaked by us, footbal is indeed random)

The Bengals are 0-7. The Browns and Steelers 2-4.

Its true the 9ers havent played anyone good but neither have the seahawks beaten anyone good and the 9ers wins have been more convincing. Much more when compared to the same teams

wbBv3fj.png
    edited October 2019
    PantsB wrote: »
    If the Pats had last years OL I would feel pretty optimistic about 16 or 19-0. The D is one of the 5 best this century IMO and they are the top scoring team (in part due to defensive scores) so I am not complaining. But Ravens Chiefs Cowboys Texans Bills and Eagles should give a tougher fight and one will probably edge them out.
    I wasn't serious, but pretending I am:
    We're adding Sanu for the Browns, N'Keal Harry for the Ravens, and probably get Isaiah Wynn after that to shore up the OL.
    Ravens: Ravens just narrowly edged out the 0-7 Bengals and 2-4 Steelers. Meh. 31-17 Pats.
    Chiefs: Was the only remaining game that was a worry, but it's in Foxboro and you know they're going to rush Mahomes back, so he won't be 100% 31-17 Pats.
    Texans: Best remaining chance to beat the pats, but they haven't done it since 2010, and they've already lost to a Brady Backup. 31-17 Pats.
    Bills: Couldn't do it at home, no chance on the road vs a 14-0 squad 17-9 Pats.
    Eagles: Nah, Iggles are struggling and B&B are not going to pass up a chance to avenge the SB loss. 31-17 Pats.

Madpoet on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you're gonna make 4 of the 5 scores 31-17 you need to make all five scores 31-17.

admanb wrote: »
    If you're gonna make 4 of the 5 scores 31-17 you need to make all five scores 31-17.

Gonna have to table that for now.

admanb wrote: »

Nah, Bills D is legit.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'm just insulted you have teams scoring 17 on them

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    PantsB wrote: »
    I'm just insulted you have teams scoring 17 on them
    Jets got 14 in the first game - freaky shit happens. Didn't say it was the D allowing all the points... you kick off enough and somebody will get lucky.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    So the Patriots are 7-0.

And collectively the 6 teams they have played (Jets twice) have 11 wins. And Buffalo has five of those wins to themselves.

Their opposition's entire body of work is 11-27 at roughly the half way point of the season.

Those numbers really are something to hang your hats on.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The weakness of the Patriots schedule is breaking analytics. The Football Outsiders bunch talked about it a bit this week - they think that the Patriots are probably the best team in the league, but not by so much as their model indicates. Still, on a per play, per drive and per game basis, they’re outperforming the bad teams by a substantial margin, generally at least two TDs more than normal margin of victory again them.

The other side of things is that their offence is weird right now. They fail the eye test, and they’re benefiting from a defence constantly giving them fantastic field position, making them look better than they are. And the defence and special teams are chipping in with points. With all of that said, the offence is still on pace for over 400 points, and the team as a whole is on pace for over 500. They’re currently first in the league in points scored.

Belichick obviously feels like some improvements are needed, given the trade for Sanu. But I also suspect that the offence is playing possum to some extent. Belichick likes to try to break tendencies and hide his strategies when games are well in hand. The Patriots don’t like giving other teams usable tape if they can help it. And conversely, the longer the season goes, the more tape Belichick has, and generally the Patriots play their best in November and December.

Which is a long way of saying that none of us really have any idea right now whether these Patriots are an all time great team, but it’s probably not wise to make definitive statements about them being anything other than the front runner until proven otherwise.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.