As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailers: A Brief History

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    If you can
    what does she mean "If we don't win this one it's all over"? Terminators have been losing for six movies straight and that's barely slowed them down. Every film after the first two has been about the fact that the future can't change, so just sit back and wait for the Terminators to disappear in a puff of quantum probability.

Its basically a forever war you can't really stop fighting but you can't win either and in the end none of it matters because so many timelines have been spawned none of them can effect a final victory because people from a different timeline will come back into theirs and stir it right back up again.

Exactly, so just fuck it dude, and go bowling.

the problem is the terminators just keep trying to kill you. If they were willing to go bowling everybody should and just say screw it but because the robots won't stop hunting the humans can't and so it's just a rats nest that can't go anywhere.

The one twist I haven't seen yet is "Alternate Reality Good Guy Skynet."

If they could get a team good enough to actually get a series of movies together, the TV shows idea of a rogue ai faction seeding the past to build a kinder, friendlier skynet is easily fodder for a few movies.

The red band trailer is the first I watched and since they leave the whereabouts of John Connor ambiguous at this point I'm guessing he either makes a surprise appearance or he's dead.

All I know about John Connor in this one is that
    they got Edward Furlong back to play him, but I suspect he'll be in a flashback and they're using that de-aging tech that's all the rage these days.

Possibly real spoilers
    John Connor is dead. The movie opens with a flashback. When the liquid metal Terminator was sent back to kill John in T2, he was not alone. At least one additional T-800 (Arnie style) Terminator was sent back, it catches John by surprise and kills him. Having fulfilled it's objective, the T-800 no longer has any purpose and goes into hiding. He's the old guy Terminator in present day. Sarah went nutterbutters with grief and dedicated her life to hunting down and destroying any and all Terminators that were sent back (apparently there were a bunch).
    I hope that isn't the case as it undermines everything they accomplished together in T2, it showed that the machines and humans didn't have to be combative, and it showed why John was a good leader. You can move past John Connor without killing John Connor. Plus there's no way that Sarah Connor allows the Terminator that killed her son to grow old.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    If you can
    what does she mean "If we don't win this one it's all over"? Terminators have been losing for six movies straight and that's barely slowed them down. Every film after the first two has been about the fact that the future can't change, so just sit back and wait for the Terminators to disappear in a puff of quantum probability.

Its basically a forever war you can't really stop fighting but you can't win either and in the end none of it matters because so many timelines have been spawned none of them can effect a final victory because people from a different timeline will come back into theirs and stir it right back up again.

the problem is the terminators just keep trying to kill you. If they were willing to go bowling everybody should and just say screw it but because the robots won't stop hunting the humans can't and so it's just a rats nest that can't go anywhere.

Not true in the sarah conor chronicles there at least was an AI that was not inimical to humanity. There was one Ai/group of them that was trying to see if coexistence with humans was possible.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's been a while, but I feel like the flesh is rotting off of the Terminator by the end of that first movie, and the notion that they can age into an Old Arnold is wack.

Oh brilliant
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    If you can

If they could get a team good enough to actually get a series of movies together, the TV shows idea of a rogue ai faction seeding the past to build a kinder, friendlier skynet is easily fodder for a few movies.

The red band trailer is the first I watched and since they leave the whereabouts of John Connor ambiguous at this point I'm guessing he either makes a surprise appearance or he's dead.

they got Edward Furlong back to play him, but I suspect he'll be in a flashback and they're using that de-aging tech that's all the rage these days.

Possibly real spoilers
    John Connor is dead. The movie opens with a flashback. When the liquid metal Terminator was sent back to kill John in T2, he was not alone. At least one additional T-800 (Arnie style) Terminator was sent back, it catches John by surprise and kills him. Having fulfilled it's objective, the T-800 no longer has any purpose and goes into hiding. He's the old guy Terminator in present day. Sarah went nutterbutters with grief and dedicated her life to hunting down and destroying any and all Terminators that were sent back (apparently there were a bunch).
    I hope that isn't the case as it undermines everything they accomplished together in T2, it showed that the machines and humans didn't have to be combative, and it showed why John was a good leader. You can move past John Connor without killing John Connor. Plus there's no way that Sarah Connor allows the Terminator that killed her son to grow old.

I don't think there's a good way to follow up T2 without undermining T2. I would have liked a movie showing the war against Skynet, John sending Kyle back and winning the war, etc. They could have done that without crapping on T2. I thought that's what Salvation was going to be but nope.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    If you can

Possibly real spoilers

I don't think there's a good way to follow up T2 without undermining T2. I would have liked a movie showing the war against Skynet, John sending Kyle back and winning the war, etc. They could have done that without crapping on T2. I thought that's what Salvation was going to be but nope.
    If you can

Possibly real spoilers

You're probably right, but you can progress it and move Judgment Day back without killing the core reason behind T1 and T2 existing. You can send them back to kill people who will develop a rival AI or something. I know Furlong is probably too far gone and besides he just doesn't look at all like his T1 counterpart, but still.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    It's been a while, but I feel like the flesh is rotting off of the Terminator by the end of that first movie, and the notion that they can age into an Old Arnold is wack.

The whole point of the flesh on that model was so they could go through the time machine which is disrupted by inorganic materials. So basically the robot is wearing a cloned flesh suit so the outer casing growing old does not seem that far out into left field. It is biological skin and blood it is just the underlying stuff that is robotic.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

The whole point of the flesh on that model was so they could go through the time machine which is disrupted by inorganic materials. So basically the robot is wearing a cloned flesh suit so the outer casing growing old does not seem that far out into left field. It is biological skin and blood it is just the underlying stuff that is robotic.

I thought it was so they could sneak into resistance hideouts and stuff. Only the guard dogs could tell they weren't real humans. There's a nice callback to that in T2.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I believe it's both.

The flesh suited models were initially infiltration units.

It seems inorganic matter can't time travel, but inorganic matter with an organic shell can, because reasons? And then the liquimetal versions just throw that aside anyways, for what I'm sure is a twelve page dissertation on some wiki page somewhere, but I'm totally cool with it having basic guidelines and going from there.

I believe in one of the movies it's mentioned that the flesh will heal/repair itself. It's possible it's capable of aging, and it hadn't occurred to me that this might not just be another T-800 Terminator.

That said, there's a trailer that might spoil that element;
    I'm pretty sure there's one where Sarah tells T-Arnold she's going to kill him when all this is said and done. Maybe it's for reasons other than him being a machine, but it'd have to be a pretty wide misdirect. Since it presumably isn't the one that went into the molten metal, I'm curious where they dug up another T-800, let alone a 'good' one. Either way, I bet it's a hell of a story/flashback.

Edit; to be clear, it could be one of a dozen different fake outs. I get that. But until one actually applies in the film, I'm not convinced that's the case yet.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Isn't aging just random faults in rebuilding your skin? That could totally happen.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Also the flesh isn't rotting off the Terminator in T2, it had been battered, beaten, scraped against things like roads, and shot in the face a few times.

It had suffered major bodily trauma just because of the metal skeleton and being a goddamn robot it was still walking around without a caved in skull.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Also the flesh isn't rotting off the Terminator in T2, it had been battered, beaten, scraped against things like roads, and shot in the face a few times.

It had suffered major bodily trauma just because of the metal skeleton and being a goddamn robot it was still walking around without a caved in skull.

In the first movie, there's a scene where he's sitting in his room after cutting out his damaged eye from the earlier gunfight and car crash, with noticeably pale flesh (ignoring the fact it's a rubber head prop) and flies gathering on his face, and a janitor comments on the smell with "hey buddy, got a dead cat in there". The script refers to his appearance as gangrenous and the novelization includes the additional detail that the small pump that supplies blood to the skin was destroyed by a shotgun blast from Kyle in the nightclub causing the skin to die and rot.

In T2, that blood pump hasn't been damaged and Sarah cleans and dresses the bullet wounds, so it's less likely the skin becomes necrotic like the first movie. Of course how their skin works goes off the rails in the later films and tv series.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I do believe Cameron considers Dark Fate to be a direct sequel to T2 and everything apart from T1/T2 is supposed to be an alternate timeline

There will be no retcon/reconciliations in this movie, I hope. Just gimme more mainline Terminator awesomeness

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I'm just happy that the antagonist terminator finally gets to talk and maybe even have some personality aside from being an unstoppable melee tank

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This is coming to Netflix at the end of November:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3mMFbrbYJM
    Winner of the Critics' Week Grand Prize at Cannes, Jérémy Clapin’s extraordinary and captivating animation debut about a severed hand that escapes its unhappy fate and sets out to reconnect with its body. During a hair-raising escapade across the city, the extremity fends off pigeons and rats alike to reunite with pizza boy Naoufel. Its memories of Naoufel and his love for librarian Gabrielle may provide answers about what caused the hand’s separation, and a poetic backdrop for a possible reunion between the three. I Lost My Body is based on the French novel Happy Hand by Guillaume Laurant who wrote Amélie and features a terrific score from Dan Levy, best known for his band 'The Dø'.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/F95Fk255I4M
    Vin Diesel is all like "Man, fuck Hobbs and Shaw! I'll make my own Hobbs and Shaw and i'll play both Hobbs, Shaw and Idris Elba and there'll be hookers and black jack and dungeons and dragons ... "

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    it's all about the family

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Honestly they could (and should for it to be profitable) rename it Fast and Furious presents Bloodshot

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    God Vin Diesel just play D&D and like wank man.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/1gUR-WRVf6U

Next Bruce cashing a check film

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

Oooooooh I spy the Ghost in that fleet shot.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

In the first movie, there's a scene where he's sitting in his room after cutting out his damaged eye from the earlier gunfight and car crash, with noticeably pale flesh (ignoring the fact it's a rubber head prop) and flies gathering on his face, and a janitor comments on the smell with "hey buddy, got a dead cat in there". The script refers to his appearance as gangrenous and the novelization includes the additional detail that the small pump that supplies blood to the skin was destroyed by a shotgun blast from Kyle in the nightclub causing the skin to die and rot.

In T2, that blood pump hasn't been damaged and Sarah cleans and dresses the bullet wounds, so it's less likely the skin becomes necrotic like the first movie. Of course how their skin works goes off the rails in the later films and tv series.

TerminAhnoldnator also directly says that the damage will repair itself so whatever the circumstances are, it's established at least once that the skin can regenerate and doesn't just die in a couple days.

Additionally, it's not much of a leap that future-John rigged his robot father figure to have skin that would last basically forever, as he specifically sent that Terminator back as a bodyguard. As Sarah points out, a Terminator bodyguard is fairly pointless if he can't pass for human.

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular

I'll put my question in spoilers, as some people are avoiding trailers..
    So it's safe to say that the "evil Rey" thing from the last trailer was some sort of dream? Based on the jumping bit there in the beginning of that trailer.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm obligated to watch that movie even if I feel nothing from that trailer. Ah, well maybe the next trilogy will pull me in.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bloodshot, couldn’t even get mushmouth to make himself pasty white? And poor Eiza Gonzalez you really do deserve better, boo.

It just looks cheap and more like a Lionsgate movie, and with the comics turning to shit ever since Valiant got bought out by a Chinese company it’s probably so watered down for international markets the most graphic thing will be that scene of the face being ripped off to just heal back.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This film would be a lot more appealing to me if it didn't have Bruce Willis' character and just focused on the victim trying to evade the killers in the hospital

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

This film would be a lot more appealing to me if it didn't have Bruce Willis' character and just focused on the victim trying to evade the killers in the hospital
    Or if Bruce Willis was the actual villain.

It'd explain the acting, at least.

sig.gif
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

From the trailer I'm sort of expecting Willis to be the villain. Setting up a witness in an "abandoned" hospital, with a single guard, seems like a really stupid thing to do.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

From the trailer I'm sort of expecting Willis to be the villain. Setting up a witness in an "abandoned" hospital, with a single guard, seems like a really stupid thing to do.

Agreed he's definitely the villain.

Also I'll watch any old shit with Bruce in it so sign me up.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Didn't realize they were remaking The Grudge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEc8yzOYWyI

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The truly important reference that the fans wanted to see
    ecmry92jq41o.jpg
    hvjJ5WmebPriiKrRu3UnN6-650-80.jpg

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Henry Cavill makes me feel like I'm a different species.

Aridhol on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    ecmry92jq41o.jpg

#showfeet

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    ecmry92jq41o.jpg

#showfeet

I mean that's why it's a trailer, obv they keep the money shot for the show

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Things I learned today:

The Witcher was actually books before it was a video game series.

hmmmm.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/F95Fk255I4M
    Vin Diesel is all like "Man, fuck Hobbs and Shaw! I'll make my own Hobbs and Shaw and i'll play both Hobbs, Shaw and Idris Elba and there'll be hookers and black jack and dungeons and dragons ... "

yeah okay, give it to me now

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Henry Cavill makes me feel like I'm a different species.

His chiseled chin looks like it could cut through glass.

It also helps that he's obviously giving effort for the role

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.