As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I'm sure he'll give most of it away, as his gf yells at him when things start piling up (says they are stacked in hallway outside his office).

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    I ate a Taco Bell nachos and didn't win an Xbox. I'd probably end up being 500lbs before ever winning anything.

I mean, being Taco Bell, you're likely only going to retain maybe half of that.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Previously I noted that, if given the option, I like to buy games on Xbox One rather than PC, as a matter of achievements, multiplayer community, and occasional PC reliability issues, etc.

That last category sounded a little overly-pessimistic. Then I spent more than an hour playing the same Elusive Target mission in Hitman 2, five times in a row, because the game crashed every single time I used one of the two escape routes available to you.

I only completed it after switching between DX 11 and DX 12 more than twice. And reverting back to Nvidia drivers from four months ago. And then using a different escape route, which cost me my Silent Assassination ranking, despite having literally completed it with the ranking only to have the game crash during the ending cinematic two runs ago. Best part? This has happened before. It's been an issue since the last game.

Yeah, fuck that piece of shit game on PC. When your game actively requires people play driver roulette so it doesn't crash, your game sucks from a "actually being playable" standpoint.

I would seriously advise against anyone buying Hitman on PC. The PS4 and Xbox One versions of this game don't have nearly these sort of issues.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So, Zombieland: Double Tap-Road Trip looks very much like this old xbox 360 twin-stick zombie shooter Zombie Apocalypse. The First game was developed by Nihilistic Entertainment (defunct), the sequel by Backbone Entertainment (defunct) via merge into Foundation 9 Entertainment (dissolved). High Voltage Software did Zombieland, but I haven't found any ties to the previous devs... yet...

Zombie Apocalypse (Xbox 360 Arcade, 2009 published by Konami... can't find a good screenshot of the sequel atm)
    rxsbrrqfewkk.png

Zombieland: Double Tap-Road Trip (Various platforms, published by Gamemill Entertainment)
    wbfp6huiz8jf.png

I wonder if they picked up the engine from the older game that would have been in limbo a while, slapped some coats of paint on it or something and viola, Zombieland: Double Tap Road Trip.

edit: here's a video of the sequel to ZA... they add special attacks/supers to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwHwUxUafA

Really seems like they may have done that. Bringing this up because I had a strong sense of deja vu before plopping down $40 bucks for the game.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    There retro-arcade game fans like myself, a trio of ACA Neo Geo Collection games are on sale for the low, low price of $4 (at least in the US)--including Samurai Shodown IV.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    All of the zombie-themed twin stick shooters blur together in my mind. They're about as rare as find used chewing gum stuck to the pavement.
    Anyone remember this one, for example?

I'll probably go see the new Zombieland (Jesse Eisenberg is sooo cute, don't '@' me :P ), but this new game seems to be a very stereotypical cheap tie-in, I wouldn't bother with it even if it were F2P.

• Options
    Really liked The Art of Self-Defense, dunno if I'm going to see the new Zombieland in theatres though. Maybe? Kinda wish it was a VOD too.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    That screenshot has what I think is the most bootleg-ass art of Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson I've ever seen

The miscoloring and graininess makes them look like portraits of their stunt doubles or something

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Sometimes likenesses are not available for tie-ins.

Sometimes they're just awful.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    For those more optimistic about game streaming than I am--here's some footage of Project xCloud from Windows Central, including first looks at the UI and the Android app itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpsTVAmEvmc

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I think it's pretty neat that for all the trashing the "Neighbor" game people got for their game that they were still able to make a third installment of whatever it is those games are supposed to be.

edit: pretty neat, not just pretty, ha.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Some people enjoy those games, not me, but eh I don't like a lot of things.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    My understanding of the game is you hide from the AI, so basically Alien Isolation but without killing? IDK.

• Options
    My understanding of the game is you hide from the AI, so basically Alien Isolation but without killing? IDK.

If you can picture an indie game with a stylized environment (the games' cartoonish aesthetic), simple physics-based traversal and puzzles (jumping, knocking a key down, closing and opening doors), and a rather off-beat (not necessarily in a good way, and not necessarily scary) story, I think you've basically struck upon Hello Neighbor. The game is not polished, the controls are awkward (not classic Resident Evil or Little Big Adventure awkward, but awkward), and the total lack of an indication of what to do next--that you need to open a door, to obtain a tool, to remove a screw, to access a ladder, to reach the roof, to enter a room, to obtain a key, etc.--against the backdrop of a pretty simple hide-and-seek game is 90% of the game.

I genuinely think there are substantially less polished, and substantially buggier, indie games out there that get more acclaim--however briefly. I finished the first two acts--basically half the game?--in a hour or so, just because I was curious as to where the bizarreness of the plot ends (and didn't want to just watch a Let's Play) with the help of the guide. Without the guide, it would've taken far, far longer, and been very tedious (really? That specific key is the one I need?). It struck me as the kind of game that is great to watch entertaining people play, because it can supply a constant stream of confusion and aggravation that makes for good entertainment potentially.

The game also speaks to some aspect of suburban childhood life--back yards, sneaking around, harassing adult neighbors, collecting junk--that I'm not familiar with and I think is a bit more uniquely American (even though the publish is based in the Netherlands partially?), alongside a very "American cartoon" style, with giant chrome-plated cars, white picket fences, cartoon horse-shoe magnets, etc. When people say "Oh, man, this game is so Japanese!" (and the game turns out to be made in China or South Korea), Hello Neighbor is the game I look at and think, "Man, this game is so American it boggles the imagination."

As an actual game that you play? Eh, maybe if it were very, very cheap (or part of a subscription...).

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Subnautica is a little rough around the edges but really enjoyable if you like underwater building and exploration.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Hello Neighbor is a game for children

Like seriously 5 years old watch it on YouTube and then demand their parents buy it for them

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I suspect with Hello Neighbor the publisher decided to make it A Thing from day one -- the damn thing even had loads of merch when it first launched. And then people see the merch and think "well, this is A Thing, guess I'll check it out." Same thing with Bendy and the Ink Machine. That game's merch manages to pop up everywhere.

Supposedly the first one sold half a million copies, though the tweet that cites this has been deleted.

Edit: Apparently it's published by Gearbox? Maybe that explains it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Like seriously 5 years old watch it on YouTube and then demand their parents buy it for them

Is this not how 5-y/o children buy video games in general? They see Hell Neighbor or Fortnite (not a purchase initially) or Mario Odyssey on YouTube and get their parents to buy it?

We know it's not exclusively 5-y/o children, because they're not the ones streaming on YouTube, as far as I know. Not in 2017, anyway.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Is this not how 5-y/o children buy video games in general? They see Hell Neighbor or Fortnite (not a purchase initially) or Mario Odyssey on YouTube and get their parents to buy it?

We know it's not exclusively 5-y/o children, because they're not the ones streaming on YouTube, as far as I know. Not in 2017, anyway.

I mean sure, was just clarifying that that's the majority of the game's audience. Probably 75 percent children and 25 adult streamers.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »

I mean sure, was just clarifying that that's the majority of the game's audience. Probably 75 percent children and 25 adult streamers.

Hey, if so, that's a pretty good ratio! No wonder the game "has legs"--a quarter of the games' audience is actively promoting it at no cost.

Sort of how how the most popular Wii U games broke down in player-base before Nintendo got really, really angry about it that time. 1/4 streamers, 3/4 young children.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I really wonder if Hello Neighbor really has legs or the publisher is just pushing the shit out of it in hopes it's A Thing. Three games in three years is a bit much to be totally organic. Still can't find any sales figures other than that deleted tweet or the usual VGchartz lies.

Well, Five Nights at Freddie's did it, but that was more or less one dude.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    That may be the case. Though Hello Neighbor looks as much like the kind of game the publisher would be happy to kill at the first opportunity.

• Options
    Kids games sell well because they're bought as gifts. So while not every kid's parents bought them super deluxe edition of Goat Simulator, their grandparents are probably willing to buy it for them at Christmas or whenever

Not to mention all the merch they sell based on games now a days too. Blind boxes, action figures, and the standard gamut of themed board games and clothing.

The problem is most of those games come and go pretty fast. Minecraft and Fortnite have staying power because they're creative games and they consistently add new stuff to discover. It's like kid catnip.

• Options
    The game did get a physical release, quite unexpectedly for such a spartan (and short) indie title.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    A kid showed up trick or treating at my door last year wearing a Hello Neighbour costume, which took me by surprise. I guess we are all just old people now, yelling at the clouds.

• Options
    A kid showed up trick or treating at my door last year wearing a Hello Neighbour costume, which took me by surprise. I guess we are all just old people now, yelling at the clouds.

What do you mean now?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    So, another Xbox thread, another apparently-huge Twitch personality leaves to join Mixer. More masculine version of Trevor Collins "Shroud", who I have barely ever heard of but does have 7 million Twitch followers and 5.5 million on Youtube, is going to be going over to Mixer.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    To be fair to Shroud, he actually seems to be pretty good at pretty much every game he plays

I barely know the dude but remember his PUBG clips being rather insane

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Yeah shroud is another big FPS streamer, plays a lot of BR games and other FPss, I remember he played a TON of CS: GO back in the day.

• Options
    Also the best part of having streamers move to Mixer is, if I watch them, I don't have to see 14,000 different shitty Pepe and TotalBiscuit emotes being spammed constantly

• Options
    To be fair to Shroud, he actually seems to be pretty good at pretty much every game he plays

I barely know the dude but remember his PUBG clips being rather insane

I assume the same is true about Ninja, but really, I don't have enough points of reference as to a "famous streamer who isn't good at their games."

• Options
    I also don't know if Ninja is good at anything other than Fortnite, I think I remember reading an article that said he started on CoD? Maybe idk

• Options
    I know he played Halo professionally, because apparently that's where he got his start? I'll go ahead and say he was good at it then.

• Options
    Being good at Halo is cooler than being good at CoD, so I like Ninja like +5% more now

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I find myself wondering how a relatively young dude can get a handle like Ninja. I would expect that to be among the first ten or so snapped up on any service the moment it goes live, and you'd have to put up with being Ninja57439543797432 or something.

• Options
    I think he did have a longer handle but when he got bigger he snagged Ninja on twitch

• Options
    Ninja was a pro Halo player who started during Halo 3, but really broke out during Reach and 4.
    I remember watching him stream back in the MCC/Halo 2 Anniversary days, he was just a weird little nerd who never broke more than, like, 900 viewers

• Options
    Apparently his original title was NinjasHyper

• Options
    Oh, and some minor PC news, Gears 5 was one of Steam's top 20 sellers in September, it's been a very long time since a Microsoft game hit that mark: https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1579000950146397607