As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Final Fantasy] Seven Remake is in the wild. Beware spoilers!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I hope they have an option to use the classic PS1 soundtrack instead of the new arrangements in the remake, the orchestrated version of the boss theme they've had in the previews does not get me going like the midi rock version.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    I think the biggest issue with FF15 was the DLC. From a narrative standpoint, the mainline story absolutely assumes you've done it and a bunch of character development and story beats make zero sense without it. With the DLC, I find the story is decent. Not their best, but good enough for me to feel like I got my money's worth.

And the DLC didn't even exist at launch, so people like me have never even seen that story (I gave my copy to my sister after I had beaten it, so I'll never get a chance to play it unless I re-buy the game).

Yep, I played the game on launch day and the first week.

Final Fantasy is my favorite game franchise of all time, and I burned a whole week of PTO at work to stay at home and play XV. I was super hyped for it. And I loved everything leading up to it. I enjoyed both demos. I enjoyed the Kingsglaive movie. I enjoyed the Brotherhood animated shorts. I wanted to like the game.

But the game they delivered on launch day was incomplete and pretty bad. I stuck with it and finished it. But by the end it was basically hate-finishing it. I beat it and got the plat out of spite, not because I enjoyed it.

And I have not gone back to replay it with all the DLC and patches.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    12 was the one i wanted to like but couldnt. Maybe the international version would be better. I think the only ff i liked after 9 was 10-2. And it was almost criminally short. 14 had some cool things, but locking servers at launch due to population meant i couldnt play with friends, and getting groups for dungeons to move the story forward was a pain, so it didnt feel worth my time. I hear the expansions are better, but i dont want to drop like $100 on all the expansions and a sub to try it. I would love a scaled down ff game graphics wise, if they could put out an interesting game. Like make it a little cartoony and give me story and cool combat.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I hope they have an option to use the classic PS1 soundtrack instead of the new arrangements in the remake, the orchestrated version of the boss theme they've had in the previews does not get me going like the midi rock version.
    I played on the PC with a mod that used Black Mages versions of tracks (where applicable). I like the orchestral sound well enough, but I miss my Final Fantasy metal. It suits FF7's grunge so well (I'd also love some hip-hop and trance renditions of themes for certain parts of Midgar).
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    12 was the one i wanted to like but couldnt. Maybe the international version would be better. I think the only ff i liked after 9 was 10-2. And it was almost criminally short. 14 had some cool things, but locking servers at launch due to population meant i couldnt play with friends, and getting groups for dungeons to move the story forward was a pain, so it didnt feel worth my time. I hear the expansions are better, but i dont want to drop like $100 on all the expansions and a sub to try it. I would love a scaled down ff game graphics wise, if they could put out an interesting game. Like make it a little cartoony and give me story and cool combat.
    I love 12, especially the complete Zodiac HD version, but I can see plenty of reasons it wouldn't sit well with a player. What was it about 12 that bounced you off? We can maybe help to see if the new version would grab you or if it's hopeless.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    12 International Zodiac version that they used on the PS4 and Switch ports is very good. They revamped the license board and made each of the characters more specialized into a more clearly defined "class." i.e. Vaan is a rogue now. Penelo is a white mage. And so forth. They also made most of the good gambits way more easily accessible. Gambits are only gated by money and store availability now, and not story progression, which is a huge quality of life improvement.

14 i'm pretty sure just gives away the old expansions now. I'm like 99% certain if you buy Shadowbringers and add it to your existing account, you should have access to all of the content to get caught up. You will still have to play all of that content, unless you pay for a story skip in the online store. But the story is well worth playing. Heavensward is/was my favorite Final Fantasy story of all time. Shadowbringers is super good, every bit as good as Heavensward. Probably better written. I still prefer Heavensward because it's an expansion about dragons, which as a personal preference I like more than the subject matter of Shadowbringers. But there's no denying that Shadowbringers is probably the best MMO expansion pack ever made. And it's definitely a close contender for favorite Final Fantasy story.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Not sure when you tried 14, but getting groups was actually quite easy when I played a couple years ago, even as DPS. Can't really say much about any of the rest, though, but just in case that helps :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Im not sure how far I got in XII but I got stonewalled in the original release by the elder wyrm boss right after a viera village where I just couldn't figure out how to keep everyone from being wrecked by negative statuses with a lot of Gambit making or manual control so I just never went back.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    12 International Zodiac version that they used on the PS4 and Switch ports is very good. They revamped the license board and made each of the characters more specialized into a more clearly defined "class." i.e. Vaan is a rogue now. Penelo is a white mage. And so forth. They also made most of the good gambits way more easily accessible. Gambits are only gated by money and store availability now, and not story progression, which is a huge quality of life improvement.

Would you like to see a technical breakdown of FFXII on Switch and Xbox One? Too bad, you're seeing it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9IGpIehFmQ

Joking aside, it's an old enough game that the technical differences between platforms...is fairly subtle (an option for a 60 FPS framerate aside, anyway, but that could be kind of an odd experience).

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    XII I gave up on fairly early when I spent all my money on a crafting material (thinking it would give me immediate benefit), got to a new area that was impossible to do without new equipment I couldn't afford, and then said "fuck it" to the thought of grinding.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Im not sure how far I got in XII but I got stonewalled in the original release by the elder wyrm boss right after a viera village where I just couldn't figure out how to keep everyone from being wrecked by negative statuses with a lot of Gambit making or manual control so I just never went back.
    Best thing for this one is to just Gambit a couple of the worst ones and suffer the rest. You don't want to spend all your time recovering.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    XII I gave up on fairly early when I spent all my money on a crafting material (thinking it would give me immediate benefit), got to a new area that was impossible to do without new equipment I couldn't afford, and then said "fuck it" to the thought of grinding.
    XII is grindy, but Zodiac has a fast speed feature that makes it so much better.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Not sure when you tried 14, but getting groups was actually quite easy when I played a couple years ago, even as DPS. Can't really say much about any of the rest, though, but just in case that helps :P

DPS queues for regular dungeons run about 15m in my experience. Which I usually spend on crafting or just browsing the forums here or...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Maybe this was always possible and I miraculously evaded it my whole life or just blocked out memory of it but I'm currently standing on empty space in between two boxes in the beginners Hall in vii on switch and it won't let me move anywhere else so that's a fun bug.

Man... This game aged uh, a lot. Barret tells you to not be a girl if you say you can't hold on to the exploded railing. Like cool, thanks, reasonable thing to say in the situation.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Think I'm burning out on FFXII, just cleared the
    Sword of Kings dungeon and having a hard time following the plot. We wanted to get this thing so Ashe could smash nethicite? Did that ever get mentioned before? I thought it was just proof she's a king's kid...

Also all the status effects enemies can cast are kinda wearisome. I try getting creative with the Gambits, but if I'm actually clearing out the ailments and staying alive, I'm running low on MP. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Maybe this was always possible and I miraculously evaded it my whole life or just blocked out memory of it but I'm currently standing on empty space in between two boxes in the beginners Hall in vii on switch and it won't let me move anywhere else so that's a fun bug.

Man... This game aged uh, a lot. Barret tells you to not be a girl if you say you can't hold on to the exploded railing. Like cool, thanks, reasonable thing to say in the situation.

FFVII has held up about as well as two decade old lasagna from that Italian restaurant across town that keeps getting shut down and reopening under a different name every couple of months

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Think I'm burning out on FFXII, just cleared the
    Sword of Kings dungeon and having a hard time following the plot. We wanted to get this thing so Ashe could smash nethicite? Did that ever get mentioned before? I thought it was just proof she's a king's kid...

Also all the status effects enemies can cast are kinda wearisome. I try getting creative with the Gambits, but if I'm actually clearing out the ailments and staying alive, I'm running low on MP. :I
    Only clear the ailments that are critical to remove to be able to finish the fight (and even then, maybe have Gambit priority for finishing off a low-HP enemy). Try to have only one character on ailment-clearing duty, then the other two characters that strictly remove ailments that prevent the curing character from doing that job (and only on that character).

I seem to recall that specific dungeon being pretty rough in that department and also being regularly low on MP. That's one of the few places where I recall running in circles regularly to recover MP between battles. That gets better as your MP tends to skyrocket (and you get more ways to restore it).

Plot point,
    Yes the objective was to obtain the proof. But in the process of obtaining it, Ashe learns what the sword can actually do, and now she finds another potential route to take - one decidedly more violent. At the same time, political winds have shifted, because the Bad Guys are acting at the same time as the player's party, further complicating the way forward.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The plot in XII was impossible for me to follow. Running around trashing monsters was fun enough to keep me going. I really only remember a couple spots in the game where status effects spam got annoying. I was pretty over-leveled most the game though so it wasn't too tough with the right gambits. My strategy was basically everyone pummel the mindflayer asap.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I tried to keep one character on a strict "kill everything fast" Gambit setup. It was usually either my hardest-hitting fighter (hammers, axes, or greatswords) or black magic cast against weakness. Everyone else mixed buffing, recovery, and support attacks.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I tried to set up this weak to fire > oil > fire gambit that turned out to not be that useful except when a fire weak enemy that the oil would actually work on appeared. When that did happen they died quick! There's a lot of possibilities though if you dig into it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/11/25/new-final-fantasy-vii-remake-screens-feature-moogles-weapon-abilities-materia-mini-games-and-more/#sf224484418

Strange in this day and age to get considerable tidbits from a good ol' fashioned screenshot batch plus writeup. Outstanding on the mechanical side of things is character building with a mishmash of elements from FFIX and X: abilities tied to equipment (or at least weapons) and a more straightforward take on the Sphere Grid adjunct to said weapons. You learn abilities tied to each combat implement, and once mastered will keep that ability for later invocation, even after you replace its host. As for the Sphere Grid, it's a pretty straight take, from appearances. Get skill points and spend them on various buffs and attributes from a special menu. With a twist of FFVII flavor, one such attribute is the ability to augment your materia slots. Pretty interesting, and I wonder how this will affect viability of older weapons even in lategame.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Why can't we get all these cool layers in an actually new FF game?

Whhyyyyyyy

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    New Blog from the team: https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-developers

Also they announced that they're already working on Part 2.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Whhyyyyyyy

I'd think that having some of the early ground work already done, since they're working off, in a sense, an existing game and feel that the game has, opens them up to try more things to play with it.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Weapon upgrade system looks almost exactly like the Crystarium from XIII. I'm guessing without the tiers.

I didn't really like the equipment-based system of IX because it encouraged grinding (so you don't carry weak weapons into stronger areas) and made it easy to miss out on important skills if you happened to skip a shop or chest. I feel like that was more of an execution issue than anything else, so I guess we'll see how VII-R.1 handles it. This could easily fall into Guide Dang It territory. On the other hand I'm going to guess there's a lot less equipment than in a game like IX, especially since you basically level these up. That's actually a really good way to drag out equipment drops so that we're not needing original late-game gear while still in Midgar (and then just repeating it or whatever in the next installment). It would also suggest they shouldn't be easily missed / no permanent missing. And Materia probably still has most of the actual important stuff anyway (which also can be a missable problem).

Another interesting thing mentioned in that blog article - Nomura has been planning out the Remake since the Final Fantasy VII Compilation, and it was supposed to be the final title of that run. Was this already general knowledge? Because that's a long time to be ruminating on what to do with this game. No wonder it seems to be absolutely dripping with ideas.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I need to be able to keep my Buster Sword for the whole game. Sure, I'l unequip it to lean new abilities and whatnot, but if I'm not working on that, I want my Buster Sword.

• Options
    I can see that, and I hope it does work like that. I like the newer RPG approach of equipment remaining viable all game (Souls, etc.) but doing different things for you. It also makes a lot more sense. Why do small country villages sell weapons so superior to what's available in Midgar? Why does Cloud bother carrying a sword that is so objectively bad within the world? Why does a bat with nails in it do so much more damage than many specialist giant weapons?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Whhyyyyyyy

I'd think that having some of the early ground work already done, since they're working off, in a sense, an existing game and feel that the game has, opens them up to try more things to play with it.

Yea but they used to have all these interesting systems for every new game. The last few were just a bit more shallow in those areas and now for this one they are finally doing cool stuff again.

Just makes me sad.

Also I like changing equipment I don't like using the same model weapon all game. Heck games where getting new weapons doesn't change the model is a HUGE downside for me. One of the big issues I have with the Trails series. Never feels cool to get a new sword because it's always the same sword.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think we've already seen Hardedge in trailers? He won't have nothing but the Buster Sword the whole game.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    klemming wrote: »
    I think we've already seen Hardedge in trailers? He won't have nothing but the Buster Sword the whole game.

If that is in response to me, yea I know that. I was still responding to the idea that weapons don't get progressively better. I don't personally like that. I like progression with branches when it comes to weapons.

The other part was just an example of how much I dislike the idea of not changing weapons.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    They're working on part two already. Color me impressed.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    They're working on part two already. Color me impressed.

It's possible they've gotten good pre-order numbers already.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Part 1 probably took more of the leg work when it comes to what they wanted to do, what systems they wanted to build, etc. Now that all that is in place, the next part probably won't take nearly as long. I'd also wager that making sure folks know they are already working on part 2 will convince some folks pick up part 1 vs waiting.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    If anyone has tried Final Fantasy VII modding with 7th Heaven on PC, how do you disable the FPS counter? It seems to be on by default.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Part 1 probably took more of the leg work when it comes to what they wanted to do, what systems they wanted to build, etc. Now that all that is in place, the next part probably won't take nearly as long. I'd also wager that making sure folks know they are already working on part 2 will convince some folks pick up part 1 vs waiting.

I absolutely find it reassuring that they're already on to part two, because the Squareenix of recent years has done fuckall to convince me they won't ditch the FF7 remake the millisecond it looks like it might be anything less than an ultra-mega-hit.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Not to be a negative nellie, but "working on part 2" can be a lot of things.

But yeah, presumably now that the systems are in place, work will proceed faster, because hopefully they will be consistent between games.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "we have begun to write the title page of the first draft of the proposal document for part 2"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    "we have begun to write the title page of the first draft of the proposal document for part 2"

"One artist started sketching Wutai in their spare time, and we were like 'sure, ok'"

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

"One artist started sketching Wutai in their spare time, and we were like 'sure, ok'"

But isn't that going to be in part 17?

• Options
    According to those interview articles, they've technically been "working" on the remake since Final Fantasy 7 Compilation. And this is from Nomura (Versus XIII, KH3).
    But, it's almost certain that part 2 is at least in pre-production. They could even already be working on the art assets and engine version porting (because next gen), as little of that is likely needed at this point in part 1's development.
    So. A little optimism, a little cynicism.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Late, but I wouldn't count on it. If part 1 is all Midgar and part 2 is outside of it, there's going to be an absolute shitton of new art assets to create. There's also all the various new things to put in there like new plot, minigames, etc.
    Having the basic engine and combat done will help, but this could still take a loooooong time to finish.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    At the least I would hope that the studio has roughly blocked out A)how many parts it needs and B)where those parts begin/end. That would be the absolute first thing needed imo. (I'd go 1 as is, 2 ending at the end of the temple, 3 at the crater and 4 being the final part*, assuming that it it's only Midgar that actually needs a bit of expansion and you don't want to be daft and make like 6 games)

*ff7 story spoils
    starting 4 as Tifa and spending about a third of it as her would be pretty rad and a fun twist for new players

If actual production has started on part 2 then fantastic, but I'm not counting on it yet.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.