As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Disco Elysium] Hobocop just can't stop

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Sometimes failing a roll advances things in fascinating ways too. You learn more about your partner with failures in my experience and there's at least a few times where success hasn't been as beneficial as I'd hoped.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Does anyone here know the band that did the music (British Sea Power)? I really dig Disco Elysium's music and am wondering which album of theirs might be closest in style to the game's soundtrack.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Why are there so many good games that something like this can just blindside me?

Edit: How likely is it that Disco Elysium comes to Switch?

It is so hard to play a game on the computer anymore.

Winky on
  • Options
    The last 1-2 days I've been exploring the area that opens up after a couple of days, and here I've run into one or two scripting errors of the kind that I pretty much expect from an RPG such like this. I'm currently without my partner, yet he piped up during a conversation I just had, and I've been unable to say certain things to some characters that IMO should've been programmed in (such as an NPC having asked me for a certain piece of information that I didn't know to begin with, and now that I know it, I can't actually tell her). Nonetheless, considering the kind of scripting issues that e.g. Torment: Tides of Numenera had even a year after release, this one strikes me as almost bug free.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I finished this over the weekend, and while the very end was a bit underwhelming, there was a moment in the overall ending that was absolutely beautiful and pretty much unlike anything I've experienced in games (though I understand better now why some compared this to Kentucky Route Zero - there's some of the same kind of magic). All in all, this is probably my favourite RPG since New Vegas, and I wish there were more games in its vein that left out the RPG combat, turned it into something more narrative or at least reduced it so it's 95% about the characters and the storytelling.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    This game is amazing and hilarious

I am a constantly drugged out hippy shaman who is truthful to a fault and INSISTENT that the supranatual totally exists maaan

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I've never felt more like I'm roleplaying than in this game. Is this why people like pen and paper RP so much?!

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I've never felt more like I'm roleplaying than in this game. Is this why people like pen and paper RP so much?!

Pretty much, the game's mechanics feel like they're the digital version of PbtA/Popular modern narrative systems in the same way that traditional CRPG's are digital versions of DnD style systems.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I got frustrated by two game overs and made a new character with 4HP and 5MP. I honestly don't know how I'm progressing without one lucky roll punching the racist.

The game requires a different attitude than I associate with Western RPGs. Dialog options have wrong answers, dead wrong, and they're not always obvious or comical. I keep rushing for an epic conflict that won't come. Disco Elysium is a battle of wits and words.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    It's a new experience to not empty every dialogue tree. There are questions that taunt me in their still-bold text, but I know/feel that just the act of asking the question is going to cause bad repercussions.
    I'm sorry, poet trucker. You're still cool.

I wanted to start out as a dumbass ninja: full reflexes, savoir faire up to here, lots of authority, but no smarts and barely enough HP to stub my toe without killing myself. It's an interesting ride.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how I'm progressing without one lucky roll punching the racist.
    Which one?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how I'm progressing without one lucky roll punching the racist.
    Which one?

Measurehead, I forgot his name.

• Options
    He's definitely punchworthy, but so is the nearby racist lorry driver.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I've restarted a few times and the dialogue is so wildly different depending on your stats and how serious/political you are

It rules and I am scared that it's going to make RPGs released since seem dogshit

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    I've restarted a few times and the dialogue is so wildly different depending on your stats and how serious/political you are

It rules and I am scared that it's going to make RPGs released since seem dogshit

Yeah, playing The Outer Worlds now too, and Disco has made the dialogue and choices in that feel very rudimentary in comparison.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I started to dislike my character, I went with authority as my signature skill as an attempt to play a judge dread type character ( I AM THE LAW ) but that also boosted my inland empire skill and my character felt just a bit too weird and bad at being an actual cop. That and I felt compelled to pick the fascist dialog options which felt icky.

Restarted with a Sherlock Holmes type, good with logic and analysis but bad at talking to people. I've already found things I missed on the first play through. Now that I know where I'm going there's also less pointless walking around.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I got frustrated by two game overs and made a new character with 4HP and 5MP. I honestly don't know how I'm progressing without one lucky roll punching the racist.

The game requires a different attitude than I associate with Western RPGs. Dialog options have wrong answers, dead wrong, and they're not always obvious or comical. I keep rushing for an epic conflict that won't come. Disco Elysium is a battle of wits and words.

About not continuing, if you are where I think you are, are you
    Trying to get into the shipping yard past the scabs and the big dude is standing in your way? You can try to get past him (which is what I think you're doing) or there is another way: (minor spoiler ahead)
    In the yard with the dead body, there is a hidden door to the east that you can see if you do a perception roll (its a white check, so you can repeat if you fail) that leads to a back way to get into the shipping yard.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

About not continuing, if you are where I think you are, are you
    Trying to get into the shipping yard past the scabs and the big dude is standing in your way? You can try to get past him (which is what I think you're doing) or there is another way: (minor spoiler ahead)
    In the yard with the dead body, there is a hidden door to the east that you can see if you do a perception roll (its a white check, so you can repeat if you fail) that leads to a back way to get into the shipping yard.

I know that door, but after a successful roll, I failed a jump roll afterwards on the roof.

In my latest playthrough I'm finally able to advance because of that lucky punch.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    I started to dislike my character, I went with authority as my signature skill as an attempt to play a judge dread type character ( I AM THE LAW ) but that also boosted my inland empire skill and my character felt just a bit too weird and bad at being an actual cop. That and I felt compelled to pick the fascist dialog options which felt icky.

Restarted with a Sherlock Holmes type, good with logic and analysis but bad at talking to people. I've already found things I missed on the first play through. Now that I know where I'm going there's also less pointless walking around.

I found the problem

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the conversation with my brain where I decided to be the Big Communism Builder. That's right, fight the man! Freedom! Equality! Get the firing squads ready! Wait what was that last on-

I like how it seems to generally give you the rundown on what you're choosing to RP as and what that means, but in a funny way where generally your brain is clearly trying to nudge you toward this.

Also Call Me Manana seems like a real decent sort.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Just started playing this.

In some kind of weird attempt at self-sabotage, I'm playing my first character as entirely physical, and putting all skill points from leveling up into Half Light. I just want to see what happens when I keep making my character more and more afraid.

The game has noticed my lack of confidence and has dubbed me "Sorry Cop". It also noticed that I keep asking questions about my past, and has given me an identity to reflect that as well.

Nightfall of the first day is approaching, and I still have nowhere to stay. Hopefully, my six bars of health will be enough to let me survive a night out in the cold.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    You don't have to put all your points in right away. You will unlock thoughts for your brain vault that modify skills heavily. Also gear changes a lot of stats too. By all means go for it, you'll just have access to other stats whether or not you dump in them.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    OMG I THREW MY SISTER'S BREAST

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Wow, this game actually had me scrambling to dig bottles off the streets, pawn everything I can part with, and literally beg to the rich so I can freaking have a place to sleep in.

Fuck capitalism

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Wow, this game actually had me scrambling to dig bottles off the streets, pawn everything I can part with, and literally beg to the rich so I can freaking have a place to sleep in.

Fuck capitalism

It's not begging. It's the working class demanding their rightful share from the bourgeoisie. (+4XP from Mazovian Socio-Economics)

• Options
    I'm getting a bad case of restartitis from this game.

My character is a little too much of a combat monkey. I'm thinking a slightly more balanced character will suit my playstyle better.

• Options

My character is a little too much of a combat monkey. I'm thinking a slightly more balanced character will suit my playstyle better.

Don't take this as gospel, but skills seem to have "passive" breakpoints at 2, 4, and 6 - you "take 6" when determining a skill's strength to chime in without making a roll. Going all 3s means everything chimes in like you're all 2s - 4/4/2/2 spread out will do you better, probably.

• Options
    Glazius wrote: »

Don't take this as gospel, but skills seem to have "passive" breakpoints at 2, 4, and 6 - you "take 6" when determining a skill's strength to chime in without making a roll. Going all 3s means everything chimes in like you're all 2s - 4/4/2/2 spread out will do you better, probably.

I went 3/1/5/3 this time, with Half Light as my signature skill, and I'm enjoying it a lot more. The little bit of extra intellect is making a big difference.

I also feel like I have a better understanding of how the game is supposed to work this go around. I was a little too worried about coming off as rude in my first run. I suppose it hadn't sunk in that its necessary for a detective to ask uncomfortable questions.

• Options
    This game is amazing.

This fucking game is fucking amazing.

This is what I expected out of Outer Worlds. This is the true evolution of CRPG.

And it's a shame we're never going to see another one like this.

• Options
    Beat this game yesterday.

Overall, easily one of the best game I've played this year.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Been a while since I have felt like a game was so insulting to the player as the bottle gathering mechanic. Drove me to edit my save to have infinite money immediately, fuck off with that kind of time padding. I'm a superstar cop, I can afford a room and smokes and cool clothes, thanks.

Tumin on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just don't pick up bottles, then? It's not a requirement for anything that I'm aware of, you get a lot more cash from... anything else, really.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I never even found the bag

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Just don't pick up bottles, then? It's not a requirement for anything that I'm aware of, you get a lot more cash from... anything else, really.

I ran out of cash and had no obvious way to sleep or generate money on the second night, and I did a fair amount of exploring. Read that you can get stuck at 2am day two if you aren't careful, seemed not good.

After the rest of map unlocked things were fine.

Tumin on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Tumin wrote: »

I ran out of cash and had no obvious way to sleep or generate money on the second night, and I did a fair amount of exploring. Read that you can get stuck at 2am day two if you aren't careful, seemed not good.

After the rest of map unlocked things were fine.

You gain like $3 by collecting bottles.

Just accept the fact that you’re a hobocop.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Deleted due to google-fu

Movitz on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I would also say that the idea that you're a superstar cop is precisely the opposite of what this game is putting down

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I would also say that the idea that you're a superstar cop is precisely the opposite of what this game is putting down

Hey man, in the future cops are gonna be like astrophysicists. Or prime ministers. Or prophets. And I'm the first one.

(-1 Logic: Heights of self-delusion)

Also I have an actual art degree which is an amazing help in powerleveling.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Disco Elysium is a very frustrating game to me.

I like what it's doing with the stats. I don't like I'm stuck in this loser cop in this bleak, run-down city having to solve a crime I don't care about.

I realize a lot of people out there love hobocop, but I just don't.

I guess I'm trying to say that I would really love to see Disco Elysium's stat mechanics in some other game.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Disco Elysium is a very frustrating game to me.
    I like what it's doing with the stats. I don't like I'm stuck in this loser cop in this bleak, run-down city having to solve a crime I don't care about.
    I realize a lot of people out there love hobocop, but I just don't.
    I guess I'm trying to say that I would really love to see Disco Elysium's stat mechanics in some other game.

Really, solving the crime is just a means to get better at bringing Art into the world.
    But I'm sorry you can't get into it. I too want three more games in this engine yesterday, but wow it's got to be a heck of an undertaking to write. I would settle for just the skill conversations and not the skrillion plot flags, but those plot flags are pretty sweet too.

Glazius on