As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2020 Badges Go On Sale 3pm EST TODAY

2»

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    That was a big mess up. Still, I think it was better than last year when we all got a "hot tip" and then had our rooms canceled. Now the anticipation of the actual event begins!
    Last year, I was put in the right line, lol.

Haha fair. But what is a PAX without the anxiety and horror of getting tickets/hotels! Hope you were able to grab what you needed!
    Quite true. Fortunately, I only go Thurs/Fri, so the chances of those selling out today are null. Finally got my tickets, though. It was more about completely unnecessary stress and drama. The people who got screwed trying to get a hotel room are way worse off. For them, I sure hope some type of compensation is made, but that's going to be hard to confirm who did get screwed and who is just trying to ride the free train.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
    oh god they have 4 day passes. got mine..... what an exhausting 45 minutes :?

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Well I saturday are sold out now

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    helen0rz wrote: »
    damn really? I had about a 15 min wait and just thought it was me being slow and thus cannot see Westin/Aloft/Element.

To be fair, I was searching for Wed-Mon reservations, which have lower inventory to begin with, but it was still surprising to see so many options gone so quickly. At the end of the day I'm just glad to have a reservation, even an imperfect one.

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    Xenigma wrote: »

To be fair, I was searching for Wed-Mon reservations, which have lower inventory to begin with, but it was still surprising to see so many options gone so quickly. At the end of the day I'm just glad to have a reservation, even an imperfect one.

yeah, that's my mindset right now, that at least I have a reservation. It looks like it's a 20 min walk, so it's not that bad or anything terrible.

I guess I'll be checking in the days to come to see if anyone release their reservation so that I can update it. for now, this is fine.

48vla9t2j9ff.png
    Sepioth wrote: »
    Satoru wrote: »
    I got into the queue in less than 30 seconds, and ~1,000 people were already ahead of me... damn

You're in the wrong line! They sent out the wrong link the first time!!!
    And those of us that got screwed will just receive a "sorry" notice. I get that mistakes get made, but... man, that's a big one.

A big screw up. And to boot the hotel line messed up and kicked me from 300 people to 6000 ...

Still though got in right line a secured a 4 day pass
    Oh wow... that's brutal. I guess I should stop complaining.

Well I dont need a hotel.. live 30 min from convention center.. I didnt realize I was in the hotel line till I saw a new tweet...

All is good though.. i still got my tickets. Have yet to miss out on a PAX East so far... lol

Same here man I live in Newton so like yeah dont need a hotel so I was VERY VERY CONFUSED looking for where the tickets were on that hotel page

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I got into the queue in less than 30 seconds, and ~1,000 people were already ahead of me... damn

And those of us that got screwed will just receive a "sorry" notice. I get that mistakes get made, but... man, that's a big one.

A big screw up. And to boot the hotel line messed up and kicked me from 300 people to 6000 ...

Well I dont need a hotel.. live 30 min from convention center.. I didnt realize I was in the hotel line till I saw a new tweet...

All is good though.. i still got my tickets. Have yet to miss out on a PAX East so far... lol

Same here man I live in Newton so like yeah dont need a hotel so I was VERY VERY CONFUSED looking for where the tickets were on that hotel page
    First we end up in the wrong queue together, then we live in the same town... are you following me?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    So I managed to secure a Saturday pass for a friend even though said sold out.. refreshed and let me buy it. There was no more queue.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    So I managed to secure a Saturday pass for a friend even though said sold out.. refreshed and let me buy it. There was no more queue.
    Once you are through the queue, you are through the queue for some predetermined amount of time. You can only purchase up to your allotment of badges though regardless, so even with multiple orders, do not go over the imposed limits in cumulative total.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Well, the hotel mistweet kinda hosed me, booking-wise. Ended up at the omni parker, which is...okay, I guess?

Did get the needed 4-day passes, though!

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    Xenigma wrote: »
    Badge purchase at 3PM was super easy, albeit after like a 5 minute queue. Hotel, despite being in very early (I had less than 40 ahead of me in queue), still wasn't able to choose Westin/Seaport/Aloft/Element. I've got an okay reservation locked in, but looks like yet another year of trying to upgrade my room for a few months...

So my friend did the same thing, went in the hotel queue instead of the ticket queue (I kept refreshing the website, so I ended up in tickets by default). He said Westin was available, but he was only staying Saturday night. So it might be that multiple nights were blocked because Friday or Thursday was sold out.

This happened to me last year, so I took a Westin room for Wed check in and Thurs check out. Then each day, I would modify the booking to the next day. Then so on. Sure enough, it took a couple months, but I got to PAX with a Wed-Mon booking.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• 3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Got rooms and badges for my group! Excited for another PAX East!

I clicked the hotel link once it popped up, thinking I was in the badge queue. Looks like that turned out to be a good thing anyway, because it helped me secure a good hotel! Not sure how true the numbers were, but the page claimed I was 8th in the queue. I may have missed it in the list, or maybe this was already known, but I was surprised to find that the Hilton Downtown-Faneuil Hall wasn't listed. I've stayed there the past 4-5 years, and have gotten pretty used to it after after not being able to get rooms in the Renaissance my fourth year. I knew the seaport was a good spot, and managed to grab some rooms there, so everything worked out! Excited to be so close to the convention center for what is likely to be a very cold PAX!

rd4rhJL.png
    edited October 2019
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Once you are through the queue, you are through the queue for some predetermined amount of time. You can only purchase up to your allotment of badges though regardless, so even with multiple orders, do not go over the imposed limits in cumulative total.

I had already purchased my 4 day pass. I needed a second to help a friend out and hit another queue. Managed to score another 4 day. Then he needed a Saturday and being at work is difficult for him so I said I would try.

The website said sat sold out but I clicked link anyway to buy tickets. There was no queue and it said sat sold out. I refreshed and sat was available. I went through and bought it. Its sitting in my showclix account now.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zerzhul wrote: »

I had already purchased my 4 day pass. I needed a second to help a friend out and hit another queue. Managed to score another 4 day. Then he needed a Saturday and being at work is difficult for him so I said I would try.

The website said sat sold out but I clicked link anyway to buy tickets. There was no queue and it said sat sold out. I refreshed and sat was available. I went through and bought it. Its sitting in my showclix account now.
    Yup, that will happen. The sold-out includes badges in carts, so someone likely timed out or cleared a cart, and so it shows up again. It's super fickle right around when they are getting to that ultra-low spot.

can someone who has experience with connections housing help me understand something?

so I got Hyatt Regency. I plan on keep checking back to see if anyone released any Element/Aloft/Westin. how easy is it to cancel my Hyatt Regency and rebook? I've never done it before (even before the change) because I never had to, but if there's a chance I wonder if it's worth the trouble?

48vla9t2j9ff.png
    can someone who has experience with connections housing help me understand something?

so I got Hyatt Regency. I plan on keep checking back to see if anyone released any Element/Aloft/Westin. how easy is it to cancel my Hyatt Regency and rebook? I've never done it before (even before the change) because I never had to, but if there's a chance I wonder if it's worth the trouble?

Use a second email to secure your second booking, then cancel the first after secured. It's actually easier to do with connections than the old system. Close friend did it last year.

The issue a lot of us ran into with this new service was it not communicating to the hotel and some people losing their bookings. There weren't many, maybe a couple, but enough to raise pitchforks.

erdub14zr3u2.png

Whatever the reason @zerzhul it will make a 10yo happy lol.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    MephistoN7 wrote: »

Use a second email to secure your second booking, then cancel the first after secured. It's actually easier to do with connections than the old system. Close friend did it last year.

The issue a lot of us ran into with this new service was it not communicating to the hotel and some people losing their bookings. There weren't many, maybe a couple, but enough to raise pitchforks.

so essentially, when I see an opening to the hotel I want, use another email to book it. Wait for confirmation email before cancelling my first one?

I did read about people losing their booking. so what guarantees do I have with my second booking? I guess it's about the same?

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular

I did this for West. You'll have to create a separate reservation. If you can book even 1 day at the hotel you want, book it. Then email them at PAX@connectionshousing.com and ask to add the other dates you want. It's a f'n archaic system but it's how they do it.

I will say though, the Hyatt is great. It's not "close" to the CC, but it's much more conveniently located to literally anything else you want to do. I've stayed there many times and walking to the CC isn't too bad. If it's super cold, there's always Uber or whatever.

Marino wrote: »

I did this for West. You'll have to create a separate reservation. If you can book even 1 day at the hotel you want, book it. Then email them at PAX@connectionshousing.com and ask to add the other dates you want. It's a f'n archaic system but it's how they do it.

I will say though, the Hyatt is great. It's not "close" to the CC, but it's much more conveniently located to literally anything else you want to do. I've stayed there many times and walking to the CC isn't too bad. If it's super cold, there's always Uber or whatever.

That...is more work and complicated than I would like. If you’re recommending Hyatt, then I probably will stick with Hyatt. I’ll never forget how extremely helpful and awesome you were to me several years ago and thus, your words = the way to go.

48vla9t2j9ff.png

First we end up in the wrong queue together, then we live in the same town... are you following me?

No....maybe?

https://tenor.com/view/cliffs-spy-peeping-george-clooney-ocean-gif-5797030

8-)

That...is more work and complicated than I would like. If you’re recommending Hyatt, then I probably will stick with Hyatt. I’ll never forget how extremely helpful and awesome you were to me several years ago and thus, your words = the way to go.

If its the Hyatt in downtown then I agree while not "close" to the CC you'll be in the heart of Boston's financial district which is near Faneuil, Boston Common, Chinatown so lots of stuff within walking distance.

While the area near the CC is 'better' than its been in the past (aka its no longer a wasteland of literally nothing except Gillette) its still kinda sparse.

If its the Hyatt in downtown then I agree while not "close" to the CC you'll be in the heart of Boston's financial district which is near Faneuil, Boston Common, Chinatown so lots of stuff within walking distance.

While the area near the CC is 'better' than its been in the past (aka its no longer a wasteland of literally nothing except Gillette) its still kinda sparse.

It’s Hyatt Regency. I guess that’s the downtown one? I am considering doing the Freedom Trial which will take me through all the sites soooo that’s exciting to know! Honestly, a lot of this hotel business is just too much work and more convoluted than it seems. I’m more than likely going to keep the Hyatt.

48vla9t2j9ff.png

It’s Hyatt Regency. I guess that’s the downtown one? I am considering doing the Freedom Trial which will take me through all the sites soooo that’s exciting to know! Honestly, a lot of this hotel business is just too much work and more convoluted than it seems. I’m more than likely going to keep the Hyatt.

Yeah that's the one,. Yeah from there you can start at boston commons and walk the freedom trail up to faneuil and the north end. Given its March, you're probably not going to want to walk over to Charlestown unless you're a glutton for being cold, or you really really really want to see the USS Constitution. But all the 'big tourist' stuff part of the Freedom Trail is in Fanueil/NorthEnd so you'll be fine.

I did read about people losing their booking. so what guarantees do I have with my second booking? I guess it's about the same?

There were two regulars in particular who shared horror stories that when they called the hotel 2 weeks prior to PAX they had no record of their reservations. IIRC, they were able to get things sorted out. But once the word spread, we took the initiative to call our hotels and make confirmations.

The new system is very archaic and ancient in function, but as a result it has more ways to work around the system to secure the room you want. If that makes sense (it doesn't).

And keep checking the forums! A lot of times people will post in a dedicated thread when they're releasing reservations for others to have. We try to look out for each other. :biggrin:

erdub14zr3u2.png

• MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

Hey, thanks!

If you're flying in, you can take the Silver Line for free from the airport all the way to South Station. From there, it's less than half a mile walk up Essex Street to the Hyatt.

Marino on

Hey, thanks!

If you're flying in, you can take the Silver Line for free from the airport all the way to South Station. From there, it's less than half a mile walk up Essex Street to the Hyatt.

:D Mannnnn! Thank you so so much for the tip! Really appreciate it!

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So long as you don't plan on frequent trips to your room the Hyatt is a pretty dope spot actually. I'll have friends in there.

Sleep wrote: »
    So long as you don't plan on frequent trips to your room the Hyatt is a pretty dope spot actually. I'll have friends in there.

nah, generally when I'm doing con stuff, I'm just out all day. After looking at the map and see whats around, I do like how centralized Hyatt seems to be. I'm probably going to hit up that chinatown more than I think I will be.

48vla9t2j9ff.png

Hey, thanks!

Please note that in true Boston fashion, the Silver "Line" you may be think to be some kind of subway or perhaps even a streetcar. After all we call the subway the Red and Orange Line, and the streetcars the Green Line.

But oh boy we sure do like screwing over poor people! So the "Silver Line" is in fact a glorified bus. Which they gave all the poor people after they ripped up an existing rail line and 'promised' them an actual you know subway/train system. hahah dumb poor people did you really think they were going to do that. hahaha!

Hey, thanks!

Please note that in true Boston fashion, the Silver "Line" you may be think to be some kind of subway or perhaps even a streetcar. After all we call the subway the Red and Orange Line, and the streetcars the Green Line.

But oh boy we sure do like screwing over poor people! So the "Silver Line" is in fact a glorified bus. Which they gave all the poor people after they ripped up an existing rail line and 'promised' them an actual you know subway/train system. hahah dumb poor people did you really think they were going to do that. hahaha!

For a free ride to downtown from the airport, it's fine by me. There's only like 3 stops on the way around the Trade Center area. Plus, I always like getting some Regina Pizza first thing.

nah, generally when I'm doing con stuff, I'm just out all day. After looking at the map and see whats around, I do like how centralized Hyatt seems to be. I'm probably going to hit up that chinatown more than I think I will be.

There's some good eats around Chinatown. Note hotpot is like all the rage now so the lines for that are gonna be insane. If you need some food tips let me know. Bonus forum points will be awarded for pics of you eating dim sum with a chicken foot in one hand, and intenstines in the other had :D

There's some good eats around Chinatown. Note hotpot is like all the rage now so the lines for that are gonna be insane. If you need some food tips let me know. Bonus forum points will be awarded for pics of you eating dim sum with a chicken foot in one hand, and intenstines in the other had :D

food tips would be great! I'm Taiwanese sooooooo chicken feet and intestines are nothing weird to me LOL!

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular

food tips would be great! I'm Taiwanese sooooooo chicken feet and intestines are nothing weird to me LOL!

If you're looking for dim sum the top place I know is the empire garden restaurant.

690 Washington St, Boston, MA 02111

I haven't been in years but this was always the go to spot when I was living more city adjacent.

edited November 2019

Hmm most of the good Taiwanese places are outside of downtown Boston. According to my HK expat friends and wife places worth eating in Chinatown

Dimsum
    - Windsor Dim Sum Cafe (no carts)
    - China Pearl (carts)

Regular Chinese
    - Peach Farm
    - Jade Garden

Bakery
    - Crown Royal Bakery - this is a bit weird to find but like all the old local chinese people pack this place like its an old age home so you know its good. Also the only place that makes good HK styled milk tea.

Other Stuff
    - Pho Pasteur (vietnamese noodles) : As this is now I think the only vietnamese restaurant in chinatown its kinda busy
    - Penang (Malaysian) : Not sure why but this place isnt as busy as it used to be, but the food is good so its a good backup place
    - Ding Ho : ok this is literally like a hole in the wall place with greasy chinese street food. BUT they do have fresh rice noodle rolls!
    - Bubble Tea : somehow this has made a second coming in Boston and you can't throw a boba bubble far enough before it hits 5 different places. I'd probably recommend Royaltea Boston, or Gong Cha
    - Beard Papa - A Japanese chain of puff cream pastries

Things to Avoid

- Anything hotpot : this is now some kind of 'trendy' thing now so while there are a ton of these places, they will all be packed to the rafters with people lining up outside to freeze to death.
    - Gourmet Dumpling House : This is like a 'tourist' place. I mean the food is good, but the line is out the door and isnt like 'knock your socks off' amazing. If you can get in without much of a wait that's fine. But dont line up for this place. There are plenty of other options that dont involve freezing to death outside.

Given you're in downtown here are some places to eat depending on where you end up

Lobster Rolls - note that these are all kinda expensive, but they're gonna be like $22-25 no matter where you go, and at least at these places you're gonna get fat juicy tail meat and not 50% coleslaw 50% 'stuff that looks like it might have been lobster before'

_ Paulis' - get the heated buttered roll! If you do the freedom trail you'll end up in the North end so its on the way
    - James Hook and Co

Other

Lady M - If you've never had a mille crepe cake, you definitely want to get this
    Eataly - kind of an 'experience' thing, its an italian shopping mall with restaurants and food inside.
    Santouka - Probably the best ramen in downtown, the problem is mostly its a tiny place so seating is an issue
    LA Burdick - Their hot chocolate is to die for. And I think they literally just melt a 1lb bar of chocolate into the cup because this is stuff is thick and rich and pours thicker than motor oil. and its amazing. Great for a winter day.
    Ogawa Coffee - A coffee shop from Kyoto. They don't mess around. Sit down for a good good cup of coffee
    Boston Public Market - You might want to eat at Fauniel Hall but its always crowded. I prefer going over to this smaller market. Easier to walk around, find seating etc
    Saus - Get the liege waffles

Avoid:
    Mikes Pastry. Given you'll end up in the North End if you do the Freedom trail, this is a famous tourist hell hole and every tourist will have a box of this stuff walking around. You might be tempted to go in. DO NOT. Instead go literally next door to Cafe Vittoria which is way better. I mean take a picture in front of it so you can 'say' you went there, and just walk away.
    Union Oyster House - This is a tourist trap and expensive. Its 'rustic' and all but not really worth spending money to eat. Again just take a picture, and pretend you sat in the booth JFK used to.

Satoru on
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for the list Satoru! A couple of places you mentioned we have it here in Dallas where I am (like Beard Papa, GongCha and Pho Pasteur), but I'm adding all the other stuff to my map right now!

helen0rz on
    48vla9t2j9ff.png