As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Girl Is an Excellent TV Show Now - Current Episode Spoilers Inside

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Latest episode:
    Roving anti-alien mobs with *Tiki torches* and Super Girl fighting a fire-breathing dragon. The dragon felt like they had some left over CGI budget and had to spend it.
    Seemed kind of out of place with the rest of the episode. They should have SG literally punch Mecha-Hitler in the face or something.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm about halfway through the episode, but I just now realized that Kara trying to infiltrate the Children of Liberty is pretty much the modern version of Superman infiltrates the KKK.

Unfortunately, this isn't so much a homage, and more of a "I can't believe we're still dealing with this shit 80 years later."

Schrodinger on
    N-th metal shattering the way it did was kind of BS.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I did like Manchester Black referring to himself as The Tolerant Left though. That was a solid guffaw.

sig.gif
    It seems like at some point, they turned Kara's heat vision into concussive force blasts.

It's happened twice this crossover.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Spoiler for tonight's episode
    I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT ABOUT PSYCHO PIRATE

It seems like at some point, they turned Kara's heat vision into concussive force blasts.

It's happened twice this crossover.
    That's what usually happens; just ask Heatwave and Captain Cold.

sig.gif
    Brainiac going undercover:

DuEtAZwVYAAyXZ4.jpg

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yet it worked and was great!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I dig this show, but I had to bail after the first few episodes of the season because I really, really, really can't handle a thinly-veiled immigration debate at a time when real-world immigration policy is causing so many to suffer.

Have they moved on to a different storyline, or?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I dig this show, but I had to bail after the first few episodes of the season because I really, really, really can't handle a thinly-veiled immigration debate at a time when real-world immigration policy is causing so many to suffer.

...The show is firmly on the side of the people who are suffering. I'll admit that it is a little ham-handed and on the nose, but it's heart is in the right place and it doesn't punch down.

I'm not sure what your objection is.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

...The show is firmly on the side of the people who are suffering. I'll admit that it is a little ham-handed and on the nose, but it's heart is in the right place and it doesn't punch down.

No, I totally understand that. My objection is that real life exposes me to far too much hate and immigrant suffering as it is, so I don't have the mental energy to endure more depictions of hate and immigrant suffering during my downtime, even if it's done in the service of ultimately being uplifting.

Let's just say that if this particular plot thread was on TV, say, four years ago, I'd be totally fine with it.

Edit: It's the same reason I can't do the Handmaid's Tale right now. I know it's great and has a powerful message, but I get enough of the garbage it warns about in real life as it is.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    First two minutes of the latest episode.
    Alt!Kara is shocked by a defibrillator, which causes lightning to travel around the world, hitting a bunch of pills in National City, giving them the ability to turn people into Hulks.

What is this plot? Who wrote this?

No, I totally understand that. My objection is that real life exposes me to far too much hate and immigrant suffering as it is, so I don't have the mental energy to endure more depictions of hate and immigrant suffering during my downtime, even if it's done in the service of ultimately being uplifting.

Let's just say that if this particular plot thread was on TV, say, four years ago, I'd be totally fine with it.

Edit: It's the same reason I can't do the Handmaid's Tale right now. I know it's great and has a powerful message, but I get enough of the garbage it warns about in real life as it is.

Unfortunately, it would be a huge disservice to the subject matter if this issue resolved itself over quickly.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Maybe Cloudeagle should sit this one out until the rest of the season is out. After tonight's episode, I'm seeing things going considerably worse in the next few/several episodes. At least if you wait until later in the season (maybe until the season finale is out), you'll be able to shotgun through the whole thing instead of watching the setup episodes and stewing over it until the cathartic resolution episode(s) comes out.

So far, though, I have to admit that the front half of this season is just rubbing me in all the wrong ways...especially the whole
    shift in the Alex and Kara dynamic from before the break

I dunno...it just kinda feels like there was a thematic shift of the series that happened back in season 3 and it's just veering further and further away from what originally drew me to the series. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to be sticking with the season (for the time being) as I'm already financially committed to the season (pretty sure Xbox Movies & TV doesn't give refunds) and, at this point, daddy needs his fixcatharsis.

EDIT - also, I've already had to fully skip an episode. There is absolutely no way I'm going to jump into the 3rd episode in a multi-series crossover arc without having watched the others. As cool as the crossover teamup arcs can be, I wish they didn't happen as I've written off Arrow and Flash a season or two back.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    The current seasons of Arrow and Flash aren't really necessary to watch/enjoy the crossover. I think the only "important" thing to know going in is
    Oliver was in prison for a bit.
    Which you know if you'd heard anything about the current season. I've dropped Arrow and Flash too, but I tuned in and was following along just fine.

Anyway, current episode:

Lena and James
    They were being willfully stupid. Like, James easily gives Lena a way out of the Gov't deal, and she doesn't really want to do it anyway, but they break up over it and she decides to go forward just because.

Villain of the Week
    Yay, The Elite! Woo! Can't wait to meet their Not-Doctor Who.

Other stuff
    So long as they don't actually defeat the Children of Liberty forever and ever (that's too convenient), all their dumb bullshit is fine. Also the kid delivering the kill strike was ham-handed as hell.

I'm guessing the mind wipe is how they'll get Alex to be her best self so that when she's inevitably un-wiped, she can stop being Kara's Babysitter on missions.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »
    The current seasons of Arrow and Flash aren't really necessary to watch/enjoy the crossover. I think the only "important" thing to know going in is
    Oliver was in prison for a bit.
    Which you know if you'd heard anything about the current season. I've dropped Arrow and Flash too, but I tuned in and was following along just fine.

Anyway, current episode:

Lena and James
    They were being willfully stupid. Like, James easily gives Lena a way out of the Gov't deal, and she doesn't really want to do it anyway, but they break up over it and she decides to go forward just because.

Villain of the Week
    Yay, The Elite! Woo! Can't wait to meet their Not-Doctor Who.

Other stuff
    So long as they don't actually defeat the Children of Liberty forever and ever (that's too convenient), all their dumb bullshit is fine. Also the kid delivering the kill strike was ham-handed as hell.

I'm guessing the mind wipe is how they'll get Alex to be her best self so that when she's inevitably un-wiped, she can stop being Kara's Babysitter on missions.

Should put quote marks around the "Other stuff" section. In particular:
    around the "kill" in "kill strike."

I've been noticing that the characters in the show are just getting dumber and dumber.
    The baddie is literally throwing countless baby alien symbiotes...might want to run a scan on the baddie to make 100% sure that she's symbiote-free before releasing her into gen-pop

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Everyone involved believed it happened, so I'm willing to entertain that stupidity if it gets me what I want.
    I want to see The Elite.

sig.gif
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Wow they really went there with putting 'Mad World' on in the middle of that scene.
    Laying it on a bit thick. Like, we get it, Supergirl.

Zilla360 wrote: »
    Wow they really went there with putting 'Mad World' on in the middle of that scene.
    Laying it on a bit thick. Like, we get it, Supergirl.

I've been saying either/both "Laying it on a bit thick" or "A bit on the nose, aren't we?" every single episode this season.

edited April 2019
    Lex Luthor! Lex has an Adrian Veidt moment - "I took the cure ten minutes ago..." And they killed off Manchester Black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqqbOu0FDa0

Zilla360 on
    Season 4 Episode 19:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixwBzCNfNqk

I was totally tearing up watching this scene. You get me, Nicole, you get me. :+1:
    She even had a fight scene with Lenny Kravitz's cover of 'American Woman' as the backing track, kicking ass. Heck yeah! :D
    Quality has been all the way up and down this season, but I keep watching because of Nicole Maines being amazing in every scene she's in. :)

Season four finale:
    Lex is totes still alive, I bet. I had to look up who/what Leviathan was.
    Pretty okay end to the season.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Supergirl's getting a new costume, no more skirt.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Gonna take some getting used to, since there's just solid blue where the splash of red was.

sig.gif
    Well, that was a disappointing ending.

Well, that was a disappointing ending.
    Yeah, Lena shows that she is a Luthor, but not in the way she thinks she is.

sig.gif
    edited October 2019
    So, looks like the new season started a couple/few weeks back. I've been on the fence about picking it up after season 4, so would welcome any feelings on the first couple episodes of this season.

Erlkönig on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So, looks like the new season started a couple/few weeks back. I've been on the fence about picking it up after season 4, so would welcome any feelings on the first couple episodes of this season.

Shockingly, there's been a status quo change at the Daily Planet.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    edited October 2019
    Last season was hard to watch because it was too real. Touched on a lot of important issues going on in the country.

This season is going for a contived "Lena is pissed at Supergirl for stupid reasons and is acting evil" storyline.

It might get better when Winn returns and introduces some much needed comic relief.

Schrodinger on
    Last season was hard to watch because it was too real. Touched on a lot of important issues going on in the country.

This season is going for a contived "Lena is pissed at Supergirl for stupid reasons and is acting evil" storyline.

It might get better when Winn returns and introduces some much needed comic relief.

Well'p...

I'm out then.

Hated Winn.

Yeah Lena and Supergirl ought to be getting along now (Kara told her the truth), but Lena has this stupid grudge.
    Kara has saved her life multiple times as Supergirl! Lena knows this... yet... Blah!
    So now Lena is infecting people (well, just Eve Teschmacher so far) with the AI/nanites she made, because vengeance?

The new Batwoman show is off to a pretty good start, though IMO. Lesbian Batwoman kicks ass! :)

Erlkönig wrote: »

Well'p...

I'm out then.

Hated Winn.
    Eh, he got better as the show went along, and now he'll be all growed up from all that hoity-toity future livin'! Plus it's a limited thing, he's not coming back as a regular. At least not this season.

Brainy was definitely a upgrade though.

As far as the actual story goes
    I'm kind of hoping Lena accidentally (or on purpose) re-invents Indigo, just because Lena has a pathological hatred of even the idea of secrets being kept from her.

sig.gif
    Yeah Lena and Supergirl ought to be getting along now (Kara told her the truth), but Lena has this stupid grudge.
    Kara has saved her life multiple times as Supergirl! Lena knows this... yet... Blah!
    So now Lena is infecting people (well, just Eve Teschmacher so far) with the AI/nanites she made, because vengeance?

The new Batwoman show is off to a pretty good start, though IMO. Lesbian Batwoman kicks ass! :)

Okay, that settles it. Hopping over to Batwoman.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its ok friends lena has to turn evil so its a better dramatic arc when they get married at the end of the season

its all planned out

obF2Wuw.png
  • RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular

I don't know. A lot of the writing on that series is rough, even for a CW show. I'm willing to give it some rope as a brand new series, but still.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I like the whole Kate Kane/Alice dynamic so far.....but that's the only thing that really stood out for me as of yet. Standard CW superhero show otherwise <insert cynicism here>

edited October 2019
    Im just not excited about the idea of a live action Bat universe in general, and the crossover we saw last year seemed like they were trying to go for way to edgy.

I loved the way that Arrow first started off because it focused on realistic white collar villains that were grounded.

Schrodinger on
    I should also mention that Batwoman has Rachel Maddow on the cast list (!) as a radio host that serves as a kind of diegetic narrator for in-universe events.

IMO I find that kind of rad (!) and hope that she stays on beyond just one season. I would start a [Batwoman] thread but it would probably just die on the vine...

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I should also mention that Batwoman has Rachel Maddow on the cast list (!) as a radio host that serves as a kind of diegetic narrator for in-universe events.

IMO I find that kind of rad (!) and hope that she stays on beyond just one season. I would start a [Batwoman] thread but it would probably just die on the vine...

I swore they must have got a sound alike because the genuine article would probably cost too much for a CW show and didn't bother to check the IMDb page.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee