As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Outer Worlds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

JedocJedoc In the scupperswith the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
Or longer than that if you've got the time to spare, I'm not your dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AI_u_0oJRQ

Outer Worlds is the new Obsidian first-person sci-fi RPG that is definitely not Fallout: New Vegas with the serial numbers filed off, and definitely isn't a thoughtful game of exploration that resets time on a set schedule. I'm not even sure why you'd say something like that.

It's an Epic exclusive, but also seems to be available on Microsoft's Game Pass. Which kind of feels like a mean girl saying "None of you three are invited to my birthday party. Except you, Epic. And you, Game Pass. Not you, Steam. None of you except not Steam are invited to my birthday party."

If you were looking for a new take on Fallout: New Vegas without all of Bethesda's bullshit, it seems like this might be your jam. Let's do a thing!

GDdCWMm.jpg

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This thread title is a war crime.

This game is very good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have suddenly become very excited for this over the last couple days
    I don't know if I'll stay up to play it when it unlocks tonight but at least I have the weekend for it

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You son of a bitch

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hahahahahahahaha

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I loved this game. Space exploration in such a lovingly handcrafted solar system, with that 22 minute timer each time, was just so relaxing and chill. Love it.
    fuck anglerfish though

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I bought the game but it doesn't release until tomorrow here on PC
    I just wanted to come in and tell Jedoc you're an absolute monster

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Change exploration to exploitation

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Goddamn, what a thread title

You beautiful bastard

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    This exchange, about an hour and a half in, made me leap out of my chair and go JESUS CHRIST

For bonus points, she has to pay his gravesite rental fees because she is his closest living relative

Only they aren't related

She found his body so she was the closest living person in relative distance to him upon discovery and is responsible

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I can't be the only person that went JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS THIS THING DOING HERE!? at the
    chicken at the botanical place

• Options
    There are a few gravestones that the game highlights as readable.

They are depressing and it took me a bit to notice the difference in the quality of grades based on amount earned.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    No RPG has ever made me want to play a murder-happy sociopath.

The first two hours of this game have me real damn close. Burn it all down.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I was planning to wait to play this due to the cost but it's on Game Pass so for £1 I'm gonna get to play this.

That's insane!

Downloading now.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I will never not pick the Dumb dialogue options.

They're all really good.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, it's going to be rough going from Prey straight to Outer Worlds. F is the Interact/Pick Up/Damn Near Everything button in Prey, while in Outer Worlds it's the Waste a Stimpack button. Also, in Prey you can hit the spacebar while falling to gently glide to the ground, and the most efficient way to get around often involves jumping off the highest point in the room.

I get the feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time broken at the bottom of various cliffs, with no medicine because I huffed it all while trying to loot containers.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    How much does the PC version of this feel like a console -> PC port?

Can I rebind all keybinds? Like, all of them? No hardcoded keybinds like the Fallout games had etc

Are the menus and stuff mouse friendly or are they all scrolling ones?

Honestly the UI in recent Fallout and Elder Scrolls games have put me off all of them basically forever so I am sincerely hoping this game doesn't have the same issues.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately, the amount of console jank in this game is holding steady at Fallout 4 levels.

The controls for all your in-game actions are fully rebindable, and they actually seem to have been thoughtfully laid out for KBAM. You've got four weapon slots assigned to your first four number keys, or you can shuffle between them using the mouse wheel. Movement, aiming, and shooting all feel good, and it feels like they actually used all the keyboard keys they needed rather than limiting it to the number of buttons on a controller.

However, menu controls are not rebindable. Not only can't I make it let me back out of menus using the back thumb button on my mouse, I can't rebind the buttons to bring up the map or journal or inventory.

Menus are pretty console-y. You can click on everything just fine, but everything is split into submenus that you navigate from the top of the screen.

It's all stuff that I've made my peace with by now, but if you were put off by Fallout 4 and Skyrim there is no balm here for your weary soul. Sorry.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Oh, has anyone noticed if the Dodge gives you iframes? I unlocked the Dodge forward option but it doesn't seem useful if you're sprinting since it doesn't look like it boosts you forward any faster.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    The sliders in the character created felt limited and with that lighting cycling during creation was really hard to tell if I was getting the right shade of black hair/brown skin I wanted. It looks good though and its refreshing to be playing a FO esque game without god awful faces and the writing is sharp right from the jump.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don’t love that there’s just a harsh cut from gameplay to dialogue

I know the Oblivion zoom in is made fun of, but I wish they still just did it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I played about 3 hours last night.

There is something very comforting about the game. It feels like a game from last gen, from the way it plays and how the world is broken up, the character interactions...it feels like a game right before open-world bloat took everything over, a game is expected to be 70 hours long and that's BEFORE all the GAAS and DLC and microtransactions. I think it's one of the reasons it's reviewing so highly and has people gaga for it because, while it's lacking stuff like a super robust char creator, the pick up every single thing that's not nailed down Fallout 4 thing, mega AAAAAAAA graphics, CINEMATIC STORYTELLING WITH AN ALL-STAR CAST and "this is the only game I'll ever need to play now" thing that modern games tend to shoot for, it feels like something you'd find and love and gush about from a decade ago.

There's something nice about it just being a game, no having to connect to servers all the time, no constant microtransaction hooks, no HUGE open world with hundreds of minor stupid lore collectibles to find, no "the Halloween Kill 'Em All and Let The Law Sort 'Em Out weekend event starts tomorrow!! Be sure to kill as many marauders as possible for a purple lootbox!!!" ads on the launch screen. It's making me more forgiving of the game's flaws, for sure, because it just feels kind of...quieter, I guess. Less demanding of me.

Anyway, good game, I'm liking it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I do wish the show/hide helmet options was a quick toggle on the armor screen instead of in the settings.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I let the game talk me into playing it on normal. Oh well, there's always the next playthrough. I really like it so far, nothing to add to the other posts. What is unfortunate to me is that I hear Ashly Burch when I talk to Parvati. By that I mean that I hear her, and can't make both mesh. That's definitely a me thing though

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You could always just change the difficulty mid game.

I started on normal and thought this was fine, got merc'd a couple times. Then I switched to keyboard/mouse because switching weapons and inventory was annoying on controller, and woo shit is ez-pz. I'm early enough where starting over on hard would be okay, but eh. Whatevs.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I played this on both PC and Xbone last night. I like it! PC version seems... fairly solid performance-wise? A few hitches here and there but overall I didn't notice any severe problems.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah I found a plasma rifle and charged shots were 1-shotting Marauders. I died a few times too, but Hard still might be on order.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Played this a bunch today. This is a good ass game I will say though
    Your first two companions are a spunky young girl with a knack for technology who falls in love with your ship, and a priest with a dark past who is handy with a weapons and has criminal connections.

I too have seen firefly Obsidian. And to be fair, this is pretty close to being firefly the game, so, fine I guess.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Considering there's been a Firefly: The Game-shaped hole in my life, I'm fine with Obsidian cribbing heavily.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I will post a picture later but I have made Space Doc Holliday
    Smart, smooth talker, good with a pistol, but don't ask him to throw a punch or lift anything heavy

I thought about dropping to below average in strength or temperament to really lean into the "dying of tuberculosis" bit but decided that wasn't quite necessary

I do have a very good mustache though

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I will post a picture later but I have made Space Doc Holliday
    Smart, smooth talker, good with a pistol, but don't ask him to throw a punch or lift anything heavy

I thought about dropping to below average in strength or temperament to really lean into the "dying of tuberculosis" bit but decided that wasn't quite necessary

I do have a very good mustache though

put all points into the "huckleberry" skill

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Playing on pc but pushing out to the tv. But the text is maybe a bit too on the small side with this method.
    Fun so far though. Started out on hard but might be a little rough going that way for a while. But I do at least have a buddy now.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Is there a third person view like bethesda fallout? Or is it stuck to first person?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    First Person only, as far as I can tell.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the amount of console jank in this game is holding steady at Fallout 4 levels.

The controls for all your in-game actions are fully rebindable, and they actually seem to have been thoughtfully laid out for KBAM. You've got four weapon slots assigned to your first four number keys, or you can shuffle between them using the mouse wheel. Movement, aiming, and shooting all feel good, and it feels like they actually used all the keyboard keys they needed rather than limiting it to the number of buttons on a controller.

However, menu controls are not rebindable. Not only can't I make it let me back out of menus using the back thumb button on my mouse, I can't rebind the buttons to bring up the map or journal or inventory.

Menus are pretty console-y. You can click on everything just fine, but everything is split into submenus that you navigate from the top of the screen.

It's all stuff that I've made my peace with by now, but if you were put off by Fallout 4 and Skyrim there is no balm here for your weary soul. Sorry.

Well that blows, that just straight up means I can't play the game at all without using external programs or hoping for a mod. And honestly I've had so much trouble using those methods for Fallout 4/NV/3/Skryim etc that it's not worth it for me at all.

I'm really, really disappointed. Hardcoded keybinds are not at all accessibility-friendly.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    so I did just buy this

no fucking way am I sticking with this Rick and Morty looking motherfucker

yeah thanks for the save, I'm sure you're all altruism buddy

I'll take my chances with the corporate overlords and their gilded cage, thanks

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    so I did just buy this

no fucking way am I sticking with this Rick and Morty looking motherfucker

yeah sure thanks for the save, I'm sure you're all altruism buddy

I'll take my chances with the corporate overlords and their gilded cage, thanks

You think gild is free? If you work hard, maybe chrome.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Zxerol wrote: »
    You could always just change the difficulty mid game.

Can't do that. It's a thing with me.

Anyway, Apparently there is (Comes Now the Power spoilers!)
    a third option to solve the power situation, but for that Adelaide must admit what her fertilizer is (corpses, as I immediately suspected). That never happened for me, unfortunately, and I don't know why. Couldn't talk to Reed about it either, so I'm stuck with choosing either/or still. Meh.
    Eh, nevermind, the option presented itself anyway. That is a weird way to go about it.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I don't get how the priest is all that similar to the Firefly priest past a superficial level.

• Options
    They are a priest on a smuggler ship with an eclectic crew who also is good at shooting people.

Pretty much just that.