As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Indie Games] h o n k

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    You folks say you like janky garbage games that are also awesome but then you all hate David Cage

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    You folks say you like janky garbage games that are also awesome but then you all hate David Cage

Well there's your problem

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

david cage games generally involve some deeply upsetting shit

swery makes very bad but charming games

cage's games tend to be mechanically sound but HOO BUDDY

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I mean, two out of three usually isn't bad. The problem with David Cage is that the missing third is "also awesome."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Comparing Swery to David Cage makes me actually angry

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

XWJkvaf.jpg

oh my deep, deep hatred of human-like sci-fi robots as allegories for civil rights movements

it is the most tiresome of tropes

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah Swery comes off as very sincere and when he does have missteps (like the Thomas stuff in DP is handled... awkwardly) it seems more borne out of ignorance than actual malice

plus Swery doesn't come off as an arrogant blowheard whereas David Cage really wants you to know that his game has an Important Message and that Message is that Racism Is Bad, Actually

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Somehow, the video game that explicitly used robot as an allegory for racism also included the classic Big Scary Black Man as its primary character of color.

Because David fucking Cage.

IKknkhU.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    OH YOU WANDERED INTO THE WRONG NEIGHBOURHOOD BUDDY

liEt3nH.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

what's a david cage

is that a cage for..... davids?

Everyone should shut up and go play the Missing, and think about how much of a terrible hack idiot David Cage is

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Everyone should shut up and go play the Missing, and think about how much of a terrible hack idiot David Cage is

The Missing is shockingly good and is material evidence that Swery can learn from his fuckups and actually improve

IKknkhU.gif
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

can't i do that without plaing the game?

i'm american, i can easily think the worst of someone with no actual proof

Stilts wrote: »
    Somehow, the video game that explicitly used robot as an allegory for racism also included the classic Big Scary Black Man as its primary character of color.

Because David fucking Cage.

also he was a magical negro

it was very bad

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also didn't Cage literally defend himself with the evergreen line of "I'm not racist, there is a black person in my game!"

Moriveth wrote: »
    Also didn't Cage literally defend himself with the evergreen line of "I'm not racist, there is a black person in my game!"

"I know plenty of black people"

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The Missing is so fucking good

"This is a story about regeneration" might be the best video game line ever?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

The Missing is shockingly good and is material evidence that Swery can learn from his fuckups and actually improve

The text at the start of the game alone is a million times more powerful and sincere than any of the side-mouth bullshit David Cage has spouted about being progressive.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay I bought The Missing

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Yes, also used Elen Page being gay in the same way. Note that Elen Page had not come out at the time of the game, and also she came close to legal action against Cage for them creating a nude model of her in the game assets without her consent

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The Missing really got under my skin and unsettled me, but in a good way.

Also it made me cry a little. It's a great game.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Yeah Swery comes off as very sincere and when he does have missteps (like the Thomas stuff in DP is handled... awkwardly) it seems more borne out of ignorance than actual malice

plus Swery doesn't come off as an arrogant blowheard whereas David Cage really wants you to know that his game has an Important Message and that Message is that Racism Is Bad, Actually

except when he got criticized for how ham-handed his game's politics were, then it was suddenly just a game about robots, because ol' dave magically created schrodinger's allegory somehow

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The robots have to go to the back of the bus

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    But what if the robots...are the bus.......

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    But what if the robots...are the bus.......

jfzsuf7bco62.gif

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The robits at the back of the robot bus are actually the buses immune system defending it from bad/poisoned Energon cubes. #DumbTakes :rotate:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

XWJkvaf.jpg

oh my deep, deep hatred of human-like sci-fi robots as allegories for civil rights movements

I mean, that's literally where the word comes from (Okay, technically Soviet era stuff, but it was a workers rights story from that perspective)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    whyy david cage is piss

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

XWJkvaf.jpg

I mean, that's literally where the word comes from (Okay, technically Soviet era stuff, but it was a workers rights story from that perspective)

That's kind of the thing, the concept has already been done so many times and in so many different, better ways that if you choose to do it today, you'd damn well better have a more interesting or nuanced take than just "robots are like how slaves used to be and that's bad".

In this story, the robots LIKE being slaves and

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

XWJkvaf.jpg

That's kind of the thing, the concept has already been done so many times and in so many different, better ways that if you choose to do it today, you'd damn well better have a more interesting or nuanced take than just "robots are like how slaves used to be and that's bad".

or, hell, you can just do that even, but don't act like you're a fucking genius who just came up with the idea for the first time and why isn't everyone sucking your dick about it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    "You see, unlike in Blade Runner, the robots in my story are meant to be empathized with."

liEt3nH.png
    In this story, these robots have big swinging dicks

That's all it's about

That's all it's about

now we're getting somewhere!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

That's all it's about

The preferred term is groinular attachment.

steam_sig.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

That's all it's about

now we're getting somewhere!

I mean, you'd think so. But Ian McEwan tried that in Machines Like Me, and that book fucking sucked.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

That's all it's about

Now when you say a swinging dick, is that like, a double action hinge affair? Or are we talking a well lubricated ball-and-socket structure?

flexible ballistic gel sheathing around a heavily articulated powered skeleton capable of a wide range of movement

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

That's all it's about

Now when you say a swinging dick, is that like, a double action hinge affair? Or are we talking a well lubricated ball-and-socket structure?

Look, it's a groinular attachment.

It swings both ways.

Children's rights are human rights.