As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Just hanging out by the backsteps. Bigun':

l0jgf3eur81m.jpg

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Katydid!

Fun to catch, but bitey.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Important science information:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjSP2xYZm8

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Katydid!

Fun to catch, but bitey.

Bitey? Huh, did not realize that.
    The one that I caught inside seemed pretty chill while I was carrying it outside.

see317 wrote: »
    Katydid!

Fun to catch, but bitey.

The one that I caught inside seemed pretty chill while I was carrying it outside.

It's been a while since I've sufficiently offended either, but, anectdotally, I'd put the intensity and proclivity a little higher than a preying mantis getting pinchy? They're not aggressive*, but they're capable of letting you know when they're done being manhandled by some kind of ambulatory flesh mountain.

*Unless you are in Madagascar?

https://www.newsweek.com/new-species-katydids-are-aggressive-and-have-big-biceps-702115

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Katydids are one of the best bugs

Hanging out in the butterfly garden again, but it's now a moth garden? One of them (the 3rd and 4th picture) appeared to have a set of wings inside a set of wings.

https://imgur.com/gallery/DkzIByE

edited September 2019
    Veevee wrote: »

Hanging out in the butterfly garden again, but it's now a moth garden? One of them (the 3rd and 4th picture) appeared to have a set of wings inside a set of wings.

Is the second one camouflaged such that it appears to be smaller, less appealing moth?

"Nah, I want one of really juicy ones look like bark" *keeps flying*

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    A friend of mine found a new friend and asked me if I could help out identifying it.

Well, specifically he asked me if YOU ALL could help, because let's be real he knows

[EDIT] Wow that image is too big. hopefully i fixed it

Rend on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    I didn't but here's a smaller one
    laxhb1hh01r1.jpg

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Looks like a box elder bug but with a stealthy paint job.

Leaf-footed bug. They're pretty chill. They don't bite, and unless you've got a godawful swarm they don't drink enough plant juice to hurt anything.

sz5b49lfav4d.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm 100% sure that it's a genus of leaf footed bugs called Leptoglossus (a lot of the species in that genus have that wide band across the back) and the shape of the rear legs as well as the two spots on the pronotum leads me to believe that it's a Leptoglossus zonatus, aka one of the leptoglossus species referred to as the Western leaffooted bug.
    HHERZH6RFZIRCZQRNLXR2L7RELQZBLGRLHQRULXZSH0ZZH6R3ZSRHH0RPLYLWLFL2LMRNLKRNLQRPL.jpg
    They're common around Texas, but you can find them in every state along the mexican border.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    u2v91ejn56jm.jpeg
    q3pzf85sqkiy.jpeg

Hopefully this uploaded right from my phone. My dog saw this thing just walking in the entryway. It was like 1-2 inches long. Black head mostly orange everything else. Im in oklahoma. Just curious what it is. There are lots of weird bugs around my house, but this was the only one that cooperated with pictures/i remembered to take a pic.

Greetings, fellow Okie! That looks like a flower longhorn beetle.

Happily, while you often find them in your flower beds, they are not harmful to plants. The adults are inefficient yet enthusiastic pollinators, and the larvae feed on decaying wood without attacking healthy trees.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Well i dont feel bad for putting it outside instead of squishing it. And my dog didnt eat it.

Jedoc wrote: »
    Greetings, fellow Okie! That looks like a flower longhorn beetle.

Happily, while you often find them in your flower beds, they are not harmful to plants. The adults are inefficient yet enthusiastic pollinators, and the larvae feed on decaying wood without attacking healthy trees.

I don't think it's a flower longhorn beetle. The flower longhorn beetles have a narrow pronotum (neck-shield) and usually elytra that are widest at the front and then narrowing towards the back (giving it an elongated heartshape).

This longhorn has a pronotum nearly as wide as its thorax and a straight body that doesn't narrow but instead comes to a blunt end.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Katydid!

Fun to catch, but bitey.

It's been a while since I've sufficiently offended either, but, anectdotally, I'd put the intensity and proclivity a little higher than a preying mantis getting pinchy? They're not aggressive*, but they're capable of letting you know when they're done being manhandled by some kind of ambulatory flesh mountain.

https://www.newsweek.com/new-species-katydids-are-aggressive-and-have-big-biceps-702115

I've never picked up a preying mantis, but I've held katydids many times and never had one bite me. I wonder if its limited to some species?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Not having any sense of scale to that picture, my brain said "firefly". But yeah, at 1-2 inches long, that would be a big honkin' firefly.

38thDoe wrote: »
    Katydid!

Fun to catch, but bitey.

I've never picked up a preying mantis, but I've held katydids many times and never had one bite me. I wonder if its limited to some species?

Could be, but I was at most 8 years old the last time, so it may have been more to with my excited little hands than it's natural temperment.

For example, being pinched by a mantis probably requires one to repeatedly poke one's fingers into their pincers; as one does when one finds a wild animal with pincers.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    As long as you are polite a mantis is usually happy to treat you like a warm tree and you can generally just help them over to a good hunting spot.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    As long as you are polite a mantis is usually happy to treat you like a warm tree and you can generally just help them over to a good hunting spot.

Yeah, while out on a Cub Scout hike we came across one ~6 inches long that was pretty happy to just hang out on someone's hiking stick while everyone got a great look at the cool monster bug.

Mantises rock.

Mantises can pretty much be summed up as "Be Polite, Be Efficient, Have a Plan to kill everyone you meet".
    Note that american and european mantises won't attack you unless severely provoked, but some asian mantises are big enough that they think they can scare you off if they're aggressive enough and will be more easily antagonized.
    2R0HXRFZIRCZGRSH4RDLPRVLYLYZ0RTZ8RHHXZ1LXZSH4RHHIZBLKZELRZNLYLELZZNLJLPLYL9L7R.jpg

During the summer, I was hanging out enjoying my friend's garden, when I spotted a mantis on a bush. Then a few minutes later, I spotted another on the same bush. And another. And another. Wonder if they were having a Battle Royale or what.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    ssshhh you don't talk about fight club

camo_sig.png
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Can one of you fine folks help me identify what this guy is:

hy944m3c9cyh.jpg

I found a handful of them hanging out in a gnarly looking blue bin out in a garage - some kind of roach maybe? It was only things that looked like this - some might have been fuzzy. They were small and my eyes suck.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Woodlouse of some flavor

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I have a bug centric question.

This tree/bush/whatever is always loaded with bees every time I see it.

ftFlpmnl.jpg

I'd have gotten closer but frankly, bees terrify me ever since I was swarmed by them. They just constantly fly around and on its leaves.

They probably have a nest hidden in there.

edited October 2019
    Quid wrote: »
    I have a bug centric question.

This tree/bush/whatever is always loaded with bees every time I see it.

ftFlpmnl.jpg

I'd have gotten closer but frankly, bees terrify me ever since I was swarmed by them. They just constantly fly around and on its leaves.

I don't see any bees in that picture, but, judging by its discolored leaves, that Ilex boggart may be in survival mode.

They're in the holly family, but rather than producing toxic berries like their cousins, they ward off potential predators by emitting a psychoactive chemical that, when inhaled, causes fear in most mammals.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So the bees might just be in Quid's mind? Goddamn Scarecrow and Poison Ivy teamup right there.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I now want a ring of supervillain bushes around my yard to scare off people without them even knowing why.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I'm trying to find a source for that fact? And that species doesn't exist?

VishNub wrote: »

Yeah, when I googled I just got some Harry Potter fanfic. Might have to take this over to the Plant Identification Thread.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Yeah, when I googled I just got some Harry Potter fanfic. Might have to take this over to the Plant Identification Thread.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a joke.
    I'm guessing if someone were to discover a plant that could exude fear inducing inhalants and then named it after Harry Potter, there would be considerable amount of information out there. Like, just between the Harry Potter, Plant and Science threads on these forums...

I'm guessing if someone were to discover a plant that could exude fear inducing inhalants and then named it after Harry Potter, there would be considerable amount of information out there. Like, just between the Harry Potter, Plant and Science threads on these forums...

Yes, sorry, I thought that was apparent enough to not include a more obvious wink, but I guess nature is pretty crazy at times.

Just not mind-bees-crazy.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Yes, sorry, I thought that was apparent enough to not include a more obvious wink, but I guess nature is pretty crazy at times.

Well, until YOU gave them the idea, I'm sure they'll have it down in a few more months, thanks for giving nature ideas Arb!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    We have a plant identification thread?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

nature is just crazy enough that would be believable

camo_sig.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    38thDoe wrote: »
    We have a plant identification thread?

@38thDoe No, it's much less frequently requested. You can make a separate thread for your question though.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Okay so good news- two of those are butterflies!

The first one is probably the Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia) in the family Nymphalidae.

The second is actually a moth, probably in the family Noctuidae (but I'm bad at moths), and maybe a Corn Earworm (Helicopvera zea) but don't quote me on that. I'm pretty sure of the Family, though

The last two pictures are of a Skipper, in the family Hesperiidae, which are technically also butterflies. I am horrible at skippers, but they are really easy to get to Family level, since their antenna have little "hooks" on the edges. You can see this in the third picture you uploaded!