As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I really need to start writing down what paints I used for what.

I use the ap but I am kind of annoyed with it as their are paints that I need for certain projects and others I need for across the board. So I had to make a list on my phone saying what's for what and in priority I need them.
    [the silly thing is the 9 paints I need to finish my veiled path harlequins are the universal ones. I have been too lazy/despondent to get them I also have a voucher from when my paint blew up bringing it down even more from GW {then I would have to get X more for free shipping}

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I use the ap but I am kind of annoyed with it as their are paints that I need for certain projects and others I need for across the board. So I had to make a list on my phone saying what's for what and in priority I need them.
    [the silly thing is the 9 paints I need to finish my veiled path harlequins are the universal ones. I have been too lazy/despondent to get them I also have a voucher from when my paint blew up bringing it down even more from GW {then I would have to get X more for free shipping}

Look, nitroglycerin is not a replacement for thinner medium.
    But seriously: What?

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Look, nitroglycerin is not a replacement for thinner medium.
    But seriously: What?
    I bought some paints from GW and one blew in shipment
    ba98xrp86eb9.png
    weca2brc8lr2.png

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’d like to see a battletech ‘skirmish’ game at a somewhat larger scale. Not nearly Titanicus scale but something with mechs that can come in multiple sizes. Dreadnought sized Atlases and so on for 1-4 mechs a side.

It’s mostly just an excuse for big highly detailed mechs though.

That's easy: use 1/60th scale models. It's a whole thing.

And then weep that you had to take out a second mortgage on your property just to afford the models.

So, not much different from a GW hobby?

Don't forget the new addition to the house you'll need to play in with weapon ranges reaching 20 feet at that scale.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • FeinarFeinar Registered User regular
    My Skarbrand!
    q0yy4xiipvs8.jpg

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I’d like to see a battletech ‘skirmish’ game at a somewhat larger scale. Not nearly Titanicus scale but something with mechs that can come in multiple sizes. Dreadnought sized Atlases and so on for 1-4 mechs a side.

And then weep that you had to take out a second mortgage on your property just to afford the models.

Don't forget the new addition to the house you'll need to play in with weapon ranges reaching 20 feet at that scale.

I have that awesome bigscale madcat sitting above my TV. I need to get around to repainting it (I painted it in college and it's bad).
    I think I bought it at a toystore, but don't know anything more about the line. @Nips Was there more mechs produced? I vaguely remember a Summoner that I regret not buying at the time.

website_header.jpg
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    McGibs wrote: »

I have that awesome bigscale madcat sitting above my TV. I need to get around to repainting it (I painted it in college and it's bad).
    I think I bought it at a toystore, but don't know anything more about the line. @Nips Was there more mechs produced? I vaguely remember a Summoner that I regret not buying at the time.

Armorcast produced a short line of the Invasion era Clan 'Mechs in resin, IIRC. Looks like just the Mad Cat, Vulture, and Atlas (might not be a complete list). After Armorcast gave up the license, 1/60 scale models like this turned into a cottage/garage kit industry. There's a small handful of very-limited-scale manufacturers that still put out kits; they're out on the corners of the internet, and occasionally on eBay.

There was also the Tyco toyline of plastic "action figure" style products; I think they're pretty close to 1/60 as well, but no cheaper since they're long OOP.

There's also also the 3D printer type people out there, doing big scale work.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    My brother has one of the I think a garage kit mad cats [it's both well done and could be better} he says it's the timber wolf variant. I know he has a few of the tyco ones [I have seen the thor and elemental I think he has one more but all these are stored in a box in his room} But he got very vocal about what wizkids did to BattleTech with comments of society doesn't work that way history shows this.

I just don't know
    mt0bl2vkfi30.png

I may redo the flesh but I think I am going to redo the spear and drybrush/edge highlight with a gold I will probably drybrush over the armor with gold as well or just do the linework

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Or just play in the backyard. The traditional form of miniature wargaming that we use in a lot of games today was largely pioneered by, of all people, H.G. Wells in 1913 with a rulebook for a game he designed called Little Wars. Battle were fought with tin or lead soldiers, and armies had artillery cannons that shot large matchsticks. Since the scale was so nutso a lot of the time games would be played outside simply because there wasn't enough room in the house:
    XLCPQsI.jpg

i76cNqQ.jpg

If you're interested, the original book is public domain now, and it's a pretty fun read.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    It's interesting how this hobby escalates...

-Me 2 years ago, getting back into the hobby after 15 years away- "Oh wow... GW has washes now so I don't have to make my own"

-Me this week- "Ugh... this rust technical paint isn't exactly what I want." *orders rust oxide pigment and acrylic medium to make my own rust*

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I have these 3D printed parts for my armigers and I'm annoyed because I'm not sure how I can prime them efficiently.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Khraul wrote: »

-Me 2 years ago, getting back into the hobby after 15 years away- "Oh wow... GW has washes now so I don't have to make my own"

-Me this week- "Ugh... this rust technical paint isn't exactly what I want." *orders rust oxide pigment and acrylic medium to make my own rust*

Or digs in vain in the old paint to see what's still good because you lack that paint or are not fond of that tint

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

I've been there

Next thing you know you skip airbrushes and go straight to getting 3d printer and trying to solve it clogging on the real wood filament so you can stain a elven tree thing for an army display.

steam_sig.png

I've been there

Next thing you know you skip airbrushes and go straight to getting 3d printer and trying to solve it clogging on the real wood filament so you can stain a elven tree thing for an army display.

I should post a photo of my 3d printed Leviathan dread :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    5b5I2bx.jpg

NWTFZip.jpg

Halloween n all that.

edited October 2019
    auwi1qt6x4q2.jpg

Obviously a work in progress... this is the alpha legion green I wasn't happy with that I'd mentioned earlier, so this guy will eventually be that black/blue rusty color scheme with some glowing green bits.

Nevertheless, a 3d printed Leviathan dread with magnetized arms.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Finished the last two stompybots of my first lance! This was an exercise in panel lining, and I'd like to think that my hand got a little steadier as I went along, but I'm really not sure.

Awesome (aka: Brick Sh!thouse)
    BT_awesome.jpg
    BT_awesome_turn.gif

Commando (aka: Little Man)
    BT_commando.jpg
    BT_commando_turn.gif

And the whole crew.
    BT_lance01.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Damn, those are so nice. It's making me want to dig through my dusty old boxes of gaming stuff, and find the mech list from the merc company I ran in high school.

I finally primed all the armor for my castellan and armigers.

xosaiijw6uzf.jpg

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho.
    machine_gun.jpg

I'm gonna buy some jewelry chains from Michaels to add some hanging chains to my castellan. Should I prime those before painting on them or should it be fine to just add a wash and a light dry brush?

I'm gonna buy some jewelry chains from Michaels to add some hanging chains to my castellan. Should I prime those before painting on them or should it be fine to just add a wash and a light dry brush?

Depends on what the made the chain from as stainless or nickel doesn't take paint

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I just did in one assembly-line job more painting than probably in the past two or three years combined, But now my Kasrkins are all done, including a couple of kind sloppy conversions to give me hotshot volleyguns too.

2m8YSI4.jpg

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho.
    machine_gun.jpg

God, that green is so good! I hate it!

Depends on what the made the chain from as stainless or nickel doesn't take paint

Pretty sure the ones I got aren't stainless steel or at least it doesn't say it is stainless steel. It does say nickle free though.

Pretty sure the ones I got aren't stainless steel or at least it doesn't say it is stainless steel. It does say nickle free though.

Plated zinc

edited October 2019
    I think I need to get a new airbrush again. This one I have has so many issues. Not I'm getting constant speckling when using my airbrush.

I literally just cleaned it so I don't know what's going on. I'm using a GW airbrush paint with thinner as well.

Stragint on

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Inspect the needle for damage, use a toothpick to clean the inside of the nozzle top, and a pipe-cleaner or really tiny bottle brush dipped in acetone or 95% isopropanol to clean out the tube between the paint cup and the nozzle tip.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    After watching some YouTube videos on airbrush care, I just left the tip in airbrush cleaner for a few days the last time it acted up. While maybe longtime not the best for the sealing, it really helped.

In the rumors last week one of the items was a citadel spray stick
    6h0m4eq7ijk8.png

I just use a 90 degree cardboard piece I got from work and a old stick I found in the yard {also double sided tape} The rubberbands are interesting but rubber rots quickly in this dry tomb of a house and area.
    Still I am looking at a way to do flyers and jetbikes I think I am going to use coffee stirrers but what base is the problem as I want another angle chunk like I got at work

Also they offer a red handle now
    er0fkweuyheh.png
    and a 5 pack
    I got my handle for free last year when I bought some stuff on ebay from someone I was surprised and will say it's been loads of help as it does help you hold it and keep steady

Does anyone have any of the hobby/paint rack style cases from GW? I need something that can store a handful of paints, a few brushes, and a couple mini's without everything sliding around and crushing the mini. I'd like to be able to paint on my lunch breaks at work.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I have a reaper paint case that bottle paints and brushes fit in, and the holes stretch to hold GW style pots, the wash sized ones are a bit of a stretch so I dont try to use too many of those in it. It doesnt hold minis though.

Honestly for what you are asking for, from el cheapo's perspective, I'd say buy a pistol case and cut the foam to a custom size that you need. that way it fully meets your needs for holding all of that in one little case. I dont think I've really seen one that is purposefully built to hold the hobby parts and minis at the same time.

steam_sig.png
    There was a guy who had a plano archery box [at the time I did not know they made boxes and stuff for archery} that was his one stop place for his army and paint.
    It had a pull out shelf on top and a cavern on the bottom. He had cut up sheets of foam to hold his army with a dread, a couple of rhinos and parts to make them preds. He had a few paints like 12 or so since his was ultramarines
    He just kept his brushes in a bundle and had a old sour cream container for water

I have not seen it since but I do remember at the time I saw it at Big 5 sporting but that's of little use

I have a reaper paint case that bottle paints and brushes fit in, and the holes stretch to hold GW style pots, the wash sized ones are a bit of a stretch so I dont try to use too many of those in it. It doesnt hold minis though.

Honestly for what you are asking for, from el cheapo's perspective, I'd say buy a pistol case and cut the foam to a custom size that you need. that way it fully meets your needs for holding all of that in one little case. I dont think I've really seen one that is purposefully built to hold the hobby parts and minis at the same time.

I don't know why I didn't think of that... I have a gun Case somewhere in my crawlspace.

Thx!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Ok the two homemade spray sticks I have
    The 90 degree piece of cardboard
    zh1yylxgdfxt.png
    The stick I found in my yard
    v7ij4lecr79c.png

And finally I did his cape in purple
    kc6okbrzicva.png
    Still I am going to redo the flesh as it did not turn out the way I wanted?

Having trouble with motivation to paint but I've managed to lazily work on the plasma glow for my castellan's gun. Almost done with it.

fcrm944zi20q.jpg

Having trouble with motivation to paint but I've managed to lazily work on the plasma glow for my castellan's gun. Almost done with it.

Really pick different things to paint. I am stuck lacking certain paints {metals and flesh} So not to get stuck with them I have been working on other projects I have the paint for
    I have been trying out my old paints to see what works and doesn't.

You probably have at least space marines you can paint in a different chapter or a number of other things to try out different paints on

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I've finally paid to get my IG army back from the guy who bought it from me, he's shipped it, it should be here Friday.

Finally, Imperial Fists stuff is released. I should be happy.

And I've lost all motivation to paint or do this anymore.

Maybe I'll feel different when my flgs gets their shipping straightened out and they get their shipment in Monday.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I've finally paid to get my IG army back from the guy who bought it from me, he's shipped it, it should be here Friday.

Finally, Imperial Fists stuff is released. I should be happy.

And I've lost all motivation to paint or do this anymore.

Maybe I'll feel different when my flgs gets their shipping straightened out and they get their shipment in Monday.

Paint bits and chunks like do all base coats. then do helms of the ranked/vets or the company trim and so on
    Really it's what kept me painting
    I did the weapons for the Redemptor Dreadnought while I watched the last week tonight on youtube
    evlv018l9yju.png
    That was over the last hour

My black templars do their weapons red {one because I liked how it looked two it broke up the black look of them]

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I might give that a shot

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg