As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E Discussion] This is the way 5E ends. Not with a bang but a gnome mindflayer.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    These are the sort of questions I don't dare bring up around my DM any more, because every time I make a bird/chicken joke while playing my Aarakocra he points and goes "that's canon now!".

Hopefully you're at least getting Inspiration for that.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Can you make a wolf turn into a sapient human by giving them lycanthropy like Bigby Wolf in Fables and is the true curse the doubt of man he feels now?

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you get it if Bigby's Hand scratches you.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Can you make a wolf turn into a sapient human by giving them lycanthropy like Bigby Wolf in Fables and is the true curse the doubt of man he feels now?

Wofwares are a thing in D&D.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Like...plates and bowls for the lupine home?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Can anyone point me to what the thread title is now referencing sorry. Can't find it in thread.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Warewolves are people that transform into wolves in a full moon.
    Wolfwares are wolves that transform into people in a new moon.
    They hate each other.

Baldurs Gate 1 expansion had a plotline about this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Can anyone point me to what the thread title is now referencing sorry. Can't find it in thread.

Lyrics from Beast of Burden, in reference to the discussion about how some animals aren't beasts and can't be wildshape forms or beast companions.

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Ok, I've been DMing this homebrew for about a year and a half now with a crew of, what was it, 7 people in it and I could sense that we were hitting a wall.
    To be honest, I gave them too many suped up magic items and they were steam rolling everything which was boring us all to tears.

So I gave some alternatives:
    1) reroll new toons and play our way through the published content...I DM.
    2) reroll new toons and play our way through the published content...someone else DMs.
    3) reroll new toons and play whatever and someone else DMs.

One of our more rules oriented players says he will do it after a wee bit of needling on my part because for fuck sake I just want to role play one of my characters I have been sitting on and I was getting burnt out on prepping for sessions.

So we got together for a session where we all decided on how to roll and pick classes and just figure shit out. We rolled new characters, talked about our new characters and drank and ate and then decided on a date for the next sessions.

That date got pushed back because a couple people weren't going to be able to show and the new DM wasn't prepared.

The next date the new DM said he still wasn't ready to begin the new adventure but we should all get together for a BBQ. He states it's not the DM transition that was talked about but he could make it work. I stated that my firbolg needed to meet his companions.

The new DM states quite emphatically that our next session will be him DMing but he is not prepared. The BBQ is still a go if people are still interested.
    He then sends out a questionnaire:

1. Y/N to him being the DM
    2. Session date choice.
    3. Email him our characters backstories/origins.
    4. Y/N to the BBQ.

My answer to #4 was: TBD

When I didn't show up (D&D is how I get out of doing bathroom remodeling and school shopping) I got a passive/aggressive joke from the new DM.
    The day after the canceled D&D session/BBQ everyone in the text thread (not only our current D&D group but people who used to be in the campaign) got the following:
    Bad news. We all get judged based on our actions and the BBQ yesterday had more riding on it than just food.
    Everyone had a hole in their schedule Saturday and folks made other choices once D&D wasn't involved. Blowing people off has consequences.

Finding people to play D&D isn't a problem. Finding people you want to play with is another. It's clear only a few people want to interact socially. Personally I like playing games with people I want to be around.

I'm not going to be your DM. I'm not going to be a player either. I'll still play D&D and be a DM in other settings. Daryl, Daryl and the other brother Daryl, you guys can text me individually if you are interested in playing in other settings too.

If people want to play D&D devoid of social connections then I suggest they play at an Adventure League in a game store.

I hope everyone finds the fun they want, but for me this isn't it. I'm out.

@Shawnasee - me and you had set a timeline for transitioning being the DM. Period. Trying to get my wife to manipulate me, trying to use social pressure through texts to make things happen faster and not talking to me directly about any changes to the transitioning schedule is just...low. Come on man!

I was so blown away that I sat on a reply for almost a week. No one else replied to that text thread either but everyone I talked to in the group thought it was bizarre and very dramatic.
    This couple had quit before (which I have talked about before) because the other players in the group weren't as committed as these two thought they should be. I roped them back into playing by discussing with them that people have vastly different reasons for playing and that they needed to accept that.

Anyway, I apologized to him for pushing him into being the DM. He was right in that there should have been more dialogue about it, if for no other reason than more clarity. I told him and his wife that I was sorry for not being at the BBQ because it obviously meant more to them than it did to me (and another couple who decided to go watch a movie instead of drive an hour for hot dogs and beer, which I completely understand). I made sure to let them know that I genuinely like them both. "love you guys and I'm sad you don't want to hang anymore."

And then I told him that although he made valid points, he was being childish and made things not only awkward but divisive.

I reached out to this dudes BIL who is awesome and told him I knew he was between a rock and a hard place but I understand if he kept the D&D portion of his life within the family.
    One of my co-workers plays MAGIC with him and the BIL and he contacted me to say he was in an awkward difficult spot too. My co-worker reached out to him and told him he would be playing D&D with me and MAGIC with him if that was cool.

The rational part of me (my wife) says he was out of line and good riddance and I tend to agree but what do you all think?
    I don't think handing over DM reigns is that big a deal, especially considering it was going to be a brand new campaign. There were no notes or files and such to be handed over...just, ok, it's your turn.
    I mean I feel bad for not going to the BBQ but no one was told that more was riding on it than just food.

And that was way longer than I intended...I guess a tldr is warranted:

D&D group decides on new DM. New DM has a BBQ instead of a session. Not everyone goes to the BBQ. DM flips a table and says only the people who bothered to show up to the BBQ are the people he wants to play with. Calls me out for not being more clear about transition of DM duties. I think he's ridiculous but I still feel bad. Should I feel bad?

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    No, the "this BBQ was secretly a test of our friendship" is some high school level dramatic nonsense. Its a Riverdale C-plot.

Your wife is making some very, very solid points. Listen to your wife.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    That person just didn't want to do the prep work and it couldn't possibly be his own fault, so he dumped it on the rest of you.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Narbus wrote: »
    No, the "this BBQ was secretly a test of our friendship" is some high school level dramatic nonsense. Its a Riverdale C-plot.

Your wife is making some very, very solid points. Listen to your wife.

Yeah. I can see this guy's point about wanting to play with friends as opposed to just having a gaming group... but this BBQ-as-test nonsense is some next level bullshit.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    FWIW "You failed a test that you weren't even aware was a test and so you lose the whole game" isn't the best approach for running a D&D game, either.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This is why friendships are a mistake

There's got to be a better way

And now there is!

With these identity-hiding Gaming Hoods, all your players are no more than their characters

Back my Kickstarter at the £50 level and you'll get the Deluxe model, with a dry-erase finish to allow character names and/or faces to be drawn on the front, and the voice-masking Anonomike

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    pretty much agree with the sentiments expressed

ALTHOUGH you should consider maybe this person feels pressured because you mentioned you needled him into taking the DM role

if it’s something at his heart he does not want to do he maybe built a little resentment towards you (maybe rightly?) and the BBQ thing made him feel shittier about that and perceive it as blowing him off

either way you probably need to have a Real Talk with them 1:1 and discuss all this before you guys fuck your group up and crack it in half

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Groups down three players because of this.

I did indeed consider his point of view and what might lead up to a proclamation of that nature which is why I sent a beautifully worded text to him and his wife. That was about 2 months ago, no reply.

He did want to be DM, though. He had made mention of it several times during previous sessions and to be quite honest, he would have been really good at it.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    @Denada : [DnD 5e] I think we should see other meeples.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So i watched hotel Transylvania 3 today, and while the movie itself was middling, it had some AMAZING set pieces, so I'm going to be stealing from that.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So i watched hotel Transylvania 3 today, and while the movie itself was middling, it had some AMAZING set pieces, so I'm going to be stealing from that.

Haha now this is the true spirit of roleplay games!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Hell, that's how both D&D and the Ultima series started! Never forget that the original Ultima game is a fantasy game with castles, time machines, the space shuttle and a Tie fighter battle.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I refuse to accept a fantasy setting that does not allow for a space opera.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »

Haha now this is the true spirit of roleplay games!

I watched JoJo Part 3 and every stand battle was like, "That's an encounter I can steal."

Especially the D'arby card game. That's one where they can't just fight their way out of unless they just do not care for their friends.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    In my D&D game the players figured out that they had accidentally kidnapped a half dozen children from weretigers and had... varying reactions. The tiefling took one of them and sold her to an arcanaloth in exchange for a hellfire coin, through some successful checks the rest of them think they only had 6 of them, but it was originally 7

She's saving up for an infernal war machine

the rest of them have absolutely wrecked the party's tavern, shifting between child and tiger, and being almost feral in terms of behavior, the rogue bemoaning "why am I alwaaaaaaaaaays the mooooooooooomm" (entirely in character, the player is enjoying it), as she is in charge of the tavern

once the antics become distracting im going to have the temple of the morning lord offer to take them in

Got a new player, and it's so refreshing to have someone who's humble and doesn't demand things, unlike the last new one who made it all of half a session before asking for massive, world changing shit. The new player is respectful and trying to take in the world and what's going on, asking lots of questions

edit: The rogue said she was going to get them cleaned up, clothed, and put in bed, and didn't even make it through the first one before being bitten and infected with lycanthrope. I gave them +0 to hit for their bite attacks and the DC is really low but the rogue's dice are cursed

override367 on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Lycanthropy is still basically cursed with awesome, right? I remember in 3.x contemplating an all were-party, and tigers and cheetahs were both super awesome options for a rogue

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Lycanthropy is still basically cursed with awesome, right? I remember in 3.x contemplating an all were-party, and tigers and cheetahs were both super awesome options for a rogue

The only viable player controlled one is werebear other than that if you're cursed with lycanthropy you basically hand your sheet over and become the villain when the full moon comes along.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    D09Qat9WsAA0xra.jpg

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Darling, it is no joke
    this is lycanthropy

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

The only viable player controlled one is werebear other than that if you're cursed with lycanthropy you basically hand your sheet over and become the villain when the full moon comes along.

Yeah these were natural-born. I forgot about the alignment thing. Which is dumb. But makes sense because otherwise its awesome

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have been thinking about it. You could do the trick in Ladyhawke {where he turns into a wolf at night and she into a falcon during the day] into something similar to see if the adventures can become uncursed
    They just cannot talk to each other so that would be the fun part

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    My DM agreed to let me play a human Nature Cleric who had been infected with were-rat lycanthropy. We agreed that she wouldn't have any of the benefits (no increased Dex, no immunity to non-silvered weapons). Her quest was to find a cure for it.

I played up trying to hide on the Full Moon nights in the beginning, but in the end the rest of party would take me outside of town and chain me to a tree before my Ratosis attack was going to happen.

Since we didn't want a super easy "Oh I'm level 5, Remove Curse!" solution, I had to collect different items throughout those first five levels. Moonstone, wolfsbane, etc. Then when I hit level 5, we had this elaborate ritual designed with Con saves and Death Saves to cure her.

Sadly she died during the ritual, but she cleansed herself of the lycanthropy and died as a human.

Loved the character, loved her ending, it was super fun.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Holy crap how did I not know this existed.

https://giffyglyph.com/monstermaker/

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular

OMG did they bring the 4E system back to 5E? It's a Daylight Saving Time miracle!

5E monster design sucks so bad; I can't wait to try this.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I've been reading the Monster Manual recently, and it's made me appreciate 4th edition all the more, with its example encounters and lack of the need to check the PHB for spell descriptions

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Holy shit, this is so much my jam it hurts. Thank you for bringing it up!

*dives headfirst, Scrooge McDuck style*

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Anyone's thoughts on the new Unearthed Arcana? The extra flexibility sounds great, plus love for unarmed fighting and thrown weapons!

I don't actually know how balanced they all are though

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Anyone's thoughts on the new Unearthed Arcana? The extra flexibility sounds great, plus love for unarmed fighting and thrown weapons!

I don't actually know how balanced they all are though

Well setting everything else aside... it makes me want to play a Ranger.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    The D&D design people have been pumping out some interesting Unearthed Arcana frequently lately. Today's is one of the most interesting from a design point of view
    https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/class-feature-variants

They've added variant or enhanced features to every class.
    -Lots more fighting styles for classes that get them, including a more protective one, a thrown weapon one, and an unarmed fighting one.
    -Couple of interesting new maneuvers, as well as a fighter fighting style that gets you one maneuver even if you're not a battlemaster
    -Every caster class can change their cantrips on a long rest
    -All the non-prepared casters can change one spell on a long rest
    -An eldritch invocation that lets Blade warlocks put on any one suit of armor, so Hexblade isn't as mandatory for melee blade pact Warlocks.
    -Some cool stuff for Pact of the Tome Warlocks.
    -A few good Sorcerer metamagics (change damage type!)
    -More flexibility on what can be a Monk weapon
    -A lot of stuff to the Ranger:
    -A domain-style spell list (replaces Primeval Awareness)
    -Bonus casts of Hunter's Mark without using spells or concentration (replaces Favored Enemy)
    -A set of 3 abilities that replaces Natural Explorer. Choose one at 1st, 6th, and 10th level. (one give two skill proficiencies, one gives 5 feet of speed and climb/swim speed, one gives you a source of temporary HP)
    -Rogues can use their cunning action to give themselves advantage on their next attack, if they don't move (seems very good for ranged rogues)

Just a lot of stuff to bring up some weak classes, provide options that people have been asking for forever (unarmed Fighter, non-Hexblade blade Warlock), and make everyone more flexible.

reposting from the SE thread

haven't looked through it too much but the Blind Fighting fighting style just looks like it was made to be cheesy and is kinda unfun because the only way that one works is if you cast some kind of obscuring spell (darkness, fog cloud maybe?) and then go fight in it

or technically I guess you could shoot into it? it doesn't say anything about needing to be adjacent so yeah

how 'not being able to see' and 'not hidden from you' works together is...strange and largely up to the DM I suppose

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    I am making a replacement for my cleric in the winter game I play if she dies. I wanted to make a barbarian with a pseudo-Kratosesque backstory of being responsible for the deaths of her family because she asked for power from a greater power. Now she's more like nuKratos in being more contemplative about her current situation and the avarice that led to the prior one. She seeks to destroy that power and possibly rescue the souls of her husband and children if the thing took them but if they went to where they were supposed to then leave them alone. She's a 7-foot tall white tiger tabaxi named Symmet after the Tyger, Tyger poem from William Blake and the phrase "Thy Fearful (Symmet)ry".

The idea was the greater power gave her power to destroy hordes of tribesmen from her home but once it exacted its price it left her except for possibly a lingering strength. I am thinking of going Berserker since I generally like the subclasses that do the class's thing but more. Is there another one I should consider? I haven't thought a ton about her cultural background but I wanted to go with more of a generic celtic/germanic thing like Cimmerians in Conan.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    ok i gotta say i like the idea of playing a paladin with the unarmed fighting style and smiting people with my fists

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    ok i gotta say i like the idea of playing a paladin with the unarmed fighting style and smiting people with my fists

As awesome and powerful as doomybear was, no one ever took him seriously.
    For he was also the party's healer and his grasp of the Amnian tongue was, to be polite, middling at best.
    "He wasn't feeling good so I fisted him", he'd often remark after reinvigorating a comrade in arms..

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
This discussion has been closed.