As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bojack Horseman: Free Churros

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Final season.

For the best, I think. I'd rather a definitive end than stringing along this miserable old horse for however long.

My general rule of thumb is that most good ideas have around 5 seasons of material before they run out of good ideas and start to get shitty. Good writers can stretch that out a bit, but not too much more. I'd rather they end it well than beat a dead horse, as it were.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    As much as it fits the narrative of the show just fine there's something kinda suspect about Bojack ending and Tuca and Bertie getting cancelled right after the studio unionized.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Tuca and Bertie just wasn't very good. It was ok, but it's message/scenes weren't as memorable as the general animal-themed send up of Hollywoo.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    As much as it fits the narrative of the show just fine there's something kinda suspect about Bojack ending and Tuca and Bertie getting cancelled right after the studio unionized.

He'd said previously something along the lines of 7-10 years, so maybe it got truncated? 2 part, maybe 2 seasons worth and they couldn't fill it out or the studio axed it?

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, like I’m not saying that’s definitely what happened.

Just pointing out the grey area there and how I wouldn’t be surprised if Netflix pushed for it to end.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

Just pointing out the grey area there and how I wouldn’t be surprised if Netflix pushed for it to end.

From Todd Chavez's voice actor:

1ojaf86bydbb.png

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

From Todd Chavez's voice actor:

1ojaf86bydbb.png

Gdi netflix

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I would rather it go out too soon than too late.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    And I'd rather not see them trying to top themselves every season in a show about one person struggling with depression and, frankly, being horrible and harmful to other people. He's already physically assaulted someone in a drug haze and admitted that he might have gone ahead with sleeping with a teenager. Like... if the show keeps going on with business as usual, he's just going to keep hurting others and falling deeper into misery as a result.

Go up and/or get out.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

I agree, I just hope that the writers got the time, both in terms of number of episodes they need to tie up the story the way they want, and that it wasn't sprung on them when the season was just about written.

I'm fine with it ending, so long as it's allowed to end well.

Same, but "there was nothing we could do" makes it sound like too early indeed.

God I hope they dont end up Game of Thronesing the ending.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I especially enjoy this, because Bojack has the same Netflix user icon that I do. :)

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Todd doesn’t have a Netflix profile?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Todd doesn't have time to watch Netflix, what with all the hijinks.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Todd doesn't have time to watch Netflix, what with all the hijinks.

Todd uses Bojacks profile and watches the same shows but a few episodes ahead and Bojack is eternally lost when he continues watching

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm working my way through the series again, up to season 4 now.

God, the gut punches you pick up on during repeat viewings.
    Matthew Broderick comments on his wife's smart mouth when she makes fun of the "Time's arrow" line.

"I have half a mind to kiss you with that smart mouth."
    "Well that half you can keep."

Oh God, I just noticed Todd's "LATIN KINGS" and "SKINNY HEADS" tattoos.

Peccavi on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Tuca and Bertie just wasn't very good. It was ok, but it's message/scenes weren't as memorable as the general animal-themed send up of Hollywoo.

I thought it was phenomenal and quite possibly better than BoJack

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Tuca and Bertie being robbed from me too soon is my secret villian origin tbh

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Tuca and Bertie's problem was that the random bizarreness made it difficult to take the serious parts seriously. Bojack-style sight gags are one thing, but when you have actual plot points being based on things that were never properly set up or even vaguely referenced before and are inherently nonsensical, it makes the entire universe just become arbitrary and difficult to care about, since there's less there to actually get attached to.

edited October 2019
    I think Tuca and Bertie could have been good given enough development. Bojack started out okay but the first season is undeniably the weakest.

But yeah the randomness kind of made it difficult to really latch on to. It felt more [adult swim]my than is my liking these days.

jungleroomx on
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    As a dude I found it much harder to identify with Bertie's patriarchy and sexual abuse issues than Bojack's self loathing and search for redemption. I think those are good topics to touch on but half the population is inherently going to be less interested in them.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Holy. Fuck.

First episode. Right out of the gate. And it's a episode 6 story. Boom! In your face, no holds barred, they ain't pulling any punches.

I think they mean to destroy us emotionally by the end of it.

Jesus.
    BoJack never had a chance. They implied it throughout the rest of the show but this was something else.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
    As a Chicagoan I feel the need to reiterate: suck it, Dubai.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    As a Chicagoan I feel the need to reiterate: suck it, Dubai.

I died a little inside at Diane's reaction to her sandwich. I don't understand why it's so hard for out of towners to just admit that Chicago Italian beef sandwiches are the best sandwiches they've ever tasted.

Jfc

Todd spoilers?
    Was the whole him having a Hispanic last name but constantly failing upwards because hes white thing just a 6 year long joke and we finally got the punchline?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Episode 7:
    That was lovely

Now I'm anxious about what episode 8 is going to do

Episode 8:
    Well, fuck

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I do love the warthog woman running around in her wedding dress, and the joke with the old timey telephone was very good.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I feel like this might be my favourite season for wittiness - the dialogue really seemed to sparkle this time around

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    I do love the warthog woman running around in her wedding dress, and the joke with the old timey telephone was very good.

It kind of makes me want to rewatch His Girl Friday

The animation styles were off the charts this time.

Carolyn's episode was exquisite

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The animation styles were off the charts this time.

Carolyn's episode was exquisite

She is a goddamn hero.

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    I didn't like Carolyn's episode as much. It was all the darkness, with much less of the fun.

I mean it has a great bit of sweetness at the end that made it all worth it imho

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I really love the attention to detail with Carolyn's baby. They get a lot of comedic mileage out of those quills.

Also, her eventual name is a great callback.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    The microwave though.... jaskldfaskl;jdfdsklfjafd;l

Also

Judah!

edited October 2019
    I was watching episode 6, and my fucking internet went out right as Todd was having a powerful character moment!

Noooooooooo!

Edit: okay, I finished it on my phone. Crisis averted.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    The surprise "party" was so, so good

I wrapped up the half season on my goddamn phone because I couldn't wait for the internet to return, grumble grumble.

Yup, ended about as devastatingly as one would expect from Bojack.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Season 6 Spoilers
    I'm really crossing my fingers that this show finishes its hopeful swerve. Bojack is.. getting better. He's doing it! It felt so good to see. "Is this what therapy is?!" All of episode 7 felt very powerful, to the point where you almost want to stop there to get your nice happy ending.

Even little things like the airport bunny barista - old Bojack would have tried to sleep with her, new Bojack ends up pushing her towards Todd. The smash cut fake out with the old hair stylist from the AA meeting. He cleaned Diane's depression apartment! He's making good decisions and it's having a positive effect on his life and the lives of people around him.

And now the Bojack Horseman the Television Series signature "dark turn" looks like it won't, or at least doesn't have to be I hope, the character Bojack horribly fucking up again - the setup now with Hollyhock and the reporter storyline gives us this better person now faced with accepting responsibility for their past mistakes and facing consequences. I don't expect that to be a smooth process, but what an opportunity for the show to set itself apart from the Glorified Broken Man genre that I've always thought it was inaccurately grouped with and that the show itself has frequently explicitly railed against. This is going to be hard for Bojack, bad things are going to happen, but imagine him making it out the other side and actually setting a good example for how to reckon with being a piece of shit instead of the lashing out, doubling down, the denial, the retreating to a toxic right wing comedy tour that we see so often in real life when people are called to account for themselves.

I think this show could really pull off something special if it decides to go out in a hopeful note and I'll be a little disappointed if it opts instead for a super dark gut punch. I don't think it will.

also this half-season was extremely funny

Kid Presentable on