As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[US Foreign Policy] Iran Response: Missile strikes US Al-Assad, Kirbil base in Iraq pg 90

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    God I forgot about that weird tic of always saying someone did something "like a dog". Dude fucking hates dogs.

Wha?

"X died like a dog" or really, did a lot of things that would be considered painful or humiliating "like a dog" is a very common expression. Nothing to do with Trump in particular or with hating dogs.

There's nothing specifically weird about any of the phrases Trump is using, it's the context he's using them in. He sounds like he's describing some awesome scene from a movie or a videogame or something where the bad guy gets killed.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I mean, the news outlets over this side of the Atlantic are reporting that Baghdadi detonated a suicide vest as soon as the soldiers reached him, so... what the fuck was Trump watching? Did they shove on a Rambo movie and tell him that was the raid or something?

The Rambo sketch in UHF.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    Meh.

I'm not gonna let the Idiot in Chief and his tweets take away from the fact that ultimately this is a good thing.

Motherfucker caused more human suffering than Bin Laden and I'm glad he's dead. And that he would take three of his own kids with him (assuming that report is accurate) is all anyone needs to know.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Has there been any reporting on the intelligence sources that led to him Baghdadi?

Because it’ll be the height of tragic irony if there were any Kurdish sources involved.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Screenshotted this off Wikipedia.

2lgpnvxwijd7.jpg

"Live feed". Uh-huh. Yeah. Right.

Jazz on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I know someone asked for the side by side. I think it is striking after making it. Sorry for the potato I made it small so they are close to each other.

ljIjvL2l.png

u7stthr17eud.png
    “My penis is bigger than yours!”

That’s all that picture is.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The galaxy brain insight would be that a photo op isn’t required by law after you kill someone important.

PSN: Honkalot
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don’t mind the staging as much as the minute to minute mimicry that leads to that decision made by people who have no ability to think an original thought.

PSN: Honkalot
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Honk wrote: »
    The galaxy brain insight would be that a photo op isn’t required by law after you kill someone important.

The difference is the one on the right is a photo op to look important. The one on the left was captured by the WH photographer at the moment and is a record of a moment in history.

Either way I don't disagree though photo evidence of major events isn't bad when its real.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Honk wrote: »
    I don’t mind the staging as much as the minute to minute mimicry that leads to that decision made by people who have no ability to think an original thought.

See also: his inauguration cake.

("I hate him... but I want to be him!")

Commander Zoom on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just as an aside...

I know it's petty, but man is that cable management job bugging me. I know they'd never use wireless in a situation like that, but don't go throwing around wires to make the picture look busier!

... I'm also curious what's on those post-it notes.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »
    Just as an aside...

I know it's petty, but man is that cable management job bugging me. I know they'd never use wireless in a situation like that, but don't go throwing around wires to make the picture look busier!

... I'm also curious what's on those post-it notes.

Lay fake red wires here ————>

<————- Lay fake yellow wires there

steam_sig.png

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Um, I suspect the wires are probably real. Doesn't everyone's office have a lot of random wires lying around?

The Wikipedia photo caption has been updated.
    President Trump with key civilian and military leaders in the White House Situation Room, allegedly watching a live feed of the raid

*snort*

steam_sig.png

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The red wire in the middle of the picture isn't connected to anything on either end. Same goes for the yellow cable on the laptop on the right side with the sticky notes on it.

steam_sig.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Um, I suspect the wires are probably real. Doesn't everyone's office have a lot of random wires lying around?

No, our conference rooms all have basic cable management built into the tables. Also, at least 3 of those cables are literally not connected to anything on both ends, rather than just sticking out for whoever sits down with a laptop in that spot.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    That photo is so hilariously fake.

I feel for that guy on the right who is so obviously uncomfortable with staging a photo for something like this.

edited October 2019
    Why would they stage a complicated fake room when they have access to the real room and could just use it?

Article from the New York Times (paywalled)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/us/politics/baghdadi-isis-leader-trump.html
    C.I.A. Got Tip on al-Baghdadi’s Location From Arrest of a Wife and a Courier
    President Trump’s abrupt decision to pull forces from northern Syria disrupted planning for the raid and forced the Pentagon to press ahead with a risky night operation, military officials said.

Trump didn't have much to do with this except making it harder.

CelestialBadger on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    There's no way that the Whitehouse photographer, particularly in Trump's Whitehouse isn't a true believer. We'd have seen leaked candid shots that captured the mood of inside the administration by now, rather than just the propaganda ones. Even if the press office (they still have one don't they?) was only clearing some and keeping the rest under wraps, we'd have seen a few if they were being taken.

Tastyfish on
    edited October 2019
    Baghdadi was in Syria when it went down, so there’s a pretty definite chance Kurdish resources were involved.

Meaning when Trump decides to take his victory lap, he can thank all those Kurds he stabbed in the back.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    There's no way that the Whitehouse photographer, particularly in Trump's Whitehouse isn't a true believer. We'd have seen leaked candid shots that captured the mood of inside the administration by now, rather than just the propaganda ones. Even if the press office (they still have one don't they?) was only clearing some and keeping the rest under wraps, we'd have seen a few if they were being taken.

It is probably some Trump lackey. The pros have defined, documentary styles that show an artful consideration that they will be in museums and history books. The stuff I see out of Trump’s White House would embarrass someone doing portraits in a department store.

Why would they stage a complicated fake room when they have access to the real room and could just use it?

Article from the New York Times (paywalled)

C.I.A. Got Tip on al-Baghdadi’s Location From Arrest of a Wife and a Courier
    President Trump’s abrupt decision to pull forces from northern Syria disrupted planning for the raid and forced the Pentagon to press ahead with a risky night operation, military officials said.

Trump didn't have much to do with this except making it harder.

They’re gonna spin this as a win.

Talking points will be that Trump abandoning the Kurds and the following chaos is what directly led to Baghdadi’s death.

So those motherfuckers are going to parade this around as proof.

steam_sig.png

Well, it is a win. But it’s a win in spite of Trump, not with him.

But it’s a good thing in general (aside from the children who died) as it makes it more difficult for ISIS to reform in the chaos of Trump’s withdrawal.

Well, it is a win. But it’s a win in spite of Trump, not with him.

But it’s a good thing in general (aside from the children who died) as it makes it more difficult for ISIS to reform in the chaos of Trump’s withdrawal.

I mean they are going to spin abandoning the Kurds as part of the win.

steam_sig.png

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Wonder how long it'll be until Trump starts whining about this hit not getting the favorable coverage that the Osama Bin Laden one got. I strongly suspect that Trump, doesn't understand the difference between the significance of Osama Bin Laden getting nabbed and the guy that just got taken down. Like I probably follow the news better than most Americans and I've never given a damn about the names of ISIS's leadership. There just asshole leaders of some shitty death cult, who are adding to the misery in the Middle East. Osama Bin Laden was the asshole that gave the 9/11 guys his blessing to pull off their fuckery.

I do wonder if this is going to majorly backfire on Trump. It's pretty obvious he is trying to equate it with the Osama Bin Laden raid and I suspect that probably won't be taken well; especially, with the clearly faked photo. Hell, I suspect most other presidents in the past wouldn't be trying to ham this up because they'd be smart enough to realize that most American just aren't going to care outside of "well good the military got some rat fucker off the world stage."

The context between Osama and Baghdadi is different as well.

Osama was the representation of a terrorist organization that shaped the course of US and arguably world politics for decades. He was just a part of a larger group and AQ had many leaders, but people like to have a singular person when it comes to these things and Osama was that person. Before he died, he had very little impact on day to day terrorist activities and was basically just in hiding. His death was as much symbolic, if not more so, than a practical need to combat terrorism aside from the statement such a raid makes and any intel gathered.

Baghdadi differs in that he’s less of a symbol than Osama, but was very active and much more dangerous. Killing Baghdadi stops actual IS activities and the group may actually split with their leadership dead (as an aside, Kurdish forces killed Baghdadi’s right hand man at the same time).

What I find ironic is that Trump getting Baghdadi could arguably be considered a larger blow against terrorism than Obama getting Osama, but Trump will never be satisfied with it because he just cares about the sensationalism without understanding that the reason Obama was praised was because he didn’t try to sensationalize it.

steam_sig.png

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Screenshotted this off Wikipedia.

2lgpnvxwijd7.jpg

"Live feed". Uh-huh. Yeah. Right.

Is it petty of me how annoyed I am they didn't even bother to plug in any of those Ethernet cables to look the least bit convincing?

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I know it's been mentioned, but you can clearly tell that red one was just thrown there. I'm curious how many people have comb through that photo to figure out how many random wires are on that desk, that aren't connected to anything. Though this is true to form for Trump, lazy, fake and half-assed.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trump’s Syria Troop Withdrawal Complicated Plans for al-Baghdadi Raid

President Trump’s abrupt decision to pull forces from northern Syria forced the Pentagon to press ahead with a risky night operation that killed the ISIS leader, military officials said.
    For months, intelligence officials had kept Mr. Trump apprised of what he had set as a top priority, the hunt for Mr. al-Baghdadi, the world’s most wanted terrorist.

But Mr. Trump’s abrupt withdrawal order three weeks ago disrupted the meticulous planning underway and forced Pentagon officials to speed up the plan
    for the risky night raid before their ability to control troops, spies and reconnaissance aircraft disappeared with the pullout, the officials said.

Mr. al-Baghdadi’s death in the raid on Saturday, they said, occurred largely in spite of, and not because of, Mr. Trump’s actions.
    Armed with that initial tip, the C.I.A. worked closely with Iraqi and Kurdish intelligence officials in Iraq and Syria to identify more precisely Mr. al-Baghdadi’s whereabouts and to put spies in place to monitor his periodic movements. American officials said the Kurds continued to provide information to the C.I.A. on Mr. al-Baghdadi’s location even after Mr. Trump’s decision to withdraw the American troops left the Syrian Kurds to confront a Turkish offensive alone.

The Syrian and Iraqi Kurds, one official said, provided more intelligence for the raid than any single country.
    All of that is both unsurprising and depressing.

Of course Trump would thank the Russians while mostly ignoring the Kurds.

Russia doesn’t know what he’s talking about: https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1X602N
    He [Trump] also thanked Russia, Turkey, Syria and Iraq for their support.

Turkey said it was proud to have helped "bring a notorious terrorist to justice", but Russia's response was skeptical, with the defense ministry in Moscow saying that it had no reliable information on the U.S. raid and observing there had been previous attempts to kill Baghdadi.

Russia "treated us great" by opening up airspace it controlled for the raid and Kurdish allies gave some helpful information, according to Trump. The Russian defense ministry, however, said it was not aware of any assistance to U.S. forces.

He just can’t fucking help himself. It’s almost a compulsion for him to verbally fellate Putin every chance he gets, isn’t it?

steam_sig.png

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Was there any fear of Russia preventing them from using the airspace?

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Archangle wrote: »
    Tarantio wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    Trump didn't tweet about the raid until a hour or so after news outlets were reporting on it.

I'm pretty sure he was watching his programs when it was going down.

Probably saw the footage afterwards.

I'm 99.99% certain he was out golfing, because he said he sent out his "something big" tweet so the media wouldn't be out golfing while this was going down and Donald Trump is basically all projection.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1188485383144783877

Caroline Orr is a journalist for the National Observer, a Canadian news organization.

Technically, it seems he was traveling back from golf while the raid happened. And then staged the photo.
    And this is your friendly reminder to please copy/paste tweet bodies to ensure people know what you are talking about, since it looks like the original tweet has been deleted.

Sorry. Here's the tweet explaining the deletion.

href="

"Deleted tweet about the timing of the raid because I’ve now seen three different times reported for the start of the raid, and two of them are after the time when Trump’s motorcade returned to the White House (4:18 pm)."

Original reporting was that the raid began at 3:30 pm EST, just before Trump left the golf club.

Tarantio on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Honestly the random wires strewn everywhere are the most believable part of that photo to me.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Honestly the random wires strewn everywhere are the most believable part of that photo to me.

Not me. If that was my TOC I’d be having my network Privates fix that shit, it’s a mess and they should have laid the lines right the first time.

I’d like to imagine White House standards for the President and Generals are higher than mine, but I’ve been wrong before.

steam_sig.png

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I assume the unplugged ethernet cables are there because nobody was using them at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me that the WH has a bunch of ethernet cables in its conference rooms so people don't have to use wi-fi for sensitive stuff.

Dongs Galore on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    As with most things regarding the Trump administration that appear just witheringly unbearably literally stupefyingly stupid on the surface I'm sure there is a reasonable and intelligent explanation for the ethernet cable rats nest set dressing in that staged propaganda photograph

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I mean if any national leader said "yeah there was a raid, I wasn't actually there in the situation room as it happened because I have no direct input in the operation, I leave that to the highly trained professionals who report to me and I oversee, but it happened at my approval and I was informed of the outcome immediately" then nobody would bat an eyelid. That seems eminently reasonable.

Not like Obama was in that room to shout "GO GO GO" at the E-7 kicking in the door or whatever was it, after all. He was there but presumably lots of shit happens when he wasn't there.

It's just incredibly galling that Trump's trying to set himself up as being the Commander who was running the operation even though he patently wasn't there at all

Obama was there because he cared. There was no actual input or action he could do that would affect things. However if things went wrong, it would have been his duty to be present and observe and ultimately take responsibility for the mission’s failure.

I doubt Trump knows the meaning of the word and there’s no universe in existence where he takes responsibility.

steam_sig.png

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Not me. If that was my TOC I’d be having my network Privates fix that shit, it’s a mess and they should have laid the lines right the first time.

I’d like to imagine White House standards for the President and Generals are higher than mine, but I’ve been wrong before.

There are other pictures of the situation rooms in use, and they generally have the kind of cable management you'd expect. Especially since anything going on at that level needs to not have 5 minutes of 'what plug does this go to' questions going on.

This discussion has been closed.