As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    uqyr997g9odh.jpg

Right side is traditional paint and a coat of wash. Left is that new contrast paint, just one coat over gray primer. I'm fucking impressed!

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, the updated Thornfall Theme Force.

Let's see what changed...
    Farrow warbeast models gain Salvage. (When a warjack is destroyed while in the melee range of a model with Salvage, remove d6 damage points from the model with Salvage. If the destroyed warjack was a heavy warjack or a colossal, remove +3 additional damage points from the model with Salvage.)

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So I registered for a Warmahordes side event at NOVA Open but I haven't played in a couple years. And I am really confused. Apparently it will be using the new rules that are coming out? Is there a good summary somewhere? Or do we not not really know everything until GenCon?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So I registered for a Warmahordes side event at NOVA Open but I haven't played in a couple years. And I am really confused. Apparently it will be using the new rules that are coming out? Is there a good summary somewhere? Or do we not not really know everything until GenCon?

Can you specify on new rules? New steamroller rules, or new theme rules?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »

"NOVA Open will be using the Pre-release themes and the rules for all WARMACHINE and HORDES events."

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Brody wrote: »

"NOVA Open will be using the Pre-release themes and the rules for all WARMACHINE and HORDES events."

My best guess is that it is referencing the new rules for themes, which will officially pre-release on GenCon.

It won't likely change any of the things available to you, but it does change how you can reach free units. As long as all of your units fall within theme allowable units, you can take 1 free thing from the list of available things, regardless of whether the 25 points was spent on units with a keyword in their title, or filler solos.

https://home.privateerpress.com/2019/07/02/theme-forces-revisited-a-primer/

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The new Cryx living pirates mashup looks very strong, probably the strongest theme in the faction. I won't play it, but it's potent.

I'm pleased with black industries incorporating thralls

So since all the new themes are out I have started trying to decide what to play. Any advice on these lists?

https://conflictchamber.com/?c2201b_-1O3K3N223U2d3Sf73z3z3B3B2_2M2M2K2L

Protectorate
    [Theme] Guardians of the Temple

[Thyra 1] Thyra, Flame of Sorrow [+29]
    - Blood of Martyrs [16]
    - Reckoner [16]
    - Sanctifier [14]
    - Vanquisher [17]
    Nicia, Tear of Vengeance [0(5)]
    Pyrrhus, Flameguard Hero [0(5)]
    Vassal of Menoth [0(3)]
    Vassal of Menoth [0(3)]
    Wrack [1]
    Wrack [1]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Daughters of the Flame [10]
    Daughters of the Flame [10]
    Temple Flameguard (max) [11]
    - Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard [4]

https://conflictchamber.com/?cc201b_-1-d8dBd9d9d6dbdddddddCdCdCdedzdF

Convergence
    [Theme] Destruction Initiative

[Axis 1] Axis, the Harmonic Enforcer [+30]
    - Corollary [6]
    - Inverter [15]
    - Inverter [15]
    - Mitigator [7]
    - Prime Axiom [37]
    Accretion Servitors [2]
    Accretion Servitors [2]
    Accretion Servitors [2]
    Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex [0(2)]
    Attunement Servitors [0(4)]
    Optifex Directive [0(4)]
    Transfinite Emergence Projector [19]

https://conflictchamber.com/?cc201b_-1-d8dBd5d9d9d9dddddCdCdCdededfdzdFdF

Convergence
    [Theme] Destruction Initiative

[Axis 1] Axis, the Harmonic Enforcer [+30]
    - Corollary [6]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Inverter [15]
    - Inverter [15]
    - Inverter [15]
    Accretion Servitors [2]
    Accretion Servitors [2]
    Elimination Servitors [3]
    Optifex Directive [4]

edited August 2019
    Got a chance to demo Riot Quest at the Privateer booth... and I think I really like it?

Not sure if it was related to how, in the three-player demo, we ended up putting Hungerford’s crew all in the cooler at the same time.

But yeah. Mechanically it works a little like MonPoc with the white action dice, but you’re rotating around the board after activating a model. So you have six action dice at the start of the turn, and you can choose to activate one model. Actions generally cost 1 dice to perform, and that dice is put on the character card itself. When making a attack, you automatically get some blue dice for accuracy and you have to spend at least one white dice, but can spend more if you really need something to hit. Roll hits, compare to a character’s DEF, which is usually split like DEF 3/5. If you have, say, three hits you do one point of damage, but if you have 5 you do 2.

...oh yeah, how you win. There’s a deck of Bounties that give you two objectives. Some are easy, like “kill a enemy model,” but some like Bombing Run are a bit trickier. A bomb spawns in the middle, and whoever runs over it picks it up. You have to carry it to the point (that was randomly designated when the bounty showed up) and make a test to actually rig it. If you succeed at the bounty, you take the cars and get the VP that are marked on it, and a new bounty shows up.

There’s also treasure chests that can spawn that people can fight over that can give you coins to buy a Riot Gear item to attach to a character. Characters can only have one equipped, and lose it on death. You also drop a coin on the board when you die that anyone can grab.

At the end of a full round (when everyone’s out of dice), you roll one dice for every character that you have that’s dead, and revive that many. You roll a d6 and that spawn point on the board is where they enter.

Didn’t get a chance to grab a starter since it was literally 5:55 PM and the hall was closing. Might go back and grab it tomorrow.

Oh yeah, squad size. You can have a max of four characters in the arena at one time, but you can have more on your bench to whatever limit you agree with your opponent on.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Riot Quest does look like fun, I definitely want to get Gorman 2 and the Thamarite pirate lady

edited August 2019
    I tried to pry details about Helga on Wheels out of Hungerford, but all I got was that she’s on a large base and the mini is “amazing.”

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    4ZkHGL6.png?1

PYG. TANK.

Leadfoot and Treads are apparently their names.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Tried Infernals tonight (proxied with Cryx models)

Lots of fun, actually feel extremely like Convergence — very low model count, lots of complex abilities on many support models that seem mandatory, weird janky fueling mechanics for your beasties, seems to rely on exploiting synergy between models in a way that's really easy to screw up

Omodamos is very hard to run with 6 focus, trying to summon models every turn

edited September 2019
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    gYjAUUa.jpg
    The most infamous warcaster to ravage the Iron Kingdoms, Khador's Orsus Zoktavir lost his mind when Lola, his beloved battle axe, was destroyed in battle. Unable to lead, Orsus was stripped of his station and for his remaining days was sentenced to serve as one of the Empire's notorious doom reavers - penitent criminals chained to the arcane weapons that drive them into a berserker rage in battle. With his nation in shambles, Orsus now offers his formidable combat skills to fortune hunters while secretly on a quest to recover his long-lost Lola.

Orsus is a Fighter class Hero that excels at knocking out multiple enemies in a single turn. Thanks to his Berserk ability, Orsus doesn't just attack one other Hero in the arena; he attacks every Hero around him. Additionally, as he takes damage, he gets stronger, making him a threat that must be dealt with quickly before he gets out of hand.

OH DEAR GOD WHY WOULD YOU GIVE HIM A DOOM REAVER AXE?
    WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=444jQnFJAPI

Whoa. What?
    Gaspy as a Convergence jman warcaster? wat.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Have they released more info on warmahordes 40K?

I havn't heard anything about Warcaster. Don't think we'll hear anything until the run-up to next L&L, they're probably still knee-deep in dev and testing.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Wait, Warmahordes 40K? Are they making a future sci-fi Warmachine?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited October 2019
    Yeah, it's set in a different branch of the story, where the Infernal invasion happened... but the Cyrissists realized that the infernal contract was specifically looking for human souls on Caen. :ThinkingEmoji: So... what if we just built massive portals to evacuate the population off Caen?

And so they did, and something like seven thousand years later...

We havn't gotten many details on Warcaster: Neo-Mechanika, but it's supposed to be smaller scale in the number of models in comparison to WM/H.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    wat.

6BQFTpR.png?1

persona4celestia.jpg
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Any Trollblood players here? Just returning from a long break. Looking for list ideas.

steam_sig.png
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Is there somewhere that has collected the latest lore?

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Is there somewhere that has collected the latest lore?

If I understand correctly, the Riot Quest stuff is an "alternative timeline" where Caen gets destroyed, so the QR stuff isn't part of the "real" lore.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Sure... but I am curious as to what has happened since Mk 3.

In addition to crazy Riot Quest stuff too, but still the original timeline is important to me.

Sure... but I am curious as to what has happened since Mk 3.

In addition to crazy Riot Quest stuff too, but still the original timeline is important to me.

I know Oblivion has a bunch of fluff, but there is a bunch of stuff that I've seen reference to, but I can't tell where to actually find any of it.

edited January 2020
    I think a lot of the recent fluff lately can be summed up in a sentence.

“Goddamnit, Thamar.”

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I think a lot of the recent fluff lately can be summed up in a sentence.

“Goddamnit, Thamar.”

Today's entry was hilarious.
    Asphyxious comes in and saves the day. Everyone asks him why.

"Because you guys suck and we wanted to save your sorry asses because we're SOOOOO benevolent and soulless~"

Magnus of course, calls him out. "But you have a soul. It's somewhere. Probably well hidden, but after what you just did, they're going to start looking for it."

Basically gaspy fucked up and I bet they're going to find it. And I bet this is why he gets a new convergence body.

makosig.jpg
    edited February 2020

Looks like we're getting Warcaster information today!

EDIT: warcaster.com is live, and they’re going to be showing the system itself off on Tuesday next week.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    https://home.privateerpress.com/warcaster/?fbclid=IwAR1tAV7rknbgQNPFwVJEzoR0JF0rn02WkG2WkF76r01M--LqWCIU0MfuNHg

more info already out:
    • The actual warcaster isn't on the board, instead you have a deck of cards (player customized) that you use for spellcasting.
    • 20-30 models in a standard army.
    • Models that die go into reserve and can be brought back on through gates you can move around the battlefield.
    • Aesthetic looks like it's borrowing heavily from Infinity.
    • Models are resin/metal.
    • 3 factions at launch.

General consensus I've seen so far is "uhhhhhh."

Nobody on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

General consensus I've seen so far is "uhhhhhh."

Yeah, if most of the first reactions are "meh", you are not in a good place. This just shows again, how little PP has learned in communications in their 20 years in the business.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The name is terrible.

The models are... fine? They kind of look like PP doing fanart for 40k, which isn't bad but it's not exactly thrilling. Resin/metal for a new line in 2020 is uh, not great.

The reserves mechanic was a big part of The Other Side (the Malifaux designer's larger-scale game) which is the least fun I've ever had playing a tabletop game. It feels like designers have realized that tabletop games get bad when the game drags on and turns into a few grunts slapping ineffectually at each other, but instead of making the game not drag on they just decided you should always have a full army. Which is especially weird from PP, the company that solved that problem.

I like decks of cards but man I do not trust modern PP to balance both army stats and a spell deck.

Anyways I hope they do a public test/CID during the Kickstarter because I expect a complete mess and I am here for it.

edited February 2020
    Honestly, I assume it might be easier to balance Warcaster since there is no caster-kill victory condition. You don’t have to worry about a massive chain of attacks or weird rule interactions suddenly popping your caster and welp game’s over.

I really want to see the warjack customization system in action since that’s something people have been asking for years for. There’s four hard points you can customize.LArm, RArm, Shoulder-mounted, Cortex. Cortex is the only mandatory one. Curious to see what the Heavy Jacks will look like, since we’ve only seen lights so far.

Same with the Rack, which is basically your spell loadout that you c an customize. Some Furies (your attack spells) may require a Weaver (the arcnode equivalent) on the board to use.

Tuesday will be fun, want to see it in action.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Those models look cool, but god damn is PP bad at marketing.

Like, GW gives their licence to absolutely everybody for a reason.

Also, caster kill is....not a plus. When the way that many people are introduced to your game is "Well, you left a charge line open to your main dude, so I put a bunch of buffs on my dudes, pew pew/charge, GG" that's very much not great.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Caster kill is why Warmachine is good.

I wish there was a good way to access all the lore for the game.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Watching them play kinda made me excited?! Customizable Jacks. and actual terrain that’s 3D . Seems more my jam.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    I'm fairly excited for Warcaster (more so now then before watching the gameplay).

LOS has a pretty good article covering what information is out there so far: https://www.loswarmachine.com/news-theory-tactics/2020/2/25/warcaster-neo-mechanika-the-first-look?fbclid=IwAR1A2Napodry8GpHIuCYESx2GQTg45EAwF4C1-k5zAShhI3RLVKXCQhBOcg

I absolutely agree with their point about how the system gives the player with fewer activations more power (i.e. stuff died). Playing more and more SW Legion, I've seen how people game alternating activation to push an advantage.

Another pro is something I read on Reddit: with the cycling of models back onto the board you get to keep using the cool stuff that you really like and spent a lot of time lovingly painting. So even if your favorite model gets ganked or debuffed in one turn, you'll get the opportunity to use it again in the same game.

For me the biggest con is how swingy the dice seem. But that isn't a deal breaker for me so far.

Whenever the kickstarter hits I'll probably end up getting three battleboxes; one for demo purposes and two of whatever faction I like the best so I can play skirmish level pretty early on.