As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PAX East 2020 Challenge Coin Thread] 2021 Coin message on page 3.

SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited March 2022 in PAX East
Due to the Coronavirus, our coins got delayed, Kiddercorp should begin shipping them to us by the middle of the month.

Order Form!
https://forms.gle/pbffmGFqpvCuSScs8
To calculate your costs:
http://bit.ly/PAXCoinCalc

5qrzrpbltr4d.jpg
446mw3sf8k6f.jpg

Ready to Vote?
Here's the link to the last round of voting!

What's this then?
It's the Pax East 2020 Challenge Coin Thread!
Here's a bit of history about the PAX Challenge Coins

When can I order some?
Right Now!

Interested in one or more coins? Want to be notified for votes and when coins are ready to order? Fill out this form

Idea suggestion form
https://forms.gle/rwSqkf7HNiUmF1u16

Coin details.
1.75", as per tradition
Silver/Nickel, as per tradition.
Smooth Edges, as per tradition.
Theme: Let's figure this out together!

Previous coin threads
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/215727/2018-east-challenge-coin-coins-are-arriving-in-your-mailboxes/p1
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/222444/pax-east-2019-challenge-coin-batch-2-shipping-estimated-4-29-2019/p1

We need some ideas for good Boston Landmarks as well as ideas for the Gaming side!
Try to find Open Source images.
If you're in Boston, and feel like taking your own pictures of nearby landmarks, that would be great too!

zerzhul on

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    And so it begins again. Hopefully this time around I can be of more help than last year. :)

Either way it is always great to see this thread. Means PAX is closing in.

Thanks again for starting this up @SutibunRi

This will be the 10th PAX East coin.

Also for a past history on PAX coins take a look at t his wiki...

http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_Challenge_Coin

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
    Given how many coins have been produced are there any landmarks in boston left worth putting on a coin? :P

• bigfearsbigfears Registered User regular
    ah exciting stuff! can't wait for PAX East 2020! ty @SutibunRi again!

A few ideas for landmark side....

State House and Brewer Fountain (1)
    gxfldz3a78s3.png

State House Winter (1)
    sclo9c3pdfgq.png

State House Winter (2)
    ncq8s6cit855.png

George Washington Statue (1)
    tjy56cahc98y.png

George Washington Statue (2)
    5ezxbs1lcaia.png

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    given the february date it seems like a good winter pic is called for. I like that snowy state house!

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The George Washington statue would be a nice call-back to the first east coin that featured the Paul Revere statue.

• MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    The George Washington statue would be a nice call-back to the first east coin that featured the Paul Revere statue.

Agreed. I do like the look of the snowy state house and would not be heartbroken if it made the cut, but something about the callback feel on that Washington statue does it for me. Plus, it's a nice touch for those who maybe jumped in late to the coin scene.

As far as the game side goes, what's been our unofficial rotation?

erdub14zr3u2.png

MephistoN7 wrote: »

As far as the game side goes, what's been our unofficial rotation?

The original rotation was:
    Tabletop - Dice, Cards
    Arcade (Retro?) - Arcade Cabinet
    Portable - Linked Gameboys
    Console - Playstation/Xbox/WiiU controllers
    PC - A PC.

So far for the second 5, we have done:
    Arcade - Claw Machine
    Console/Retro - Duck Hunt
    Tabletop - Scrabble
    Retro/Arcade - Asteroids

So I guess PC or Portable are due make an appearance?

A couple Landmark suggestions were made in the idea form:
    Boston Garden
    John B. Hynes Memorial Convention Center

some more ...

New Garden (1)
    cpdfltydaavb.png

Old Garden w/ New PAX Logo (1)
    4q9t9q5sjha0.png

Old Garden w/ New PAX Logo (2)
    xbspcsrcxppq.png

Old Garden w/ Old PAX Logo (1)
    c4ck9x56zivo.png

The original picture of the Old Garden had a ad for Bud Light with Spuds MacKenzie on it and was cut off.
    ctojx3qmyuhr.jpg

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    Tried to find a good Picture of the Hynes that would look good on a coin but just could not find anything that worked... Be kind of cool as it was where the 1st PAX was held.

Finding pictures of the Old Garden of good quality is hard too but I think the one I found sums it all up nice with the old Green Line train on it. The train does not even go that way anymore lol :)

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • RenegadeTKRenegadeTK Central MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I like the winter statehouse and George Washington 2

• RenegadeTKRenegadeTK Central MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Maybe an Atari Lynx for the portable? Something that was a landmark device but not well known?

Next year will be....

30th anniversary of the Game Gear
    25th anniversary of the Virtual Boy
    15th anniversary of the Sony PSP

erdub14zr3u2.png

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I don't know how you would do the art for it, but you could have people standing in a line, and each one is playing a different handheld.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    Of the pictured landmarks I'm fond of State House Winter (2) and George Washington Statue (1), as both seem like simple and striking designs that would work well with and without color. That said, I rather like the idea of using the Hynes as both the tenth coin and as the tenth anniversary of the Hynes PAX East, assuming there is a sufficiently iconic picture. Maybe something like this, pulled from the Pokemon 2015 World Championships of all places:

er45s208aoo7.jpg

Game-wise, the Virtual Boy would certainly be an amusing portable pick for it's 25th anniversary, though I'm not sure how best to display it. Portable year also seems like an opportunity to make a Switch coin, potentially reusing the Tetris idea from last year as the specific game being played. Are there any portable games/systems particularly iconic to PAX East?

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
    edited October 2019
    @Xenigma This is the 10th coin but it is the 11th PAX East. The First year of PAX was at the Hynes but there was no coin then.

I saw that picture of the Hynes too but didn't think it really showcased the venue much. Just looks like a building. LOL.

If only this was a better shot to see the PAX East logo...
    t7fp54iq5qbd.jpg

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    Sepioth wrote: »
    @Xenigma This is the 10th coin but it is the 11th PAX East. The First year of PAX was at the Hynes but there was no coin then.

That's the point: 2020 will be ten years after the Hynes, hence 10th anniversary even though it will technically be the 11th show.

In any case, if the place just doesn't photograph well it doesn't necessarily need to be put on a coin, though it'd be a nice tribute if we can make it work.

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    What you really want is the original architectural plans, which will have a nice front elevation, but I haven't been able to track them down. In the meantime here's a good shot that shows the iconic overhang.

36567480965_5435452854_b.jpg

There are more here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/signatureboston/sets/72157675685524436/

ilta on
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    Next year will be....

30th anniversary of the Game Gear
    25th anniversary of the Virtual Boy
    15th anniversary of the Sony PSP

20th for PS2

• MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

I saw that picture of the Hynes too but didn't think it really showcased the venue much. Just looks like a building. LOL.

If only this was a better shot to see the PAX East logo...
    t7fp54iq5qbd.jpg

Hey, that's my photo. It was difficult to get a photo of the entrance because you basically had to stand in the middle of the street and you couldn't get a good shot of the whole thing without being somewhat far away.

Here's a shot I got from directly across the street.

https://giantbomb1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/0/1992/1313951-dsc03311.jpg

Marino on
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    A few ideas for landmark side....
    State House Winter (1)
    sclo9c3pdfgq.png
    Looooooove this one!

edited October 2019
    @TopherRocks Yeah that so far is one of my favorites too... I like the Old Garden with the Greenline train in it too.

@Marino lol that's pretty cool. I think you have the only pictures that are online (at least searchable by Google anyway) showing PAX East 2010 from the outside :)
    I never went to original site I got photo from. Went back.. I see you posted quite a few pictures of PAX East 2010 .. lol.
    What does the purple badge in sig mean?

@ilta Thanks for that picture.
    Hynes (1)
    fdugcvambqu0.png

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    Purple badge is Unplugged in Philly. Coming up in December.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Marino wrote: »
    20th for PS2

Yeah, but I was keeping with the handheld theme.

Virtual Boy is the more amusing choice, but agreed in not sure how to properly show it.

erdub14zr3u2.png

@Marino lol that's pretty cool. I think you have the only pictures that are online (at least searchable by Google anyway) showing PAX East 2010 from the outside :)
    I never went to original site I got photo from. Went back.. I see you posted quite a few pictures of PAX East 2010 .. lol.

Yeah. I take hundreds of photos at every PAX. I try to capture as much as possible. In my mind, the ridiculous goal is that if someone wanted to recreate PAX East 2010 (for example), they could do it from my photos.

If you go to the PAX wiki page on Giant Bomb for any of the events you see in my sig, you will find hundreds of photos from each in the galleries.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    For the gaming side, maybe you could do something celebrating the year of the minis, you know? NES classic, SNES classic, Genesis mini, PS classic, Commodore 64 mini, TurboGFX mini, am I missing any more? Just a suggestion.

If anyone else has any ideas, please, post away!
    I'm hoping to start preliminary votes soon :)

• SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
  • Chaotic IgnoranceChaotic Ignorance Registered User regular
    Is there any way to order coins from past pax events?

And I suppose while I'm here I could make a suggestion. It might not be all-ages-inclusive, but what about the Cheers Beacon Hill bar for a landmark?

And I suppose while I'm here I could make a suggestion. It might not be all-ages-inclusive, but what about the Cheers Beacon Hill bar for a landmark?

You can contact Kiddercorp directly about past coins. Not sure what they have available or in stock.

4dm3dwuxq302.png

I have a few copies of old East coins laying around (I have none from last year)

Ooooh... Cheers.

• PlatinumTPlatinumT Registered User new member
    1o2undml7l9j.jpg
    What about this for an image, it joins the snow with the Washington statue

• brokenvegetablebrokenvegetable Virtual Photographer BostonRegistered User regular
    inzoatjoq7yc.jpeg
    ub3au93gj7xw.jpeg

• brokenvegetablebrokenvegetable Virtual Photographer BostonRegistered User regular
    I always figure the turnpike the biggest icon of Massachusetts aside from a huge rock

Or we could do an inception photo of photos from past pax like an older logo inside an older logo inside an older logo type thing ... maybe that too complex though

Have you done the bridge everyone freezes on waiting for security? :)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Have we ever done a challenge coin for east that just copied the old MBTA tokens? Like you could do one side with the MBTA token design and then the other with a common arcade token design and just make the challenge coin a big token.

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Have we ever done a challenge coin for east that just copied the old MBTA tokens? Like you could do one side with the MBTA token design and then the other with a common arcade token design and just make the challenge coin a big token.

I love stuff like that but it may be a bit out of place. I'm not sure they were ever used during PAX time in the city. I remember getting a Charlie Card to get around during my first PAX.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Sleep wrote: »

I love stuff like that but it may be a bit out of place. I'm not sure they were ever used during PAX time in the city. I remember getting a Charlie Card to get around during my first PAX.

Oh yeah no they're definitely an artifact of the early to mid aughts. I think they stopped being sold in 06 however they were a valid form of payment on the mbta up until July of 2012. It would have been a cooler motif last year as it would have been the 100 year anniversary of their first implementation, but I've always been a fan of the car side of the token.

Sleep on
  • ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular
    How have we managed to ignore South Station thus far?

This discussion has been closed.